inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 30 years ago today

Written By: karen on 03/30/06 at 4:52 am

Today marks the 30th anniversary of The Sex Pistols gig in the 100 Club in Oxford Street, London.  Over the next few days BBC 6 Music will have several programmes dedicated to the punk phenomenom.

Read more here

Subject: Re: 30 years ago today

Written By: Paul on 03/30/06 at 5:57 am

Just a few minutes walk from where I'm sitting right now, the 100 Club...

I can't quite remember whether this is the performance that everyone (of a certain age!) claims to have attended...I think it is...

But if they're all correct, then the amount of people supposedly at the 100 Club that night would have filled several football stadiums!

Written By: maddog on 03/30/06 at 7:18 am

I believe you're right Paul, up here in Manchester the sort-of equivalent Sex Pistols gig was at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in June 1976. Apparently only about 40 people were there but if you add up all the people who claim to have been there on TV programs of the "I remember spacehoppers and Spangles" variety, it comes to about 10 times that number  ::).

I was not at the 100 Club in March 1976, being only 13 at the time and living in a seaside town in Lancashire.

Written By: karen on 03/30/06 at 7:24 am

Just a few minutes walk from where I'm sitting right now, the 100 Club...

I can't quite remember whether this is the performance that everyone (of a certain age!) claims to have attended...I think it is...

But if they're all correct, then the amount of people supposedly at the 100 Club that night would have filled several football stadiums!

There was another one in September that people also talk about.  It's mentioned somewhere in that link I posted.  That's the one where Sid Vicious threw glasses into the crowd and several people were injured.

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/06 at 10:53 am

The Sex Pistols have always been a kind of secret vice of mine.  I often listened to their stuff, and still do.

A perfect example of them was at the Rock And ROll Hall Of Fame awards this month.  Johnny Rotten sent a letter to them which they read on the air.  I was almost falling on the floor I was laughing so hard.
If anybody missed it, here it is:

"Next to the SEX PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain. Your museum. Urine in wine. Were not your monkey and so what? Fame at $25,000 if we paid for a table or $15,000 to squeak up in the gallery, goes to a non-profit organization selling us a load of old famous. Congradulations. If you voted for us, I hope you noted your reasons. Your anonymous as judges. but your still music industry people. Were not coming. Your not paying attention. Outside the sheesh-stem is a real SEX PISTOL."

Written By: Trimac20 on 03/31/06 at 2:09 am

I'm no tea-sipping granny, but the Sex Pistols music (and there incessant pushing of their 'bad-boy' image) give me a head-ache, and there songs barely have a hint of a tune. Sid Vicious also has been given too much publicity...I mean, the guy played on NOT ONE recording...probably cos' he couldn't play bass.

Written By: deadrockstar on 03/31/06 at 4:12 am

Yo quiero ser Anarchiaaaaaa

Written By: Paul on 03/31/06 at 6:29 am

I was not at the 100 Club in March 1976, being only 13 at the time and living in a seaside town in Lancashire.

I wasn't at the 100 Club either...I wouldn't even have known where it was!

My first exposure to the lads was on that legendary 'Today' broadcast later in the year, with Bill Grundy...

(Originally, Queen were meant to appear, but couldn't make it...so EMI sent their 'new' signing along!)

And although that was only a regional London programme, their 'performance' (as it was!) made national headlines the following day...

I think 'The Filth And The Fury' was splashed all over the Daily Mirror...

Written By: happygirl on 04/01/06 at 6:12 am

I LOVED the Pistols.
The Filth and the Fury was a great dvd too!  I also loved the RNR Hall of Fame letter, how amazingly cool for a bunch of geezers to still have the ability to slip into thier old persona...pretty nifty.

Written By: PRobinson on 04/04/06 at 12:07 am

Well, if I had seen this (and posted this reply) on April 1st instead of April 3rd I could say that "30 years ago today I just had my 26th birthday".  But that was a long time ago...I think you can all do the math...lol...

pr

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/04/06 at 2:19 am

Today marks the 30th anniversary of The Sex Pistols gig in the 100 Club in Oxford Street, London...

...and harkened the end of the TV career of Bill Grundy.

Subject: Re: 29 years ago today

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/06 at 1:50 pm

It was thirty years ago today (16th August) that Elvis "The King" Presley died.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/16/06 at 2:31 pm

It was thirty years ago today (16th August) that Elvis "The King" Presley died.

He died in 1977 so wouldn't that make it 29 years?

Cat

Written By: Paul on 08/16/06 at 2:32 pm

Methinks a new abacus for Christmas, Mr. Philip... ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/06 at 2:34 pm

Methinks a new abacus for Christmas, Mr. Philip... ;)
I was getting in early before the rush begins!

Written By: Paul on 08/16/06 at 2:37 pm

I was getting in early before the rush begins!

Very wise...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/16/06 at 3:04 pm

Such a sad way to die.  Sitting on the toilet taking a crap.  But if that ain't rock and roll, I don't know what is.  RIP to the King.  :(

Written By: ralfy on 06/24/16 at 6:17 am

"'Transformers: The Movie' To Get 30th Anniversary BluRay Release"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/06/11/transformers-the-movie-to-get-30th-anniversary-bluray-release/

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/16 at 6:42 am

"'Transformers: The Movie' To Get 30th Anniversary BluRay Release"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2016/06/11/transformers-the-movie-to-get-30th-anniversary-bluray-release/

The link just gives the 'quote of the day'.

Written By: ralfy on 06/25/16 at 9:39 pm

Here's another article:

"Transformers – The Movie Getting 30th Anniversary Home Video Release"

http://screenrant.com/transformers-the-movie-30th-anniversary-release/

Check for new replies or respond here...