inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ohio Players-Love Rollercoaster Murder...urban legend

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/28/06 at 9:24 pm

Have you guys ever heard of that silly rumor that there was a murder taken place during the recording of the Ohio Players song, "Love Rollercoaster?"  There is a part in the song where you hear a scream in the background, and numerous rumors were started that someone was murdered.  Well, here is the answer to that question...I found it on an Ohio Players Frequently asked questions site....

http://wfnk.com/ohioplayers/faq.html#question%204

Is it true a woman was murdered during the recording of "Love Rollercoaster"?

This is by far the issue that generates the most email - the rumor that you can hear a woman screaming in the percussion breakdown of "Love Rollercoaster" on 1975's Honey. First off - it's a rumor and it's variations are all untrue. No one was murdered or even beat up at the recording session, at least not that we know of ;-)

The most popular rumor states that a girlfriend of one of the recording engineers was murdered in the studio next to the one OP was recording in, and somehow her scream made it onto OP's tape. A popular variation on that is that the model for the cover of Honey was badly burned in the photoshoot and when she threatened OP's manager with a lawsuit he killed her in the studio! We've also heard that the band themselves killed her because she was a groupie that would not leave them alone, and other less interesting versions.

The truth as we've heard from several sources is this - the scream is really there on the track, but it's Billy Beck screeching off-mike and they decided to leave it on to give the song a looser feel. There are plenty of these types of casual slips on OP's records. During performances I've seen of this song Billy Beck screams and laughs during the percussion break. The band stated that they were big fans of the "Paul is dead" hype The Beatles were able the generate, so when a popular DJ began spreading the rumor they made a decision to remain quiet to add to the hype. It worked!.

Subject: Re: Ohio Players-Love Rollercoaster Murder...urban legend

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 04/28/06 at 10:49 pm

WOW!!!!!, that's freaky......just like the "ghost boy" in 3 Men And A Baby!!!!!! :o

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/29/06 at 9:02 am

WOW!!!!!, that's freaky......just like the "ghost boy" in 3 Men And A Baby!!!!!! :o

yea, I think I have heard of that one....it was fake, right? ???

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/01/06 at 9:01 am

yea, I think I have heard of that one....it was fake, right? ???

Fake or not..........STILL freaky!!!

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/06 at 4:12 pm

Yes, despite it being untrue, it still sent a shiver up my spine reading that on Snopes.com (for all your true/false urban legends info).

The 'Three Men and a Baby' Ghost boy was fake.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/3menbaby.htm

Written By: charissse on 06/26/09 at 5:02 pm

well I have news for you. I've seen an interview with the ohio players and when they were discussing the subject, they chuckled and said lets just leave it at that. A fool would know they were lying. That scream was very authentic as that person was in excrutiating pain and possibly getting killed.

Written By: Jessica on 06/26/09 at 6:41 pm

well I have news for you. I've seen an interview with the ohio players and when they were discussing the subject, they chuckled and said lets just leave it at that. A fool would know they were lying. That scream was very authentic as that person was in excrutiating pain and possibly getting killed.

http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/roller.asp

Read the end.  Duh.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 06/27/09 at 3:47 pm

Or Wizard of Oz, where the crew member is seen hanging himself in the background!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/27/09 at 3:50 pm

Or Wizard of Oz, where the crew member is seen hanging himself in the background!

Nope that ones false too.  However the story about Margret Hamilton being burn during one scene is true.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 06/27/09 at 4:25 pm

Nope that ones false too.  However the story about Margret Hamilton being burn during one scene is true.
Go ahead, burst my bubble... :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/09 at 12:39 am

She didn't scream because she was injected with cyanide and died in two seconds!

Sheesh!
::)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/28/09 at 6:01 am

She didn't scream because she was injected with cyanide and died in two seconds!

Sheesh!
::)

Idiots used flammable paint on her. >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/28/09 at 8:24 am

Is it true a woman was murdered during the recording of "Love Rollercoaster"?

Well I've heard this many times, by various people.  It always seemed too incredible for me to believe - and if it did happen, that it was gotten away with.

Stranger things have happened, though  ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/09 at 12:29 am

It's just one of the band members doing a high-pitched inhaling scream buried in the mix.  One DJ somewhere wondered on-air if the band "killed a chick" in the studio, and the rumor went from there.
http://snopes.com/music/hidden/roller.asp

Written By: Christine on 08/25/13 at 7:10 pm

I heard it was someone who actually fell off of a rollercoaster and died. I never heard that it was possibly someone who was murdered.

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/13 at 7:15 pm

It's entirely possible.  Heck, the cover to their album Climax says it all :o

http://justsoulyouknow.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/climax.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/26/13 at 6:51 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBkVV9xxCHE

Check for new replies or respond here...