inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My fav Classic Rock songs of the '70s

Written By: Guest on 12/10/05 at 11:15 am

Here are the classic rock songs from the '70s that I love the most:

The Boys Are Back In Town- Thin Lizzy
Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen
Young Americans- David Bowie
Hold Your Head Up- Argent
Show Me the Way- Peter Frampton
Europa- Santana
Don't Fear the Reaper- Blue Oyster Cult
So Kind and Wonderful- Grandfunk Railroad
Walk On the Wildside- Lou Reed
Take the Money N' Run- Steve Miller Band
Spill the Wine- War feat. Eric Burden
Easy Street- ?
Werewolves of London- Warren Zevon
Sweet Emotion- Aerosmith
Freebird- Lynyrd Skynyrd
I've Seen All Good People- Yes
What A Fool Believes- Doobie Brothers
Blinded By the Light- Manfred Mann
Aint Seen Nothin' Yet- B.T.O.
Smoke On the Water- Deep Water

Unfortunatley I'm only 22 and wasn't around to hear these songs when they first came out.  Anyone in here remember when these classic rock tunes were still considered "new"?

Subject: Re: My fav Classic Rock songs of the '70s

Written By: gord on 12/10/05 at 12:40 pm

very cool list, and good to hear you like the old music, I've been listening to this stuff forever and alot of it still sounds fresh to me :)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/10/05 at 2:03 pm

Cool!  :D

About half of the songs you mentioned were "hits", so we got to hear them on Top 40 radio (just about everyone 45 and under listened to Top 40 in the early '70s).  For instance, Smoke On The Water.  At the time it was new, I remember thinking it was very cool.  On Top 40 radio, we might hear it sandwiched between, say, Al Green and the Carpenters.  That's how things were then - but we got to hear everything that was a hit.

(It wasn't until later in the decade that Top 40 radio lost out to more "specialized" stations.)

Most peers (I was a teen) liked the "classic rock" sound back then - of course, at the time it was just considered Rock or Hard Rock to us.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/10/05 at 3:28 pm

22 years old and listening to this stuff?  I'm proud of you. keep it up. I was in the car driving my 16year old daugh and her friend around and listening to their station, Kelly Clarkson, Coldplay, GreenDay,Avril Lavigne, etc. etc.  and then suddenly I hear the intro to Hotel California and think maybe some new group is sampling the intro and then will do their thing, but it was the full Eagles hit. Now the urge to ask them if they knew it came upon me, but if if they knew it's my music, they'd have me change the station so I kept quiet and just enjoyed and got to hear the whole song and not a word about it from them. That was interesting

Written By: Guest on 12/10/05 at 4:04 pm

22 years old and listening to this stuff?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/10/05 at 4:17 pm

Allowing them to control the radio is ok with me, because it's enjoyable to hear them sing along to their tunes and this is their time and their era in music so I don't mind. Pretty much at this stage in life, I am relegated to being the driver and the money man. I only have her for a couple more years than hopefully off to college. As for the music of today, I'll stick with what's worked for me and guys like Gord for 30-40 years, it still holds up to this day.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/11/05 at 2:57 pm

...I'm only 22 and wasn't around to hear these songs when they first came out...

I'm curious - if I may ask, at what point did you discover this music, when you were really young (early/mid teens or before), or later (within the last 2-3 years)?

Written By: whistledog on 12/11/05 at 3:59 pm

I am only 28 and I love alot of Classic Rock.  Here in Ontario, back in the 80's, they often played lots of 70's classic rock on the radio stations around here, so I remember lots of stuff, mostly Canadian Classic Rock :)

Written By: Guest on 12/11/05 at 6:40 pm

I'm curious - if I may ask, at what point did you discover this music, when you were really young (early/mid teens or before), or later (within the last 2-3 years)?

When I was 16.  I had just gotten out of a rap-loving/wannabe "gangsta" phase and I was seeking to distance myself from that and just be myself again.  Then my friend in school, who was the same age as me and was a bit of an alienated rebel in that he hated much of the popular music and fashions of the "in" crowd at school, got me into the classic rock that he listened to.  It started when he brought his Hotel California CD to class and let me borrow it and from then on in I was a classic rock fan  ;)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/11/05 at 9:23 pm

When I was 16.

Written By: bruce on 12/15/05 at 10:14 pm

any southern rock classic SKYNYRD MOLLY HATCHET  THE OUTLAWS  MARSHAL TUCKER  ALLMAN  BROTHERS BLACFOOT  all these bandshave many great songs  HIGHWAY SONG by BLACKFOOT is one of my teenage daughters favorites ITs always cool to hear your kids singing along to the great tunes of the 70s

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/05 at 11:23 am

I have mentioned this before a few times on this board (but for the "newbies" I will repeat it). When I was kid, I lived next door to a "garage band". They knew how to play one song and one song only, Smoke on the Water. I was hearing that song 24/7 and they were awful, too. To this day, I can't listen to that song without cringing. Even just the mentioning of the name, I cringe a little.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/16/05 at 12:27 pm

I have mentioned this before a few times on this board (but for the "newbies" I will repeat it). When I was kid, I lived next door to a "garage band". They knew how to play one song and one song only, Smoke on the Water. I was hearing that song 24/7 and they were awful, too. To this day, I can't listen to that song without cringing. Even just the mentioning of the name, I cringe a little.

Cat

Having an electric-guitar-playing brother and his guitar playing friends around, I can relate...    ;D

Fortunately they knew more than one song.  So they didn't quite ruin "Smoke On The Water" for me.  ::)

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/16/05 at 9:55 pm

Cat
8)  LOL!!!!!!! I can totally relate...My band played War Pigs...Over and Over... ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...