inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: No Cable TV and a 1960's TV that would'nt die!!

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/19/05 at 10:31 am

I was a teen through the 70

Subject: Re: No Cable TV and a 1960's TV that would'nt die!!

Written By: whistledog on 12/19/05 at 10:42 am

In the very early 80's, I never had cable.  We had a late 70's model Zenith TV with a 13 channel memory with push buttons and remote control the size of a brick.  By the time we got cable, we still had this TV, which meant we didn't get any of the other cable channels that went beyond channel 13  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/19/05 at 11:15 am

My parents finally decided to get cable AFTER I moved out of the house.  >:(  I really made me mad because I used to bug them a lot about it and they wouldn't do it but did it AFTER I left. When I finally moved into my own place, that was one of the first things I got.

Cat

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/19/05 at 11:23 am

8)

Written By: w on 12/19/05 at 5:46 pm

lol, I still have no cable, but I did upgrade to a remote TV! In truth,I'd just as soon listen to the radio, than watch most of the shows that are on now.      w.

Written By: zcrito on 12/19/05 at 6:58 pm

Oh, I remember when my parents first got cable TV -- Dec.1980.
I can also still remember some of the first movies I saw during that first month. And it wasn't HBO or Showtime but a channel called Spotlight I think.
Movies on television without commercials -- that was soooo strange!

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/19/05 at 7:07 pm

Before the days of cable, one of the occasional pitfalls of over-the-air TV, which was not uncommon back in the 70's but is almost never seen today, is this:

http://www.meldrum.co.uk/mhp/testcard/around_world/cbs_1.jpg

It seemed like the broadcasting equipment was a lot more delicate and unreliable back in the 70's than it is today. Growing up in Nebraska, I remember that a good thunderstorm would temporarily knock the stations off-line, and the "Please Stand By" screen would pop up. This used to freak me out when I was little. It seemed rather ominous to me, especially since it was always accompanied by a deep, authoritative male voice that would bark out "PLEASE STAND BY" every 20 seconds.

Written By: bruce on 12/19/05 at 7:19 pm

I grew up in the country we didnt get cable until i was in college it was83 or 84 .Before that it was the big three networks does anyone know if they even make console tvs any more

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/19/05 at 7:29 pm

I was a teen through the 70

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/19/05 at 8:41 pm

Fun topic!  ;D 

I lived in a rural area in the 70's.  I have no idea whether cable TV was even available where we lived, but I suspect no.  We were so far from a city, the signal was always weak.  Translate REAL SNOWY.  :P  Besides that we had junky TVs (although we always had several).  Mostly all black and white, never with a remote control.  The vertical hold problem, "flipping", is a very familiar memory...

Anyone else stick tin foil on the antenna to bring in the picture?  ;D

Written By: GREEN67 on 12/19/05 at 9:27 pm

And, as I once heard in a Jeff Foxworthy bit, "If the president came on, you were SCREWED!!! AAAAAAAUGH!!! IT'S THE PRESIDENT!!! HE'S ON EVERY CHANNEL!!!"

Written By: Skippy on 12/19/05 at 10:12 pm

To answer Bruce's question: Yes, they still make console TV's.
We moved to a rural area in 1969, and always had only local television. I still live in a local area and still receive local programming via off-air antenna with rotor, supplemented by a B.U.D. satellite dish. I remember us having a huge B&W console television with AM/FM stereo and turntable built in. We later had a color set built the same way and both of these were before solid state. I also remember the search for out-of-state channels when the atmosphere was just right, usually at night, watching through the snowy screen just to see something new and foreign to us.
Luckily we lived kind of in-between Indianapolis, Terra Haute, and Lafayette and could pick up a few independent stations as well as ABC, NBC, and CBS stations. The independents would continue with normal programming when the prez was on. I remember we got a PBS station in 1970 and watched Sesame Street a lot, back when it was a lot better.

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/20/05 at 6:10 am

Do you know what else I just remembered? For the do it yourself Mr. fix it Dads, a lot of drugstores and hardware stores in the 60

Written By: Cafe80s on 12/20/05 at 8:22 am

I still have no cable & i still have a TV in the dinning room that was our old late 70s family TV & yes it has no remote.  It is the only TV in the house that my field sequential 3D movies will work on, all that plasma, widescreen & rear projection is useless & the 3D won't work. I'd prefere an old picture tube TV from the mid 90s any day over all that over rated plasma, widescreen & rear projection crap anyway. It's funny how those old appliances are built to last & won't die compared the ones now that always seem to die just after the warantee runs out. We have a refridgerator in the garage that my parents bought in the early 70s when they got married & you know what, it's still running, you'd never see a refridgerator from this decade last more than 30 years that's for sure.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/20/05 at 11:40 am

Fun topic!  ;D 

I lived in a rural area in the 70's.  I have no idea whether cable TV was even available where we lived, but I suspect no.  We were so far from a city, the signal was always weak.  Translate REAL SNOWY.  :P  Besides that we had junky TVs (although we always had several).  Mostly all black and white, never with a remote control.  The vertical hold problem, "flipping", is a very familiar memory...

Anyone else stick tin foil on the antenna to bring in the picture?  ;D

We used tin foil, hangers (because the rabbit ears were broken) and just about anything else we could think of. We had this old B&W that had definately seen better days. The channel knobs were all broken (we had to change channels with plyers-but there weren't too many channels to chose from so it wasn't too much) and the on/off knob had broken off so we had to plug it in to turn it on and unplug it to turn it off. We were all happen when our grandmother gave us her t.v. which was COLOR!!!  :o

Cat

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 12/20/05 at 4:45 pm

As far as I could remember, my parents always had color TV's, but I also remember getting an old 60's Philco black-and-white TV as a hand-me-down from my older sister. I could hardly ever get any signal in, and I think we threw it in the city dump after only a couple of years due to its obsolesence.
  The first time I ever saw a remote was at an uncle's house up in Bismarck, N.D. in the late 70's. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing when I was a kid, but this particular uncle was a little on the crusty side and wasn't about to give up his remote, so I didn't get to mess around with it much. I remember that the TV was a Sylvania console, and what I thought was so neat about the remote was that the tuner wasn't a digital readout--it was an old-style dial tuner. The remote had + and - symbols for the channels  (as well as volume and mute), and when you held the channel button down it would automatically turn the dial, making this "CHUNK-CHUNK-CHUNK-CHUNK-CHUNK" sound as it flipped through the channels.

Written By: Skippy on 12/21/05 at 4:23 am

We didn't get color until probably the very early 70's. I remember the first color set we had was an RCA(in fact all my parent's sets were RCA). It was a console that had louvred doors which slid into pockets along the sides of the screen. When the TV wasn't in use, the doors would cover the screen. That set lasted into the early 80's. The parents still have the set that replaced it.
I know what you mean about todays junkey TV's. I bought a Zenith in the late 90's, it lasted less than 5 years. Something simple went wrong with it that cost $14.00 in parts & $20.00 in labor to repair, but I had to pay $75.00 to send it to the shop. It lasted 5 months and the same thing crapped out. I thinked they fixed the symptom & not the problem. I now have an RCA just like the folks.

Check for new replies or respond here...