inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Don McLean

Written By: CeeKay on 04/14/06 at 10:05 am

Are there any Don McLean fans on the boards?  If you listened to more than his am hits, you know he was outstanding with lyrics.

Subject: Re: Don McLean

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/14/06 at 10:31 am

Are there any Don McLean fans on the boards?  If you listened to more than his am hits, you know he was outstanding with lyrics.

McLean is hit and miss with me. Some of his stuff I love. Some I can do without. For example, I'm really not a fan of "Vincent," but I think "Dreidel" is amazing. His version of "Everyday" was pretty cool too, and I'm a fan of "If We Try."

I only know a few of his non-hit tunes, but some I like...
*"Everybody Loves Me, Baby"
*"Winter Has Me In Its Grip"

I guess that's all that I can think of right now.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/14/06 at 10:36 am

McLean is hit and miss with me. Some of his stuff I love. Some I can do without. For example, I'm really not a fan of "Vincent," but I think "Dreidel" is amazing. His version of "Everyday" was pretty cool too, and I'm a fan of "If We Try."

His best songs were never played on the radio.  "Dreidel" is amazing, yes.  I think of "Oh My What a Shame" "Andrew McCrew" "Respectable"

You wouldn't know them unless you bought albums other than "American Pie"

Written By: KKay on 04/14/06 at 10:41 am

I love "Empty Chairs"..
Loved Andrew McCrew and onthe amazon for camp value. but for my money it's all in the ballads. Vincent, still great.
Uptune, love Great Big Man.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/14/06 at 10:44 am

I love "Empty Chairs"..
Loved Andrew McCrew and onthe amazon for camp value. but for my money it's all in the ballads. Vincent, still great.
Uptune, love Great Big Man.

Aw, yes.  Great Big Man.  Fabulous.  I agree, the ballads are the best.  "I'm tangled like a spider in her hair."

But the words just don't really cut it without his voice and the music 'cause it all becomes one unit.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 04/14/06 at 10:45 am

You wouldn't know them unless you bought albums other than "American Pie"

Yeah actually more of the songs I named came from other albums (Don McLean and Homeless Brother) but I only know random tracks, have not listened to any of them completely. I will try to check out the ones you named some time. :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/06 at 3:18 pm

I absolutely LOVE American Pie. I know that is the one song he is most famous for but it really describes "My Generation" (and I'm not talking about the Who, here  ;) ) There is so much meaning in that song it is unbelievable.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 04/14/06 at 3:22 pm

My favourite has always been his 80's comeback hit "Since I Don't Have You".  80's Doo-Wop ... it's fantastic 8)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,16889.0.html

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/15/06 at 4:55 am

I like 'Vincent' better than 'American Pie'...it's just so sublime and poetic (not only the words). One of the best musical statements of the 70s. I also quite liked his cover of 'Crying.'

Written By: CeeKay on 04/15/06 at 10:11 am

I like 'Vincent' better than 'American Pie'...it's just so sublime and poetic (not only the words). One of the best musical statements of the 70s. I also quite liked his cover of 'Crying.'

I have to agree with you on both counts.  And while I like American Pie, I'm afraid it's one of those songs that I've heard way too many times.  But every now and then...when nobody's looking.... ("Helter Skelter in a summer swelter.....") I sing it loudly while cleaning my house and remember every word.  ::)

Written By: MidTennHitman on 04/16/06 at 10:53 am

"Castles In The Sand" was probably my favorite by Mclean as I was over exposed to "American Pie" but "Vincent" was certainly a shining moment

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/16/06 at 2:51 pm

I like "American Pie" as it's the only song I know all the lyrics to and plus it still is a classic. I like "Vincent" and "Crying" a lot, too.

Written By: whiteport on 04/16/06 at 5:48 pm

I haven't really heard alot of his stuff, other than "American Pie" & "Vincent". I'll have to check out some of his work.

Written By: zcrito on 04/16/06 at 5:55 pm

He's got a couple of songs I like

"Castles In The Air" from 1981 (sounds more like a very early '70s song to be honest)

And of course

"Vincent" (or Starry Starry Night) from 1972.

"...you know he was outstanding with lyrics."

Yes, he was...

For they could not love you
But still your love was true
And when no hope was left inside
On that starry, starry night
You took your life as lovers often do
But I could have told you Vincent
This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.

Starry, starry night...

Written By: CeeKay on 04/16/06 at 7:31 pm

He's got a couple of songs I like

"Castles In The Air" from 1981 (sounds more like a very early '70s song to be honest)

Actually, Castles in the Air was on the "Don McLean" album which was the first I owned, somewhere around '75 or '76.

Written By: KKay on 04/21/06 at 8:42 am

Actually, Castles in the Air was on the "Don McLean" album which was the first I owned, somewhere around '75 or '76.

OMG, now that i'm singing it inmy head:
how great is that verse of Castles :how can words express the feel of sunlight in the morning in the hills...."
and he sounded so happy..

Written By: jaytee on 04/21/06 at 9:30 am

Vincent is a wonderful song.  And I Love You So is another favourite.

Written By: zcrito on 04/21/06 at 7:40 pm

I did some checking after reading your comment. It appears the Castles song was on his first album from 1970 and then he "updated" it and released it again in 1981.

Written By: CeeKay on 04/21/06 at 10:51 pm

OMG, now that i'm singing it inmy head:
how great is that verse of Castles :how can words express the feel of sunlight in the morning in the hills...."
and he sounded so happy..

"....away from city life.  I need a country woman for my wife.  I'm city-born; but I love the country life."

Yep.  Sung like someone who realized what he wanted alright.

Check for new replies or respond here...