inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: King Kong 1976

Written By: Banks on 02/05/06 at 12:54 am

Ive been reading a review of King Kong movies on the nett and have noticed that, apart from its 1986 sequel, King Kong (1976) is one of the most hated movies in motion picture history. Most reviewers have nothing nice to say about it, and those that do only like it for its 'campness'. One reviewer even gave the really tacky 'King Kong Escapes' and 'King Kong Vs Godzilla' better reviews than King Kong (1976).

I dont know if it is because the 1976 Dino De Laurentis version of King Kong was the first version I remember seeing, but I find this movie to be a great film. I remember when it was shown on Australian TV for the first time (around late 1977 early 1978) it was split into two parts and made into a mini-series. I also still have most of the bubble-gum movie cards that I got when I was little (from around 1976/77).

OKay, so Kong walks upright, some of the acting is wooden, and some of the special effects are not up to scratch even for 1976 standards, but still when I think of King Kong I dont think of the 1933 stop motion movie, I think of the 1976 movie that grabbed me as a kid.

So, what do you guys think?

Do you like it, or is it just me who thinks it is a classic?

Is the film a dud deserving of all the bad reviews?

How does it compare to the 1933 King Kong in your eyes?

How does it compare to the 2005 King Kong in your eyes?

Id honestly like to know because, for me as a 4, 5, 6 and 7 year old boy, King Kong 1976 was a fantastic film that triggered all those childhood dreams of dinasaurs and giant creatures let loose and of heros, villains and damsels in distress.

I also think, from memory, that this was the first movie I watched from begining to end without losing interest or falling asleep.

So, please, lets hear your views on Dino De Laurentis' King Kong 1976....

AN

Subject: Re: King Kong 1976

Written By: Carl on 02/07/06 at 9:22 am

This film does not in ANY way hold a candle to the original 19933 classic, and the '05, though I have not seen it, is probably way better.

I mean c'mon, Kong climbing the Twin Towers? I wasn't too impressed with this fil.

I can watch the classic one over and over and never get tired of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...