inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABBA or the Carpenters?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/13/06 at 7:34 am

There's not much seperating them, but music-wise, which do you prefer? ABBA write all their songs, while only Richard Carpenter wrote SOME of their songs (and few of their best ones). Personally I can't decide, must admit I like both (whoever says they don't are just pretending), though the Carpenters could get a little on the saccharine side.

Subject: Re: ABBA or the Carpenters?

Written By: cs on 03/13/06 at 7:38 am

The Carpenters.

Written By: robby76 on 03/13/06 at 8:45 am

Carpenters all the way. ABBA have become more of a party compilation album type act, whereas Carpenters have kept some credibility. I do like both though, I just feel the public have spoilt the magic of ABBA.

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/06 at 8:48 am

The Carpenters.  Loved their version of 'Beechwood'

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/13/06 at 9:01 am

Carpenters all the way. ABBA have become more of a party compilation album type act, whereas Carpenters have kept some credibility. I do like both though, I just feel the public have spoilt the magic of ABBA.

So you saying ABBA has been denigrated to nothing more than a 'party compilation type act?'  >:( >:(. Well, you're lucky you're protected by a computer screen and thousand miles of ocean, or I else I'd personally...

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/13/06 at 9:04 am

Madonna sampled (ripped) the start of 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!' If that isn't confirmation of the band's credibility (save all those millions of cover bands and impersonator), than what is?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 03/13/06 at 11:17 am

I love both, but The Carpenters get my vote!  :)

Written By: Tia on 03/13/06 at 11:19 am

dude.

ABBA, y'all.

ABBA.

what the heck? this is really upsetting.

Written By: Miss Nostalgia on 03/13/06 at 11:33 am

Carpenters

Written By: gmann on 03/13/06 at 12:12 pm

I find something to like in the music of both the Carpenters and ABBA...though I'll have to give the edge to our Scandinavian friends. It depends on my mood; if I'm feeling wistful and introspective, it's gotta be the Carpenters. "Yesterday Once More" is probably my favorite. ABBA is for my uppity days.

Written By: robby76 on 03/13/06 at 7:29 pm

Madonna sampled (ripped) the start of 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!' If that isn't confirmation of the band's credibility (save all those millions of cover bands and impersonator), than what is?

Madonna also sang a duet with Britney. Madonna has also sampled The Jacksons' "Can You Feel It" for her second single which is basically a cheap way to make your song instantly catchy and likeable.

Anyway, I'm not arguing as I like ABBA and there's no doubt to their songwriting skills, I just feel Carpenters are better.

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/06 at 7:46 pm

So you saying ABBA has been denigrated to nothing more than a 'party compilation type act?'  >:( >:(. Well, you're lucky you're protected by a computer screen and thousand miles of ocean, or I else I'd personally...

Can we assume you are only joking ???

Written By: Tanya1976 on 03/13/06 at 8:14 pm

Considering that I only seriously like maybe three of ABBA's songs, I'll say Carpenters b/c I like them more.

Written By: Tia on 03/13/06 at 9:20 pm

wow. i haven't been this upset at an inthe00s poll since battlestar galactica beat space: 1999.

abba, dude. abba. :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/06 at 9:47 pm

wow. i haven't been this upset at an inthe00s poll since battlestar galactica beat space: 1999.

abba, dude. abba. :\'(

Did you know that abba spelled backwards is abba? ;D

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 03/13/06 at 11:20 pm

I voted ABBA because... well, geez, it's ABBA. Enough said.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/13/06 at 11:30 pm

ABBA had to give permission for her to use it.  She had to write a letter to the band asking permission to use the small sample that she did use, so I don't know if "ripped" is the right terminology to use.  That makes it sound like she stole it without permission. 

That said, I have to go with ABBA over the Carpenters.  I like some of the Carpenters songs, but listening to them too much puts me in a dreary mood.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/14/06 at 4:49 am

I didn't imply that Madonna stole it without asking permission (which would be a thoroughly stupid thing to say), just that Madonna has a tendancy to 'over-borrow.' Lol, no this threads not about Madonna. It's about ABBA and the Carpenters.

Written By: lorac614 on 03/14/06 at 9:11 am

ABBA!!

It's not that I don't like The Carpenters, but I find their music depressing. 

Written By: TheRemf on 03/14/06 at 3:19 pm

ABBA - for myself, I don't even think it's very close.

Written By: Tia on 03/14/06 at 4:30 pm

everyone who votes for abba gets karma. i will shamelessly karma all abba voters.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 03/14/06 at 4:40 pm

I didn't imply that Madonna stole it without asking permission (which would be a thoroughly stupid thing to say), just that Madonna has a tendancy to 'over-borrow.'

That I agree with.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/06 at 4:46 pm

ABBA

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 03/15/06 at 5:44 am

Both

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/15/06 at 8:55 pm

Which group is more commercial successful?

I know ABBA was far more popular in Europe, the UK and (Especially) here in Australia. ABBA's Australian tour rivalled the Beatles (can you believe that), while the Carpenter's never generated throngs of screaming girls (and boys), but I suspect may have sold the more records. Both, I think, were somewhat cheapened by the endless compilations. But then again, it did expose their music to a wider and wider audience.

Written By: whistledog on 03/15/06 at 10:21 pm

Which group is more commercial successful?

I know ABBA was far more popular in Europe, the UK and (Especially) here in Australia. ABBA's Australian tour rivalled the Beatles (can you believe that), while the Carpenter's never generated throngs of screaming girls (and boys), but I suspect may have sold the more records. Both, I think, were somewhat cheapened by the endless compilations. But then again, it did expose their music to a wider and wider audience.

The Carpenters were popular enough to beat the Beatles out for a Grammy one year. 

In America ...
The Carpenters had 28 hits (20 of which went top 40) from 1970-1982
ABBA had 21 hits (14 of which went top 40) from 1974-1982

In the UK ...
The Carpenters had 20 hits (17 of which went top 40) from 1970-1983 (not included, they had 2 re-issues in the 90's)
ABBA had 25 hits (all of them were top 40) from 1974-1983 (not included, they had 1 re-issue in the 90's)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/06 at 1:45 am

The Carpenters never won the Eurovision Song Contest.

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/06 at 1:46 am

The Carpenters never won the Eurovision Song Contest.

were they ever contenders?

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/16/06 at 3:06 am

Never realised it was that close...very different groups, but both working on the same principle. Timeless pop music...they were a cut above the 70s...

As for the Carpenters and the Beatles, I think the end of the Beatles' career coincided with the beginning of the Carpenters (about 69-70), so they would never have really competed (not that they really made the same sort of music).

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/06 at 11:55 am

[quote author=whis

Written By: 1993 on 03/16/06 at 1:40 pm

ABBA, no contest. I can't believe it's close!?!?

Written By: Tia on 03/16/06 at 4:51 pm

ABBA, no contest. I can't believe it's close!?!?
*clapclap*

when i become dictator all evidence of the carpenters' existence will be systematically eradicated through the memory hole. nothing personal against the carpenters, it's just that this thread has revealed they pose a threat to ABBA, and that can't happen.

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/17/06 at 9:22 pm

Given the stats, its strange ABBA and the Carpenter's weren't seen as direct competitors. I don't think their respective audiences would be all that different. I dunno, what would be an ABBA/Carpenters fan say about a person in the 70s? (probably not much, since everybody was a fan).

Written By: lizjagger on 04/05/06 at 12:50 am

I really only like one Carpenters song and that's 'We've only just begun'...besides that, I've never really like the carpenters.
I grew up listening to ABBA, and they're one of my favourites.

Written By: Carl on 04/05/06 at 11:45 am

I like The Carpenter's songs, I admit it, but I like ABBA too, I also have to confess.

Sorry, I can't choose  :-\\

Written By: hot_wax on 04/06/06 at 9:41 pm

I wasn't a real big fan the group, but I think Karen Carpenter had one of the most beautiful female voice's I've ever heard, she could have held a solo career all this time and would be a giant amongst her peers today. I really felt bad when she passed away, she was unique.

Abba is Abba...Momma Mia they are from two different eras of the 70's, two different styles both good in what they did in their time if you liked their different styles of music...I like Abba's music better, but Karen Carpenter's voice the best. 

Hot Wax 

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 12:58 am

Karen Carpenter's voice was really was something. I guess it really marked the end of an era..

Written By: CeeKay on 04/10/06 at 5:39 pm

Karen Carpenter's voice was really was something. I guess it really marked the end of an era..

I have to agree.  She had a lovely voice.  And the Carpenters were part of my youth....I don't know where the heck I was when Abba was popular.

Written By: KKay on 04/10/06 at 10:00 pm

No one is better than karen carpenter....and playing drums at the same time!

BUT

Puh-leeze.  singing in english when you don't speak it and wearing those hot outfits? who DOESNT' want to be in abba?
and if you dont, then  you dont like FUN!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/11/06 at 5:05 am

No one is better than karen carpenter....and playing drums at the same time!

BUT

Puh-leeze.  singing in english when you don't speak it and wearing those hot outfits? who DOESNT' want to be in abba?
and if you dont, then  you dont like FUN!

The Carpenters and ABBA perfectly complement each other. One for those blue, rainy Mondays...and the other for a totally happening 70s themed party!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/24/06 at 5:12 am

It can be said that the legacy of both have been 'novelized' by way of the countless 'Greatest Hits, Gold, Best Ever' compilations. You ever wonder how you rarely see actual Carpenters/Albums albums in record stores these days apart from Greatest hits compilation?

Written By: CeeKay on 05/03/06 at 9:42 am

Weren't they each at the height of popularity at different times though?  I think we sang "We've Only Just Begun" at my Jr. High graduation which was in the spring of 1974.  I'm pretty sure I became aware of ABBA in the late 70s, mostly because my sister listened to them.  If I let "Fernando" play in my head, it takes me to a very different time and place than "Rainy Days and Mondays."  So it would make sense that the fan base would be a bit different by maybe half a generation.  Am I right about this?  My memory for dates is awful but my music/time-of-life associations are usually pretty keen.

Written By: KKay on 05/03/06 at 9:49 am

Weren't they each at the height of popularity at different times though?  I think we sang "We've Only Just Begun" at my Jr. High graduation which was in the spring of 1974.  I'm pretty sure I became aware of ABBA in the late 70s, mostly because my sister listened to them.  If I let "Fernando" play in my head, it takes me to a very different time and place than "Rainy Days and Mondays."  So it would make sense that the fan base would be a bit different by maybe half a generation.  Am I right about this?  My memory for dates is awful but my music/time-of-life associations are usually pretty keen.

I was in my room pretending I was in Abba in 8th grade...
I just think you were in college by then and Abba was not in the stack of LPs on the turntable wedged between The Greatful Dead and Pure Prarie League.
:)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 9:54 am

Yeah, I don't know the specifics about each groups fanbase, but when I watched the ABBA in Australia video in 76' there were throngs of teenage boys and girls - it was like the second coming of Beatlemania! Whereas I have a feeling Carpenter's fans included alot of oldies, because they were considered a bit more 'uncool,' middle of the road. Carpenters' fans are firmly boomers, while a large contingent of Xers are ABBA fans.

Written By: CeeKay on 05/03/06 at 11:23 am

I was in my room pretending I was in Abba in 8th grade...
I just think you were in college by then and Abba was not in the stack of LPs on the turntable wedged between The Greatful Dead and Pure Prarie League.
:)

;D ;D  Yeah.  And that's my point.  It's not really a competition -- they were different times.  And that explains why I have little memory of ABBA -- 1979 was one of my better years  :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/06 at 4:05 pm

I love ABBA (especially that blond one  ;)).

Written By: retrolady on 05/05/06 at 10:34 am

Abba were the first group that I liked and the first record i got was Waterloo when i was 5.  I'm still a fan 32 years later.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 11:48 am

Yes, the appeal of ABBA transcends fashion, or age...

Written By: northerngirl on 05/10/06 at 8:37 am

I am once again with my Husband "TheRemf" on this 1, it is "ABBA"

Check for new replies or respond here...