inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jesus Christ Superstar

Written By: Bratpac on 01/17/06 at 12:06 pm

I just saw this movie on cable a few nights ago.  It made me think of the Jesus Freak movement.  Does anyone know about them or knew someone in that movement, if so what were they like?  :)  Thanks.

Subject: Re: Jesus Christ Superstar

Written By: SweetAlice on 01/17/06 at 12:21 pm

I just saw this movie on cable a few nights ago.  It made me think of the Jesus Freak movement.  Does anyone know about them or knew someone in that movement, if so what were they like?  :)  Thanks.

My older sister went to HS with a few. One in particular stands out in my mind, he had long white-blonde hair and was very into Jesus... not that theres anything wrong with that.

For awhile, he snapped out of it and eventually came out the closet ... then he "found" Jesus again in the late 80's and went back in.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/17/06 at 3:25 pm

The movie was good-but when you get Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice together, how could you go wrong.

As for "Jesus freaks", I knew a lot of them. Used to live in Tulsa, Okla-need I say more? Btw, there is one who hangs out on the political boards.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 01/17/06 at 6:18 pm

An excellent movie,I know every word to every song in it.
If you remember,Godspell was another movement musical.
We had one guy who was a Jesus freak,Every day Bible Bob
would stop us on the way to school to preach to us.One day
I showed him that the bible tells you not to pray in the
"synagogues and street corners like the hypocrites do",
from that day on he left us alone.

Written By: Carl on 01/18/06 at 8:18 am

The song 'Superstar' was sung by Murray Head, who a decade later did the 80s hit 'One Night in Bangkok'

Written By: Tanya1976 on 01/18/06 at 11:23 am

I love this movie!!!!

I know every song!!!! You must've caught it on Sundance!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/06 at 12:48 pm

The song 'Superstar' was sung by Murray Head, who a decade later did the 80s hit 'One Night in Bangkok'

"One Night in Bangkok" was ALSO written by Tim Rice (from the play Chess)-who only wrote the lyrics to "Superstar" but there is a connection there.

Cat

Written By: Bratpac on 01/18/06 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the info.  I don't much about Tim Rice or Head Murry.  I liked One Night in Bangkok.  The second time I watched the movie I really liked it more than the first time.  Yes Sundance is the chanel.  I'd like to see more on the subject.  Thanks again all. :)

Written By: Bratpac on 01/18/06 at 5:50 pm

Oh,yeh.  I don't know about Tulsa OK.  Never been there, haven't been much of anywhere except Ohio.  It must be pretty interesting. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/06 at 6:54 pm

Oh,yeh.  I don't know about Tulsa OK.  Never been there, haven't been much of anywhere except Ohio.  It must be pretty interesting. ;D

It is in the heart of the Bible Belt. Home of Oral Roberts-and Oral Roberts University.  ::)

It also has the "Center of the Universe" there.  ;D ;D

I still have family there and visit it quite frequently.

Cat

Written By: Banks on 01/19/06 at 5:38 am

Were there two versions of Jesus Christ Superstar the movie? There was the one that was very much like the stage play...set back in the time of Christ...Then there was another that I think was produced by some University students and the crucifixion consisted of the 'Jesus' character being 'crucified' on a wire fence with red material doubling for blood. If I remember there was singing in the student one, and Ive always equated both movies as the same.

So, were there two versions?

Or are they both different movies altogether?

Oh, and I too love Jesus Christ Superstar the movie...The stage play rocked as well, and I believe you can get both the original US version with the US cast and the Australian cast version on DVD.

AN

Written By: KKay on 01/19/06 at 8:53 am

I got all this down- my mom was a huuuuge fan and I know that show note for note.
BUT to answer your question, my sister was in this Lutheran youth group and she did a presentation for them
when she was a teen:
The parallel lives of Christ (from Superstar) and Tommy (as in The Who's Tommy)
Yikes! :-\\
yeah, she's still a big hippie.

Here's a good tale: I was in tech for theater for years and years on tour. Our show met u p with another show at a hotel stop.
The other troupe was performing Superstar.  I met Ted Neely, who was Jesus in the movie- he was recreating his role on stage, on tour.
They had this crazy souvenier that they sold in the lobby...a foam (nerf) frisbee with a christ face...think shroud of tourin or, as I called it, the frisbee of tourin.
He gave this to me.
So I enjoy telling folks that I met Jesus in a hotel disco and he gave me a nerf frisbee. :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/06 at 9:21 am

I lkie the movie alot, can't wait until I get it on DVD.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/19/06 at 3:11 pm

Were there two versions of Jesus Christ Superstar the movie? There was the one that was very much like the stage play...set back in the time of Christ...Then there was another that I think was produced by some University students and the crucifixion consisted of the 'Jesus' character being 'crucified' on a wire fence with red material doubling for blood. If I remember there was singing in the student one, and Ive always equated both movies as the same.

So, were there two versions?

Or are they both different movies altogether?

Oh, and I too love Jesus Christ Superstar the movie...The stage play rocked as well, and I believe you can get both the original US version with the US cast and the Australian cast version on DVD.

AN

The second one sounds like Godspell.

Cat

Written By: KKay on 01/19/06 at 3:17 pm

Cat

Yeah, that sounds like Godspell...which Paul Schaffer was playing the organ for...and I think he may have been musical director on that film....

Written By: loki 13 on 01/19/06 at 6:20 pm

I have a cd and dvd of the New Stage Production of
Jesus Christ Superstar with Glenn Carter as Jesus.
I wanted to go see the play with Sebastian Bach,
of Skid Row, as Jesus but I never got the chance.

Written By: Banks on 01/20/06 at 5:07 am

Cat

Thanks Cat and Kkay!!!

So...Now I have to go out and find Godspell on DVD as well as JCS. I have the US and Australian stage versions of JCS (early 1970's), but not the movie.

Thanks again guys!!!

AN

Written By: imhowold? on 01/20/06 at 11:51 am

How about Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat?
I Loved that show & still sing all the songs from it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/06 at 12:09 pm

How about Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat?
I Loved that show & still sing all the songs from it.

Another Webber/Rice production. I like Joseph better than JCS. I have it on video with Donny Osmond. I'm not a big Osmond fan but he was really good in that.

Cat

Written By: imhowold? on 01/20/06 at 12:17 pm

Catwoman;
I have it on video also....Donny Osmond was terrific in it.
My kids love it

Written By: KKay on 01/20/06 at 12:23 pm

Oohhh. Joseph...
I was in that show once...

CAn you recall all the colors in order? I'll try.

It was red and orange and yellow and pink and something and crimson and purple and something
...I keep wanting to say orange...
oh! ochre and peach and olive and something...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/06 at 12:45 pm

Oohhh. Joseph...
I was in that show once...

CAn you recall all the colors in order? I'll try.

It was red and orange and yellow and pink and something and crimson and purple and something
...I keep wanting to say orange...
oh! ochre and peach and olive and something...

It was red and yellow and green and brown and scarlet and black and ochre and peach and ruby and violet and olive and fawn and  and chocolate and mauve and purple and gold and pink and white and ___ and  orange and blue.

I know I missed a lot of colors in there somewhere. I am very tempted to cheat here.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: KKay on 01/20/06 at 12:52 pm

oh yeah. scarlet and fawn....is fawn beige?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/06 at 12:56 pm

Ok, I think I know where I messed up on.

....purple and white and pink and orange and blue.

I put the pink in the wrong place.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 01/22/06 at 6:14 pm

I loved the original London cast recording with Deep Purple's Ian Gillan as Jesus.

There was a new performance of  Jesus Christ Superstar broadcast on PBS around last Easter...anyone see it?

Written By: KKay on 01/23/06 at 8:42 am

I loved the original London cast recording with Deep Purple's Ian Gillan as Jesus.

There was a new performance of  Jesus Christ Superstar broadcast on PBS around last Easter...anyone see it?

Oh....he rocks!

Check for new replies or respond here...