inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Funkytown - New Wave?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/02/06 at 5:04 pm

If you listen to Funkytown, you can tell how it switches between 70s live instruments/style chorus and '80s keyboard motifs. 

Is it accurate to call it New Wave, or is it kind of a New Wave/disco fusion?

Subject: Re: Funkytown - New Wave?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/02/06 at 5:05 pm

If you listen to Funkytown, you can tell how it switches between 70s live instruments/style chorus and '80s keyboard motifs. 

Is it accurate to call it New Wave, or is it kind of a New Wave/disco fusion?

It's disco, period.

Written By: ADH13 on 02/02/06 at 5:08 pm

It's disco, period.

I still think of Funkytown as more funk than disco... I don't see much difference in style between Funkytown and Brick House...

but it's definitely not new wave!!

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/06 at 12:51 am

1. It is definately Disco. 
2. It is an 80's song :P

Written By: Banks on 02/03/06 at 3:31 am

I think this song is one of those that can fit quite well in either the disco or funk category. Personally, I would call it disco, but can hear the funk in it.

If you want a new wave (and faster version) of this song, listen to Pseudo Echo's version of Funkytown from 1987. That is going from what I know of what constitutes New Wave, and Im really no expert, and infact, dont honestly know what makes a New Wave song New Wave...

So, on that note...Forget everything I just said, because it is baseless based upon the fact that I dont know what New Wave actually is.

Sorry. :)

AN

Written By: STAR70 on 02/03/06 at 5:16 pm

proto techno funk

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/03/06 at 5:30 pm

I still think of Funkytown as more funk than disco... I don't see much difference in style between Funkytown and Brick House...

but it's definitely not new wave!!

There's a major difference between the two.

Funkytown uses synthesizers; where Brick House used actual horns and other brass instruments. Another difference is the intended audience. Funkytown was clearly marketed for Disco lovers and that scene. Brick House was very reminiscent of Motown and the audience that followed that scene.

Check for new replies or respond here...