inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was that Purple medicine?

Written By: imhowold? on 01/19/06 at 10:29 pm

Hey everybody,

My husband & I are trying to come up with the name of a medicine used back in the 70's.

It was prescription only, a purple liquid, had to be refrigerated, it would get a crusted sugar glaze on the bottle top, & was delicious.

I remember getting it for coughs & colds.
My husband got it for those things plus headaches, stomach aches, ear aches, etc... (mom over medicated I think).

I have called my dad & he has called his mom, but no one can remember the name of it.
Most all of our friends also remember this  purple "cure all"....It was the best part of getting sick.

Anyone remember this or have any ideas what it was?

Subject: Re: What was that Purple medicine?

Written By: ktelqueen on 01/19/06 at 10:32 pm

was it Dimetap that tasted like grape juice?i LOVED that stuff!!!  :D ;D

Written By: imhowold? on 01/20/06 at 11:26 am

Hey,
My husband's grandmother came through for us !
It was Novahistine DH with Codeine  :D
No Wonder we all loved it so much  :P

Written By: spaceace on 01/31/06 at 2:21 pm

Grape medicine with codine for kids.  In this day in age the FDA would freak over such a concept. Come to think of it I do remember grape cough syrup that made me sleepy. As I recall it was mostly perscribed for kids with bronchitis. :)

Written By: hot_wax on 01/31/06 at 9:51 pm

Hey everybody,

My husband & I are trying to come up with the name of a medicine used back in the 70's.

It was prescription only, a purple liquid, had to be refrigerated, it would get a crusted sugar glaze on the bottle top, & was delicious.

I remember getting it for coughs & colds.
My husband got it for those things plus headaches, stomach aches, ear aches, etc... (mom over medicated I think).

I have called my dad & he has called his mom, but no one can remember the name of it.
Most all of our friends also remember this  purple "cure all"....It was the best part of getting sick.

Anyone remember this or have any ideas what it was?

The only thing that comes to mind is Cheracol, but that was red, but I do remember my mom giving the purple stuff to me too, but this was in the 50's. My wife says it sounds like Dimatap if it was in the 70's.

HW

Written By: Walker on 08/03/12 at 2:05 pm

Bismuth Violet

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/04/12 at 1:11 am

Bismuth Violet

Taken orally?!  Really?  (I dunno, stranger things have happened, but that doesn't look tasty.)

Back to the original question, the prescription indication suggests the presence of codeine.  Probably some combo of codeine, dextromethorphan, and guaifienesin as an expectorant?  The purple was probably just a coloration.  Was it grape-flavored?

I'm gonna throw out some old brand names: Actifed, Coactifed, and someone's already mentioned Dimetapp.  I've long forgotten whether or not these medications were prescription, over-the-counter, nor whether they were ever supposed to be refrigerated.  Was it supposed to be refrigerated, or was that just something parents did back in the day?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/04/12 at 3:12 am

I remember some bright green medicine that I took when I was 4 or 5, it was awful.  Don't know what it did, or what it was called.  It too, was a liquid.  Thankfully only had to take one bottle of the stuff.  It was horrible.  The only thing I can compare it with is when I had to eat potassium salts.  Blech.  8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...