inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Led Zep Tune: When The Levee Breaks

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/13/05 at 4:57 pm

It had been a little while since I listened to my Led Zeppelin IV.  Until this September.  Someone on TV covered a couple of tunes from the disc, getting me to pull it out.  I knew I loved the disc but had forgotten what all of the tracks on it were (old age I guess)  ::).  As I read the disc to refresh my memory, a feeling of shock  :o  came across me when I spotted the tune "When The Levee Breaks".  The timing fell right in the midst of the Katrina disaster, as we all know the New Orleans levees did break.  Serious Twilight-Zone feeling for me...

Did anyone listen to that song recently (since Katrina) and have a strange Katrina-related reaction like I did?  ???

BTW it's a very bluesy tune that rocks  ;) ...

Subject: Re: Led Zep Tune: When The Levee Breaks

Written By: gord on 12/13/05 at 5:35 pm

IV is the album that got me into zeppelin in the late 70s, I've never been without a copy of it in one form or another. I've played it through a few times since the new orleans disaster and when the flooding was taking place I thought of 'when the levee breaks', and 'new orleans is sinking' by the tragically hip. :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/13/05 at 10:02 pm

That is a song that totally rocks. I've listened steady since it released 1971, like Gord I've always had it in some format and I didn't make the hurricane Katrina connection until you brought it up. Now that you mention it, it is a little eerie. I spent a lot of my mid-late teens on the levees of the San Joaquin River in Manteca, Ca. and when I hear the song it reminds me of that river. We knew those levees like our own backyard, so when I hear When the Levee Breaks & American Pie I think of the San Joaquin river which incidently broke and flooded a large area after I had moved away in the 80's. great album

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/16/05 at 10:16 pm

8)  Cant beat When The Levee Breaks....Led Zep RULES...They are my fave band of ALL time!!...I never thought about that song and Katrina untill now..that is EERIE

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/17/05 at 12:51 am

8)

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/17/05 at 11:15 pm

They are my fav classic-hard rockband too. I first heard them in my friends bedroom, listening to that weird part of whole lotta love, flicking the lights on and off for special effects. and then you get that speaker back and forth effect on What Is and What Should Never Be. I 1st heard Led Zeppelin IV with When the Levee Breaks while up in Yosemite Nat'l Park. that was awesome
  Yosemite is Awsome!!...BTW...I love Wilson..LOL...Led Zeppelin has been a MAJOR part of my life...I love ALL thier songs and each one makes me remember a special part of my life..

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/18/05 at 12:49 am

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/18/05 at 7:57 pm

8)  I saw the Plant Page concert too..at the Pyramid in Memphis..Great show...we got a hotel room downtown and rode the trolley...Plants vocals were a bit scratchy but it was still a great show

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/18/05 at 10:28 pm

8)

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/18/05 at 10:58 pm

8)  I know what you mean..my hubby is a chatterbox...( Just shut up..this is MY song..lol..)...We met a chick in the elevator that had seen Zep in 68..How cool is that!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/18/05 at 11:04 pm

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...