inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 1970's Big Hits That Were Recorded "Live"

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/22/06 at 6:42 pm

I'm trying to collect examples of big hits in the 1970's that were "live" recordings.  (Not looking for album cuts or flip sides.)  What live hits can you remember?

I'll start with a few:

"Maybe I'm Amazed" by McCartney and Wings
"Conquistador" by Procol Harum
"Do You Feel Like We Do" by Peter Frampton

What others can you think of?  :)

Subject: Re: 1970's Big Hits That Were Recorded "Live"

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/06 at 7:05 pm

"Coming Up" by Paul McCartney comes to mind.  It was recorded Live in Glasgow in 1979, but it didn't chart until 1980

Written By: stingr22 on 01/23/06 at 4:25 pm

Here are a few that come to mind...

I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick (1979)
Ain't That A Shame - Cheap Trick (1979)
Surrender - Cheap Trick (1978)
Ridin' The Storm Out - REO Speedwagon (1977)
Lights/Stay Awhile - Journey (1978)
Baby, I Love Your Way - Peter Frampton (1976)
Show Me The Way - Peter Frampton (1976)
Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd (live version charted in 1976)
My Ding-A-Ling - Chuck Berry (1972)

Written By: Paul on 01/23/06 at 5:54 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 01/23/06 at 7:03 pm

Us British preferred the studio version...the 'live' version was on the flip...

Hawkwind's 'Silver Machine' was recorded live, but had sound effects stuck onto the start so it sounded like it wasn't...

Larry Groce's 'Junk Food Junkie' was live...not in an arena, but in a guitar shop in Santa Monica!

Billboard had trouble deciding what the folks in the USA preferred - the studio version was shown on the charts up to the point it hit #1 - then on the way down the live version was listed.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/23/06 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for all the ideas!  :D 

You guys rock!!!  :)  Keep em' coming... 

Written By: Albert (member DaBukaba) on 01/23/06 at 8:31 pm

"The Wonder of You" by Elvis Presley was recorded live & peaked at #9 nationally in 1970. Yes, it was 1970.

Written By: Albert (member DaBukaba) on 01/23/06 at 9:27 pm

"The Wonder of You" by Elvis Presley was recorded live & peaked at #9 nationally in 1970. Yes, it was 1970.

Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling" was also recorded live and was a #1 hit in 1972. I know, these songs aren't what's nowadays associated with the 70's, but they WERE in the 70's.

Written By: Albert (member DaBukaba) on 01/23/06 at 9:33 pm

Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling" was also recorded live and was a #1 hit in 1972. I know, these songs aren't what's nowadays associated with the 70's, but they WERE in the 70's.

I'll be honest...that's my problem with these boards...they're all about modern associations and generalizations, and sharp dividing lines between years. The year 1969, for example, is kept away from 1970 by an entire board.

Written By: Banks on 01/24/06 at 2:43 am

I'll be honest...that's my problem with these boards...they're all about modern associations and generalizations, and sharp dividing lines between years. The year 1969, for example, is kept away from 1970 by an entire board.

I agree. I feel the same about 1979 and 1980. On the Tapes I used to make up as a teenager Id always put songs from 1980 on my 70's compilations. Its hard to pick when the 70's type songs became 80's type songs...But I used to put songs up to June 1981 on compilation tapes.

Now...big hits that were recorded live...

Here in Australia Paper Lace's The Night Chicago Died had both a studio version and a live version. The studio version always got played on the radio except when they were reviewing the charts, and then they'd play the live version. I have both on vinyl. I believe both charted here in Australia.

AN

Written By: KKay on 01/24/06 at 10:59 am

I Want You To Want Me - Cheap Trick (1979)

the best of all mentioned.
sooo great.

Written By: Paul on 01/25/06 at 7:13 am

Here in Australia Paper Lace's The Night Chicago Died had both a studio version and a live version. The studio version always got played on the radio except when they were reviewing the charts, and then they'd play the live version. I have both on vinyl. I believe both charted here in Australia.

You poor sods...one version would've been enough!

Can't let this thread go without mention of the 'British Institution' that is Status Quo...they produced a fine 'live' version of 'Roll Over Lay Down' in 1975...

...and another 'legend', Alex Harvey (along with his 'Sensational Band') who turned in a rollicking performance of 'Delilah' the same year...

Written By: gord on 01/25/06 at 4:40 pm

Jackson Brownes 'Running On Empty' and 'The Load Out/Stay'  are a couple more :)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 01/25/06 at 10:19 pm

Rock And Roll All Night - Kiss

Written By: KKay on 01/26/06 at 10:16 am

Jackson Brownes 'Running On Empty' and 'The Load Out/Stay'  are a couple more :)

I as just going to say that...two great songs, one great album!

Written By: gord on 01/26/06 at 9:36 pm

I as just going to say that...two great songs, one great album!

and it's cool to read on the album sleeve where some of the songs on it were recorded

'Nothing But Time' was recorded on a bus somewhere in New Jersey

'Shakytown' and 'Cocaine' were recorded in room 124 at the holiday inn in Edwardsville Illinois

'Rosie' was recorded in the big rehearsal room at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center

'The Road' was recorded in room 301 at the Cross Keys Inn

great stuff :)

Written By: vinyl lover on 01/27/06 at 9:24 pm

i always liked "SCHOOL" by supertramp!!!My friend had it on reel to reel and the clarity was awesome!! Also was" bennie and the jets" live or was it a false audience?

Written By: Banks on 01/27/06 at 11:16 pm

In 1972 Jerry Lee Lewis charted (at least here in Australia) with a live version of Chantilly Lace, and an excellent rendition it is too.

AN

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/09/06 at 2:29 am

Turn The Page by Bob Seger was recorded live at Cobo Arena in 1977, I believe.

Anything from the Frampton Comes Alive album can be added too, especially Baby I Love Your Way.

Written By: KKay on 02/09/06 at 9:55 am

and it's cool to read on the album sleeve where some of the songs on it were recorded

great stuff :)

When I got that when I was a kid I read it over and over, daydreaming about life on the road- great album. I should pull that one off the shelves when I get home.

Check for new replies or respond here...