inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kids Magazines and Comics

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/20/05 at 11:45 am

Anybody remember or uesd to like reading

Subject: Re: Kids Magazines and Comics

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/20/05 at 12:27 pm

Some of the ones I remember:

Highlights
Humpty Dumpty
Weekly Reader
Mad (of course)
Cracked
Tiger Beat (I don't know if there was a Teen Beat or not)
Dynomite
16 Magazine
Archie Comics

I remember a mag which was like a Cosmo for young girls. Can't remember the name of it.

That is all I can think of right now.

Cat

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/20/05 at 12:45 pm

Highlights
Humpty Dumpty
Weekly Reader
Mad (of course)
Cracked
Dynomite
16 Magazine
Archie Comics

I remember a mag which was like a Cosmo for young girls. Can't remember the name of it.

That is all I can think of right now.

Cat

WOW! I forgot all about Highlights! I used to read it in the doctors office and liked the "Hidden Pictures" on the last page!

Written By: Skippy on 12/21/05 at 3:59 am

Oh man, a friend of mine and I used to read Mad in study hall. We then would proceed to have Spy vs Spy wars. One would draw a scene on notebook paper and pass it to the other, it went back and forth 'till we had the whole page filled. Weekly Reader was always a favorite, I still have some Senior  Weekly Reader's from 6th grade. I remember the Eerie & Creepy comics series, many involved war stories. We had this one kid's mag, don't remember the title, that came in the mail and had spoof-like stories and cartoons. There was one for Bounty paper towels, renamed Bouncy. Another was about Ewel Gibbons, called Ewel Nibbles.

Written By: SweetAlice on 01/13/06 at 9:29 am

WOW! I forgot all about Highlights! I used to read it in the doctors office and liked the "Hidden Pictures" on the last page!

I loved Highlights! Especially because it was addressed to me. I didnt get much mail in the 70's so anything that arrived in the mailbox with my name on it was exciting.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/13/06 at 9:16 pm

I always liked the underground comics especially the
Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.Freewheelin' Franklin,
Fat Freddy and Phineas Phreak and let's not forget
Fat Freddys' cat.

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/13/06 at 9:18 pm

Highlights
Dynomite
16 Magazine
Archie Comics

all of these..and yeah,we had Teen Beat too  :)..Highlights and Dynomite came to mind right away for me when i read the title of the thread..loved the 3D glasses in Dynomite..oh and Seventeen was popular  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/13/06 at 10:55 pm

I used to love reading Dynomite and Bananas (And now for today's totally useless trivia fact: the editor of Bananas was none-other then (now) famous children's book author, R. L. Stine (writing as Bob Stine).

I loved Highlights too.

in my pre-teen years, I'd read 16 and Tiger Beat and Mad Magazine and Cracked
Twilight Zone magazine

As for comics, I liked stuff like "The witching hour", "Unexpected", "House of Mystery", "Ghosts", "The man ghosts of Doctor Graves", Ghostly Hauntings, etc. ad infinum

Written By: ADH13 on 01/13/06 at 10:57 pm

I think YM used to be known as "Young Miss"

Written By: TheRemf on 01/14/06 at 3:45 pm

I really liked "Mad" until about my senior year at Topeka High, when I became a major fan of "National Lampoon."

The underground comix I liked were a bit less mainstream than Loki's - Joe Blow, Captain Pissgums & His Perverted Pirates and Cheech Wizard.

Written By: Tia on 01/14/06 at 3:49 pm

does anybody remember there was a national lampoon article where this hot-shot play reviewer starts a review with the words "f**king incredible!" -- just as a placeholder, mind you, before he writes the review -- then writes the review of this f**king incredible play but forgets to delete the "f**king incredible!" from the top of it -- with the consequence that it runs in the newspaper and everyone figures, well, if he's using the word "f**k", it must be okay now.

then it becomes a fad to use the word "f**k" in EVERYthing, and the national lampoon shows a bunch of fake products with the word "f**k" inserted into them, until it dies off after the same people who make the goldfish crackers come out with little duck crackers called "f**kleducks."

it's GENIUS. and i can't find evidence anywhere that it ever even existed.

Check for new replies or respond here...