inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Silly question

Written By: Class of 84 on 04/06/06 at 4:44 pm

In the 70's, did radio stations advertise "hits from the 50's, 60's and today!"

Subject: Re: Silly question

Written By: MidTennHitman on 04/06/06 at 4:49 pm

I remember in the mid 70s listening to a local "oldies" format station that played all 50s and early 60s stuff.  They pushed the Beach Boys Four Seasons Chuck Berry and 50s Elvis and Little Richard records rather hard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/06/06 at 6:08 pm

I remember listening to an "oldies" station in the 70s. They did play a lot from the 50s & 60s. Other stations just played the top 40 with an occasional older tune in between.

Cat

Written By: Class of 84 on 04/06/06 at 6:15 pm

I just can't see 50's music meshing with 70's, like the 80's and 90's and today can. ???

Written By: AmericanGirl on 04/06/06 at 6:44 pm

I was a pretty avid listener to 70's Top 40.  Until later in the 70's, oldies weren't considered "cool" on the whole, although it wasn't unusual for a Top 40 station to "sneak" in an oldie.

Sometime after American Grafitti came out (mid 70's on), the 50's (and even to some extent the 40's) began to seem more glamorous...

I don't recall the 60's resurgence happening until the early 80's.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/07/06 at 8:05 am

I was a pretty avid listener to 70's Top 40.  Until later in the 70's, oldies weren't considered "cool" on the whole, although it wasn't unusual for a Top 40 station to "sneak" in an oldie.

Sometime after American Grafitti came out (mid 70's on), the 50's (and even to some extent the 40's) began to seem more glamorous...

Probably because 60s music was still 'new' in the 70s like 90s music is sort of 'new' today...

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/06 at 1:06 pm

Not on the BBC.

Written By: zcrito on 04/07/06 at 10:45 pm

So true.

I listened to Top 40 stations and later FM and for the most part they never played anything outside the current songs. But then the stations my parents listened to (on AM radio) did play songs from the late '50s and '60s, plus easy listening from the '70s.

Written By: KKay on 04/08/06 at 6:33 pm

That is a silly question.

HOWEVER it will not stop me from thinking about it the rest of the day..
intriguing!

I think they did.  I think it was they used the phrase "oldies but goodies".
when oldies were 20 years old. not 50.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/08/06 at 9:35 pm

. But then the stations my parents listened to (on AM radio) did play songs from the late '50s and '60s, plus easy listening from the '70s.

Here, here.  That's how it was.  My mom listened to an AM station -- can't remember the DJ but now I'll have to call her -- where they played mostly 50s stuff.  She LOVED it.  And it seemed impossible that one day we'd be old enough to have our music be "oldies" (or, even worse....elevator music).

Written By: vinyl lover on 04/12/06 at 12:26 am

in the 70's here in southern california we had (and still do)an oldies station playing those oldies(50's & 60's)..it was called K-EARTH 101 fm..it still playing nowadays,but the oldies now are from the 70's and 80's with a few 60's mixed in>>

Written By: KKay on 04/12/06 at 9:46 am

in the 70's here in southern california we had (and still do)an oldies station playing those oldies(50's & 60's)..it was called K-EARTH 101 fm..it still playing nowadays,but the oldies now are from the 70's and 80's with a few 60's mixed in>>

not to change the subject, but i'm applauding you for a very cool avatar!

Check for new replies or respond here...