inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: First Pro Baseball, soccer, NFL, NHL, or basketball(NBA or otherwise)you went to

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 12/29/05 at 9:25 pm

My first baseball game..Phiilies vs. Cincinatti Reds, July 1971, Phils won.

My first basketball game...1987, 76ers vs. Portland Trailblazers..Sixers won...Charles Barkley got major points in that game!

I still haven't gone to an Eagles(NFL) game...I wanna go when they play the New York Giants...a great rivalry!

I wanted to go to a New York Cosmos game when Pele played for the team..never got to go.

Subject: Re: First Pro Baseball, soccer, NFL, NHL, or basketball(NBA or otherwise)you wen

Written By: loki 13 on 12/31/05 at 1:17 pm

My first baseball game was the Phillies at Connie Mack stadium
in 1969,I don't remember who they played.

1st Football game was the Eagles was against the Cowboys in
1979,my father had season tickets.

1st Basketball game was the Sixers 1974

1st Hockey game was the Flyers 1983

I also saw a lacrosse game at the Spectrum in 1978
though I could't tell you who played.

Subject: Re: First Pro Baseball, soccer, NFL, NHL, or basketball(NBA or otherwise)you went to

Written By: alyceclover on 12/31/05 at 1:44 pm

Yankees at Yankee Staduim in the Bronx NYC...no idea who they played against..but it was Mickey Mantle day, a big tribute to him and think we got a free Mickey Mantle baseball bat.

Never to any Pro anything else (College games only) until I saw the Kings play I don't know in 1995 in LA California. (that's ice hockey)

Subject: Re: First Pro Baseball, soccer, NFL, NHL, or basketball(NBA or otherwise)you went to

Written By: TheRemf on 12/31/05 at 2:30 pm

Pro Baseball:  Opening Day 1973 - Cleveland Indians v. Detroit Tigers

Pro Football:  AFC Playoff Game Christmas Day, 1971 - Kansas City Chiefs v. Miami Dolphins

Pro Hockey:  Hartford Whalers v. Quebec Nordiques (1985)

Pro Basketball:  Boston Celtics v. New York Knicks (1985)

Subject: Re: First Pro Baseball, soccer, NFL, NHL, or basketball(NBA or otherwise)you wen

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 6:13 pm

Pro baseball:  Mets sometime in 78.
Pro hockey:  Rangers? 1980?
Many many knicks vs bulls since 1980 (80 -85 someehere in there)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/05 at 6:21 pm

Pro baseball:  Mets sometime in 78.

Me too-I think it was '78 or it could have been '79-'80.  It was at Shea Stadum against the Dodgers (yeah, the Dodgers won) They had a pre-game: the Met's wives against the cast from Happy Days (and Lavern & Shirley) for charity.  They also had David Hartman who was still with Good Morning America playing with the wives and some other guy. David Hartman was so funny. When the other guy missed, he would go over to him and slam his glove on the ground and start yelling at the guy. When one of the women caught the ball or did something right, he would go over and hug her. I did bring my camara and took pictures but I wasn't exactly the best photographer in those days. I have a very blurry picture of Scott Baio out on the field but you wouldn't know it was him by looking at the pic.  :-\\  But, I had a GREAT time. That was my one and only pro-game I have been to.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 12/31/05 at 6:28 pm

Me too-I think it was '78 or it could have been '79-'80.  It was at Shea Stadum against the Dodgers (yeah, the Dodgers won) They had a pre-game: the Met's wives against the cast from Happy Days (and Lavern & Shirley) for charity.  They also had David Hartman who was still with Good Morning America playing with the wives and some other guy.

Cat

sooo jealous!!
and Scott Baio?
It was such a cool area back then; when I go now ithe changes are astounding...I miss way it used to be
but it is certainly a nicer place now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/31/05 at 6:30 pm

sooo jealous!!
and Scott Baio?
It was such a cool area back then; when I go now ithe changes are astounding...I miss way it used to be
but it is certainly a nicer place now.

In those days I was more into Eddie Mecca who was also playing. Actually "the Fonze" was the pitcher.  ;D ;D  But, it was really cool.

Cat

Written By: Gaylon on 12/31/05 at 6:49 pm

Living in or near Houston all my life,, I've been to lots of Astros games, but my first was the second game in the Astrodome where Mickey Mantle and the Yankees played.

Never made any other pro sport, but I see lots of college baseball (have Texas A&M season tickets)

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/04/06 at 9:49 am

Me too-I think it was '78 or it could have been '79-'80.  It was at Shea Stadum against the Dodgers (yeah, the Dodgers won) They had a pre-game: the Met's wives against the cast from Happy Days (and Lavern & Shirley) for charity. 

Cat

WOW!  We were at the same game.  Small world.  You were at Shea on August 20, 1978.  I still have the program from the game in which the Dodgers beat the Mets 5-4.  The Mets wives were joined by NY Islanders' Garry Howatt and former Met Ron Swoboda.  The Happy Days Team shutout the wives 10-0.  :(

My first baseball game was in April of that year, when I saw the Mets beat the Reds.

My first NFL game was a Jets game (also at Shea) sometime in late 1980.

My first NHL game was an Islanders-Rangers game at Nassau Coliseum in 1979, at the beginning of the Islanders' dominant years.

I've never been to an NBA game and have no intention on attending one as I'm not a basketball fan.

Other big sporting events I've been to:
NLCS/NLDS are almost yearly events now that I live in Georgia.  Tickets to either series can usually be gotten at the window at game time.
1986 (Mets/Red Sox), 1991(Twins/Braves), 1996 World Series (Yankees/Braves)
1980 Winter Olympics (Lake Placid, NY)
1996 Summer Olympics (Atlanta, GA)
Wrestlemania I (MSG, New York, NY) (That's bound to impress SOMEONE!!!  :D)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/06 at 1:50 pm

WOW!  We were at the same game.  Small world.  You were at Shea on August 20, 1978.  I still have the program from the game in which the Dodgers beat the Mets 5-4.  The Mets wives were joined by NY Islanders' Garry Howatt and former Met Ron Swoboda.  The Happy Days Team shutout the wives 10-0.  :(

Way cool. I don't think I got a program (otherwise I probably would still have it-I never throw those things away). I think I saw you there.  Did you see me?  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/04/06 at 2:00 pm

Red Sox and Cardinals, Fenway Park, and I didn't go back to Fenway for quite a while.  This was
during the Yawkey years and Fenway was known for allowing the harrassment of minorities and
it happened to me.  Me being me though I stuck it out and rooted for the Cardinals, who won.  It
really is a wonder that I didn't get beat up, probably being female saved me.  If I was a guy I would
have been dead.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/04/06 at 7:18 pm

Red Sox and Cardinals, Fenway Park, and I didn't go back to Fenway for quite a while.  This was
during the Yawkey years and Fenway was known for allowing the harrassment of minorities and
it happened to me.  Me being me though I stuck it out and rooted for the Cardinals, who won.  It
really is a wonder that I didn't get beat up, probably being female saved me.  If I was a guy I would
have been dead.

Are you sure it wasn't the Baltimore Oriole's at Fenway?

Written By: hot_wax on 01/04/06 at 8:37 pm

July 1957, Yankee Stadium, Yankees vs Washington Senators beat the Yankees 2-1 but saw Mickey Mantle hit a homer for Yankees only run.

1961, NY Rangers beat the the Boston Bruins 3-2 in the old Madison Square Garden.

1962, Mets vs Braves in the old Polo Grounds NYC, Braves won.

1973? 74? NY Giants vs Washington Redskins at the Yale Bowl CN. Giants lost.

1967 US Open Golf Tournament at Baltusrol Golf Course in Springfield , NJ

They're my firsts

I don't like Soccer, hate tennis, love to play golf but hate to watch it on tv, in person is better. I was born and will die a Yankee Fan and Boston Red Sox's SUCK...hate them but respect them, I'm a True Blue Giant Fan and really hate the Dallas Cowboys they just SUCK without respect, but love their Cheerleaders...SWEEET BABES! Hockey?...well if the NY Rangers let me, I'd suit up today for them, love hockey too.

Racing cars is not a sport, they don't count...Am I Right?

Hot Wax

HW

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/06 at 8:51 pm

My first baseball game was in 1989 at Olympic Stadium in Montr

Written By: hot_wax on 01/04/06 at 9:05 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/06/06 at 8:56 pm

July 1957, Yankee Stadium, Yankees vs Washington Senators beat the Yankees 2-1 but saw Mickey Mantle hit a homer for Yankees only run.

1961, NY Rangers beat the the Boston Bruins 3-2 in the old Madison Square Garden.

1962, Mets vs Braves in the old Polo Grounds NYC, Braves won.

1973? 74? NY Giants vs Washington Redskins at the Yale Bowl CN. Giants lost.

1967 US Open Golf Tournament at Baltusrol Golf Course in Springfield , NJ

They're my firsts

I don't like Soccer, hate tennis, love to play golf but hate to watch it on tv, in person is better. I was born and will die a Yankee Fan and Boston Red Sox's SUCK...hate them but respect them, I'm a True Blue Giant Fan and really hate the Dallas Cowboys they just SUCK without respect, but love their Cheerleaders...SWEEET BABES! Hockey?...well if the NY Rangers let me, I'd suit up today for them, love hockey too.

Racing cars is not a sport, they don't count...Am I Right?

Hot Wax

HW
Hey, to this gal, racing counts, especially NASCAR and now IRL because of Danica Patrick...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/06/06 at 9:01 pm

First pro motorsports thing I went to was a truck pulling/ monster truck show at the Spectrum in Philadelphia...

as far as 'Sports Entertainment'...WWF at Convention Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey..it was NOT in the main hall but a smaller ballroom, which was cool because the crowd was close to the ring, great seating...When Harley Race and Pedro Morales brawled outside the ring...I was so close I could have touched 'em...it was that close up.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/06/06 at 10:03 pm

Hey, to this gal, racing counts, especially NASCAR and now IRL because of Danica Patrick...

Racing cars is not sport, it's an event you can only watch and can't participate, there isn't a Little League or a Pop Warner league or programs for kids in schools to get involved in  healthy competition using their bodies and minds in "team sports". Race drivers are not athelete's either, they are performers, they performer in the show for an audience who half go to see which one might crash and/or get killed.

So you like Race Car Drivers and your pen name is Tony Stewart, it just a coinsidence that a High School kid who played Football for our high school, played for Iowa State University and was drafted into Pro Football league with the same name Tony Stewart but this Tony was an athelete. So Tony Stewart AKA whatever gender you are or want to be, admit that I am right and Race car drivers are are like circus clowns in a 1 ring circus doing their act.

Your turn to stir the pot...I'm waiting

Hot Wax  

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/08/06 at 6:51 pm

Racing cars is not sport, it's an event you can only watch and can't participate, there isn't a Little League or a Pop Warner league or programs for kids in schools to get involved in  healthy competition using their bodies and minds in "team sports". Race drivers are not athelete's either, they are performers, they performer in the show for an audience who half go to see which one might crash and/or get killed.

So you like Race Car Drivers and your pen name is Tony Stewart, it just a coinsidence that a High School kid who played Football for our high school, played for Iowa State University and was drafted into Pro Football league with the same name Tony Stewart but this Tony was an athelete. So Tony Stewart AKA whatever gender you are or want to be, admit that I am right and Race car drivers are are like circus clowns in a 1 ring circus doing their act.

Hot Wax  

Hey, I love racing...Consider that one driver is competing against 42 other drivers who want the same thing he does...to win the race and get those points. And yes there is physical prowess required to drive stock cars, they are NOT like street cars that one drives to get to school or work...I suggest you read about racing legends, and the cars they race......http://www.nascar.com and http://www.tonystewart.com

Written By: loki 13 on 01/08/06 at 7:14 pm

Racing cars is not sport, it's an event you can only watch and can't participate, there isn't a Little League or a Pop Warner league or programs for kids in schools to get involved in  healthy competition using their bodies and minds in "team sports". Race drivers are not athelete's either, they are performers, they performer in the show for an audience who half go to see which one might crash and/or get killed.

Hot Wax 

Wally Dallenbach has a feature before every race.He takes people
for a ride around the track they are racing at that weekend.He has
taken quite a few "atheletes" for a ride and afterward they were
either really impressed or really scared and that was just a demonstration
ride.Imagine if these atheletes had to do for real with 42 other teams
for 4 to 5 hours non-stop.I doubt the "atheletes" would make it to
the finish.For the record a true race fan doesn't watch it for the
wrecks.
Back on topic my first Time at NASCAR was Pocono Raceway 1998

Written By: hot_wax on 01/09/06 at 11:19 pm

Hey, I love racing...Consider that one driver is competing against 42 other drivers who want the same thing he does...to win the race and get those points. And yes there is physical prowess required to drive stock cars, they are NOT like street cars that one drives to get to school or work...I suggest you read about racing legends, and the cars they race......http://www.nascar.com and http://www.tonystewart.com

You know I have to admit this, that when I was about 10 years old I wanted to drive Midget Racer cars. My school friend's father and older brother raced Midgets Racers in Roosvelt Stadium in Jersey City and got to sit in one it was just my size and I felt that excitment of wanting to get out there and challenge anyone to a race. I did everything to convince my father to buy a Midget Racer for me to no avail just a whack in the back of the head from him. but I also had the same excitement about being a Professional Wrestler at that age too. I would watch the Thursday night wrestling from Sunnyside Gardens and get so intense with the battles between the tag team of Lewis and Curtis and the Graham Brothers that I wanted to get in the ring and beat the crap out of the Graham Brothers...I wanted to be known as the "Drummer Boy" and march into the ring playing a drum and then would smash it over my opponents head and use my drumsticks as a secret weapon to put him to sleep...and WIN!!

Then I grew up and realized that both dreams where a childish Idealistic Hero Worshiping Want-a-Be part of me growing up. Wrestling is only a show, but they have to work at it like an athlete so it's more of a sport because it is and event in the Olympic Games. Then I realized that racing a car going in circles is a waste of time and one of the most boring things to watch except for the crashes, and that's nothing to cheer about...Hey! good for you that you enjoy watching cars racing in a circle, I like watching a good Chess Match, but they're not a sports, only a show like pro wrestling.

now you, HW

Written By: Bingo on 01/11/06 at 8:44 pm

First baseball game was the Dodgers vs the Reds in LA , back when Pete Rose was still playing in the outfield and Johnny Bench was catching.  Althought Johnny Bench was supended for that game.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/14/06 at 5:35 pm

You know I have to admit this, that when I was about 10 years old I wanted to drive Midget Racer cars. My school friend's father and older brother raced Midgets Racers in Roosvelt Stadium in Jersey City and got to sit in one it was just my size and I felt that excitment of wanting to get out there and challenge anyone to a race. I did everything to convince my father to buy a Midget Racer for me to no avail just a whack in the back of the head from him. but I also had the same excitement about being a Professional Wrestler at that age too. I would watch the Thursday night wrestling from Sunnyside Gardens and get so intense with the battles between the tag team of Lewis and Curtis and the Graham Brothers that I wanted to get in the ring and beat the crap out of the Graham Brothers...I wanted to be known as the "Drummer Boy" and march into the ring playing a drum and then would smash it over my opponents head and use my drumsticks as a secret weapon to put him to sleep...and WIN!!

Then I grew up and realized that both dreams where a childish Idealistic Hero Worshiping Want-a-Be part of me growing up. Wrestling is only a show, but they have to work at it like an athlete so it's more of a sport because it is and event in the Olympic Games. Then I realized that racing a car going in circles is a waste of time and one of the most boring things to watch except for the crashes, and that's nothing to cheer about...Hey! good for you that you enjoy watching cars racing in a circle, I like watching a good Chess Match, but they're not a sports, only a show like pro wrestling.

now you, HW
Oh brother! NASCAR has two road races...Watkins Glen and Infineon! Not going around in circles on those raceways!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/14/06 at 5:39 pm

now you, HW
Okay..what about NHRA drag races, Formula One, and Indy cars? Have YOU ever driven a stock car, and I don't mean your everyday car you drive for work or shopping....Or even better let's see you have the cojones to drive an NHRA dragster....Maybe John Force will let you drive his NHRA car!

Written By: hot_wax on 01/15/06 at 12:38 am

Okay..what about NHRA drag races, Formula One, and Indy cars? Have YOU ever driven a stock car, and I don't mean your everyday car you drive for work or shopping....Or even better let's see you have the cojones to drive an NHRA dragster....Maybe John Force will let you drive his NHRA car!

All's well and fine with all that entertainment...I still don't see any of it as a true sport, maybe a an expensive "hobby" for some kids drag racing their souped-up 65' Mustang at Wall Statium for a trophy. Raising the bar to the level of professional Drag Rail racers need Corporate Sponsorships to finance, to me, their "business" racing for purse money...you call this a sport? it's so far out of reach fanancially for anyone to participate in that it can only be called a "show business" not a true sport as in team competiton...all your ball games, or one athlete's physical endurance competiting against another to see who is better in a certain "sporting" event... as in Olympic Games. I'm saying it's a sport if everyone can get involved doing it and it's not a sport if you can only just be an on looker who really can't physically participate in it.

Did you ever drive an 48 foot 18 wheeler in Brooklyn NY?  now that's a Sport in itself and I use to push my 60 Olds 120 mph down the Garden State Parkway to Seaside Heights Oh yeah! I owned a 54' chopped BSA motorcycle for a while...it didn't have a speedometer I drove that bike hoping that God was my co-pilot, it was the fastest machine I ever driven and I didn't know fast I was going! it was to fast for me, after 2 falls with it, I had to get rid of it or it would have gotten rid of me...Driving a NHRA car would be a walk in the park after my episodes with speed and danger...anytime

Your OK kiddo...keep it up! HW       

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/06 at 10:01 am

My father took me to a Washington Bullets game in 76 or 77 I don't remember who they played or if they won but I remember I had a great time. 

I also got to see the Globetrotters play. Curly Neal, Meadowlark Lemon and the rest. This was when they had that LAME Sat. Morning Cartoon... but I still watched it.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/15/06 at 11:39 am

First pro event I went to was a Kansas City Royals game, but I'm not exactly sure what year it was...it was sometime in the late 70's or early 80's. I do remember they played the Chicago White Sox, and future Hall of Famer George Brett was with the Royals, but the seats in the ballpark were so high up that it was like watching a bunch of ants play.

First NFL game was in the fall of 2004, shortly after I moved to K.C., and I watched the Chiefs play the Atlanta Falcons (the Chiefs smoked them...I just so happened to get to their best game of the season and had a great seat as well).

Written By: hot_wax on 01/19/06 at 1:46 am

I would have got back sooner, but my computer had problems. So, I read Tony Stewart's bio and he is good at what he does, no doubting that, but you know what I'm going to say...if it weren't for Coke a Cola, Home Depot and others big business financing these racing events he wouldn't have a job and you wouldn't know him from Shineola.

Racing NASCAR racers is a show and can't be concidered a real true sporting event as exciting as it is to many who watch it. Tell me this, why is Racing Cars only real popular in the Mid-West and the South and isn't as popular in North East? The only thing can think of is that it all started with the "Moon Shine" runners in their Jalopy's down South and and that's all they had for entertaiment back in the 30's and 40's and stuck and they were not running Moon Shine up North.They tried to promote NASCAR racing in the New York area back in the 80's by laying out a race track in track in the Giants Stadium parking lot. They did everything they could to get "us", NY/NJ to get interested in racing cars around a track. The promoters put a few cars into the shopping malls in the Giant Stadium area. Budwiser Beer, Marlboro Cigarettes and a couple of other big business sponcerd cars where on display, they were impressive machines and takes moxie to drive them...moxie, not an athlete to drive them. They had their race in the parking lot of Giant Stadium, it drew a couple thousand viewers out of couriosity. Most tickets were free-bees given to business's around the area for their employees...to no avail it just didn't have staying power here and if anyone wants to see a NASCAR car race the closest track is the Pocono Raceway PA.

I think I'm not alone in saying racing cars is not a true sport...only an exciting show...so enjoy the show!

Hot Wax 

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/20/06 at 6:36 pm

I would have got back sooner, but my computer had problems. So, I read Tony Stewart's bio and he is good at what he does, no doubting that, but you know what I'm going to say...if it weren't for Coke a Cola, Home Depot and others big business financing these racing events he wouldn't have a job and you wouldn't know him from Shineola.

Racing NASCAR racers is a show and can't be concidered a real true sporting event as exciting as it is to many who watch it. Tell me this, why is Racing Cars only real popular in the Mid-West and the South and isn't as popular in North East? The only thing can think of is that it all started with the "Moon Shine" runners in their Jalopy's down South and and that's all they had for entertaiment back in the 30's and 40's and stuck and they were not running Moon Shine up North.They tried to promote NASCAR racing in the New York area back in the 80's by laying out a race track in track in the Giants Stadium parking lot. They did everything they could to get "us", NY/NJ to get interested in racing cars around a track. The promoters put a few cars into the shopping malls in the Giant Stadium area. Budwiser Beer, Marlboro Cigarettes and a couple of other big business sponcerd cars where on display, they were impressive machines and takes moxie to drive them...moxie, not an athlete to drive them. They had their race in the parking lot of Giant Stadium, it drew a couple thousand viewers out of couriosity. Most tickets were free-bees given to business's around the area for their employees...to no avail it just didn't have staying power here and if anyone wants to see a NASCAR car race the closest track is the Pocono Raceway PA.

I think I'm not alone in saying racing cars is not a true sport...only an exciting show...so enjoy the show!

Hot Wax 

I am not gonna argue with you, you are certainly entitled to your opinion..and BTW NASCAR runs races here in the Northeast...Pocono, New Hampshire, and Dover..and NASCAR's 'farm system' in the Northeast is the Busch North series which is where Martin Truex Jr. raced before coming to NASCAR's Busch Series and now he's in Nextel Cup...If you were to live here in southern NJ you'd see people's cars with Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr., Tony Stewart, and the late Dale Earnhardt bumperstickers and flags...people sporting NASCAR driver jackets, T-shirts, and hats..even people with Dale Jr. and Tony Stewart flags flying outside their houses. There are NASCAR fans in the Northeast..NASCAR is nationwide now. Me and thousands of other NASCAR fans like racin' and to us,it's a true SPORT, with true competitors. Nuff said.

Written By: hot_wax on 01/20/06 at 10:29 pm

I am not gonna argue with you, you are certainly entitled to your opinion..and BTW NASCAR runs races here in the Northeast...Pocono, New Hampshire, and Dover..and NASCAR's 'farm system' in the Northeast is the Busch North series which is where Martin Truex Jr. raced before coming to NASCAR's Busch Series and now he's in Nextel Cup...If you were to live here in southern NJ you'd see people's cars with Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr., Tony Stewart, and the late Dale Earnhardt bumperstickers and flags...people sporting NASCAR driver jackets, T-shirts, and hats..even people with Dale Jr. and Tony Stewart flags flying outside their houses. There are NASCAR fans in the Northeast..NASCAR is nationwide now. Me and thousands of other NASCAR fans like racin' and to us,it's a true SPORT, with true competitors. Nuff said.

It was a good push and pull discussion with you, I enjoyed it...Say Tony! I had an uncle who was a top Jockey back in the 40's and 50's and I don't think Horse racing is a true sport either, my uncle Nick was 5' 2" and 110 lbs and was not an athlete only a very good showman, the horse was the athlete, he only sat on it held the reins said "gitty-up" and held on for dear life while the horse did all the work. Racing horses like racing cars, it's labeled a "sport" but if everyone can't participate in doing it and only to observe the action then it's an exhibition...good talking to you, we will discuss other topics if your up to it...sometimes I'm your foe and sometimes I'm your ally, but always your freind!

Thanks.  Hot Wax   

Check for new replies or respond here...