inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Video Killed the Radio Star

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/05 at 11:39 am

Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles officially became a top 40 hit in late 1979, but it's often thought of as an 80's song because it was the video that launched MTV in 1981.  Do you think of it more as a 70's song or an 80's song, or both?

Subject: Re: Video Killed the Radio Star

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/05 at 11:50 am

I've only ever thought of it as a 70's song, mainly because it saw all it's chart action in '79, but I actually voted for 'Both'.

What most people don't know was that Bruce Woolley (who co-wrote the song) did a new wave version of it with his band The Camera Club, that became an international hit also in late '79.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/09/05 at 3:08 pm

It sounds more '80s' to me... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/09/05 at 4:16 pm

Video Killed the Radio Star will always be a Seventies song.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 12/09/05 at 6:10 pm

80s

Written By: gord on 12/09/05 at 6:39 pm

I remember this song well when it was a hit on the radio, right at the end of the decade, its 80s to me :)

Written By: Skippy on 12/09/05 at 9:26 pm

While it chronologically truly is a 70's song I feel it, as well as others, helped to develop the sound for the 80's commercialized mainstream new wave music that came later. Oh, and I voted for both.

Written By: Dagwood on 12/09/05 at 9:28 pm

80's, IMO, just because I associate it with the 80's.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/05 at 3:01 am

If you look at the UK Charts, Video Killed the Radio Star last week in the Top 40 wwas in November 1979 and had faded away from the charts long before 1980.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/11/05 at 7:43 am

If you look at the UK Charts, Video Killed the Radio Star last week in the Top 40 wwas in November 1979 and had faded away from the charts long before 1980.

Yeah, but that's simply chronological, not musical. I'm talking more the style and the "feel" of the song, or when it had its biggest impact.

I'd say 1978 or 79-81 were the musicallly transitional years (by 1982 it was almost completely 80's). There was a variety of styles hitting the charts in this time. Some of it was still very "70's" while some of it was synthesizer oriented, and as such, laid the groundwork for 80's music.

"Video Killed the Radio Star" was clearly the latter. In fact, it was probably a bit ahead of its time (MTV played a big part in the success of new wave, or otherwise "visual" bands).

Seriously, something about "VKTRS" always gives me goosebumps. I always look at the song as standing on the edge of an unexplored frontier, with the next big thing booming on the horizon, but still oblivious to us aside from speculation (that synth buildup towards the end really enhances this feeling).

Couple that with the lyrics, and it's like they were predicting MTV before it was even around. ;)

BTW, I was just thinking about the lyric "I heard you on the wireless back in '52". I realized it's only gonna be four more years before the same amount of time has passed for an equivalent lyric to say "back in '82"! That means MTV and that song are almost as "old" as the previous medium (i.e. radio) was when it was released in 1979!!

I wonder if around 2009, they'll come out with a song called "Satellite killed the Video Star"? ;D

Written By: Morton on 12/11/05 at 8:07 am

It will always feel like an 80s song for me, partly due to its appearance on 80s themed PS2 game Vice City

Written By: nally on 12/12/05 at 3:30 pm

Well, it came out a few months before I was born. But I do happen know a lot about the release dates of records that are older than me.

Since it was released in late 1979, I would have to go with it as a 70s song; however, I have heard it played a lot on stations that do "totally 80s" shows and things like that.

Lots of songs tend to cross over into other years...especially at the transitions to new decades. (Others that carried over from 1979 into 1980 include Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2", Tom Petty's "Refugee" and Michael Jackson's "Rock With You".) I tend to associate records with when they first hit the charts.

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/05 at 5:25 pm

Well, it came out a few months before I was born. But I do happen know a lot about the release dates of records that are older than me.

Since it was released in late 1979, I would have to go with it as a 70s song; however, I have heard it played a lot on stations that do "totally 80s" shows and things like that.

Lots of songs tend to cross over into other years...especially at the transitions to new decades. (Others that carried over from 1979 into 1980 include Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2", Tom Petty's "Refugee" and Michael Jackson's "Rock With You".) I tend to associate records with when they first hit the charts.

"Another Brick in the Wall" and "Refugee" just squeezed into the 80's peaking on the charts in the 3rd and 4th week of January 1980  8)

I see Refugee on alot of 70's compilations, but never 80's compilations  :\'(

Written By: nally on 12/12/05 at 7:34 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/05 at 7:52 pm

But I bet they were released in '79 though 8) ^-^

They were yes.  'Another Brick in the Wall' actually spans three years.  It was written in 1978, released in 1979 and peaked in 1980  8)

Written By: nally on 12/12/05 at 7:58 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/05 at 8:00 pm

Amazing. (Or as Arte Johnson would say, "Veddy eenteresting!")

Was it recorded in '78 too?

I believe demos were recorded in '78, but it didn't officially become an actual song until late '79

Written By: nally on 12/12/05 at 8:08 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/05 at 9:21 pm

Some songs from '79 can be both a 70's and 80's hit, depending on different countries.

Written By: Paul on 12/13/05 at 4:28 pm

Chronologically, it's 70s...but the subject material can quite easily adapt it to the 80s...so I'll have both...

Incidentally, the Sugarhill Gang's 'Rappers Delight' can fall into this trap...'Rap' music is generally thought of as an 80s phenomenon, but 'RD' was actually successful in 1979...

Written By: nally on 12/13/05 at 4:30 pm

Chronologically, it's 70s...but the subject material can quite easily adapt it to the 80s...so I'll have both...

Incidentally, the Sugarhill Gang's 'Rappers Delight' can fall into this trap...'Rap' music is generally thought of as an 80s phenomenon, but 'RD' was actually successful in 1979...

That's right... I think of "RD" as a 70s song too, even though it peaked on the U.S. charts the very first month of the 1980's...

Written By: whistledog on 12/13/05 at 6:53 pm

That's right... I think of "RD" as a 70s song too, even though it peaked on the U.S. charts the very first month of the 1980's...

It actually peaked on Billboard on November 10, 1979.  It was actually still in the lower reaches of the charts in January of 1980 :)

Written By: nally on 12/14/05 at 12:47 am

It actually peaked on Billboard on November 10, 1979.  It was actually still in the lower reaches of the charts in January of 1980 :)

So it's in the "cusp" then?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/14/05 at 6:12 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: karen on 12/14/05 at 9:44 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: Paul on 12/14/05 at 10:07 am

I remember Another Brick in the Wall was doing well in the charts around Christmas time in the UK because we played it endlessly at our school Christmas party.

Written By: nally on 12/14/05 at 1:37 pm

Another song that is debateable is Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker". I believe this was released very late in 1979, but was a hit in '80. Now, her peak was the first half of the 80's, not to mention one of the early MTV stars. Throw in the fact that female rock stars really came to the forefront in the 80's, so yeah, I side with that decade too.

I tend to think of that one as an 80's song too; it became a hit right around the time I was born.

Written By: whistledog on 12/14/05 at 7:47 pm

Another song that is debateable is Pat Benatar's "Heartbreaker". I believe this was released very late in 1979, but was a hit in '80. Now, her peak was the first half of the 80's, not to mention one of the early MTV stars. Throw in the fact that female rock stars really came to the forefront in the 80's, so yeah, I side with that decade too.

That one almost made it into the 80's.  It peaked on Billboard the last week of December 1979.  It spent more weeks on Billboard in 1980, then 1979, so I would class it as an 80's song :)

Here in Canada, it actually was an 80's song ... it didn't peak on our charts until April of 1980

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/14/05 at 11:08 pm

I tend to think of that one as an 80's song too; it became a hit right around the time I was born.

Now I feel old!  :-[

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/17/06 at 5:07 am

Only recently did I find out it was a 70s song.  :-[

But I guess it is more 80s due to its affiliation to MTV and the like.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/06 at 5:12 am

More an 80s song, for sure

Written By: whiteport on 06/17/06 at 8:30 am

It's all 80s to me

Written By: whistledog on 06/17/06 at 6:06 pm

I've only ever thought of it as a 70's song, mainly because it saw all it's chart action in '79, but I actually voted for 'Both'.

What most people don't know was that Bruce Woolley (who co-wrote the song) did a new wave version of it with his band The Camera Club, that became an international hit also in late '79.  The North American release failed to chart in the States, but reached the Canadian top 40 in April of 1980

I must add to my own information.  The Buggles version peaked at #6 in Canada on February 23, 1980 :)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/17/06 at 6:08 pm

Both.  It was a song on their album in the 70s, but it defines MTV as it was the first video played.

Written By: nally on 03/20/07 at 9:58 pm

by the way, the poll has two options that say "80s song"...which one should I choose? :o

Written By: whistledog on 03/20/07 at 10:03 pm

by the way, the poll has two options that say "80s song"...which one should I choose? :o

It did once say 70s Song.  Must've got messed up when the site went down.  It now says 70s song once again

Written By: nally on 03/20/07 at 10:14 pm

It did once say 70s Song.  Must've got messed up when the site went down. It now says 70s song once again

Yeah, it would seem odd that a "7" would get changed to an "8" ::)

To me, it's still in the "cusp". :-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/21/07 at 12:04 am

So then you vote "both".

Written By: nally on 03/21/07 at 3:34 pm

I just might.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/23/07 at 8:45 am

80's song

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 9:13 am

Yeah, but that's simply chronological, not musical. I'm talking more the style and the "feel" of the song, or when it had its biggest impact.

I'd say 1978 or 79-81 were the musicallly transitional years (by 1982 it was almost completely 80's). There was a variety of styles hitting the charts in this time. Some of it was still very "70's" while some of it was synthesizer oriented, and as such, laid the groundwork for 80's music.

"Video Killed the Radio Star" was clearly the latter. In fact, it was probably a bit ahead of its time (MTV played a big part in the success of new wave, or otherwise "visual" bands).

Seriously, something about "VKTRS" always gives me goosebumps. I always look at the song as standing on the edge of an unexplored frontier, with the next big thing booming on the horizon, but still oblivious to us aside from speculation (that synth buildup towards the end really enhances this feeling).

Couple that with the lyrics, and it's like they were predicting MTV before it was even around. ;)

BTW, I was just thinking about the lyric "I heard you on the wireless back in '52". I realized it's only gonna be four more years before the same amount of time has passed for an equivalent lyric to say "back in '82"! That means MTV and that song are almost as "old" as the previous medium (i.e. radio) was when it was released in 1979!!

I wonder if around 2009, they'll come out with a song called "Satellite killed the Video Star"? ;D

I've always associated it w/ the 80s (probably b/c of the MTV association).  If anyone does come out w/ a song about Satellite, we can all say that you predicted it!  :)    Right now they could say "Reality" killed the M in MTV.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/23/07 at 3:03 pm

How about "Radiation Killed The Video Star?"  ;D ;D ;D

http://www.ba.no/multimedia/archive/00108/Michael_Jackson_108752a.jpg

Written By: statsqueen on 03/23/07 at 3:05 pm

How about "Radiation Killed The Video Star?"  ;D ;D ;D

http://www.ba.no/multimedia/archive/00108/Michael_Jackson_108752a.jpg

;D  ;D Truly an image I for one could have done without.  Although, now that you have brought him up, I recently read of his diva-like behavior and signing a hotel registry under a woman's name.  I guess he had a boatload of bodyguards for 2 of the 3 kids and took up at least one whole floor.

Written By: Banks on 03/30/07 at 6:25 am

Im definately chosing 70's song for VKTRS.

The same goes for Refugee and Brick In The Wall Part II. I always go from what year the song was released first, be it as an album track or a single.

Now, yes, it definately does have elements of 80's synth in there, but then, many songs did from 1978 through 1979...Hell, a lot of Blondie's songs sounded 80's to me, even though many werent. I guess you could say that VKTRS was where synth/disco was heading in the final stages of the 70's and paved the way for New Wave in the 1980's.

Also, as for the varying styles evident in the early 1980's, 1950's style music was back then too with people like Shakin Stevens. Though, it could be argued that Blondie's In The Flesh from 1977 began that trend.

AN

Written By: freeridemt on 04/02/07 at 6:15 pm

There are so many good songs that came out in the late 70's , but so many will always be considered 80's because of MTV.  You can look at the early 80's as well for one fate full  day in Chicago's old Comiskey ballpark. What was slated to be a good day for disco turned into very nasty riot which saw the we hate disco chant that soon swept Nation. The end of the disco era went out of favor faster then any other style.  The only thing that might have riveled it was the end of the hair metal bands.
Funny how sometimes the styles that took the longest to be embraced as a whole.  Where gone in a puff of smoke.

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/02/07 at 6:42 pm

There are so many good songs that came out in the late 70's , but so many will always be considered 80's because of MTV.  You can look at the early 80's as well for one fate full  day in Chicago's old Comiskey ballpark. What was slated to be a good day for disco turned into very nasty riot which saw the we hate disco chant that soon swept Nation. The end of the disco era went out of favor faster then any other style.  The only thing that might have riveled it was the end of the hair metal bands.
Funny how sometimes the styles that took the longest to be embraced as a whole.  Where gone in a puff of smoke.

Yeah, I agree that incident in mid 1979 was the beginning of Disco's decline and backlash, although it took awhile for it to completely disappear. It probably was no longer cool, but there were a number of pared-down Disco songs up as far as 1983. "Celebration", "Gloria" and "What a Feeling" had a vague Disco influence, even if they weren't Disco per se. It just mixed with synthpop. Even Michael Jackson, Prince, Laura Branigan and Madonna had a sort of updated residual Disco feel to their music, even if it was entirely '80s.

I agree about long lasting styles often disappearing pretty quick, though. Same thing happened with hair metal as you said, and grunge (even if its influence is still prevalent, actual grunge is long dead).

But yeah, I consider "Video Killed the Radio Star" to be a rare commercialization of early new wave.

Written By: mandamoo on 04/06/07 at 8:05 am

1970's

Check for new replies or respond here...