inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where Were You? compilation CDs

Written By: Banks on 01/28/06 at 12:51 am

I have recently been buying a series of CDs called 'Where Were You?'  There are 21 CDs in the collection all with 18 tracks each.

They begin with 'Where Were You? 1970' and have one CD for each subsequent year right up to, and including 'Where Were You? 1990'.

So far I have 1972, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980 and 1981. I intend on getting the entire collection.

They were compiled by a guy named Bruce Ward and also feature information such as biggest movies, TV shows and events on the inside sleeve as well as information about some of the artists and songs which appear on the CD.

At JB Hi-Fi each DC costs $12.99 Australian. At Sanity theyre $14.99 Australian.

The series was released by EMI Australia in 2002.

Its a great series and features some classic old songs that arent heard that much any more.

Im not sure if they're available elsewhere in the world, but could posibly be imported if the series is only available in Australia.

Below are some songs taken from the CDs I already have in the series (NOT in any order):

Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress by The Hollies

The Promised Land by Dave Edmunds

Sealed With A Kiss by Bobby Vinton

Son Of My Father by Chickory Tip

Roll Over Bethoven by Electric Light Orchestra

I Am Pegasus by Ross Ryan

Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple

Delta Dawn by Helen Reddy

China Grove by The Doobie Brothers

Living Next Door To Alice by New World

Living Next Door To Alice by Smokie

You Aint Seen Nothing Yet by Bachman Turner Overdrive

Hooked On A Feeling by Blue Swede

Kung Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas

La Grange by ZZ Top

The Air That U Breathe by The Hollies

Ramblin Man by The Allman Brothers Ban

Bonapartes Retreat by Glen Campbell

Emma by Hot Chocolate

Devil Woman by Cliff Richard

(Shake Shake Shake) Shake Your Booty by K.C and the Sunshine Band

S-s-s-single Bed by Fox

I Hate The Music by John Paul Young

Glass Of Champaign by Sailor

Lady Bump by Penny McLean

Daddy Cool by Boney M

April Sun In Cuba by Dragon

Hotline by The Sylvers

Dance Little Lady, Dance by Tina Charles

She Did It by Eric Carmen

In The Flesh by Blondie

Aint Gonna Bump No More (With No Big Fat Woman) by Joe Tex

Rivers Of babylon by Boney M

Black Is Black by Belle Epoque

Yes Sir I Can Boogie by Baccara

Jack And Jill by Raydio

Are You Old Enough by Dragon

Neddles And Pins by Smokie

Ebony Eyes by Bob Welch

Lay Your Love On Me by Racey

Dream Police by Cheap Trick

Stumblin' In by Suzie Quatro and Chris Norman (of Smokie)

Baby Its You by Promises

Pop Muzic by M

Lucky Number by Lene Lovich

Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick by Ian Dury

Knock On Wood by Amii Stewart

Some Girls by Racey

And thats NOT all of the songs from the 70's CDs of this collection (in fact its 48 songs of 180 that appear on the 70's CDs of this compilation) and considering EVERY song is from the Australian charts (and Aussie charts pretty much mimicked British and US charts), then more than likely you will know all the songs on each of the CDs.

If you get ALL of the CDs youll have 378 songs in this collection spanning 1970 to 1990 inclusive.

And while the guy who compiled them does get it wrong sometimes (such as putting The Jacksons' Blame It On The Boogie on the 1980 CD when it was a hit in 1978), at least you still get the songs youve missed.

I know this sounds like an ad for these CDs, but honestly, I LOVE them!!! There are songs I never thought Id find on CD, or never thought Id find on a compilation CD. They are great and are an excellent way to collect some great tunes.

Aparently EMI Australia are planning a second lot of CDs in the same style which feature other charted hits from 1970 to 1990. Also they are planning to expant the original collection to include 1960 to 1969 and 1991 to 2000. Im hoping they do get released.

Hope this is useful to someone.

AN

Check for new replies or respond here...