inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good Times

Written By: Carl on 01/11/06 at 10:52 am

My favorite seasons were with John Amos, but the later ones were okay. I was thinking of getting the first few seasons on DVD, starting a classic TV collection, you can say.

Subject: Re: Good Times

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 01/11/06 at 11:26 am

I loved the show when I was a kid, and still enjoy watching it now!

Yes, I'd have to agree that the seasons with John Amos were the best!  :)

Written By: Carl on 01/11/06 at 11:29 am

Some of the other characters were fun to watch. Johnny Brown as Bookman the Super was pretty good too. Of course, the main character, J.J. was always a riot! But John Amos' acting, especially that with Esther Rolle, was great!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/11/06 at 11:56 am

I looove this show!!!! Yes, the John Amos years were more effective. But ya gotta admit things were on the up and up for the characters (w/opportunities) when he left! lol

Written By: whistledog on 01/11/06 at 1:21 pm

I liked Good Times.  DYNO-MITE!!
I didn't like the Penny Woods (Janet Jackson) character.  She was quite annoying  ;D

I remember that one episode where it was revealed that Penny was being abused by her mother, who eventually would abandon her.  That was serious stuff  :o

Here's a Little Trivia:  Good Times was the first TV show in history to spin-off from a Spin-off ... (It spun-out from Maude, which spun-out from All in the Family)

Written By: Carl on 01/11/06 at 1:34 pm

Here's a Little Trivia:  Good Times was the first TV show in history to spin-off from a Spin-off ... (It spun-out from Maude, which spun-out from All in the Family)

But wasn't Maude supposed to have taken place in New York? And the Evans family lived in Chicago.

Also, remember Thelma's husband in the later episodes, Keith, who was played by Ben Powers? Wonder what he is up to now, as I have not seen a trace of him since the shows ending.

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/11/06 at 10:21 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: alyceclover on 01/11/06 at 10:36 pm

I met Ben Powers...he was doing a show at Mt Airy Lodge in the Pocono's and stopped in the pizzeria where I worked.

He said "these small town girls aren't impressed" or something like that
:-[
I didn't realize he was 'hitting on me"

8)

Sometimes watching yesterday's shows, today, they seem lame, but saw an episode the other day, still funny.

Written By: Banks on 01/12/06 at 5:54 am

This show was one of my all time favorites...

I loved just about every episode.

John Amos is such an amazing actor, especially in the Roots mini-series.

AN

Written By: Carl on 01/12/06 at 7:35 am

I met Ben Powers...he was doing a show at Mt Airy Lodge in the Pocono's and stopped in the pizzeria where I worked.

That's pretty interesting. I heard he was still around, but I didn't know how recent. He wouls sometimes do those impersonations, sort of like Johnny Brown's character (Bookman) would do.

Written By: SweetAlice on 01/13/06 at 7:59 am

The episode where James was killed in a car accident freaked me out! The image of Florda screaming
damn!
damn!
DAMN!
has never left me.

Written By: Carl on 01/13/06 at 9:24 am

The episode where James was killed in a car accident freaked me out! The image of Florda screaming
damn!
damn!
DAMN!
has never left me.

THAT was a very powerful scene.

You know, here's something that I found wierd. In the shows after Jame's death, Florida re-married to the character of Carl, played by Moses Gunn. After, she took a  hiatus from the show and then returned without him or any mention of what happend to Carl. I guess they thought people wouldn't realize, but I did.

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/06 at 9:57 am

IMO Good Times would have been a better show WITHOUT JJ.  Jimmie Walker is an idiot and I am glad John Amos and Ester Rolle were as offended by his character as I was. Good for John for leaving the series. Too bad Ester came back. No TOO bad the producers thought a buffoon was a "positive" image to portray in the 70's Thank GOD for the Midget Militant Michael at least he and Thelma acted like they had some sense!

Written By: Carl on 01/16/06 at 7:50 am

IMO Good Times would have been a better show WITHOUT JJ.  Jimmie Walker is an idiot and I am glad John Amos and Ester Rolle were as offended by his character as I was.

WHOA!!! Explain to me what this is about. Are you saying Walker is the reason John Amos left in th first place?

Written By: zcrito on 01/16/06 at 8:58 pm

IMO Good Times would have been a better show WITHOUT JJ.  Jimmie Walker is an idiot and I am glad John Amos and Ester Rolle were as offended by his character as I was. Good for John for leaving the series. Too bad Ester came back. No TOO bad the producers thought a buffoon was a "positive" image to portray in the 70's Thank GOD for the Midget Militant Michael at least he and Thelma acted like they had some sense!

You're trippin', snoz. JJ was the best thing on that show (along with John Amos). JJ's attitude with everything was a positive image in the '70s.

Written By: robby76 on 01/16/06 at 9:36 pm

I loved JJ too. My favourite episode is from Season 2... "Crosstown Buses Run All Day"... JJ was hysterical!

I bought Seasons 2 and 3 on dvd, I haven't braved buying the others as I heard the latter seasons didn't hold up.

Written By: Carl on 01/17/06 at 7:49 am

The later seasons were okay, I mean with out John Amos it wasn't the same by any means, but they still were entertaining. Too bad there were so many disputes between writers, actors, directors, etc, both then and now even.

Written By: robby76 on 01/17/06 at 8:22 am

The dvds are a worthwhile investment. I now have quite a few choice retro tv dvds... Good Times, What's Happening, Three's Co etc. I love my nostalgic tv and watch nothing else.

Written By: Carl on 01/17/06 at 11:46 am

The dvds are a worthwhile investment. I now have quite a few choice retro tv dvds... Good Times, What's Happening, Three's Co etc. I love my nostalgic tv and watch nothing else.

I agree, starting a collection of my own as well. Thank god for TV Land also!

Written By: Banks on 01/18/06 at 5:11 am

As said before, the episode where John Amos' character dies was distressing and pretty disturbing. I think it was made worse because we knew the characters so well, and Florida was kind of like a family member, and to see her in such distress was disturbing for anyone, especially for a kid of 6 or 7.

AN

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/06 at 12:59 pm

You're trippin', snoz. JJ was the best thing on that show (along with John Amos). JJ's attitude with everything was a positive image in the '70s.

JJ was a buffoon. He acted like an idiot. Everytime I watch an episode I think this is the image the rest of the world is getting of black people. And I don't like people looking at a character like JJ and thinking that its a true portrayal.

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/06 at 1:01 pm

a true portrayal.

sorry I meant to say accurate representation.

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/06 at 1:11 pm

WHOA!!! Explain to me what this is about. Are you saying Walker is the reason John Amos left in th first place?

Here you go Carl

taken from http://www.allinthefamilysit.com/19940411.shtml

Amos chose show business. Other television writing credits  followed, and within a few years, he wound up on "The Mary Tyler Moore  Show," in the recurring role of Gordy the weatherman from 1970 to 1973.

"It was the most trouble-free environment that I've ever worked  on," Amos recalls.

The same could not be said of his next TV project, "Good Times,"  in which Amos played the chronically unemployed James Evans. His "major  bone of contention was that so much emphasis was put on J.J.'s character -- the buffoon, and a negative stereotype." When Amos  quit in 1976, his character was killed off.

Written By: snozberries on 01/20/06 at 1:18 pm

this was in the biography section for Esther Rolle on IMDB

"Still, Esther left the show for one season when she was unhappy about the negative role model perpetuated by Jimmie Walker's jive-talking J.J. character, but later returned after the producers assured her that more responsibility would be taken."

Written By: Carl on 01/20/06 at 1:44 pm

That's interesting Snoz, thank you for the info.

Written By: zcrito on 01/20/06 at 6:00 pm

JJ was a buffoon. He acted like an idiot. Everytime I watch an episode I think this is the image the rest of the world is getting of black people. And I don't like people looking at a character like JJ and thinking that its a true portrayal.

I guess it ain't easy being black. You've got to always worry about the image you portray to the rest of the world.  ::)
(And that's assuming the rest of the world even bought and show that television show anyway)

If that's true then what about all the white actors and actresses acting foolish? Does Michael Richards (Kramer) on Seinfeld make all whites look bad? That's one example but we could all list many, many more.

'J.J.' Evans was funny and very human. If the character offended some people then they probably need to lighten up. He's the only reason I'd watch the show today and if the rest of the cast are still getting residual payments for reruns of the show then they should rethink how they felt 30 years ago...

Written By: robby76 on 01/21/06 at 2:51 am

I can see Amos' and Rolles points but at the end of the day it was a sitcom. It's not like it was "Roots". Look at the 3 Stooges, Jerry Lewis and even Chrissy Snow from Three's Company! You could class them as baffoons! Plus the other characters more than made up for JJ's behaviour. If anything Good Times helped with integration and acceptance, but in a fun way.

Written By: snozberries on 01/21/06 at 10:12 am

If that's true then what about all the white actors and actresses acting foolish? Does Michael Richards (Kramer) on Seinfeld make all whites look bad? That's one example but we could all list many, many more.

The difference is the deck isn't stacked against whites to begin with. If we all started on an even playing field then no problem but the truth of the matter is we don't and in our society if you are not a person of color you have a certain advantage over the rest of us. Therefore, when someone like Kramer is shown on TV it is just comedy there are no preconceived ideas about the race so there is nothing to uphold. However,the black race had to work and fight hard to get where we are today yet people still have preconceived ideas. Julia was a ground breaking show because it showed Diahann Carrol as a single mother (widowed by Viet Nam) she had a career and still had to face adversity everyday. She upheld the race. 

It took what 15 -20 years for another good 1/2hour  family series to show blacks in a positive light. I am talking about Cosby and the buzz was about middle class blacks, as if it was rare. Just because it hasn't been seen too often on TV doesn't make it a phenomenon. There have been shows done about every class of whites with little fanfare but when blacks are shown "against type" it becomes huge debate.

And I am not against Good Times as a whole. I know that a large percent of black people have to live in the ghetto I think the show itself did some good it brought forth good issues, and discussions. IT is the way JJ was portrayed that I am against that and the fact that he has been practically made an ICONIC figure-head for the series.  We talk about Good Times and everyone mentions JJ. They never talk about the issues.

The same goes for Asians, Hispanics and all the other races.  Look at the lull in Hispanic programming between Chico and the Man (1974) and The George Lopez Show (2002) I bet if we started a discussion about "a.k.a. Pablo" starring Paul Rodriguez (1984) people would have a lot to say too.

Okay  I stepping off the soap box for now....

Written By: Banks on 01/21/06 at 11:56 pm

The difference is the deck isn't stacked against whites to begin with. If we all started on an even playing field then no problem but the truth of the matter is we don't and in our society if you are not a person of color you have a certain advantage over the rest of us.

Im a person of colour...Im white (well, slightly pinkish, brown in Summer). Ive never understood the issue of race. To me the colour of a persons skin has never been an issue. I didnt even realise that people of a different colour to me were seen as a different 'race' to me until I was 12. I guess living in Australia where race isnt an issue (or at least wasnt until last December) helped me.

I watched JJ on Good Times, and I think he MADE the show what it was. I never once, as a child watching them for the first time, thought that all black people acted like that, mainly because I didnt really realise that the people on the TV were any different to me. It was a funny show, JJ was hilarious. After I was 12 and saw the show again, I never once thought that all black people acted like JJ. He was a character, and over animated comic representation of a tall and thin man living in a flat somewhere in America. He wasnt real, and any moron wouldve, or shouldve known that.

If I wanted a REAL representation of black issues Id have watched the news or a more serious TV show. Good Times was entertainment. It was fun, and I dont think JJ was ever meant to be taken as a serious representation of a black man in the 1970's, although, I do think he was copied a LOT after the show had aired.

Plus, I think if JJ was/is seen as a TRUE representation of a black man, then its a hell of a lot better than the representation many 'white' people and people who are not from the USA have of black men these days, no matter how false this relresentation is. Here in Australia, when you think of black culture, you either think of the days of slavery, the freedom movement and Martin Luther King, and gang bangers who commit drive-by's and rob convienience stores and sell drugs.

Now, I KNOW this representation is false. But most people here are still in the Boyz N The Hood mentallity when it comes to black people. Sad, but true.

Personally, to me, JJ is the better role model and the better way of thinking about how black people really are mainly because, although he is over animated and over acted, at least he has a heart.

PERSONALLY, I hate all things that are used to divide people, and unfortunately race is one of those things used to keep us divided, religion is another.

Just my thoughts. You can say Im talking nonsence and dont know what Im on about because Ive not lived with racism and nor have I lived in the USA...Either way, Ive had my say.

AN

Written By: robby76 on 01/22/06 at 3:27 am

Well said. If you want true bad representation of a black man, please refer to the rap artists of today with their pimp gangsta "you're nothin' without your bling bling" attitude.

Written By: Nostalgic on 01/22/06 at 4:20 am

Has there been any news on what happened to the actors who played Thelma, Michael and Willona?

Written By: snozberries on 01/22/06 at 10:49 am

Hey AN-

When I was speaking of the racial divide I was speaking solely about America. I have never been to Australia so I don't know much about Australian Diversity. Hell if I were to believe what I saw portrayed of Australia I would think that the only blacks there are Aborigines but I know better than that.

I also recognize white  or pink as a color but, again in the states, when we say person of color we are making a general reference to any person who belongs to a non-white race.

I still stand by my opinion, and it is only my opinion that the character of JJ was an idiot. Absent JJ Good Times would have been a great show and I was happy when I watched the TV Land special about Good Times because that is where I learned that both John Amos (James Evans SR.) and Esther Rolle (Florida Evans) shared my opinion.  If the two senior actors feel that way then there must some merit to my argument.....even though it is only my opinion.

Race is a touchy issue in the US but I can only speak for myself based on my experiences and observations. I grew up on Air Force Bases and to the best of knowledge race was never an issue until my father retired and we moved from base to civilization, I was 12.
To my parents credit (maybe because I wasn't prepared for what happened to me after we left the base) I didn't know I was black and I didn't know what it meant to be black in the United States of America. Tiger Woods once referred to himself as CAUBLANASIAN and I too could lay that claim, for I have black, white, native american, south american, and chinese in my heritage. However, when people look at me black it what they see and black is what identify most with. But when I was younger I didn't know, I just people came in all colors like crayons in a crayola box.

When I was 12 we moved to a predominatley white town, I was at school a week before a kid on the playground yelled at me ****** GO HOME.  I didn't know what a ****** was, again my parents kept me sheltered, but it sounded bad and it hurt like hell. For that school no one talked to me, no one played with me, I had no friends....oh yeah it was 1981. We should have been a little more progressive by then but we're not.

I get followed in stores by clerks who want to make sure I don't steal, I get my id scrutinized when I pay by check or credit card. I do not speak with a "black accent" so I have seen the reaction of some people when I call them for an appointment and then they see me later. I actually had a one woman do a double take and then tell me "You didn't sound black on the phone." what was I supposed to say to that? THank  you?

Blacks have made great strides, we have come a long way since the civil rights movement but there is still so far to go. 

And by the way, I agree with the other statement I read about rappers and bling (they didn't mention bitches and hos but I hate that too.) and the debate about the casual use of the N word could take days. I don't think anyone not even black rappers, comics, or black men talking to their friends should ever use the word but I can't change that.  Although I think that in "Bring the Pain"Chris Rock gives the best dissertation on the difference between black people and ******s I ever heard.

Sorry this is longer than I planned but I guess it all still hurts so much. Like Dr Kings famous line state I would like to be judged by the content of my character rather than the color of my skin....right now I am judged by both.

Q

"There is not a single white guy in here that would trade places with me, and I'm rich!"
                                                                                                                        ~Chris Rock, (Bigger and Blacker)

Written By: GREEN67 on 01/22/06 at 9:34 pm

As said before, the episode where John Amos' character dies was distressing and pretty disturbing. I think it was made worse because we knew the characters so well, and Florida was kind of like a family member, and to see her in such distress was disturbing for anyone, especially for a kid of 6 or 7.
I totally agree, when he died I was soo upset, it got all over me

AN
:\'(

Written By: Banks on 01/24/06 at 1:28 am

snozberries...

I am sorry to hear of your experiences. To me, racism is a foreign concept. Ive never had any experience with it, dont understand it, dont want to understand it, and I hate it.

While I still stand by what I said about JJ, I can see your point. I may not agree with you, but I do understand your point.

AN

Written By: vinyl lover on 01/27/06 at 10:03 pm

my favorite episode had to be the one where michael joins the warlords!!the scene i liked the most was when florida went to get michael at the gang hangout.....one of the warlords told florida "lady i said give me that ring!" and michael was being held by the other guys, but he got loose and jumped on the leader and tackled him to the floor...i get chills whenever i see that scene!!

Written By: snozberries on 01/28/06 at 12:11 pm

snozberries...

While I still stand by what I said about JJ, I can see your point. I may not agree with you, but I do understand your point.

AN

I can respect that thanks.

And I can give you your right to stand by JJ but I will never change my opinion.
                                                              "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."   
                                                                                                                                                              ~Dr Martin Luther King Jr

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/28/06 at 12:22 pm

I guess it ain't easy being black. You've got to always worry about the image you portray to the rest of the world.  ::)
(And that's assuming the rest of the world even bought and show that television show anyway)

'J.J.' Evans was funny and very human. If the character offended some people then they probably need to lighten up. He's the only reason I'd watch the show today and if the rest of the cast are still getting residual payments for reruns of the show then they should rethink how they felt 30 years ago...

To compare the two is crazy. Did Kramer represent a stereotype? No, he was just sing as an absurd individual and not a total representative of an entire group. To say to others that were offended by the stereotype "hey lighten up" when in all likelihood, you haven't experienced the offense is indeed absurd.

Check for new replies or respond here...