inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fashions of the late 1970s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/16/06 at 3:32 pm

What fashions were there during the Disco era?

The one I really despise is that "Luke Skywalker" haircut.  It's hard to describe, but if you watch "Airplane" you'll see what I mean.  It definitely went into the early '80s, even up to 1984 or 1985.

Subject: Re: Fashions of the late 1970s?

Written By: Tia on 02/16/06 at 3:54 pm

knee-high red pantsuits with huge, huge collars were all the rage.

i miss the huge collars.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/16/06 at 4:37 pm

Let's see, I liked slinky polyester knit, the shiny stuff.  For prom I had a slinky shiny polyester knit floor length dress.  It was seafoam green.  (My date actually found a tux in a coordinating green!    ;D )  It had a deep U-neck and fluttery butterfly cap sleeves, otherwise it was form fitted with princess seams and a flared hem.  At the time I thought it was dreamy.  ::)

Bright colors seemed popular for everyday clothes - fire engine red, royal blue, etc.  Splashy patterns too (I had some favorite slacks that had giant butterflies all over them).  And of course plaid.  Pants were getting away from the bellbottoms and more straight legged.

I loved soft sweaters!  I think velour was fairly new then, I had a maroon/blue/purple striped v-neck velour sweater that I wore to death over a cowl-neck or turtleneck sweater or polyester blouse.  I also had a soft yellow angora blend pullover.  I remember having some pullover v-neck sweater knit vests then.

I think longer skirts were popular by then.  I remember that tartan skirts and kilts were in.

Polo shirts were popular for both men and women.

Wedge shoes came into style then.  Ladies heels were just starting to get away from the platforms by the end of the decade, so there were more of the "oh no too high" high heels around.  There were some heavy molded rubber soles around on everyday shoes (those could actually feel pretty comfy).

Written By: Slater on 02/17/06 at 12:42 pm

Don't forget the ever-popular leisure suit. Those things were everywhere, it seemed. Steve Austin ("The Six Million Dollar Man") didn't leave home without one  ;)

Written By: Tia on 02/17/06 at 1:24 pm

Don't forget the ever-popular leisure suit. Those things were everywhere, it seemed. Steve Austin ("The Six Million Dollar Man") didn't leave home without one  ;)
man, they had it all figured out in the late 70s, man. i remember the steve austin leisure suit. it was at least 40 percent collar.

i'm watching an afterschool special right now (okay, i know! but i'm just running it in the background while i pay bills.)

(well, okay, i WAS paying bills, but i got distracted by this g'mn board again.)

and the drug dealer guy's totally got the saturday night fever gig going, with the vest and the big collar and the fancy white slacks. it's sweet! i'm gonna get some big-collar stuff offa ebay.

Written By: Watcher29 on 02/17/06 at 4:30 pm

Every pimp has still got his purple leisure suit and chains, ya know. With zebra-striped trim, no less.

Written By: Tia on 02/17/06 at 4:30 pm

Every pimp has still got his purple leisure suit and chains, ya know. With zebra-striped trim, no less.
and the fishtank pimpshoes.

Written By: whistledog on 02/17/06 at 9:59 pm

The only fashions I wore in the late 70's were diapers ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...