inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Easter Egg coloring "contraption"

Written By: lorac614 on 04/14/06 at 4:38 pm

When I was a kid we had this thing we used to color Easter eggs...

It had magic markers that fit together (The first one had a cap and each of the others were snapped into the end of the others), you put the egg into this plastic,spring-loaded device, the markers into a holder and you turned the egg.  I don't think it worked very well.

Anyone know what this was called? 

Subject: Re: Easter Egg coloring "contraption"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/06 at 5:39 pm

I remember that. We had one too and I also remember that it didn't work very well. I don't remember what it is called. I did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. Sorry.

Cat

Written By: lorac614 on 04/14/06 at 5:56 pm

Hey thanks, at least I know the thing actually existed and I wasn't dreaming.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/06 at 6:03 pm

Hey thanks, at least I know the thing actually existed and I wasn't dreaming.

No, you weren't dreaming. I remember we used the markers for "other things" since they didn't work on the eggs.  ;D

Cat

Written By: CeeKay on 04/15/06 at 10:16 am

When I was a kid we had this thing we used to color Easter eggs...

It had magic markers that fit together (The first one had a cap and each of the others were snapped into the end of the others), you put the egg into this plastic,spring-loaded device, the markers into a holder and you turned the egg.  I don't think it worked very well.

Anyone know what this was called? 

I remember it, but have no idea what it was called.  We never had one.  The "PAAS" coloring kit is the only thing we've ever used.  You know it:  the little tablets you drop in vinegar, the wax crayons, the stickers and you punch out the circles on the back of the box which then becomes the egg holder.  They were popular in the 60s, 70s and today.

Seems egg coloring hasn't changed that much.  Unlike pumpkin carving, which is now a competitive sport (though very fun).

Written By: kairi747 on 04/20/06 at 8:51 pm

yep, we had one, too.  same thing - didn't work.  i don't remember what it was called either.

Written By: zotsfreak on 04/21/06 at 5:49 am

yep, we had one, too.  same thing - didn't work.  i don't remember what it was called either.

Hey lorac614-
Had one too. It S**ked. I do remember what it was called though... "The Decor-Eggor"  (word play on the word "decorator")

Written By: lorac614 on 04/23/06 at 12:07 pm

I remember it, but have no idea what it was called.  We never had one.  The "PAAS" coloring kit is the only thing we've ever used.  You know it:  the little tablets you drop in vinegar, the wax crayons, the stickers and you punch out the circles on the back of the box which then becomes the egg holder.  They were popular in the 60s, 70s and today.

Seems egg coloring hasn't changed that much.  Unlike pumpkin carving, which is now a competitive sport (though very fun).

We still use the PAAS stuff, however this year I bought a kit where you made Speckled eggs, using a small sponge brush and color.  It worked OK until my 2 year old tried it, he dipped his brush into every color, so we had brown eggs!  LOL!!

The last couple of years I bought pumpkin carving kits, pretty cool...I made a cat and a witch pumpkin.

Written By: lorac614 on 04/23/06 at 12:08 pm

Hey lorac614-
Had one too. It S**ked. I do remember what it was called though... "The Decor-Eggor"  (word play on the word "decorator")

Thanks IGGYfreak...yeah it did suck!!  Thanks for the name.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/23/06 at 5:12 pm

The last couple of years I bought pumpkin carving kits, pretty cool...I made a cat and a witch pumpkin.

Every year, friends of ours have a pumpkin carving party. Everyone brings their own pumpkins and something to eat/drink and our host/hostess provides the carving kits/patterns. Of course every year I have to do a cat.  ;)  They all come out pretty cool. Before, I thought you really had to be a great artist to do one of those but using a pattern, just about anyone can do it. At the party after the sun goes down, they light all of them and they all look really cool. Sometimes the local paper is called to come out and take a picture of all of them. They is usually about 50 of them carved (yes, it is a big party and some people do more than one).  I am posting a couple of pictures of them (the picture of my cat didn't come out too well  :\'( ).  I hope you can see some of the designs on them. The pictures don't really do it justice. Just being there with all of them is really cool.

Cat

Written By: CeeKay on 04/23/06 at 11:59 pm

Every year, friends of ours have a pumpkin carving party. Everyone brings their own pumpkins and something to eat/drink and our host/hostess provides the carving kits/patterns.

This year I decorated an Easter Egg to look like a Halloween pumpkin.  (We used the Paas dye on the eggs and then used fine-tip markers to decorate them).

But, Yeah, the stuff they have now for carving pumpkins is pretty fun.

Check for new replies or respond here...