inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: George Harrison's Concert For Bangladesh

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/09/06 at 6:48 pm

I recently got the DVD from this concert.  It's been said that it was the first significant all benefit concert of the Rock era.

The concert is filled with rock luminaries.  I think it's great!  :D

Anybody see this concert on DVD/Video?  Any comments?

Subject: Re: George Harrison's Concert For Bangladesh

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/10/06 at 3:14 am

I recently got the DVD from this concert.  It's been said that it was the first significant all benefit concert of the Rock era.

The concert is filled with rock luminaries.  I think it's great!   :D

Anybody see this concert on DVD/Video?  Any comments?

I am envious as this one is high on my wish list because Badfinger is there performing with George.  It was the first real concert of that type and magnitude and kickstarted all the future aid concerts. I want the CD also. This show is packed with rock stars. ENJOY  :)
If you don't already have the Concert For George, I highly recommend it. I do have that one and the tribute of all his friends and family performing his songs is really special. Both good to have.

Written By: jaytee on 03/10/06 at 6:56 am

I saw it at the movies in the 70s - I thought it was amazing. 

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/12/06 at 11:06 am

...this one is high on my wish list because Badfinger is there performing with George...

Not to put a damper on things, but, Badfinger's appearance looks almost like an afterthought in the film.  Sadly, alongside the others, they really didn't get much screen time.  :(  Although it is nice to see Pete Ham share the guitar spotlight with George during "Here Comes The Sun".  :)

Nonetheless, the film is excellent, and I really like the extras, too!  :D

If anybody likes Bob Dylan, he performs four songs, plus another one in the "extras" - very cool!  Eric Clapton sounded great on guitar (he does appear slightly "altered", if you know what I mean).  Billy Preston's solo "That's The Way God Planned It" was inspired, a true highlight.  Ringo Starr performed on his classic "It Don't Come Easy".  Leon Russell also performed a couple of classic covers in fine fashion.  And of course, George was absolutely magnificent.

On watching the extras, it became apparent how much over-the-top effort George had to expend to pull this off.  Major kudos to the late, great George Harrison!  8)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/30/06 at 3:27 pm

Speaking of Badfinger, anyone notice how Mike Gibbins didn't play drums at all, but was relegated to playing tambourine?  On the surface, he appeared content with that.  With Starr and Jim Keltner, there was plenty of drumming for the show.  ;D  And Gibbins did an admirable job on that tambourine.  ;)

The other three guys in Badfinger played acoustic guitar throughout.

Just observations.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/30/06 at 4:45 pm

I have the album....vinyl... :)

Written By: hot_wax on 07/31/06 at 10:14 pm

I seldom visit the 1970 site but this post caught my attention because I was there August 1, 1971. There was two George Harrison's concerts for "The Concert for Bangladesh" that day at Madison Square Garden. I was at at the second show in the nose bleed seats and greatful for then because we almost didn't get them at all. Most of album was cut from the second concert too. I have the album since day one, but I didn't know all these years that there is a video or dvd on it, now I have to get too. Thanks!

The tickets only cost $12.00 alot for those days and a concert like that today with all those Stars would go for $1000.00. each. It was all a terrific show that George Harrison put together, and in, I think, a week's time as I remember it, he got all those Super Stars to donate their time and talent for him and it was rumored that John  and Paul were going to re-unite the Beatles at the second concert also, but both weren't talking to each other then after the break up and were no-shows, although it was going around Garden that John was in the audience...I don't know if he was or not but it was exciting to think he was.

The show was unbelievable really it took a couple of days to digest what I whitnessed, all those Super Stars on one stage at one time playing together as if they did this all the time together...Harrison Dylan Clapton Russell and everyone else all on stage together!! for almost three hours I was in awe with the whole experience, it took a few day to sink in my mind that it really happened, I have to get that DVD now, thanks again! 

PS...listen for me on the album, you can't miss me! I'm yelling!  ::)     

Hot Wax

Written By: hot_wax on 09/06/06 at 12:30 am

I was watching TV the other night, 8/31/06, and caught the end of a news item on the MSG  network ( Madison Square Garden network) and it was showing clips of "George Harrison's Concert For Bangladesh" and the spokesman for the Garden announced that on the 35th year anniversary of the concert, George Harrison and Ravi Shankar will be inducted into the Madison Square Garden's Hall of Fame for arranging a  benefit concert of such magnitude, a phenomenal feat un-equaled in the Gardens history.

I was hoping that they would repeat it again later on at night to see the whole report, but they didn't. Did anyone else see it? I'm guessing that those few clips of the concert was from the video, I have to get that video.

HW

Check for new replies or respond here...