inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was there a '60s backlash in the '70s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/17/06 at 1:01 am

The '60s have always been seen as a cool, if sometimes goofy decade.  Was there a camp backlash against hippies/Woodstock in the '70s?

Subject: Re: Was there a '60s backlash in the '70s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/17/06 at 1:12 am

To my knowledge, only the real "pronounced" 60's stuff was cheesy in the 70's. The 70's were basically a toned down 60's -- I mean, people smoked weed and had a somewhat "wild" lifestyle, but it wasn't overindulgent the way 1967-71 was.

For the most part, I think a teenager in 1975 may have been less into the Beatles than a '65 teen was, but they wouldn't think it was totally "old school" either.

That didn't start happening until maybe 1982 or '83 (heck, the 60's and 70's backlash happened pretty much the same time, LOL).

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/17/06 at 1:15 am

To my knowledge, only the real "pronounced" 60's stuff was cheesy in the 70's. The 70's were basically a toned down 60's -- I mean, people smoked weed and had a somewhat "wild" lifestyle, but it wasn't overindulgent the way 1967-71 was.

For the most part, I think a teenager in 1975 may have been less into the Beatles than a '65 teen was, but they wouldn't think it was totally "old school" either.

That didn't start happening until maybe 1982 or '83 (heck, the 60's and 70's backlash happened pretty much the same time, LOL).

I think the '90s backlash will quickly follow the '00s backlash, but like the '60s were never seen to be nearly as awful as the '70s (just older) in the '80s, the '90s will simply be an old time uncool simply for being old and like the 2000s.  That is, the '90s backlash will be an afterthought to the '00s one.

Picture this:

2015 kid: Uggh, that 50 Cent song is so cheesy.  Sounds like it was made in 2003.
2015 kid's friend:  What about those '90s songs your parents listen to?
2015 kid: Those suck too!

Written By: Marty McFly on 01/17/06 at 1:22 am

I think the '90s backlash will quickly follow the '00s backlash, but like the '60s were never seen to be nearly as awful as the '70s (just older) in the '80s, the '90s will simply be an old time uncool simply for being old and like the 2000s.  That is, the '90s backlash will be an afterthought to the '00s one.

Picture this:

2015 kid: Uggh, that 50 Cent song is so cheesy.  Sounds like it was made in 2003.
2015 kid's friend:  What about those '90s songs your parents listen to?
2015 kid: Those suck too!

LOL, that's scary to think of that happening in only nine years (I'd say that scenario would be closer to 2020, but you may be right. If the 90s/00s backlash, they'll probably do so pretty fast).

I think the only real 60's backlash was, say on a show like Family Ties (Michael J Fox, I always got the feeling, was being Republican as his own way of rebelling against his flower child parents). That was more "lighthearted" backlash, as opposed to the 70's getting more of a direct hit -- people gave Disco and polyesther a much harder time, IMO. ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/17/06 at 1:25 am

LOL, that's scary to think of that happening in only nine years (I'd say that scenario would be closer to 2020, but you may be right. If the 90s/00s backlash, they'll probably do so pretty fast).

I think the only real 60's backlash was, say on a show like Family Ties (Michael J Fox, I always got the feeling, was being Republican as his own way of rebelling against his flower child parents). That was more "lighthearted" backlash, as opposed to the 70's getting more of a direct hit -- people gave Disco and polyesther a much harder time, IMO. ;D

Yeah.  Even to Republican 80s kids, the 60s probably seemed like a cool time.

That is weird to think that in nine years, the '90s will be to the present what the '60s were to the '80s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/06 at 3:33 pm

I have noticed that there always seem to be a 20 year thing. I remember in the 70s, everything 50s was totally cool. Schools were having sock-hops and you had to dress like the 50s. Grease was popular (first as a play and then the movie). By the time the 80s, came around, the 60s were cool. Hippy dress was the "fad". In the 90s, it was 70s. I remember a friend of mine's daughter wearing bell bottems and platform shoes.  :o  So now in the 00s, the 80s seem to be very cool. Just look at the 80s section of this board. So, in another few years, everything the 90s will be cool.

Cat

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/17/06 at 3:35 pm

So, in another few years, everything the 90s will be cool.

You mean continue to be cool?  :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/17/06 at 4:46 pm

It seems to me, it was DURING the 70's that nostalgia became cool.  Before that, old stuff was just regarded as, well, old.  So with 60's stuff being "old" in the 70's, it wasn't really despised, it was just seen as old stuff that nobody was interested in. 

For example, it was in the late 70's that I first got a real interest in 60's Motown music.  I was a poor college kid then with no money.  Guess what - that Motown music we treasured so in the 80's, during the late 70's it was tossed around into cut-out bins in the "new" record stores (if you could even find it), and I found tons of it in the 50 cent bins in the "used" stores.  :-\\  Nobody was buying it - not until the 80's when 60's nostalgia hit.

Even though I've always known and loved the Beatles, during the 70's, I didn't care that much about the band, and I still felt the sting of the Band's breakup.  I was interested in all the "reunion" rumours, though!  I always felt sad it never happened.  :(

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 01/17/06 at 10:37 pm

The 70's weren't overindulgent? The whole disco thing was all about excess! This was when the sexual revolution came into full swing, and they didn't have to worry about AIDS back then. (I even found out years later that some of my neighbors in my small Nebraska hometown did a little bit of "swinging" back then.) Check out the 1998 movie 54 and you'll see what I mean.  ;)
    In my opinion, this was the backlash against the 60's. The U.S. had just been through its most turbulent and divisive period since probably the Civil War.  The backlash wasn't so much against the 60's counterculture--it had more to do with the fact that people were burned out by the events of the last decade. The nation had just withstood the twin national traumas of Vietnam and Watergate, and people wanted to put that all behind them, so a lot of them blew off some steam by getting coked to the gills and screwing everything that moved.

Written By: Banks on 01/18/06 at 5:01 am

I dont think there was a 60's backlash...and if there was it wasnt a big thing. I mean, it could be said that up until 1974 the 60's hadnt really gone away. Look at the clothes and hair styles people were wearing. Look at the music, much of it had a very distinct 60's feel to it. The stage play Hair was set in the late 60's and was very big still. Tommy, while an early 1970's thing was still very much 60's-ish. In 1979 the stage play of Hair became a motion picture that did pretty well at the box office. So, no, I dont think there was a back-lash to 60's culture, rather simply a continuation of the 1960's. The 60's evolved into the 70's, much in the same way the 80's evolved into the 90's.

As far as the 1970's to 1980's cross over...I think the 80's backlash was against the events of the 70's. There was the Vietnam War and its end, Watergate, the energy crisis, 3 mile island, the Witlam Government dismissal in Australia, and the New York City black out. Disco, it has been noted, was a direct result of the problems felt during the 70's and when it wasnt needed any more it was discarded, and so too was anything that went with it, that being the fashion. If you notice, not everything in the 70's was derided in the 80's. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, KISS and others were still embraced by the 80's teens. I believe this was because they were not a reminder of the events that made life hard during the 70's.

Myself, as an 80's teen, embraced the 70's culture from the time that decade ended. To me, good music, be it disco, heavy metal, rock, punk, middle of the road, blues, etc, was good music and I wasnt willing to let good music simply fade away. I had a field day in the 80's...Collecting all those 70's albums noone wanted any more. I had a lot of singles from the 70's and albums, but went out and got all the ones I had missed originally. Add to that the fact that I was collecting 80's music as well, and youll see why I had a field day in the early to mid 80's. Then came CDs and while most people were buying new music on CD, I was getting the new music plus the re-release of the 1970's Lps and 70's compilations.

So...sorry, I digress...There was no 'real' backlash to the 60's because people saw that decade as a decade of immense change and the 'hippy' movment had an agenda that was generally a good one. The 70's, however, saw the escelation of the Vietnam war backlash and other things Ive already mentioned. Unfortunately, Disco was seen as a way to forget the troubles of the time, and it was discarded and derided when it was no longer needed, as too was the 'disco fashion'.

Just my 2 cents worth.

AN

Written By: Donnie Darko on 01/18/06 at 12:07 pm

I dont think there was a 60's backlash...and if there was it wasnt a big thing. I mean, it could be said that up until 1974 the 60's hadnt really gone away. Look at the clothes and hair styles people were wearing. Look at the music, much of it had a very distinct 60's feel to it. The stage play Hair was set in the late 60's and was very big still. Tommy, while an early 1970's thing was still very much 60's-ish. In 1979 the stage play of Hair became a motion picture that did pretty well at the box office. So, no, I dont think there was a back-lash to 60's culture, rather simply a continuation of the 1960's. The 60's evolved into the 70's, much in the same way the 80's evolved into the 90's.

As far as the 1970's to 1980's cross over...I think the 80's backlash was against the events of the 70's. There was the Vietnam War and its end, Watergate, the energy crisis, 3 mile island, the Witlam Government dismissal in Australia, and the New York City black out. Disco, it has been noted, was a direct result of the problems felt during the 70's and when it wasnt needed any more it was discarded, and so too was anything that went with it, that being the fashion. If you notice, not everything in the 70's was derided in the 80's. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper, Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, KISS and others were still embraced by the 80's teens. I believe this was because they were not a reminder of the events that made life hard during the 70's.

Myself, as an 80's teen, embraced the 70's culture from the time that decade ended. To me, good music, be it disco, heavy metal, rock, punk, middle of the road, blues, etc, was good music and I wasnt willing to let good music simply fade away. I had a field day in the 80's...Collecting all those 70's albums noone wanted any more. I had a lot of singles from the 70's and albums, but went out and got all the ones I had missed originally. Add to that the fact that I was collecting 80's music as well, and youll see why I had a field day in the early to mid 80's. Then came CDs and while most people were buying new music on CD, I was getting the new music plus the re-release of the 1970's Lps and 70's compilations.

So...sorry, I digress...There was no 'real' backlash to the 60's because people saw that decade as a decade of immense change and the 'hippy' movment had an agenda that was generally a good one. The 70's, however, saw the escelation of the Vietnam war backlash and other things Ive already mentioned. Unfortunately, Disco was seen as a way to forget the troubles of the time, and it was discarded and derided when it was no longer needed, as too was the 'disco fashion'.

Just my 2 cents worth.

AN

That makes sense.  I would replace "80s and 90s" with "90s and 00s" though.  The 2000s are really just a continued evolution of the '90s, while the '90s were similar to the '80s but also quickly departed from them in certain aspects, pop culture being one of them. 

Written By: Tia on 01/18/06 at 12:36 pm

as i recall the seventies were the first "Me Decade." and then every decade after that has also been the "Me Decade."

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/18/06 at 6:58 pm

The 70's weren't overindulgent? The whole disco thing was all about excess! This was when the sexual revolution came into full swing, and they didn't have to worry about AIDS back then. (I even found out years later that some of my neighbors in my small Nebraska hometown did a little bit of "swinging" back then.) Check out the 1998 movie 54 and you'll see what I mean.  ;)
     In my opinion, this was the backlash against the 60's. The U.S. had just been through its most turbulent and divisive period since probably the Civil War.  The backlash wasn't so much against the 60's counterculture--it had more to do with the fact that people were burned out by the events of the last decade. The nation had just withstood the twin national traumas of Vietnam and Watergate, and people wanted to put that all behind them, so a lot of them blew off some steam by getting coked to the gills and screwing everything that moved.

I have to agree...people wanted to blot out the horror of Vietnam and the Watergate mess...by disco dancing, snorting coke, and having sexual relations with anyone they could get..or get horny!

Written By: Nostalgic on 01/19/06 at 12:58 am

You could split the '70s into the first half and the second half, because people's attitudes changed with most of the fashion and the music.

Written By: Banks on 01/19/06 at 5:30 am

You could split the '70s into the first half and the second half, because people's attitudes changed with most of the fashion and the music.

I definately agree with you. If you look back at old magazines you can see the fashion of the 1970's change very quickly around 1976/1977. The music began to get heavier in the late 60's and that trend continued into until around 1975, when rock music got as heavy as it could without changeing genres. Also, it was around 1974 that disco began to raise its awsome head on the pop scene.

AN

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/01/06 at 2:23 pm

as i recall the seventies were the first "Me Decade." and then every decade after that has also been the "Me Decade."

Every decade since has become increasingly selfish.

Check for new replies or respond here...