inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Peak of the '70s

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/19/06 at 8:29 pm

I would say late 1976-early 1978 or so is the extended peak. Disco being extremely "hot" then, Saturday Night Fever, Star Wars, Rocky, Taxi Driver, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Annie Hall, The Omen, "Three's Company", "The Love Boat", punk being very big and new wave starting up, "Laverne and Shirley", "Wonder Woman", "Hotel California", "You Light Up My Life", Queen being big, etc. make it that, really. Also, from word-of-mouth, that period had a very '70s "zeitgeist" to it, like you really felt like you were in an era.

Subject: Re: Peak of the '70s

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/21/06 at 9:45 am

The period you refer to (late 70s) is only one version of the 70s...and probably the 70s most people are familiar with. Perhaps more so than any other decade bar the 60s, the 70s can be neatly categorised into two distinct periods. The period 1970-75 characterised by flair, psuedo-hippiesm, and a sappy teen stars, and of course the infamous Disco period. Each period was as important as the next.

1975...Just like in the Skyhook's song 'Livin' in the 70s'

Written By: mandamoo on 04/21/06 at 9:17 pm

1975...Just like in the Skyhook's song 'Livin' in the 70s'

A line from which, is in my sig - and my theme song :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/22/06 at 12:31 am

A line from which, is in my sig - and my theme song :)

You would have remembered most of the 70s? Remember a little Aussie film called 'The F.J. Holden'?

Written By: mandamoo on 04/22/06 at 4:35 am

You would have remembered most of the 70s? Remember a little Aussie film called 'The F.J. Holden'?

I certainly know it but the odd thing is I've never seen it  ???

I guess I was a bit too young (12/13) when it first came out but I'm gonna make a point of getting hold of it  :)

Written By: jaytee on 04/22/06 at 5:11 am

I saw it at the drive-in with friends.  I would have been about 16 :o

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/22/06 at 9:15 pm

I certainly know it but the odd thing is I've never seen it  ???

I guess I was a bit too young (12/13) when it first came out but I'm gonna make a point of getting hold of it  :)

To me it's the classic time-capsule of living in the suburbs in the 70s (I know of few other films like it)...During the film watch out for a few later-to-be famous faces...

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/23/06 at 12:31 am

I think the reason late 76-early 78 qualifies as the peak of the '70s is that it had broken almost totally free of its lame, pseudo-hippieish '60s associations by that point and fully become its own decade. The first half of the '70s was characterized by horrible fashion, sappy pop and teen stars, intelligent movies and sitcoms, ridiculous interior design, classic and stadium rock (prog rock, hard rock, Southern rock, early heavy metal), Philadelphia soul, some ridiculous haircuts, the "no makeup look", the singer-songwriter explosion, the funk explosion...This was still vaguely influenced by '60s ideals. The 1976-mid 1979 period had totally broken free of what was remaining in a watered-down way of the '60s for chest hair, cocaine, and disco balls.

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/23/06 at 4:09 am

The 70s were definitely the era of the chest rug  ;D ;D ;D,

Check for new replies or respond here...