inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kraftwerk

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/24/06 at 9:04 am

Most everyone thinks that modern techno music started in the early 1980s with the New Wave and Europop.  But what a lot of people don't know is that techno started as early as 1970 over in Europe by a group known as Kraftwerk.  Kraftwerk weren't Europop in their time, but Euro-underground because of the nature of their music, almost like synthesized hippyism with the early concepts of using keyboards and drum machines.  Most Hip Hop music in the 80s were sampled from many of Kraftwerk's music.  For instance:Planet Rock by Afrika Bambaata (1984) was taken from Trans-Europe Express (1977).  As much as I hate to bring this one up, 2 Live Crew used the intro from Man Machine (1978) for their rediculous and gamey song D**k Almighty (1989).  Other artist in the 90s have used Kraftwerk's beats as well as melodies for a style known as "Freestyle Breaks beats".  Three of the best albums from Kraftwerk has to be Autobahn (1974); The Man Machine (1978); Trans Europe Express (1977).  I have DLed many hard-to-find Kraftwerk albums, but those specific three are my faves.  So my point is...if it weren't for the likes of those German blokes, known as Kraftwerk, todays modern techno wouldn't be as good. :)

Subject: Re: Kraftwerk

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/24/06 at 10:25 am

Ah Kraftwerk...those German avant-garde extrodinaires...

They were certainly revolutionary, but to credit them for single-handedly starting the whole thing is going a bit far. Just like saying the Beatles started the whole of pop music as we know it. They were actually at the mainstream forefront of a movement known as Krautrock, experimental, largely electronic music on primitive synthesizers in the early 70s. Other such bands were Tangerine Dream, Can and Cluster. They started Eurotechno music which only spread to America with the New Wave movement towards the end of the decade.

I've only really listened to 'Autobahn' in detailed, and it certainly sounds WAYY ahead of its time (this was still the era of Stadium Rock and saccharine teen pop), though for today's ears it could be a bit simplistic. Certainly, they were one of the major forces behind techno, but far from invented it. Many German experimental musicians, in an attempt to copy American and British Psychadelia, experimented with weird synth sounds on both sides of the Iron Curtain.

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/24/06 at 10:39 pm

Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream were certainly very fine and dandy...and very advanced and ahead of their time, as Sr. Trimac said. They influenced new wave and disco which came to the fore at the end of the '70s, and from there influenced hip-hop, a movement that came out of these (and funk)...but that's another story for another time...

Written By: vinyl lover on 04/27/06 at 1:14 am

the only kraftwerk album i have is the 1981 classic"computer world"!

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/27/06 at 8:53 am

the only kraftwerk album i have is the 1981 classic"computer world"!

That's a good one 8)

Written By: Carl on 04/27/06 at 8:54 am

The only song I know from them is 'The Model' from '81 or so.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/27/06 at 10:36 pm

That's a tastey, and yummy track too..... 8)

Written By: whistledog on 04/27/06 at 11:32 pm

That was a fantastic track 8)

I know that one and "Tour De France", and I remember they had some song about a phone.  Can't quite remember.  I don't know as much about Kraftwerk as I should, because they are great

Written By: karen on 04/28/06 at 3:28 am

I learnt to count up to 8 in German and 4 in Italian from a Kraftwerk track.  Pocket Calculator I think it was.  My brother was a big fan so I heard a lot of their stuff.  It would be hard to pick a favourite but The Model, Autobahn and Computer Love have to be up there.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/28/06 at 4:01 pm

Check out these exciting links to get all your Kraftwerk info:

Kraftwerk Official Site
http://www.kraftwerk.com/

Kraftwerk The Early Years '68-'73
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/8880/

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/29/06 at 12:33 am

I loved their German accents on the English-language tracks they did. 'Fun, fun, fun on the autobahn!'

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/29/06 at 1:18 am

I loved their German accents on the English-language tracks they did. 'Fun, fun, fun on the autobahn!'

I know huh? ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 04/29/06 at 8:12 am

I own The Man-Machine and Trans-Europe Express...it's definitely arguable they're in the realm of influentiality that includes the Beatles. I also think their music happens to be quite enjoyable to listen to...I was playing them in the car with my grandmother and she loved them, which I thought was funny.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/29/06 at 9:16 pm

I own The Man-Machine and Trans-Europe Express...it's definitely arguable they're in the realm of influentiality that includes the Beatles. I also think their music happens to be quite enjoyable to listen to...I was playing them in the car with my grandmother and she loved them, which I thought was funny.

Nice! 8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/30/06 at 1:39 am

Did she sing along to the tracks which had vocals in them?  :)

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/30/06 at 12:58 pm

Did she sing along to the tracks which had vocals in them?  :)

"We Are The rrrrRobots"....."din...din...din...din" ;D 8)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/01/06 at 9:20 pm

"We Are The rrrrRobots"....."din...din...din...din" ;D 8)

lol..you have one awesome granny!

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/06 at 11:13 pm

I'd second the nomination to the official site.

I'll neither confirm nor deny that I saw Kraftwerk, Tackhead, nor Front 242 on their relatively-recent (past 5 years) US tours.  But if I were to do so, none of the three have lost their edge.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/06/06 at 10:30 am

I'd second the nomination to the official site.

I'll neither confirm nor deny that I saw Kraftwerk, Tackhead, nor Front 242 on their relatively-recent (past 5 years) US tours.  But if I were to do so, none of the three have lost their edge.

I would eat a Klondike Bar to see Kraftwerk on tour.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/06 at 11:04 pm

Keep your eyes on the (unnavigable) website. 

They'll be back.  Failing that - take a European vacation, and by sheer coincidence, take it in a city where they're performing.

Check for new replies or respond here...