inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Soul Train/Ebony-Jet Showcase

Written By: gabby1 on 02/24/06 at 7:57 am

;D hello I was wondering if anybody remembers the t.v. show EBONY/JET SHOWCASE? It had Tom Joyner on it hosting and it would show the celebraties showcasing their homes. Do you also remember SOUL TRAIN? Does anybody have any one of these shows taped?

Subject: Re: Soul Train/Ebony-Jet Showcase

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/24/06 at 9:36 am

I remember Soul Train, one performance I remember is when Al Green was on the show...other performance that stands out in my mind is Sly and the Family Stone, with Sly mingling with the show's dancers....

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/24/06 at 3:46 pm

Soul Train was great.  It was a regular part of my Saturday routine in the 70's (it aired right after American Bandstand which I also watched regularly).  I have a K-Tel record from around 73 or so that was entitled "Soul Train - Hits That Made It Happen".  The album is orange and has a picture of Don Cornelius, a train (Soul Train) at the top and a bunch of early 70's Soul artists, including James Brown, Al Green and the O'Jays, on the cover.  (I wish it were in better condition  ::) )

I think there actually might be a recent version of Soul Train still airing, maybe...  :-\\

Ebony/Jet Showcase - I'm almost positive it was a product of the 80's or later.  Tom Joyner was not well known until the 80's...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/24/06 at 3:48 pm

I still watch Soul Train even now, because I like to try and spot the token white girl, asian girl and hispanic girl. 

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/25/06 at 12:17 am

I have a K-Tel record from around 73 or so that was entitled "Soul Train - Hits That Made It Happen".

I misspoke - let me correct myself.  :-[  This record was made by "Adam-VIII", a generally lower quality K-Tel knockoff.  It was indeed as I described, otherwise.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...