inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you agree with Homer?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/07/06 at 5:02 am

Homer Simpson said Rock and Roll peaked in 1975...I usually agree with the old H.J.S (after all, who can argue with advice like, well can't think of anything atm, anyway), but on this occasion I would have to disagree. I'd say Rock and Roll peaked when Ziggy Stardust descended as a thin, half-naked alien from outer space...lol

Subject: Re: Do you agree with Homer?

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 6:06 am

Rock n' roll, per se, has had a few up and down periods. One "up" period was from the mid-60s to the early-70s, then the mid-late '70s was a down period, then the early-mid '80s had new wave et. al., the late '80s-mid '90s had alt rock, and the late '90s since have with a few exceptions been a "down period" for music in terms of quality, there's quantity now but the quality isn't very high, IMO.

Written By: zcrito on 03/07/06 at 10:34 pm

Homer Simpson said Rock and Roll peaked in 1975...I usually agree with the old H.J.S (after all, who can argue with advice like, well can't think of anything atm, anyway), but on this occasion I would have to disagree. I'd say Rock and Roll peaked when Ziggy Stardust descended as a thin, half-naked alien from outer space...lol

I thought he said 1974?

'74/'75, either way FM radio probably had the most influence.
:)

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/09/06 at 7:35 am

I think, in many ways the 'Progressive Rock' movement pioneered by such groups as Genesis and Hawkwind was detrimental to the Classic rock collosi in the Cream, Yardbird-era. It sort of was the precusor to New Wave and Hair metal in the late 70s/early 80s.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 03/10/06 at 6:08 am

Oh yeah  :P

About early 60's to between mid to late 70's, then the crap attack set in, which abated slightly in the early to mid 80's, then the ground swallowed music up altogether.

Just like the predicted armageddon, after the above, only (musical) cockroaches remained  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/12/06 at 10:32 am

The cocroaches remained indeed...cos all the butterflies how flown away to 'Planet Indie.'  :)

Written By: cables on 03/12/06 at 10:43 am

I think I'm with you on this one Trimac - my favourite musical period is 1971 to 73. The Who did Who's Next and Quadrophenia - superb stuff - and the Rolling Stones did Sticky Fingers. And, as you rightly say, David Bowie did Ziggy, not forgetting Aladdin Sane.

Written By: zcrito on 03/12/06 at 9:23 pm

Oh yeah  :P

About early 60's to between mid to late 70's, then the crap attack set in, which abated slightly in the early to mid 80's, then the ground swallowed music up altogether.

Just like the predicted armageddon, after the above, only (musical) cockroaches remained  ;D

the crap attack set in ?

The late '70s, '80s and '90s had lots of good stuff. With me, it's always been black and white -- when white artists were turning out awful stuff black artists were doing well and vice versa. The "dry" periods always had something going for me.

Can you give examples or maybe be polite and just name the type of music you're referring too?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/13/06 at 7:32 am

I don't agree at all with your 'black and white' theory, give me one solid example...

Written By: Banks on 03/15/06 at 5:26 am

For me...Classic rock did its final 'Swan Song' (pardon the pun) after 1982, which was the last time Led Zeppelin had a new studio album out (C.O.D.A). Although, in reality, it died when Bonham did. After this, the classic rock period was over for me.

There are other styles of music I absolutely LOVE as well, so I never felt 'lost' or 'disillusioned', but after CODA, the next big thing in rock music to come along was Guns N Roses.

AN

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 9:17 am

ACDC was also a very big influence in reviving classic rock (though, it's peak was pbly late 70s/early 80s with Highway to Hell).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/06 at 11:42 am

I think the first generation of rock peaked about that time-i.e. Stones, The Who, etc. But the second generation was just up and coming-i.e. Queen, Genesis, Styx, etc.

Cat

Written By: Banks on 03/15/06 at 6:39 pm

I never really considered Genesis a rock band. To me, they were more pop(ish). I love their music, but for me they were pop. For me, they were more like an 80's new wave than rock.

AN

Check for new replies or respond here...