inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV series 'Emergency'...did you watch it?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/01/06 at 8:12 pm

YES I watched "Emergency!" one of the coolest action shows of the '70s and Randolph Mantooth was a major hottie!

Subject: Re: TV series 'Emergency'...did you watch it?

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/06 at 8:18 pm

I never watched it originally as I was still a baby  ;D

I did see a few eps of it in re-runs in the 80's.  I like Kevin Tighe.  He graduated to some great film roles, usually where he played a great bad guy  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/02/06 at 1:01 pm

Yup-that was difinately a "must see" show at the time.

Cat

Written By: vinyl lover on 01/03/06 at 12:56 am

oh man ..that show was so cool...i watched it all the time..it was always filmed in los angeles..the squad 51 building is in universal studios,hollywood..i think they brought that show out to compete with "chips"...i remember i knew a guy who was a friend of one of the actors cuz he had a picture of himself with one of the guys in the engine 51 crew..they had the captain with a few of other guys...

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/03/06 at 3:36 am

I liked "Emergency" when I was a kid, but in hindsight I think Gage and Desoto got off easy. After all, the show took place in L.A. in the 1970's, and not once did they ever have to respond to a call where someone had a foreign object lodged up their butt.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/03/06 at 11:01 am

oh man ..that show was so cool...i watched it all the time..it was always filmed in los angeles..the squad 51 building is in universal studios,hollywood..i think they brought that show out to compete with "chips"...i remember i knew a guy who was a friend of one of the actors cuz he had a picture of himself with one of the guys in the engine 51 crew..they had the captain with a few of other guys...

Emergency was earlier than Chips. Emergency came out in 1972 and Chips in 1977.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/03/06 at 7:29 pm

One episode I remember is the one where this bookie had a major heart attack...they had a h*ll of a time trying to revive him..and he comes around and asks someone to man the phones for him which would be the last thing most people would think of after almost dying....

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/03/06 at 9:53 pm

Look at the guy on the right in each of these pictures. Notice any similarity?!?

http://www.sergioleone.net/mt-33.jpg

http://www.reeves-dogstar.com/pics3/billandted02.jpg

:D :D :D

Written By: danootaandme on 01/04/06 at 6:13 am

The only thing I remember, and the only reason I watched was Randolph,  where is he today?

Written By: Allie Fox on 01/04/06 at 9:51 am

I watched it when it was Emergency One (in syndication).  It was like religion.

Written By: KKay on 01/04/06 at 10:33 am

I looved it and I looved Randy mantooth...

I can remember fighting with my sister to watch it.
I wonnder what was on opposite it that she wanted to see?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/04/06 at 1:52 pm

The only thing I remember, and the only reason I watched was Randolph,  where is he today?

He was on the soaps for awhile (The City I believe).

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 01/04/06 at 1:56 pm

I looved it and I looved Randy mantooth...

I can remember fighting with my sister to watch it.
I wonnder what was on opposite it that she wanted to see?

Bet it was The Loveboat    ::)

Written By: KKay on 01/04/06 at 1:57 pm

Bet it was The Loveboat    ::)

I bet it was....ugh. such a girl!

Written By: Sammy Reed on 01/04/06 at 8:23 pm

Unfortunately, I didn't watch it when it was on NBC, although I knew it was on there. I still had my fear of the Universal logo then.
    But buddy, when our local station had it on reruns, from 1977-79 I believe, did I ever watch it! I liked those different "beeboop" sounds for the different fire stations, and when there were a lot of them one after the other, I KNEW we were in for a great fire!
    And of course, who could ever forget the defibrilator?! "CLEAR! ... >BOOM<"

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/05/06 at 6:31 pm

FUNNY!!!  ;D
I caught a rerun of "Emergency" within the last year or so (I can't remember where or what channel it was on), but not only Randolph Mantooth's hair but also his mannerisms totally reminded me of Keanu. 
  I also remember that "Emergency" was produced by Mark VII Productions (Jack Webb's company) which also produced "Adam-12," and I can remember Reed and Malloy turning up on an episode or two of "Emergency."

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/05/06 at 7:06 pm

I liked how "Emergency!" had both seriousness and humor..I remember a lot of Johnny Gage 'predicaments'...One of them was restoring a vintage fire truck for a parade or something..another Johnny thing was getting a new television for the firehouse after he botched up fixing the old one!

As far as the calls go, the one I mentioned before with the bookie and another one where it was a 'difficulty breathing' call, and actually it was a gal with a girdle she could not remove..I think the girdle flew off and hit one of 'em in the face when they cut it off...

One that had me on the edge of my seat was when they had to remove a live hand grenade from a man's abdomen..also the two-part episode with the jetliner crash.

Written By: Abix on 01/05/06 at 7:49 pm

I loved this show. I watched it as a little girl and actually wanted to become a nurse because of Julie London.. Nurse Dixie McCall and her perfectly starched white uniform and that hunky doctor that she worked with (not the older one  played by Bobby  Knight.. but the  darker haired one. )  I also had a major crush on Randolph Mantooth.. I hear he's actually gay in real life.  I wonder what he's  up to.. Kevin Tighe I have seen on various movies and/or tv shows , usually playing a villanous type.  Does anyone remember the Tall dark haired handsome doctor that I mentioned? What was his character's name and his real name?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/06/06 at 9:07 pm

That tall handsome doc would be Doctor Kelly Brackett, played by Robert Fuller.

Written By: Abix on 01/07/06 at 5:45 am

That tall handsome doc would be Doctor Kelly Brackett, played by Robert Fuller.

Thats right .. Dr Brackett.. Hubba hubba.. Robert Fuller. wonder if he's still alive and kicking?

Written By: Christopher Charbonneau on 01/09/06 at 5:19 pm

Does anyone remember when there was a fire at the hospital? The stations "TONES" went off for about five minutes and you could hear the dispatcher call out "Station 51, Battalion 7, Company 32, Staion 10......" That was a great episode

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/10/06 at 10:41 am

Yes...

I thought Randolph Mantooth was hot!  :D

Written By: KKay on 01/10/06 at 10:56 am

I am sorry if somone already mentioned it, but is it out on dvd and if anyone has it, is it good? good quality and good features?

Written By: Sammy Reed on 01/10/06 at 7:58 pm

There is an official 1st-season DVD set out. You can order it, or buy it in a few stores.

Written By: KKay on 01/11/06 at 9:45 pm

There is an official 1st-season DVD set out. You can order it, or buy it in a few stores.

great!
I want it!

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/11/06 at 10:13 pm

8) I  loved this show!!.. recently I did have a mixup of actors though.. Remember girls..well..and guys..Mantooth looks alot like the guy from " Battlestar Galactica"....Richard Hatch..SooooFine...Hatch is part Indian, ( Thats one of the reasons I really liked him), but I remember watching Emergency and I just loved Mantooth, its the first real role I remember Kevin Tighe in, then later I saw him in " RoadHouse" and I sat there for about 10Min and then I realized that Emergency was where I had first seen him..Great show! 

Written By: Sammy Reed on 01/12/06 at 9:57 am

8) I  loved this show!!.. recently I did have a mixup of actors though.. Remember girls..well..and guys..Mantooth looks alot like the guy from " Battlestar Galactica"....Richard Hatch..SooooFine...Hatch is part Indian, ( Thats one of the reasons I really liked him), but I remember watching Emergency and I just loved Mantooth

Randolph Mantooth is part-indian, too!

Written By: Abix on 01/13/06 at 2:26 pm

8) I  loved this show!!.. recently I did have a mixup of actors though.. Remember girls..well..and guys..Mantooth looks alot like the guy from " Battlestar Galactica"....Richard Hatch..SooooFine...Hatch is part Indian, ( Thats one of the reasons I really liked him), but I remember watching Emergency and I just loved Mantooth, its the first real role I remember Kevin Tighe in, then later I saw him in " RoadHouse" and I sat there for about 10Min and then I realized that Emergency was where I had first seen him..Great show! 

Richard Hatch did an excellent portray of Jan in "Dead Mans Curve- The Jan and Dean Story" . Also Richard Hatch and I share the same birthday  May 21.  I also heard a rumor that Randy Mantooth is gay.. what a waste for all of us females that lusted after him back then.  Ok.. enough of my useless information.

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/14/06 at 11:29 pm

Randolph Mantooth is part-indian, too!
8)  He looks Indian,  Hmm Native American...and to Abix..That is so cool about your birthday, and if Mantooth is gay it IS a loss!.......

Written By: Kim on 04/30/09 at 5:41 pm

I watched Emergency, when it was first aired. I know that TV land had shown it for a while. Well now we do have a new Station that carries the show. It is called RTN. Emergency was created, so that the public was made aware, that the show was trying to get the paramedic program off the ground. So by them doing this show, it happened. I know that some of the Stars of the show, were thrilled to death, that people became firemen & paramedics. I found myself having my own Fav. actor  Captain Stanley.

Mike Norell's  Caption Stanley was such a warm but Stern boss. Also just so some of you would love to know this, if you don't already. Fancast carries about 50-75 episodes of the show. Also you can see some of the shows on you tube. I think too that you can catch a few you tube episodes actually dubbed in German.

Written By: Doug on 05/01/09 at 6:58 pm

I too loved that show too big time back 30 years ago (i'm 1 now). Doe's anybody else remember this : I think they said it over the "CB" or whatever it was before they left the station en route ot a fire or an emergency "Station 51 KMG365"

Doug

Written By: Doug on 05/01/09 at 7:00 pm

I too loved that show too big time back 30 years ago (i'm 41 now). Doe's anybody else remember this : I think they said it over the "CB" or whatever it was before they left the station en route to a fire or an emergency    "Station 51 KMG365"

Written By: Robert on 05/21/10 at 1:10 am

I remember watching Emergency when I was a tot. Does anyone remember Adam-12?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/10 at 3:08 pm

There were four options in this poll.  All of them negative.

Yes I watched the show when I got the chance, along with Starsky & Hutch, SWAT and Charlie's Angels!
8)

Written By: markus017 on 06/10/10 at 10:28 pm

Engine 51Engine 51......Hello Rampart  This is Engine 51 Dixie the nurse..One of my Favorites like it was yesterday  :) :) :)  & I think Dr Kelly  Brackett... or something to that effect....

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/11/10 at 12:39 am

There were four options in this poll.  All of them negative.

Yes I watched the show when I got the chance, along with Starsky & Hutch, SWAT and Charlie's Angels!
8)

Ditto that, what kind of poll is this anyway?

Yes, I watched it, pretty much had to, I think it was shown in reruns before "Get Smart" came on at 6pm, and I liked it better than the other Jack Webb post-Dragnet produced series "Adam-12" (although I love it now).

Can't believe no one has mentioned it till now, doesn't anyone remember the "Emergency" board game?
http://www.gamesmuseum.uwaterloo.ca/VirtualExhibits/TV%20Games/emergency/Emergency%20Box.JPG
It was, unlike so many TV show inspired board game knock-offs back then, pretty good!
http://gamesmuseum.uwaterloo.ca/VirtualExhibits/TV%20Games/emergency/Emergency%20Board.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/10 at 4:12 pm

I loves me some Jack Webb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrpiby-piB4

Friday I'm in love!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/love7.gif

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/13/10 at 3:37 am

I loves me some Jack Webb!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrpiby-piB4

Friday I'm in love!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/love7.gif

Then you should love this:
http://silverstatechronicles.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/webb.jpg

Click this and hear Jacks version of Otis Reddings "Try A Little Tenderness"
Classic! :D ;D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/13/10 at 4:16 pm

I liked 'Dragnet' a lot but didn't watch 'Emergency' - I think it came on opposite something else I liked more, not sure.    :-\\

Written By: Frank on 06/13/10 at 5:50 pm

One of the few 70s shows I did not watch.

Written By: crabitha on 06/17/12 at 8:47 pm

I had a vague memory of Emergency! as a little kid...just remembered the fire trucks, wailing sirens, and the dog who always slept on the couch.  In the 1990's it came on TVland...I was in my 20's then, and enjoyed the story lines and of course Gage, Desoto, the captain, and all the characters.  I recently bought the DVDs and still enjoy the show!  The story lines are just the right combination of drama and comedy, the characters are lovable and easy on the eyes, and it's a trip back in time... My kids have watched it with me and were shocked at " how thin everyone was,"  "the terrible clothes" nd the lack of technology.  "too bad they just couldn't use a cell phone instead of running for help!"  I love this show!  ( :   

Written By: GregSticker on 07/12/12 at 6:17 pm

8)  He looks Indian,  Hmm Native American...and to Abix..That is so cool about your birthday, and if Mantooth is gay it IS a loss!.......

I  remember on Emergency there was a guy who had a bad back and was laying on a waterbed. The guy's wife goes to let all the water out....... I cannot remember too much more, but then there was Chopper One featuring two L A Cops in a new state of the art helicopter . . . .

Written By: Lindee on 07/20/12 at 11:14 am

Emergency was earlier than Chips. Emergency came out in 1972 and Chips in 1977.

Emergency was a spin off of Adam-12. Chips came out during the disco era; probably why they had a disco sounding theme song.

Written By: tommyd on 09/25/12 at 10:45 pm

I still remember one episode where one of the guys had to catch a cobra snake that got loose.  I remember he used a piece of glass in front of his face, so the snake couldn't spray his eyes.  I thought he was the smartest person EVER.

Check for new replies or respond here...