inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nighttime soap opera "Dallas", did you watch it?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 02/26/06 at 8:38 am

Did anyone here watch "Dallas"? Who was your favorite character? What was your fave episode?

I thought Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing was brilliant. I loved how devious J.R. was...I got a kick out of watching him.

Subject: Re: Nighttime soap opera "Dallas", did you watch it?

Written By: Tia on 02/26/06 at 9:06 am

i didn't watch it much -- i remember when it was out a lot of us saw it as a nighttime soap and therefore "girly," sorta like disco. as you might have noticed that sort of thing doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

i do remember the whole "who shot j.r." flap, though, that fad was HUGE. it was like the world stopped spinning. i went to a party last weekend and my buddy was wearing a homemade "who shot j.r." t-shirt. so at least you know someone's keeping the faith alive. course, he's even weirder than me, that one.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/26/06 at 9:56 am

I watched Dallas - probably more in the early 80's than the 70's.  I eventuallly got into all the characters.  I remember I had a 'thing' for Bobby (Patrick Duffy).    ::)  Somehow I don't think I was alone in that sentiment!  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/26/06 at 4:35 pm

I used to watch Dallas quite often with my Dad back in the 80's.  When they were showing reruns of Dallas on the former TNN, I watched it then too :)

It's funny watching Dalls now, you see all of these then unknown actors in guest roles who are now big time movie stars like Brian Dennehey and Brad Pitt

Written By: Webstor on 02/26/06 at 5:53 pm

I used to watch Dallas weekly with my mom as a kid......

JR Ewing is one of the best TV characters ever created in my book.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 02/26/06 at 5:54 pm

No ... it ended the year I was born.  ;D

Written By: Paul on 02/27/06 at 4:10 pm

Like most of the world, we went through 'Dallas-mania' in Britain for a while...

Allegedly the streets used to be deserted at 9pm on a Saturday night (when it was shown), due to the amount of people watching it! Not that I did...

i do remember the whole "who shot j.r." flap, though, that fad was HUGE. it was like the world stopped spinning.

When the tapes were flown over for the BBC to show, they had to be placed under armed guard!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 02/27/06 at 6:27 pm

yeah with my mom.

when JR had an affair with some trashy hoochie and her boyfriend invaded Southfolk holding Miss Ellie, Pam, and Sue Ellen hostage with JR.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 02/28/06 at 3:56 am

Yes, I watched it. I'll never forget that amazing opening sequence with the big DALLAS showing up on the screen. And who could not like Patrick Duffy  :-*

Written By: karen on 02/28/06 at 6:48 am

i do remember the whole "who shot j.r." flap, though, that fad was HUGE. it was like the world stopped spinning. .

I remember going into school the next day and someone asking me who I thought had shot JR.  I had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.  I had never ever watched an episode.  I think I watched one or two after that to see what all the fuss was about.

Was Michael Praed in Dallas or Dynasty?  Whichever it was I watched a couple of episodes to see him but gave up because the show was so boring.

Written By: Carl on 03/02/06 at 9:25 am

I watched it time to time, only because I thought Victoria Principal and Charlene Tilton were HOT!!  ::)

Written By: Paul on 03/02/06 at 11:40 am

And who could not like Patrick Duffy  :-*

The scriptwriters...

How on earth can a bloke 'come back from the dead' (for the sake of ratings) like he did...?!!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 03/02/06 at 2:31 pm

The scriptwriters...

How on earth can a bloke 'come back from the dead' (for the sake of ratings) like he did...?!!

Well, it sure was quite a stunt they pulled, him being in the shower and shocking the hell out of Victoria. That's what soap operas are all about - baby!

Except for maybe Newhart, who pulled the stunt of bringing back Suzanne Pleshette (his wife on the Bob Newhart Show in the 70's) on the last episode of Newhart showing them in bed in their old bedroom setting. Talk about good stuff!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/02/06 at 3:26 pm

I remember watching the very first episode the very first time it aired and thinking, "Wow, was a good show." I watched it religiously and thought I was the only one who watched it until the "Who shot J.R." came about and then I realized how popular it was-and the funny thing was, that was when I started losing interest in it and stopped watching it shortly there after.

I remember seeing a show about the whole "Who shot J.R." thing-they showed a gun-two shots fired and then they showed the face-I can't remember how many-Of course Kristen, Bobby, Miss Ellie, and several others were filmed shooting the gun. The last one was hysterical. The person holding the gun was shaking really bad. The two shots were fired and then they showed the face-J.R. And the look on his face was so comical.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: zcrito on 03/02/06 at 6:01 pm

I remember watching the very first episode the very first time it aired and thinking, "Wow, was a good show." I watched it religiously and thought I was the only one who watched it until the "Who shot J.R." came about and then I realized how popular it was-and the funny thing was, that was when I started losing interest in it and stopped watching it shortly there after.

I remember seeing a show about the whole "Who shot J.R." thing-they showed a gun-two shots fired and then they showed the face-I can't remember how many-Of course Kristen, Bobby, Miss Ellie, and several others were filmed shooting the gun. The last one was hysterical. The person holding the gun was shaking really bad. The two shots were fired and then they showed the face-J.R. And the look on his face was so comical.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

You sound like me. I remember watching the first two episodes and also thinking , "Wow, was a good (and different) show."  But then it was by the third week they either saw what people really wanted or it was heading in that direction anyway, but it turned into just a predictable night time soap opera. I never watched it again after the third episode

Check for new replies or respond here...