inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Little House on the Prairie

Written By: cs on 12/12/05 at 2:23 pm

Didn't watch this often enough as a kid to know the answer to my question.
Did the Ingall's give birth to a son?  I know a boy appeared at some point in the show (Alfred), but I don't recall how he came to be their son.  I don't think he was born to them, maybe he was adopted or something like that. 
Does anyone know?

Subject: Re: Little House on the Prairie

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/12/05 at 3:16 pm

8) They did indeed have a son...Laura was very jealous and then he died and she ran away to the top of a mountain to ask GOD to bring him back. Very moving and wonderful eppie..They also later adopted Alfred...and I remember several other children that were there at different points in time.

Written By: Carl on 12/12/05 at 3:43 pm

In one sad episode, the character of Alfred was written off the script as a result of a blood disease he would soon die from. However, they did not show him dying at the end of the episode, basically just living out the rest of his days in Walnut Grove, which I feel was a great way to have the character go out.

Written By: cs on 12/12/05 at 3:49 pm

The reason I ask:

Today at work there was no one in the break room and I turned on the tv.  LHOTP was just getting ready to go off.  Apparently, Alfred got hooked on morphine and he and Charles were leaving town.  At the very end, Laura is narrarating and says something like, "...we were happy when Alfred would return years later as Dr. Alfred Ingalls".

???

Written By: Sammy Reed on 12/12/05 at 8:52 pm

The reason I ask:

Today at work there was no one in the break room and I turned on the tv.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/05 at 9:31 pm

His name was Albert Ingalls.

Written By: Abix on 12/12/05 at 9:33 pm

The character's name was Albert, not Alfred. Albert  came from an abusive family. The Ingalls family adopted him. My favorite episode was when Albert  had a girlfriend who's name was Olivia. She was  raised by a single, very strict father. It turns out Olivia was raped by the town blacksmith who wore a harlequin clown mask. She ended up pregnant by her rapist, and everyone thought Albert was the father. Albert was going to do right by the girl and claim the child as his own and marry her. But then the evil rapist came after her again and she climbed up in the hayloft to get away from him and ended up falling and hitting her head . She died a minute  or two later but not before Albert  could  give her one last innocent kiss. I remember I cried like a baby. Albert was played by Matthew Laborteaux. He has a brother Patrick whom I've seen  as an  adult on various TV shows. I wonder whatever happened  to Matthew.  Ok, enough with all this useless trivia.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 12/12/05 at 9:43 pm

The character's name was Albert, not Alfred. Albert

Written By: Abix on 12/12/05 at 9:53 pm

OMG....that episode always scared the crap out of me! I would get so freaked out when they showed the rapist with that mask on. I guess I never did see the end of that particular show, because I never remembered her dying. That is so sad though...one of the most emotional episodes.  I always thought that the kid that played Albert was really cute!
  It was a 2 parter. Yeah he was  pretty cute.

Written By: Sammy Reed on 12/12/05 at 11:08 pm

That's right, ain't it?
Albert!
What was wrong with us?
I'll modify my reply with the correct spelling.

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/16/05 at 10:19 pm

8)  YES!! ALBERT...I cant believe I made that mistake also!!...Where is my head??

Written By: Marian on 12/20/05 at 7:46 pm

There were also 2 other adopted kids,a brother and sister.the brother was played by Jason Bateman.The sister was really irritating.I think they were only on for a year.

Written By: ADH13 on 12/20/05 at 7:51 pm

There were also 2 other adopted kids,a brother and sister.the brother was played by Jason Bateman.The sister was really irritating.I think they were only on for a year.

I don't think those kids were adopted by the Ingalls though... I think they were adopted by Mr. Edwards after their parents died in an accident or something.

Written By: Marian on 12/21/05 at 2:42 pm

I don't think those kids were adopted by the Ingalls though... I think they were adopted by Mr. Edwards after their parents died in an accident or something.
No,Mr.Edwards adopted 3 kids in season 2 I believe.These were adopted later,but their parents WERE killed in an accident.

Written By: schmartypantz on 12/22/05 at 9:36 pm

Jason Bateman came in towards the end of the series. and when it 's final season came, it was called A New Beginnig I think. It just wasn't the same show. not nearly as good.
When Mary's baby died in the fire, that was about the saddest thing I'd seen on a tv show.
And Albert had a hand in that. Smokin' in the basement!

Written By: danootaandme on 12/23/05 at 6:24 am

Albert was played by Matthew Laborteaux.  It didn't seem to me that he ever realy fit in. 

Written By: Marian on 12/27/05 at 3:05 pm

Jason Bateman came in towards the end of the series. and when it 's final season came, it was called A New Beginnig I think. It just wasn't the same show. not nearly as good.
When Mary's baby died in the fire, that was about the saddest thing I'd seen on a tv show.
The show took a lot of liberties with the books.mary never maRRIED OR HAD A BABY,AND THERE NEVER WAS AN aLBERT!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 12/27/05 at 10:12 pm

The show took a lot of liberties with the books.mary never maRRIED OR HAD A BABY,AND THERE NEVER WAS AN aLBERT!

I guess the producers had to keep new characters coming in etc.

The little boy I was a nanny to when I lived in the US is a decendent of Laura Ingalls Wilder. His grandmother is the owner of the original diaries and she showed them to me one time. I always thought it was cute that when he was old enough to understand the show - he could watch the repeats and it would be his family history right there on the screen. 

I have only ever seen two or three episodes of the show as I grew up without TV.

Written By: Marian on 12/29/05 at 3:06 pm

I guess the producers had to keep new characters coming in etc.

The little boy I was a nanny to when I lived in the US is a decendent of Laura Ingalls Wilder. His grandmother is the owner of the original diaries and she showed them to me one time. I always thought it was cute that when he was old enough to understand the show - he could watch the repeats and it would be his family history right there on the screen.

Written By: KKay on 12/29/05 at 3:08 pm

then who is alonzo?
am I htinking of the right show (but typing badly?)

Written By: Marian on 12/29/05 at 7:32 pm

then who is alonzo?
am I htinking of the right show (but typing badly?)

That's Almanzo,Laura's future husband.He really did exist.

Written By: KKay on 12/30/05 at 12:57 am

That's Almanzo,Laura's future husband.He really did exist.

oooohhhh. I thought his hairstyle was always a bit too modern.

Written By: Marian on 12/30/05 at 2:09 pm

oooohhhh. I thought his hairstyle was always a bit too modern.
well during the Civil war and earlier men often had longer hair.

Written By: KKay on 12/30/05 at 2:53 pm

well during the Civil war and earlier men often had longer hair.

with mousse added and then blown dry.... :)

Written By: Marian on 01/03/06 at 3:27 pm

with mousse added and then blown dry.... :)
I don'tnmow if they used mousse then.But a lot of men in the 1800s would cut theuir hair,and then not cut it again for a long time,so it would look overgrown like many men from the 70s.

Written By: oh snap on 04/30/06 at 12:26 pm

I wonder how he was a descendant...Laura had one living child (Rose whom had no children).  Mary, Carrie, and Grace had no children.  Laura's only brother died from SIDs.

I have only ever seen two or three episodes of the show as I grew up without TV.

Written By: Marian on 05/10/06 at 1:54 pm

I wonder how he was a descendant...Laura had one living child (Rose whom had no children).  Mary, Carrie, and Grace had no children.  Laura's only brother died from SIDs.

I thought Rose had children.I know mary never did,despite the show's storyline.

Written By: vinyl lover on 05/11/06 at 12:38 am

The character's name was Albert, not Alfred. Albert  came from an abusive family. The Ingalls family adopted him. My favorite episode was when Albert  had a girlfriend who's name was Olivia. She was  raised by a single, very strict father. It turns out Olivia was raped by the town blacksmith who wore a harlequin clown mask. She ended up pregnant by her rapist, and everyone thought Albert was the father. Albert was going to do right by the girl and claim the child as his own and marry her. But then the evil rapist came after her again and she climbed up in the hayloft to get away from him and ended up falling and hitting her head . She died a minute  or two later but not before Albert  could  give her one last innocent kiss. I remember I cried like a baby. Albert was played by Matthew Laborteaux. He has a brother Patrick whom I've seen  as an  adult on various TV shows. I wonder whatever happened  to Matthew.  Ok, enough with all this useless trivia.
since we're correcting each other...the girlfriends' name was sylvia, not olivia...just thought i put in my two cents :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/30/07 at 8:50 pm

since we're correcting each other...the girlfriends' name was sylvia, not olivia...just thought i put in my two cents :D

that episode always gave me a creepy feeling.

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/07 at 8:59 pm

I never really watched much of this show, but what I saw was ok.  I liked the 80s run, which was re-titled "Little House: A New Beginning".  It's weird seeing Shannon Doherty as a little kid.  I'll always know her as bitchy Brenda on 90210 lol

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/30/07 at 9:02 pm

I never really watched much of this show, but what I saw was ok.  I liked the 80s run, which was re-titled "Little House: A New Beginning".  It's weird seeing Shannon Doherty as a little kid.  I'll always know her as bitchy Brenda on 90210 lol

haahaha..ya, she was annoying Jenny with little braids on Little House: A New Beginning. ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/03/07 at 8:08 pm

I never read the books so I didn't know that Mary never had a son.  I just watched the episode where Mary's son dies in the fire. I remember being so sad about that in 1980 but having just watched it on Tuesday- I realize now that Mary killed her son.  It's crazy. There she was sitting next to the crib talking to the baby when Adam comes in and says Mary there's a fire. She gets up and leaves the room but leaves the frickin baby in the crib. Poor Alice dies trying to save the baby.

Interesting aside here.... if you care.  The ep where Alice and Adam Jr die aired 1/28 & 2/4 1980.  In Wilder and Wilder, 2/11/80 Alice's husband isn't going to be around to participate in the "town fair" (or whatever it was) because it's Alice's mother's birthday and he "promised that he would go with her" she died in the episode the week before. If they shot these out of order they could have fixed this error in editing.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/07 at 9:52 pm

I never read the books so I didn't know that Mary never had a son.  I just watched the episode where Mary's son dies in the fire. I remember being so sad about that in 1980 but having just watched it on Tuesday- I realize now that Mary killed her son.  It's crazy. There she was sitting next to the crib talking to the baby when Adam comes in and says Mary there's a fire. She gets up and leaves the room but leaves the frickin baby in the crib. Poor Alice dies trying to save the baby.

Interesting aside here.... if you care.  The ep where Alice and Adam Jr die aired 1/28 & 2/4 1980.  In Wilder and Wilder, 2/11/80 Alice's husband isn't going to be around to participate in the "town fair" (or whatever it was) because it's Alice's mother's birthday and he "promised that he would go with her" she died in the episode the week before. If they shot these out of order they could have fixed this error in editing.

wow..I never realized that before. I knew that Alice tried to save the baby...but I forgot that Mary just took off...I wonder why?

Written By: snozberries on 05/05/07 at 10:20 am

wow..I never realized that before. I knew that Alice tried to save the baby...but I forgot that Mary just took off...I wonder why?

There was a shed on fire behind my apartment once. It was after midnight and I woke to an apt. filled with smoke. I was running around trying to figure out where my shoes were and once I found them I ran out of the apt. I was frantic but I remembered to take my dog...so I don't know why Mary would forget the kid. Weird.

Written By: Marian on 05/05/07 at 2:46 pm

yeah,no wonder he started usiong drugs!

Written By: Marian on 05/05/07 at 2:49 pm

She was blind--maybe he thought alice could get him with no problem?

Written By: snozberries on 05/05/07 at 3:55 pm

She was blind--maybe he thought alice could get him with no problem?

No she was sitting right next to the crib. Alice had run up with Hester Sue to get the other children, Adam got Mary. Adam says Mary there's a fire, Mary stands up from the crib and goes out the door with Adam leaving Jr in the crib she was just sitting next to.  Poor parenting skills.

Written By: Marian on 05/06/07 at 3:44 pm

No she was sitting right next to the crib. Alice had run up with Hester Sue to get the other children, Adam got Mary. Adam says Mary there's a fire, Mary stands up from the crib and goes out the door with Adam leaving Jr in the crib she was just sitting next to.  Poor parenting skills.
She probably should have just given the baby to Adam.

Written By: snozberries on 05/06/07 at 5:01 pm

She probably should have just given the baby to Adam.

Yeah I had a hard time telling if Adam was still blind at this time or not... remember he had surgery to restore his sight. Sometimes he appeared blind but sometimes it seemed like he had his sight. I think that's because of the acting tho. At the dedication ceremony at the end of part two he was standing with a walking stick/cane which implies he was still blind.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/06/07 at 10:38 pm

Yeah I had a hard time telling if Adam was still blind at this time or not... remember he had surgery to restore his sight. Sometimes he appeared blind but sometimes it seemed like he had his sight. I think that's because of the acting tho. At the dedication ceremony at the end of part two he was standing with a walking stick/cane which implies he was still blind.

I always thought he looked like a real blind person..the way his eyes were.

Written By: Marian on 05/10/07 at 12:25 pm

he was strill blind then.

Subject: Re: Little House on the Prairie rose wilder lane

Written By: ninny on 10/17/07 at 9:03 am

after reading everyone's discussion on little house on the prairie i looked a few things up. Rose Wilder Lane had an informall adopted grandson with whom she made an heir, he got all rights to the little house books, his name wasRoger MacBride, he was a politician, he also co-produced the little house tv series, he died in 1995,and his family kept the rights to the books.......for the subject of Mary leaving her baby during the fire,when Adam told her there was a fire she went to help get the rest of the blind children outof the school,then she mentioned to adam about the baby, and he said Alice will get him....also i found Albert Ingalls to be an interesting & complex character,even though he never existed in the books,he was adopted by the ingalls,he started the fire along with another boy that lead to the deaths of Adam jr& Alice Garvey,he had a girlfriend that was raped and eventually died, he was addicted to moraphine, he got a blood disease and either died or became a doctor,i'm not sure

Written By: Dude111 on 10/17/07 at 11:37 am

I used to love that show!

I remember the last one where they totally destroyed everything due to that stupid guy!!!! :(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/17/07 at 11:51 am

I remember the last one where they totally destroyed everything due to that stupid guy!!!! :(

that one was SO depressing! :(

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/07 at 7:53 pm

Michael Landon wanted to blow up the sets because he didn't want them get used in other movies and TV shows. Plus they say he kinda had fun doing it... like a little kid watching things go boom. He was sad about the show ending but got to end it on his terms. That's kinda cool

Written By: snozberries on 10/17/07 at 7:57 pm

after reading everyone's discussion on little house on the prairie i looked a few things up. Rose Wilder Lane had an informall adopted grandson with whom she made an heir, he got all rights to the little house books, his name wasRoger MacBride, he was a politician, he also co-produced the little house tv series, he died in 1995,and his family kept the rights to the books.......for the subject of Mary leaving her baby during the fire,when Adam told her there was a fire she went to help get the rest of the blind children outof the school,then she mentioned to adam about the baby, and he said Alice will get him....also i found Albert Ingalls to be an interesting & complex character,even though he never existed in the books,he was adopted by the ingalls,he started the fire along with another boy that lead to the deaths of Adam jr& Alice Garvey,he had a girlfriend that was raped and eventually died, he was addicted to moraphine, he got a blood disease and either died or became a doctor,i'm not sure

Have you watched these episodes lately because when I wrote about Mary and the baby in the fire I had seen the episode the day before. It didn't seem like she was rushing to save the other children. They ran for the stairs then Mary said...oh the baby (or whatever) then poor Alice ran to get him- I thought she volunteered to go back and get him- Hester Sue and Alice were already getting the kids outs, Adam went for Mary so- sorry but I think they killed the baby (& Alice) because they panicked.

Subject: Little House on the Prairie

Written By: Dude111 on 10/17/07 at 11:00 pm

Michael Landon wanted to blow up the sets because he didn't want them get used in other movies and TV shows. Plus they say he kinda had fun doing it... like a little kid watching things go boom. He was sad about the show ending but got to end it on his terms. That's kinda cool
w0w i didnt know that!!

I thought they blew it up as part of the show cause that guy in the show was forcing them to sell the land to him.........

VERY SAD...........

:(

Written By: ninny on 10/18/07 at 6:34 am

Have you watched these episodes lately because when I wrote about Mary and the baby in the fire I had seen the episode the day before. It didn't seem like she was rushing to save the other children. They ran for the stairs then Mary said...oh the baby (or whatever) then poor Alice ran to get him- I thought she volunteered to go back and get him- Hester Sue and Alice were already getting the kids outs, Adam went for Mary so- sorry but I think they killed the baby (& Alice) because they panicked.
yes I'm sure that they panicked, plus when Mary went to go downstairs she didn't realize how bad the fire was.At the time Hester-Sue was saving the one boy who hid, so by the time anyone got to the baby the fire was out of control.

Written By: ninny on 10/18/07 at 2:18 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/butter.gif Thank god for the Hallmark channel,I am now watching the very first Little House episode again, but heck it was always one of my favorite shows..I even named my daughter Melissa, after Melissa Gilbert.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/21/07 at 11:45 pm

Sometimes I thought the show got overly sentimental at times (especially the mom, I thought she was really sappy) but it also could be hysterically funny as well. I especially liked it when Nellie Olson would act all spoiled and arrogant and inevitably it would blow up in her face and she'd make a complete ass of herself.

Written By: Marian on 10/23/07 at 2:16 pm

I always thought he looked like a real blind person..the way his eyes were.
legend has it some Indians think blue eyes are blind.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/12/07 at 2:44 pm

As you can see from my screen name I loved Little House on the Prarie. Every Monday at 8pm or did it move to 9pm after a while.  I think it was on after Alf and the show with Sandy Duncan and Jason Bateman...  I loved the episodes when Mary and Laura were little. Once Albert came it got too heavy for me. remember when he was in love with the girl who had been raped ? Let's not forget Alberts' drug problem.

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 1:57 am

As you can see from my screen name I loved Little House on the Prarie. Every Monday at 8pm or did it move to 9pm after a while.  I think it was on after Alf and the show with Sandy Duncan and Jason Bateman...  I loved the episodes when Mary and Laura were little. Once Albert came it got too heavy for me. remember when he was in love with the girl who had been raped ? Let's not forget Alberts' drug problem.

I like LHotP but I am not a rabid fan so forgive me I think the screenname needs a little explanation...please.

I really liked the episode with Albert's drug problem.  There are only a few eps that I remember watching when they originally aired. This one (okay two) was one of them. I thought it was done well and yeah maybe a little heavy handed but most eps were. I started watching them on TV Land a couple years back and although I didn't see them all you could see the love Michael Landon had for the characters by the way he would linger on them during the scene.

Even tho he held a special place in his heart for his half pint... didn't he call her that off camera too? Even if I didn't know the two were very close from her interviews I would have known it by the way he framed her in shots and the way he held a shot to keep her in frame long after the dailogue was over. 

So upon rediscovering the show a couple years back I was introduced to the episode The Country Girls. I may have seen it when it first aired but I don't remember that... I liked this ep. It may be one of my favorites because of the reveal that Laura couldn't read. Think... assuming it was true ( I never read the books but I think the earlier episodes stuck to the books than the latter eps- although I could be wrong about this-  anyway to think- Laura went from illiterate Country girl who didn't fit in to renowned author is pretty amazing.

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/13/07 at 8:17 am

My screen name refers to the frangrance Ma wore: Lemon Verbina. :) :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/13/07 at 8:52 am

I knew I remembered that from somewhere! ;)

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/13/07 at 9:16 am

I use alot Little House on the Prarie references. When my girl hair is a mess I call them : Hester Sue. And of course who can ever forget: Reverend Alden.

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 11:59 am

I like it...I love when people pick the most obscure reference from their favorite shows. You know something only another true fan would notice.  I'll watch some more eps so that we can chat about the show.  Did you catch my post on the fire tho? I wonder when the last time was that you saw that ep and what your thoughts are now that you're an adult (and also a mom).....unless like me your girl is your pet?

lol just kidding- sometimes I think I'm the only one who refers to my dog as their kid. 

Written By: lemonverbina on 11/13/07 at 12:24 pm

Oh I dont  remember the fire episode. My girls are actually girls lol. 4, 6, and 8. I have a "boy" named DJ who happens to be a cat.  I dont remember the fire episode very well except for Mary screaming

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 12:32 pm

Oh I dont  remember the fire episode. My girls are actually girls lol. 4, 6, and 8. I have a "boy" named DJ who happens to be a cat.  I dont remember the fire episode very well except for Mary screaming

When you come across it let me know what you think.

Written By: ADH13 on 11/17/07 at 7:02 pm

I noticed something odd a couple weeks ago when I was watching reruns of Little House...

I used to watch that show all the time as a kid, and there was this one episode on a couple weeks ago where Harriet had a restaurant and Caroline was working there, and then Nels opened a restaurant across the street to compete with Harriet... and at the end this old man pulls up in a wagon and tells Harriet he would like to buy her restaurant because he plans to open a restaurant that only serves chicken.. (it is obvious this guy is supposed to be Colonel Sanders) and Harriet laughs and tells him that would never work.... then she tells Nels about it and they both laugh.. I can't believe I never noticed that before.  Was that added on for the reruns?

Also there was an episode where Laura is trying to publish her book but the publisher wants to make a bunch of changes so Laura backs out, turns down the money and leaves... then at the very end they show a car going down the street, through traffic lights, pulling into the library parking lot, this little girl gets out and goes into the library and pulls out "Little House on the Prairie" by Laura Ingalls Wilder, then it ends.  I dont remember ever seeing that before either.

Anyone notice any odd things on the reruns you dont remember from the originals?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/07 at 9:10 pm

I noticed something odd a couple weeks ago when I was watching reruns of Little House...

I used to watch that show all the time as a kid, and there was this one episode on a couple weeks ago where Harriet had a restaurant and Caroline was working there, and then Nels opened a restaurant across the street to compete with Harriet... and at the end this old man pulls up in a wagon and tells Harriet he would like to buy her restaurant because he plans to open a restaurant that only serves chicken.. (it is obvious this guy is supposed to be Colonel Sanders) and Harriet laughs and tells him that would never work.... then she tells Nels about it and they both laugh.. I can't believe I never noticed that before.   Was that added on for the reruns?

Also there was an episode where Laura is trying to publish her book but the publisher wants to make a bunch of changes so Laura backs out, turns down the money and leaves... then at the very end they show a car going down the street, through traffic lights, pulling into the library parking lot, this little girl gets out and goes into the library and pulls out "Little House on the Prairie" by Laura Ingalls Wilder, then it ends.  I dont remember ever seeing that before either.

Anyone notice any odd things on the reruns you dont remember from the originals?

Oh wow....now that you mention it..I think I remember watching BOTH of those!! :D

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/07 at 10:39 pm

I used to watch that show all the time as a kid, and there was this one episode on a couple weeks ago where Harriet had a restaurant and Caroline was working there, and then Nels opened a restaurant across the street to compete with Harriet... and at the end this old man pulls up in a wagon and tells Harriet he would like to buy her restaurant because he plans to open a restaurant that only serves chicken.. (it is obvious this guy is supposed to be Colonel Sanders) and Harriet laughs and tells him that would never work.... then she tells Nels about it and they both laugh.. I can't believe I never noticed that before.  Was that added on for the reruns?

I do notice things like that but honestly I just think that was we get older we get more observant. When you were younger there was no reason to notice the KFC  ;) b/c you weren't tuned into so called pop culture references. Now as you're older, wiser and far more observant and in tune to these messages you notice these things... they frequently throw them in for adults anyway because they expect it to be over an 8 yr olds head.  I bet, if you have kids, they will see things in Spongebob that they never picked up... that show is totally written with a wink and a nod for adults!  ;D

I do remember the library scene at the end of that episode... every once in a while Michael Landon would through in something to show how something that happened what 70 years earlier (I have no idea what year it was set but I am sure it was after slavery and before cars.... I know there was an episode with a recording device- LV help me out... I wanna say 1870s - 1890s)

Anyway Landon would show how something that happened from their times ended up affecting modern day people... remember the one where the couple goes antiquing? They buy a table w/o knowing the origin. We learn that Pa made it with his bare hands. Got "famous" for the design but got behind making them by hand so some rich Ikea-like furniture dude stole the design and busted out a ton and sold them for like $5.  Charles lost his job making the furniture and he was talking about wanting a legacy and making a mark in the world and here his furniture carried his name- well logo....but it was kind of bitter sweet because here was this thing he poured his heart and soul into and no one could identify the manufacturer so the furniture lived on but the memory of Charles was actually lost....

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/17/07 at 10:43 pm

Anyway Landon would show how something that happened from their times ended up affecting modern day people... remember the one where the couple goes antiquing? They buy a table w/o knowing the origin. We learn that Pa made it with his bare hands. Got "famous" for the design but got behind making them by hand so some rich Ikea-like furniture dude stole the design and busted out a ton and sold them for like $5.  Charles lost his job making the furniture and he was talking about wanting a legacy and making a mark in the world and here his furniture carried his name- well logo....but it was kind of bitter sweet because here was this thing he poured his heart and soul into and no one could identify the manufacturer so the furniture lived on but the memory of Charles was actually lost....

Oh, I DO remember that one too...that always fascinates me to think about how antiques were owned and/or cherished by someone from the past...that's why I love them so.

Written By: sugar168 on 11/17/07 at 10:51 pm

i got real into watching LHOTP back in 97 during the summer...then at the end of summer i told my mom i would need to tape the show so i didn't miss the ending and my mom told me what happened...i was like how did you know? i had no clue that it was an old show...i thought it was new show and got mad when i found out it wasn't...she still brings that up to me often...

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 1:31 am

Okay so I saw an ep today that I hadn't seen before guest starring Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash. It was pretty cool!

Written By: little sis on 11/22/07 at 10:21 pm

Not usless I would have said the same thing.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/23/07 at 5:22 am

I once got into an bit of a tiff with a little snot who was very impressed my the glorious mansions of Newport and was saying how this one was built by Astor and this one by whoever.  It riled me, and I said that it wasn't them who gave the world masterpieces, they just paid for them.  There are people who did the actual engineering, designs, and hands on stuff.  Writing the check isn't anything.  It was the people with hearts and souls that brought forth the buildings, the art work, the furniture, the gardens, etc.  They are the ones who should be remembered.   

Check for new replies or respond here...