inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Obscure 70's TV series please help

Written By: Goliath on 02/01/06 at 1:55 am

Hi everybody, I'm a new member. I wonder if anyone on this list can help me out with an enquiry about a TV programme my wife remembers as a child in the 70's.

She says she remembers a preview for it with a diver swimming past a porthole of a sunken ship, when a person appears from behind the porthole inside the ship. It appears that there are people living inside the ship under the sea.

To clarify, we are (and always have been) UK based, but she does not know if the programme was UK or US.

I am roughly the same age as her, she's 7 months older than me, and yet I have no recollection of such a programme, she's driving me mad going on about it!!  :D

Can anyone confirm either:

1. The programme's existence, name and details.

or

2. My view that my wife probably dreamt the whole thing!

Thanks guys!

Subject: Re: Obscure 70's TV series please help

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/06 at 2:07 am

Could it have been The Man from Atlantis, first broadcast in 1977, starring Patrick Duffy?

Written By: Banks on 02/01/06 at 2:56 am

Hi, and welcome...

It sounds to me to be the mini-series called The Goliath Awaits.

Its about a ship that sinks and people onboard actually survive and begin a small 'civilisation' on the sunken ship. They are later found by people who were searching for the sunken ship. The people searching for the ship did not expect people to still be alive onboard 30 odd years later.

The searchers are invited on board the ship by the captain, who has had a daughter since the ship sank. She has never seen the surface. It turns out that one of the the men who have recently found the ship and been invited onboard falls for the captains daughter and wants to take her to the surface, but the captain wont allow ANYONE to leave the ship.

I wont give away any more details because, if you can get the mini series (and if you can please let me know as Ive been searching for it for years on both VHS and later DVD) I dont want to spoil it for you.

Its a very good show.

Oh...And Im pretty sure its a US production.

AN

Written By: Frankeneinstein on 02/01/06 at 8:05 am

Hi, and welcome...

It sounds to me to be the mini-series called The Goliath Awaits.

Its about a ship that sinks and people onboard actually survive and begin a small 'civilisation' on the sunken ship. They are later found by people who were searching for the sunken ship. The people searching for the ship did not expect people to still be alive onboard 30 odd years later.

The searchers are invited on board the ship by the captain, who has had a daughter since the ship sank. She has never seen the surface. It turns out that one of the the men who have recently found the ship and been invited onboard falls for the captains daughter and wants to take her to the surface, but the captain wont allow ANYONE to leave the ship.

I wont give away any more details because, if you can get the mini series (and if you can please let me know as Ive been searching for it for years on both VHS and later DVD) I dont want to spoil it for you.

Its a very good show.

Oh...And Im pretty sure its a US production.

AN

That's an 80's show

Written By: robby76 on 02/01/06 at 9:15 am

I rememeber this storyline, a load of oily people in rags living in a sunken ship... Goliath Awaits sounds very familiar too.

Written By: Goliath on 02/01/06 at 10:02 am

Sounds good. You notice my username is Goliath, that's because my wife thought that word could be in the title. Thank you so much Alright Now and robby76.

Frankeneinstein you say it was an 80's show, any idea of the year?

Written By: robby76 on 02/01/06 at 11:07 am

Here ya go... all the info you need. The people below the ship were the "bow" people...oooohhhh!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082461/

Written By: Goliath on 02/01/06 at 1:59 pm

Alright Now, if you go to ebay.com they have a VHS of Goliath Awaits with No bids on it yet. The seller is in the US. I don't know if it's the full version or the truncated one. Good luck and thanks for your help.

Written By: Banks on 02/01/06 at 4:38 pm

Alright Now, if you go to ebay.com they have a VHS of Goliath Awaits with No bids on it yet. The seller is in the US. I don't know if it's the full version or the truncated one. Good luck and thanks for your help.

Thanks for the info, but unfortunately, if its a US copy, I wont be able to play it on my video as it only plays PAL and the US VHS tapes are NTSC.

Thanks anyway

AN

Check for new replies or respond here...