inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Typical '70s day

Written By: Donnie Darko on 04/06/06 at 2:21 pm

What would you do on a typical day in the 1970s?

Subject: Re: A Typical '70s day

Written By: Carl on 04/06/06 at 3:48 pm

Just a day with no worries really: no bills, no job, just fun, fun, fun as a kid!!

Written By: whiteport on 04/06/06 at 5:03 pm

http://www.weedworld.ca/Pictures/images/smoking_leaf_pot_chronic_we_jpg.jpg

Although I don't do it anymore, and hope my kids never do, back in the 70s my friends and I did it alot :-\\

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/07/06 at 6:06 am

What My Mom Did in the '70s:

-Went to high school.
-Did her hair.
-Went to the mall with girlfriends on weekends.
-Didn't do drugs, unlike everybody else in her class.
-Edited the yearbook.
-Watched TV.
-Did art and took art classes.
-Went to college and boogied.

It wasn't all that different, except minus tech.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 04/07/06 at 6:11 am

Not too dissimilar to now. Only less technologically advanced.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/07/06 at 8:03 am

If I were living in the 70s...

I'd probably spend most of the day checking out the groovy 70s architecture; ie. shopping malls, art deco buildings. then I'd go to a Led Zeppelin concert at Madison Square Garden or the Royal Albert Hall, followed by an all night dance marathon at CBGB's, dancing on stage drunkenly to New Wave music.

Written By: 80s gail on 04/07/06 at 12:56 pm

Simple,really and loads of fun if no school(not fun!) just play out with my friends all day and only go home for meals and at bedtime, it was safer to wander then, I wouldn't let any kids of mine do that now!

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/06 at 1:05 pm

In the 70's, I wore my diapers while I lay in my crib.  I ate, drank, then napped some more.  The odd time (i guess) my mom would take me out in my stroller ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/06 at 1:10 pm

What would you do on a typical day in the 1970s?
Which part of the 70s, the first half was spent at school and the latter was in employment.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/07/06 at 2:27 pm

Watched t.v
Went to school.
Watched t.v.
Took dance classes.
Watched t.v.
Played with my friends.
Watched t.v.
Listen to music.

Oh, did I mention that I watched t.v.?

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/06 at 2:29 pm

Watched t.v
Went to school.
Watched t.v.
Took dance classes.
Watched t.v.
Played with my friends.
Watched t.v.
Listen to music.

Oh, did I mention that I watched t.v.?

Cat
I watched TV too!

Written By: loki 13 on 04/07/06 at 5:14 pm

How about a typical summer day. Played baseball in the morning 'til around 1 o'clock.
The I'd go a pick up a barrell of Yum-Yum, cherry/lemon flavored, and walk around town
selling it, 10 cents for a single scoop and quater for a double scoop.Then at night it was
a game of Jail Break, Kick The Can, or Break the Gate. Of course this was the early 70's
in the later 70's we would con someone to buy us beer and we would sit on the hill and
get blitzed.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/07/06 at 9:36 pm

Lay back on a lawn chair in the back yard listening to 45s on my little portable record player. Go to the pizzaria with my girlfriends.  sneak cigarettes in the woods.  Disco lessons.  Movies.  Frisbee.  Oh....and lots of tv.  Listen to a.m. radio and call in to win prizes.

Written By: KKay on 04/10/06 at 12:43 pm

Get up and jump in the pool (summer version). lay on a towel listeining to AM radio.  Read MAD magazine...or Highlights, depending on the year.  Play with dogs and cats, ride bikes to Main Street with my friends, go to the dirtbike track and throw ricks at the kids on bikes.
Watch tv on the rug with a popsicle in a bowl...Beat The Clock or Gilligan's Island.
go hang out in my room and listen to the older kids hang out on the corner, listening to the clock radio play Love Rollercoaster and Heart of Gold.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/14/06 at 8:59 am

go hang out in my room and listen to the older kids hang out on the corner, listening to the clock radio play Love Rollercoaster and Heart of Gold.

Oh -- I'm right there!  A summer night.  Mom always put us to bed early.  And it was HOT.  Laying on my back in bed waiting for the littlest breeze to come by and cool me off.  Unable to sleep at 8:30 p.m., I'd listen to the kids on the corner playing basketball and just being rowdy.  I remember the clock radio!  The little black and white tv!  Pink baby doll pajamas.  Hanging out in the screen house at the end of a summer bbq (mosquitos and lightening bugs)  The sound of horseshoes clinking.  Marco Polo in the pool in the back yard.....

Written By: KKay on 04/14/06 at 9:37 am

Oh -- I'm right there!  A summer night.  Mom always put us to bed early.  And it was HOT.  Laying on my back in bed waiting for the littlest breeze to come by and cool me off.  Unable to sleep at 8:30 p.m., I'd listen to the kids on the corner playing basketball and just being rowdy.  I remember the clock radio!  The little black and white tv!  Pink baby doll pajamas.  Hanging out in the screen house at the end of a summer bbq (mosquitos and lightening bugs)  The sound of horseshoes clinking.  Marco Polo in the pool in the back yard.....

OMG...the snapping turtle! remember that!?  and watching that eclipse on the little b&w tv..
and trying to sit on wax paper going down the slide. 

If any of you need to relive the 70s you should do it with us!

Written By: CeeKay on 04/14/06 at 10:03 am

If any of you need to relive the 70s you should do it with us!

We're the best at preserving childhood.  Our father taught us.

Now where were we?  Those striped plastic bowls we at our cereal in.  Ordering stuff from cereal boxes.  Heck, digging for the prizes that came in cereal boxes.  Roller skating on the newly paved driveway.  Playing on the smelly old barges in the Kill Van Kull (did you do that K?).  Bottle digging.  (okay, some of these things are not 70s culture and mean nothing to anyone but us, sorry).  Bikes with banana seats and baskets.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/14/06 at 10:44 am

We're the best at preserving childhood.  Our father taught us.

Now where were we?  Those striped plastic bowls we at our cereal in.  Ordering stuff from cereal boxes.  Heck, digging for the prizes that came in cereal boxes.  Roller skating on the newly paved driveway.  Playing on the smelly old barges in the Kill Van Kull (did you do that K?).  Bottle digging.  (okay, some of these things are not 70s culture and mean nothing to anyone but us, sorry).  Bikes with banana seats and baskets.

Are you from Staten Island or say Bayonne?

Written By: CeeKay on 04/14/06 at 10:46 am

Are you from Staten Island or say Bayonne?

Ah--recognized the KVK did you?  S.I.

Written By: lizjagger on 04/15/06 at 11:11 pm

I'd rather describe the entire yr

spring-write poetry upstairs at night with only the lamp on and while listening to Jim Croce.Obsessing over stars like Leif Garret and trying to get tickets to their concerts

summer- watching The Partridge Family, going to roller rinks, the park, ice cream, evenings spent rollerblading or hanging out in the neigborhood and playing loudly and listening to "Moonlight, feels right" by Starbuck, hanging with a group of friends outside some local places, taking road trips, driving through Arizona,Montana, Indiana while playing "Blackwater" by the Doobie Brothers, going to a disco

Fall- taking pictures, playing in wheat fields, taking pictures in wheat fields

winter- hanging out with the family at the farm, listening to AM radio , and driving through the snow while listening to "Wichita Lineman" by Glen Campbell or any song "Sundown" , "If you could read my mind", "beautiful" Gordon Lightfoot

Check for new replies or respond here...