inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was the disco era kind of a prequel to the '80s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 2:09 pm

Think about it: synthesizers, drum machines, chest hair, flashiness ... I think the Disco era was the prequel to the '80s, in a way.

Subject: Re: Was the disco era kind of a prequel to the '80s?

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/06 at 2:15 pm

Think about it: synthesizers, drum machines, chest hair, flashiness ... I think the Disco era was the prequel to the '80s, in a way.

no .. the disco scene had it's own style.  When the 80's came, it was a whole new thing

now quit starting so many threads again :P

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 2:16 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/06 at 2:22 pm

Why? So you can?  ;D

whistledog threads + topics = top quality and informative information

Donnie Darko threads + topics = repetitive jargon that nobody understands :P

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 2:23 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: whistledog on 03/07/06 at 2:43 pm

My a$$.  ;D

Are u kiddin?  I could win pulitzer prizes for some of the threads i have started ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/07/06 at 2:43 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: Mushroom on 03/07/06 at 6:08 pm

If anything, the 1980's were a backlash against disco.

That is one reason that "New Wave" is normally dumped into this large pot, even though the songs are quite different from each other.  And it had a lot of different influences.

Punk was one of the early inspirations.  And it spawned both Heavy Metal and New Wave.  And you had some very minimalist songs (Rainforest, 88 Lines About 44 Women, Oh, Yeah), and some which had what seemed like a full orchesta behind it (Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go).

I doubt we ever had, nor will have again a decade which had such a variety in "pop songs".  This was a result of Disco, where all of the songs sounded the same.

Kinda like today, when you think about it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 03/07/06 at 6:18 pm

I think in some ways it was, though not on the surface. It was when America transitioned out of political progressivism and into full-on admitting the causes of their activism of the '60s were ultimately self-centered or based in guilt (for the most part, anyway.) It was when the last scraps of the '60s and '60s mentality died, and confidence in progressivism in politics. It was when folk died, etc. It was when the flashy, go-for-it individual overload with media assistance became the American theme, etc. It was a turning point, the last of the industrial age and the very whispers of the digital age. It was 1977.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 03/07/06 at 7:30 pm

I think as far as the technology used to make some of the songs..yes. Sampling, synthesizers, slick production, all came about when disco became popular, because of people like Giorgio Moroder...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/07/06 at 10:06 pm

No, I don't think it was.  I think the disco era was very much unto itself in the 70s and while some of the underlying instruments of disco made their way into music from the 80s, it was a completely different situation.

Written By: zcrito on 03/07/06 at 10:32 pm

That is one reason that "New Wave" is normally dumped into this large pot, even though the songs are quite different from each other.  And it had a lot of different influences.

Punk was one of the early inspirations.  And it spawned both Heavy Metal and New Wave.  And you had some very minimalist songs (Rainforest, 88 Lines About 44 Women, Oh, Yeah), and some which had what seemed like a full orchesta behind it (Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go).

I doubt we ever had, nor will have again a decade which had such a variety in "pop songs".  This was a result of Disco, where all of the songs sounded the same.

Kinda like today, when you think about it.

No, Country music was probably the backlash against '70s. disco.

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/06 at 2:23 am

;D

of course your threads + topics are nominees for the Golden Raspberry Awards ;D :P

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/08/06 at 2:45 am

The way it was marketed - yeah, in its own way (i.e. one hit wonders, excess, flashiness, early synthesizers, the beginning of so-called "disposable" music), but no for in general.

Even though the '70s lasted awhile (starting around 1971 with the end of the "hippie" 60s, and they weren't completly gone until early 1983ish) the absolute peak '70s were actually pretty short. The Disco era was huge from 1976-78. This period is the only that seems not really '60s noe '80s to me, if you know what I mean. 1979 even felt like beginner '80s.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 03/08/06 at 2:51 am

^I kind of think the '70s were even less identifiable than the '90s and '00s.  With an '80s song, for instance, I can almost immediately tell if a song's been made in the 1979-1991 period because of the drum machines, whereas with a '70s song it either sounds '60s, '70s, '80s, or general oldies. 

The 1976-'78 period is the only part of the 1970s that is especially "Seventies", and even that has some '60s holdovers.  The '90s had the 1992-1996 period unto themselves, and 2002-2006+ is a lot longer than the Disco era, even though it still has a late '90s vibe.

BUT, Disco was freaking huge, so it almost compensates for the entire 1970s decade's general diversity.

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/08/06 at 3:00 am

^ True. Some '70s songs are actually pretty modern, like they could come out today, while some others sound almost like '50s songs! I think especially stuff around 1973-76 is like this. Kind of just before Disco got big.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/07/06 at 8:29 pm

Schlock

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/07/06 at 9:02 pm

I think that in a way disco and punk were the foundations of the music of 1982+. On one hand, disco was the foundation for dance-pop and hip-hop/rap, and punk was the foundation for new wave, post-punk, and ultimately alternative and indie rock. So yes, in alot of ways (that, and the general flashiness, conspicuous consumption, and synthesizers and final death of '60s consciousness), the late '70s were a prequel to the '80s and therefore to the current era in general. Also, they're the first era that seems "late twentieth century" in totality.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 5:32 am

You think so?? Omg Donnie, but I have to hand it to you, this is one....I can't even find the words to describe it. Not putting your threads down (enough have done that), some are actually pretty good, but not this one...

It's like saying, were the Blues a Prequel to Rock...or does 5 precede 6, or does an egg precede a chicken...

Get it?

;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/08/06 at 2:38 pm

You think so?? Omg Donnie, but I have to hand it to you, this is one....I can't even find the words to describe it. Not putting your threads down (enough have done that), some are actually pretty good, but not this one...

It's like saying, were the Blues a Prequel to Rock...or does 5 precede 6, or does an egg precede a chicken...

Get it?

;D

I think that the reason most people don't think of the 1976-mid 1979 period as a prequel to the '80s (and therefore, to the whole era we're in, which began in the '80s: the yuppie era), is because the early '80s had such a huge backlash to everything '70s. Of course, disco and punk were among the few things about that period that make me think '80s; the earlier '70s leftovers like jazz-rock, stadium rock (inc. glam rock, early heavy metal, prog rock), singer-songwriters, cheesy folkpop, Philly soul, funk, are almost more '60s evolutions. Punk and disco were the first two '70s things closer to the '80s than the '60s, musically.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 5:28 am

I think that the reason most people don't think of the 1976-mid 1979 period as a prequel to the '80s (and therefore, to the whole era we're in, which began in the '80s: the yuppie era), is because the early '80s had such a huge backlash to everything '70s. Of course, disco and punk were among the few things about that period that make me think '80s; the earlier '70s leftovers like jazz-rock, stadium rock (inc. glam rock, early heavy metal, prog rock), singer-songwriters, cheesy folkpop, Philly soul, funk, are almost more '60s evolutions. Punk and disco were the first two '70s things closer to the '80s than the '60s, musically.

The seeds of New Wave were in two vastly differing genres; Punk and Disco. The synthesis of these two genre was a remarkeable thing, and appertains largely to a very volatile period in music history, like a 'second 60s.' The period 1976-1982 was undoubtedly a very 'rich' period in musical development. Other creatively volatile periods were 1993-1996, 1997-1998, and to a lesser extent 2002 (in the semi-mainstream scene).

Written By: velvetoneo on 05/09/06 at 5:58 am

The seeds of New Wave were in two vastly differing genres; Punk and Disco. The synthesis of these two genre was a remarkeable thing, and appertains largely to a very volatile period in music history, like a 'second 60s.' The period 1976-1982 was undoubtedly a very 'rich' period in musical development. Other creatively volatile periods were 1993-1996, 1997-1998, and to a lesser extent 2002 (in the semi-mainstream scene).

Yeah, 1976-1982, in an extended sense to 1984, with its jazz-rock, disco, punk, new wave, post-punk, early noise rock/college rock, hardcore punk, grunge even, was a very fertile musical period. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 6:03 am

Yeah, 1976-1982, in an extended sense to 1984, with its jazz-rock, disco, punk, new wave, post-punk, early noise rock/college rock, hardcore punk, grunge even, was a very fertile musical period. 

Oddly enough, a fertile breeding ground that gave rise to many artists still popular today. While the New Wave movement is still quite influential, and the British New Romantics gave rise to the British 'New Progressive' Cure-esque sound, groups like U2, Flaming Lips, R.E.M., INXS (though with a new singer) that formed out of that period are still churning out good ol' stadium rock.

Check for new replies or respond here...