inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite Glam Rock Icon/Band

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/04/06 at 11:14 pm

Okay, we pretty much should figure out who mine is, but I also like others. David Bowie and Sweet would come 2nd and 3rd.

I don't know if this topic is discussed much. But, what are your thoughts?

Subject: Re: Favorite Glam Rock Icon/Band

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/06 at 11:23 pm

I like Roxy Music the best.  I also liked a group called Sweeney Todd, who had one of the greatest Glam Rock songs ever with that 1976 classic "Roxy Roller"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/04/06 at 11:36 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Banks on 02/05/06 at 12:25 am

Definately T-Rex with Mr Mark Bolan!!!

AN

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/06 at 1:13 am

Definately T-Rex with Mr Mark Bolan!!!

AN

Most definitely!!!!!!!!

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/06 at 2:38 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: retrolady on 02/05/06 at 9:03 am

Marc Bolan & T.Rex, my fav group of all time.  8)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/06 at 3:04 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/06 at 3:18 pm

I love that song!!!! When I was very young, I assumed it was a woman singing it. Thankfully, my ignorance didn't last long.

I used to think that song was sung by a woman too.  Nick Gilder didn't have a very manly voice ;D

Written By: TheRemf on 02/05/06 at 3:49 pm

Sweet, by a long shot.  Except for "Ballroom Blitz" rarely heard on the oldies stations, but I liked "Little Willie" and "Blockbuster" better.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/06 at 4:08 pm

Sweet, by a long shot.  Except for "Ballroom Blitz" rarely heard on the oldies stations, but I liked "Little Willie" and "Blockbuster" better.

I've never seen anyone put them way up front. Care to explain, I'm curious.

Written By: Banks on 02/05/06 at 6:25 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/05/06 at 8:27 pm

I used to think the singer was a female too.

Funny story about how I found out Nick Gilder (I hadnt made the connection with his past hits at this time) was a guy...I always used to here the song and think the girl's voice was HOT...So much so that when he came to Australia I stayed up late to see 'her' on a late night TV show...They introduced 'her' and to my shock, I found that she was a he and needless to say I could never listen to Hot Child In The City the same way again.

AN

LOL!

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/06 at 3:13 am

I used to think the singer was a female too.

Funny story about how I found out Nick Gilder (I hadnt made the connection with his past hits at this time) was a guy...I always used to here the song and think the girl's voice was HOT...So much so that when he came to Australia I stayed up late to see 'her' on a late night TV show...They introduced 'her' and to my shock, I found that she was a he and needless to say I could never listen to Hot Child In The City the same way again.

AN

When he was singing with Sweeney Todd, he sounded a little masculine, but not much ;D

U know what's even funnier?  When Gilder left Sweeney Todd, a then unknown Bryan Adams eventually became the replacement, and although Adams has that raspy voice now, he didn't back then ;D

Written By: jaytee on 02/06/06 at 8:13 am

T-Rex

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/06/06 at 11:24 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: whiteport on 02/06/06 at 1:18 pm

Mott The Hoople for me, although all good groups to pick from, ya gotta love 70s glam & glitter  :)

Written By: KKay on 02/06/06 at 2:12 pm

I absolutely would ride the guys from Sweet around on my bike for life.
I would help T.Rex move.
But Bowie stold my heart when I was about 6 and I just can't get over it. :-*

Written By: gord on 02/06/06 at 5:10 pm

I would say early Queen as an other would be my top pick and Bowie off the list :)

Mott The Hoople has the coolest band name though :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/06 at 1:00 pm

Mott The Hoople has the coolest band name though :)

Yeah, it does. Though I couldn't get past All the Young Dudes.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 02/07/06 at 1:09 pm

I picked Sweet... :)

Written By: Paul on 02/07/06 at 1:35 pm

T. Rex...killer songs and killer looks (up until about '73)...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/06 at 2:16 pm

T. Rex...killer songs and killer looks (up until about '73)...

There are some more....you just have to found them. lol

Written By: Paul on 02/07/06 at 4:29 pm

There are some more....you just have to found them. lol

Well, I don't really need to, as I've got most of 'em!

And, put against those groundbreaking 'early' examples, they can't hold a candle...sorry!

It would have been interesting to have seen how Marc would have countered the Punk explosion, but alas! We'll never really know...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/07/06 at 5:05 pm

Well, I don't really need to, as I've got most of 'em!

And, put against those groundbreaking 'early' examples, they can't hold a candle...sorry!

It would have been interesting to have seen how Marc would have countered the Punk explosion, but alas! We'll never really know...

I stand corrected!!!!! I wasn't aware that you had them! lol

I see what you are saying, though.

I wish he had been around for the Punk explosion. He would have made an interesting journey into it.

Written By: Paul on 02/07/06 at 6:21 pm

I wish he had been around for the Punk explosion. He would have made an interesting journey into it.

He was dangerously close...there was a rumour that he and a very early version of Siouxsie & The Banshees were very, very near to recording 'something', but nothing ever materialised...

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/06 at 6:29 pm

I wonder if Marc Bolan was still alive, what would he have thought of Robert Palmer's Power Station cover of "Bang A Gong"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/08/06 at 12:56 am

He was dangerously close...there was a rumour that he and a very early version of Siouxsie & The Banshees were very, very near to recording 'something', but nothing ever materialised...

Yeah, they were

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/tanya1976/trexsiouxsie.jpg

Yeah, Whistledog, I've often wondered the same thing. I thought it was all right.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/08/06 at 1:08 am

Get It On !  Marc Bolan T. Rex      didn't he break Penny Lane's heart?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/08/06 at 1:24 am

Get It On !  Marc Bolan T. Rex       didn't he break Penny Lane's heart?

I don't know...but he sure broke mine.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/08/06 at 1:26 am

I don't know...but he sure broke mine.
There's a line about that in the movie Almost Famous.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/08/06 at 1:29 am

There's a line about that in the movie Almost Famous.

hahahaha - I thought you were talking about Kate Hudson's character!!!!!

I didn't want to look foolish if I responded correctly!  :-[

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/08/06 at 1:38 am

hahahaha - I thought you were talking about Kate Hudson's character!!!!!

I didn't want to look foolish if I responded correctly!  :-[
I was referring to Kate Hudson's character Penny lane when they first meet William Miller at the concert, he's just called them groupies and the other girl is explaining to him who Penny is, and how it was legendary that marc broke her heart. one of my fav films because it captured that 1973 era pretty well.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/08/06 at 1:40 am

I was referring to Kate Hudson's character Penny lane when they first meet William Miller at the concert, he's just called them groupies and the other girl is explaining to him who Penny is, and how it was legendary that marc broke her heart. one of my fav films because it captured that 1973 era pretty well.

Yeah, the girl went paraphrasing "She taught us to not exploit her bodies anymore. No more sex. Just blowjobs."

Right?

I like that movie too.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/08/06 at 3:31 am

Yeah, the girl went paraphrasing "She taught us to not exploit her bodies anymore. No more sex. Just blowjobs."

Right?

I like that movie too.
LOL  hahhahhah yeah, thats a funny part and the kid is so innocent. great movie. I gotta watch it again soon. I've got the bootleg directors cut, and it has some nice extras on the 2nd DVD. That's where I got the line for my pic in members photos. from the movie

Written By: Nostalgic on 02/08/06 at 4:57 am

Aren't Kiss and Alice Cooper considered glam rock? And Suzi Quatro?

I like T.Rex and Sweet.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 02/08/06 at 5:17 am

Dunno how you reckon 'Little Willy' is a better track than 'Ballroom Blitz' it sounds twee compared to Ballroom Blitz which is just totally brilliant and full of energy.

'..and the man at the back said everyone attack..'

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/08/06 at 11:28 am

Dunno how you reckon 'Little Willy' is a better track than 'Ballroom Blitz' it sounds twee compared to Ballroom Blitz which is just totally brilliant and full of energy.

'..and the man at the back said everyone attack..'

I agree. Little Willy is okay, but Ballroom Blitz blows that song out of the water.

Aren't Kiss and Alice Cooper considered glam rock? And Suzi Quatro?

I like T.Rex and Sweet.

Yeah, Kiss, Suzi Quatro, and Alice Cooper is considered glam rock. Well, their 70s work is.

LOL  hahhahhah yeah, thats a funny part and the kid is so innocent. great movie. I gotta watch it again soon. I've got the bootleg directors cut, and it has some nice extras on the 2nd DVD. That's where I got the line for my pic in members photos. from the movie

Damn, I've been trying to find the "bootleg" version.

Written By: TheRemf on 02/08/06 at 2:11 pm

It could be because the only Sweet song I hear on the oldies stations is "Ballroom Blitz."  Consequently, I've heard it dozens of times over the years.  I don't think I've heard "Blockbuster" but once on the radio since it went off the charts.  And I don't even know if Barry Scott's "Lost 45s" show is even syndicated anymore.  Since I have a greatest hits CD, I can now listen to any of them.  But I'd probably say that overexposure over the years affected by ranking of Ballroom Blitz, but I still like it - like about every other song that band released.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 02/08/06 at 3:45 pm

'Hiawatha Didn't Bother Too much.'   :)

Written By: Gis on 02/09/06 at 10:35 am

I voted for T-Rex though it was a close run thing between them and the Sweet. I also love 'Fox on the run' by the Sweet, a track that gets covered loads.

My earliest T.V. memory is of Ballroom Blitz on Top of the Pops. I was watching in my P.J's before I went to bed  and I remember my Mum sent me up before the song finished ! Apparently I also loved Tiger Feet by Mud and would dance around the room to it .
I got to see both  the Sweet and Mud a few years ago now, just before Brian Conolly died. He was very bloated and didn't sing too well but Mud were fantastic.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/11/06 at 6:54 pm

I voted for T-Rex though it was a close run thing between them and the Sweet. I also love 'Fox on the run' by the Sweet, a track that gets covered loads.

My earliest T.V. memory is of Ballroom Blitz on Top of the Pops. I was watching in my P.J's before I went to bed  and I remember my Mum sent me up before the song finished ! Apparently I also loved Tiger Feet by Mud and would dance around the room to it .
I got to see both  the Sweet and Mud a few years ago now, just before Brian Conolly died. He was very bloated and didn't sing too well but Mud were fantastic.

Thanks for sharing your memories!!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/11/06 at 7:54 pm

Damn, I've been trying to find the "bootleg" version.
Borders bookstore is where I got mine.

Written By: NozmoKing on 02/11/06 at 8:55 pm

Im just glad to see that their are a lot of Sweet fans still out there...  Feb 14th will be the anniversary of the death of Mick Tucker the Sweets drummer.

RIP Mick and Brian

NozmoKing

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/12/06 at 3:40 pm

Borders bookstore is where I got mine.

I'll have to stop by there. Thanks, Love!!!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/12/06 at 3:51 pm

I'll have to stop by there. Thanks, Love!!!!
I had a freind working part time at Borders and she got her employee discount so I got a good deal. It has so many neat extras, Cameron Crowe discusses his favorite albums of 73, and much more. good luck aquiring it.
*staying within topic, I never really considered Mott the Hoople & Sweet (Glam  Rock) but if that's what they were then so be it. I do have the All The Young Dudes LP and the original Sweet album with Love Is Like Oxygen.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/13/06 at 1:45 am

I had a freind working part time at Borders and she got her employee discount so I got a good deal. It has so many neat extras, Cameron Crowe discusses his favorite albums of 73, and much more. good luck aquiring it.
*staying within topic, I never really considered Mott the Hoople & Sweet (Glam  Rock) but if that's what they were then so be it. I do have the All The Young Dudes LP and the original Sweet album with Love Is Like Oxygen.

Thanks!!

yeah, Sweet and MTH is considered glam. I never saw Kiss as glam either. More hard rock, though.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 02/13/06 at 2:09 am

Thanks!!

yeah, Sweet and MTH is considered glam. I never saw Kiss as glam either. More hard rock, though.

whatever we call them, the music is enjoyable  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/13/06 at 12:50 pm

whatever we call them, the music is enjoyable  :)

sure is

Written By: ralfy on 07/18/16 at 9:03 pm

"Ballroom Blitz 40 years on: Why The Sweet hit won't go away as guitarist reveals inspiration"

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/music/music-news/ballroom-blitz-40-years-on-8434761

Subject: Favorite Glam Rock Icon/Band

Written By: Dude111 on 07/08/17 at 3:41 pm

Mott the hoople is my favourite! (I have 2 records)

Written By: #Infinity on 07/08/17 at 4:25 pm

For the most part, the glam rock movement was a really bleak time for music in the UK. Thankfully, only the best songs made it over to the United States.

Of the famous bands, Roxy Music is the best because Bryan Ferry was a quirky, original vocalist and Brian Eno pushed the genres boundaries a little further beyond just more amplified late 50s and early 60s rock & roll.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/17 at 5:08 pm

T. Rex are great. Marc Bolan was an excellent songwriter, guitarist and poet. I saw them live back in 1973, opening for Three Dog Night, of all things. I was there for T. Rex, I never cared for Three Dog Night.  I love Mott The Hoople also, but technically speaking, I''m not sure they can be considered "glam". They  got caught up in the glam category due to their hit with the Bowie-penned "All The Young Dudes" but they never really were glam, per se. I have seen Ian Hunter live many time over the years. He is now 78 years old and still rocking with the best of them!

Check for new replies or respond here...