inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Our High School Summer Jogs (Good & Bad)

Written By: zotsfreak on 12/22/05 at 1:52 pm

I had a full time job for 3 of my 4 High School Summer Vacations that was bad only because of the summer heat. Outside of that, it was interesting, good paying, fun, PLUS, I got to meet lots of attractive young ladies clad in swimsuits or scanty summer clothes!! (There was a swimming complex adjacent to the workplace)
I was a Historic Re-enactor portraying an 18th century era British Redcoat Soldier in a reconstructed Historic Military Fort. (Old Fort Niagara in NY State)
We got to fire muskets, cannons, perform drills and do mock battles. NY State summers often have 90 degree plus days with 100% humidity, so our attire of a T-shirt, long sleeve oxford shirt, wool vest, topped by a two layer wool overcoat, heavy triangle shaped wool hat, long wool pants, and hard shoes worn while carrying a 13 pound musket made things miserable on the really hot days. 
All in all though, and since my co-workers were mostly my friends, I did have some pretty good times there.

Subject: Re: Our High School Summer Jogs (Good & Bad)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/22/05 at 2:01 pm

I had a temporary job at a department store the summer after my junior year of high school...

And then during my senior year I had a part-time job at a record store... 8)

Written By: Paul on 12/22/05 at 2:03 pm

And then during my senior year I had a part-time job at a record store... 8)

Nice one, Karen...

I'd probably have never escaped from there...!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/22/05 at 2:04 pm

Nice one, Karen...

I'd probably have never escaped from there...!

Yes, needless to say most of my 'earnings' went right back to the company!  :D

Written By: Paul on 12/22/05 at 2:06 pm

Yes, needless to say most of my 'earnings' went right back to the company!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/22/05 at 2:10 pm

I never had a 'part-time' job as such...I just 'transitioned' painlessly from school to work in seconds...!

Awww...you should've taken some time for yourself!

Written By: Paul on 12/22/05 at 2:15 pm

Awww...you should've taken some time for yourself!

Hm...thinking about it...yes, I should have done...

At the time, I think I was too pre-occupied in earning a living!

Written By: gemini on 12/22/05 at 3:51 pm

I worked in the office at school my senior year as part of my vocational school class.  I worked half day and went to school half day.  Sometimes I'd have to call my friends houses and tell their parents they weren't at school. I hated that part of it.  :(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 12/22/05 at 4:02 pm

I worked half day and went to school half day.

That's what I did, too, in my senior year...

My dad would let me drive our pick-up truck to school...then I'd go home early to do my homework...then it was off to work!  :D

Written By: vinyl lover on 12/22/05 at 6:19 pm

mine was not as fun as these others on here...i was a janitor in the summer between soph.-junior year..the money i loved but the work was boring..i had these two old men i worked with and all they did all day was cuss and smoke cigarrettes..just what a young impressional mind needed for role models ;D

Written By: TheRemf on 12/23/05 at 2:16 am

I worked on my uncle's dairy farm the first two summers.  I thought I was working for free, but he got me a 1965 MG Midget at the end of the second summer.

Next summer I was a good humor man.  I have only recently been able to eat ice cream and that job was in 1971.  It was a fool's paradise the first couple of weeks, then I got REAL sick of the stuff.

My last summer I worked at a convenience store. 

Pretty typical, now that I think of it.  Thank god for summer semesters the last two years, which enabled me to spend 6 weeks in Norman, Oklahoma (1971) and Blacksburg, Virginia (1972) and get prepared for going off to college for real.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/05 at 12:07 pm

I used to babysit. It wasn't just summer but year-round.  I did have a job at a theatre (not paying) as an apprentice in the summer before my senior year. That was a lot of fun. I even got to act in the children's theatre (which most of us apprentices were involved in).

Cat

Written By: w on 12/25/05 at 2:03 pm

I worked on a dairy farm several summers helping with field work, and one summer(Jr.-Sr) on a manual set sawmill. All these old guys(most were about at retirement age) were working at a trot for 10 hr.at the mill.  You got one break at lunch for 30 min. If anyone had to go to the outhouse everyone else had to work faster to keep up with the work. While I was there one guy was fired for running to his car at the end of the day! The boss told him if he had the energy to run he hadn't been doing his job that day! I couldn't let these old guys outwork me, if it killed me. I fell asleep at the supper table many evenings before I even ate. But I got the same pay as most of them did  minimum wage!  Wish I could still work like that.  W

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/25/05 at 9:00 pm

8)  Selling Christmas decorations door to door..and then selling candy bars the same way...  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...