inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Death Race 2000

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/03/06 at 2:36 am

Gotta love that movie...it was one of Sly Stallone's first movies (although, in many ways not different to the 'big budget' films that would make him famous). It's the sort of movie a 12yo boy would create. I was always fascinated with car-races where death was involved. They also added the cursory nudity scene (so classic of those B-movies) for no reason at all. Funnily enough, my copy was given a 'G' classification, when it was really rated 'R'! Kind of reminded me of this Hanna Barbara cartoon (the name escapes me) they used to show on Cartoon Network. Every week there would be a different race, and the main villain (I forget his name) and his dog Muttley (he always used to s******) would try some cunning ploy to win the race. Ah, the good old Cartoon Network Days.

Subject: Re: Death Race 2000

Written By: Mushroom on 03/03/06 at 2:55 pm

Another one of my favorite movies.  David Carradine was awesome as Frankenstein.  And of course "The Real Don Steele" as the announcer was a great touch also.  He was a DJ in LA at the time, and I used to love listening to his show.

For those of us old enough to remember, the same year a video game rip-off came out, also called "Death Race 2000".  You basically drove wound and ran over people.  Every time you hit somebody, they turned into a little tombstone.  The more you killed, the more points you got.  They were all pulled out because of the "violence", and are big-time collectors items now.  I dropped many a dollar into them back in the day.

Written By: La Sine Pesroh on 03/06/06 at 1:19 am

Gotta love that movie...it was one of Sly Stallone's first movies (although, in many ways not different to the 'big budget' films that would make him famous). It's the sort of movie a 12yo boy would create. I was always fascinated with car-races where death was involved. They also added the cursory nudity scene (so classic of those B-movies) for no reason at all. Funnily enough, my copy was given a 'G' classification, when it was really rated 'R'! Kind of reminded me of this Hanna Barbara cartoon (the name escapes me) they used to show on Cartoon Network. Every week there would be a different race, and the main villain (I forget his name) and his dog Muttley (he always used to s******) would try some cunning ploy to win the race. Ah, the good old Cartoon Network Days.
I never have seen this movie, but I've always had a thing for cheesy B-movies. Is it one of those unintentionally funny "so-bad-that-it's-good" kind of movies, or is it actually pretty cool? And, is it pretty hard to find or is it usually readily available at, say, Blockbuster? I'd lke to check it out some time.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/06/06 at 5:03 am

You should definately check it out, if you can Albert of the North. It stands above the other 'B-movies' because it featured future star Sylvester Stallone, and had an important socio-political message hidden deep within all the tackiness. I think it's worth seeing just for the special effects; the cars, the blood-effects, the backgrounds (painted on backgrounds.lol). And some of the female drivers weren't too bad looking either...

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/06/06 at 5:04 am

It should be available pretty cheaply at DVD stores/ places that stock cult/special interest films. I bought mine from one of those temporary video sale things they have at the shopping centre (bought it for $10). I'd recommend buying, as it will probably be cheap, and it's a movie you'll want to watch again and again. If you can't find it in any store, there's always Amazon.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/06/06 at 5:03 pm

I never have seen this movie, but I've always had a thing for cheesy B-movies. Is it one of those unintentionally funny "so-bad-that-it's-good" kind of movies, or is it actually pretty cool? And, is it pretty hard to find or is it usually readily available at, say, Blockbuster? I'd lke to check it out some time.

It should be easy to find if you look at your local Discount Store.

Down here, we have a chain called "Fred's".  I bought mine there a few months ago for around $5.  I have also seen it at Dollar General, Big Lots, and other stores like that.

Written By: kairi747 on 03/12/06 at 6:49 am

first of all, i like your avitar!  my son was bowser for halloween - what a costume to make!
death race 2000 was one of the first movies my sister and i watched over and over when we first got HBO.  it is just so hysterical - the whole idea of running people over and scoring points.  and getting more points for young people than old.  wasn't there a scene when there are nurses pushing elderly patients in wheel chairs and they are trying to hit the nurses?
and, as far as your cartoon memory, i think it's dick dastardly you're thinking of!

Written By: Watcher29 on 03/13/06 at 10:21 am

and, as far as your cartoon memory, i think it's dick dastardly you're thinking of!

There were two - "Wacky Races" or something like that, later spun off into "Dastardly and Muttley". The snickering dog was in both of them.

Written By: La Roche on 03/13/06 at 10:48 am

LOVE! This movie.

It's been too long since I've watched it. I have the DVD, I feel I ought to watch it later tonight.

Written By: Tia on 03/13/06 at 11:11 am

death race 2000 is supposed to be the first movie-videogame tie in. it was supposedly inspired by a videogame where you drove a car and ran over people and they turned into little crosses. I actually remember playing it! it was also a big scandal because people said it encouraged kids to callously run over innocent people. Seems sorta quaint now people would get worked up about that.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/14/06 at 4:06 am

Death Race spawned many of those ultra-violent racing games. I remember a few, such as Death Formula, Death Bike.etc (they were especially common in the late 80s/early 90s). They were the precursors to later games such as the Carmageddon series (anyone remember that?) in much have inspired the GTA series in some way or another. The sound effects were surprisingly affecting; the screams, while nothing more than a crude approximation of terror, sounded quite chilling to my young ears.

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 03/20/06 at 11:20 am

Yes, the Hanna Barbara cartoon was called "Wacky Races." Most of the character voices were provided by Hanna Barbara regulars Daws Butler, Don Messick, and Paul Winchell.  And the two most popular characters on the show, Dick Dastardly and Muttley, were spun off into their own cartoon series.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/21/06 at 4:44 am

Ah yes, I remember now. I loved Dick's voice...it was so deliberately evil and cliche...Muttley got pretty annoying. I would've liked to see them actually win a race tho (don't know if they did, can't remember).

Check for new replies or respond here...