inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 70's Movie and/or TV show youve been watching or have watched recently?

Written By: Banks on 01/31/06 at 3:59 am

The title explains itself. The shows/movies can be animated or live action.

Movie:

Salems Lot

Carrie

and

Hair

TV Show:

Love Thy Neighbour (finished watching the first and second seasons on DVD last night)

AN

Subject: Re: 70's Movie and/or TV show youve been watching or have watched recently?

Written By: Skippy(not signed in) on 02/01/06 at 1:07 am

70's eh? Well lately I find myself watching 'Harry O' on American Life Network. I also try to watch 'Rockford Files' at every opportunity. Movies? 'Animal House', lots o' stuff by Mel Brooks from the 70's.

Subject: Re: 70's Movie and/or TV show youve been watching or have watched recently?

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/06 at 1:14 am

I watch "Welcome Back, Kotter" everyday on Prime (Canadian TV channel)

Written By: SweetAlice on 02/01/06 at 10:12 am

Good Times seems to be playing everytime I turn on the TV -I still enjoy it though.

I've also been watching Banana Splits when I can't sleep. I know it's from the 60's, but  I remember tuning-in religiously in the 70's, before I started kindergarden. The skits in between the cartoons are genius... such a time capsule.  :) What's not to love about groovy vintage kids dancing to psychedelic music with large acid-tripping animals?

Written By: Tia on 02/01/06 at 10:29 am

i was just watching electra woman and dynagirl last night. well, i actually just had it on in the background while i memorized songs for this new band.

also, a bit of the late 70s t.v. adaptation of logan's run. it's very endearingly goofy.

Written By: KKay on 02/01/06 at 12:17 pm

I always tune in for "The Shield"- great show!!!

I love Maximum Exposure, too...check that out if you have it. I"m recently digging Inside the Actor's Studio.
d

Written By: Banks on 02/01/06 at 5:51 pm

Last night I watched an Aussie TV show called Kingswood Country...Hilarious.

I also watched Hong Kong Phooey.

AN

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/02/06 at 12:08 am

8)  I just bought my fave 1972 horror movie on DVD ..Gargoyles!...Its cheesy but I was scared outta my mind at the time and I love it!

Written By: Tia on 02/02/06 at 8:51 am

gargoyles sounds like just my cup of tea. i was going to add it to my queue but then discovered it was already there! that happens to me a lot.

i'm getting ready to check out some hardy boys/nancy drew (remember that!? omg!) and more afterschool specials. just can't get enough afterschool specials.

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/02/06 at 9:16 am

;D OOHH I loved the Hardy Boys..wasnt one of them Parker Stevenson???...SSOO fine and wasnt the other one sean..( SP?)  Cassidy?..I also read ALL off the Nancy Drew books! I loved the afterschool specials too..great messages for kids about what NOT to do!!

Written By: Tia on 02/02/06 at 9:21 am

i'm regularly shocked and stunned at how DARK the afterschool specials were. it was just a kaleidoscope of drug addiction, alcoholism, rejection, depression, betrayal and untimely death! i love em.

i had totally forgotten about the hardy boys, i'm not even sure what made me remember them. but i was all about nancy drew. she was way cuter. sean cassidy was the big star, though, i was always bitter that he kinda eclipsed her.

did they ever meet, the hardy boys and nancy drew, or were their stories totally separated? i guess i'll find out soon enough, i put it on the top of my queue.

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/02/06 at 9:44 am

::) You know, I dont remember if they met either!..Prob did...I just really was into Sean Cassidy and Parker Stevenson...Remember a few years back Kirstie Alley was married to Parker and when she accepted her award for an Emmy, I think, She thanked him for giving her the BIG ONE all those years!...they showed his face and it was hysterical!

Written By: Tia on 02/02/06 at 9:48 am

i went to the home page and it looks like in the first season they were totally separate and aired on alternate weeks, but the second season at least once or twice they'd team up to solve crimes. the third season they got rid of nancy drew and just had the hardy boys! wtf!? i imagine i lost interest after that, started watching space:1999 reruns or something.

is it just me or do they not make t.v. shows like they used to? was it just because i was a little retarded kid and would fall for anything? t.v. just doesn't seem as fun anymore. :\'(

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/02/06 at 9:59 am

8) I know what you mean.. TV is sooo violent now and its just not the same..even the shows that are supposed to be for kids are , well, a little too nasty....and have you seen the soap operas?? They are way too much for kids!! 

Written By: Tia on 02/02/06 at 10:00 am

yeah, i'm definitely not a prude either. i'm all about violence, cussing, sex, whatever, that doesn't bother me. i just don't get why it has to be EVERYWHERE. isn't it kinda fun to just tell a story sometimes?

Written By: Tia on 02/02/06 at 10:01 am

rrgggh, i put the first disk on my queue and it turns out it's ALL hardy boys. the third disk is ALL nancy drew! that's so bogus! they shoulda put em on the disk in the order they aired em!

dag.

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/02/06 at 10:05 am

:D I love to watch the stuff when my little girl isnt around, but when she comes home from school I really have to be carefull....remember a long time ago they wouldnt even show Tampon commercials???..now they show Condom commercials on MTV like its nothing!

Written By: Banks on 02/03/06 at 3:40 am

I completely agree with you guys...TV these days is ALL about violence and nastiness. Even kids shows. I remember when the most violent a cartoon got was when the Coyote fell off a cliff and was hit on the head by a falling anvil, or when the Superfriends had to stop an evil villain BEFORE things got all violent...Now, if there isnt a bit of death and destruction before the bad guys are stopped its a miracle.

Dont get me wrong either...I love my violent, swearing, blood gushing, pencil through the foot (AKA Evil Dead) film...But sometimes I like to watch a movie where the violence is implied, or just does not happen. Even Disney sometimes lets the bad guys get their way for a while!!!

Anyway...

Today I watched the full length mini-series verion of Salems Lot.

Ive also began to watch the mini-series Roots.

TV show I watched:

Mind Your Language.

AN

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/03/06 at 9:13 pm

Lately, been watching lotsa MASH.

What's funny is, back in the 70's I was totally aware of MASH but didn't watch it much.  Maybe I wasn't mature enough then  ;D  Anyway, we've been watching MASH reruns and thoroughly enjoying them  ::)

Written By: Banks on 02/03/06 at 10:33 pm

Ive always loved MASH, even though I was only very young. I especially like the episode where Hawkeye, BJ and Winchester tear up the Swamp over their differences.

Such a great show.

Today I watched The Muppet Show (the guest was some old English comedian).

And this was my 300th post!!!

YAY!!!

AN

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/03/06 at 11:18 pm

;D I love all the old shows!...I always watch Good Times and M.A.S.H....Gunsmoke...Welcome Back Kotter, ( Up your nose with a rubber hose!)..soo corny! and the Jeffersons..All In The family...Fantasy island...( I always wanted to be one of the guests..)...The Love Boat... The Waltons...Little House on the Prarie...Chico and the Man...OHH and one of my all time faves..Sanford and Son...Redd Foxx was a comic geniuis!..SP???

Written By: Tia on 02/04/06 at 9:04 am

i think it's reddddd foxxxxxx.

i started the hardy boys/nancy drews last night. although the first disk is all hardy boys! totally hacks me off. i'm in it for the nancy drew. it's cute but i have no recollection of why i was so obsessed with it when i was a kid. it's not really that mysterious -- in that it's not like you could solve the mystery until the end anyway, when they always get together in the living room and explain it -- and it's weird how much of it has to do with military intelligence, spies who come in from the cold, cold war stuff! i thought it would either be the scooby doo formula -- you know, supernatural shysters whom the hardy boys uncover as frauds -- or the agatha christie thing, a crime is committed and then there's a bunch of suspects and the hardy boys always find out the guilty party is the person you least suspect.

i bet my tune will change when i see my first nancy drew.

Written By: robby76 on 02/04/06 at 10:42 am

Tia - I bought the Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries when it was released. My fave episode is the Case of the Solid Gold Kicker. Most of the episodes are fun to watch but I remember the HB one in Chinatown being a bit dull. I may buy Season 2 if it ever gets released but I'll stop there.

Written By: GREEN67 on 02/05/06 at 12:35 am

8)I dont know if you guys noticed, but, all my posts are in the wrong order, backwards...the ones I first posted are last and the olderones are first!...I have complained twice now, but no action yet..SO, if you read my posts and they are wierd and out of order...thats why! BUT the reason I posted again on this topic is M.A.S.H....I bought the entire set from Time Life and I LOVE it...Alan Alda was just great..as were the rest of the cast..but my dad really reminds me of Alda..I also remember just waiting for10:30 to come around to watch it...Before that it was Gunsmoke, I think.. then I had to go to bed...I was Director Of Medical Records  for a major Hospital here for 10 years so the whole Medical thing really intrigues me...

Written By: Banks on 02/05/06 at 12:57 am

Movies I watched last night and today:

Escape To Witch Mountain

King Kong (1976)

TV shows:

Part 3 of Roots

AN

Written By: Tia on 02/05/06 at 5:19 am

Movies I watched last night and today:

Escape To Witch Mountain

anyone in that movie look at all familiar? :)

Written By: retrolady on 02/05/06 at 9:11 am

70's films I've watched lately: "The omen" and The" Texas chainsaw Massacre"

Written By: Banks on 02/05/06 at 6:17 pm

anyone in that movie look at all familiar? :)

Yes, actually, seeing the picture in your avatar was what prompted me to watch it again...Now I only need to find Escape From Witch Mountain.

I used to absolutely LOVE Kim Richards when I was a kid. Had posters and little pin ups all over my walls. Everyone would ask me who I wanted to marry, and Id always say either Kim Richards or Jessica Lange (from King Kong 1976)...But Kim would always win though.

Ahhhh those were the days.

AN

Written By: KKay on 02/06/06 at 8:21 am

8)  I just bought my fave 1972 horror movie on DVD ..Gargoyles!...Its cheesy but I was scared outta my mind at the time and I love it!

I know I"m coming to this late but YES!!!
I bought that last year. It's one of the greatest!
Man, now I have to go home today and watch it...thanks for the memory!

Written By: Tia on 02/06/06 at 8:28 am

Yes, actually, seeing the picture in your avatar was what prompted me to watch it again...Now I only need to find Escape From Witch Mountain.

I used to absolutely LOVE Kim Richards when I was a kid. Had posters and little pin ups all over my walls. Everyone would ask me who I wanted to marry, and Id always say either Kim Richards or Jessica Lange (from King Kong 1976)...But Kim would always win though.

kim richards rules! she gets my vote for president. jessica lange is the bee's knees too.

return from witch mountain is actually not quite as good as the first one. just so you know. although it has a really smokin' soundtrack.

Written By: KKay on 02/06/06 at 9:23 am

OK- I am a thorogh 70s tv fan and if you see the last post you'll understand that I misunderstood the question.
I have been watching the great and awfully produced dvd collection of the Captian and Tenille shows!  Ugh!
Jackie Gleason and Penny Marshal and the gang from Welcome Back, Kotter!  This is half wonderful nostalgia and half cringe-TV I had forgotten that Darryl Dragon was actually a cutie.

Written By: Michael C. on 02/11/09 at 8:29 pm

Recently I got on a 70's Paul Newman kick :

The Drowning Pool {one of My Fav 70's Private Eye Films}
The Mackintosh Man
Buffalo Bill and the Indians or Sitting Bull's History Lesson

I enjoy a lot of 70's TV shows.....I just picked up Hawaii Five-O Fifth Season {because it has the 3 part "V FOR VASHON" episodes}

Written By: Capt Quirk on 02/12/09 at 5:39 am

Aside from an occasional cartoon, I really haven't seen anything from the 70's lately. I have however, recently discovered the Maverick series on Encore Westerns from the late 50's, early 60's, and thoroughly enjoy it with my 10 year old. I did also learn about this- http://www.cbs.com/classics/ Been waiting for the cable to go out before delving into these.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/09 at 6:37 am

The Knack, and How to Get It  was on in the early morning hours.  :)

Written By: Michael C. on 02/14/09 at 5:00 pm

Watching The Godfather
One of My fav Movies of all time.
Great story.Great Acting.
One of the Best of the 70's !!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...