inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: candy bars

Written By: mrs.uggy on 05/01/06 at 6:30 pm

i have a question if someone could help me out with this.  there was a candy bar out in the late 60's or early 70's.  it was whipped chocolate.  almost like air bubbles in it.  i can't remember the name and it's driving me crazy. :o  if anyone knows can ya please let me know.  i sure would appreciate it.  thanks,  mrs.uggy

Subject: Re: candy bars

Written By: Tam on 05/02/06 at 1:44 pm

Could it be Aero?

The commercial went:

"bubbles on bubbles, stacked in a plie
tastes so good it makes you want to smile!
Aero!"
and repeated.

Think it's just a Canadian chocolate bar though

Written By: Babooshka. on 05/02/06 at 5:24 pm

Could it be Aero?

The commercial went:

"bubbles on bubbles, stacked in a plie
tastes so good it makes you want to smile!
Aero!"
and repeated.

Think it's just a Canadian chocolate bar though

We still have Aero chocolate here in the UK made by Nestle now, used to be Rowntree Mackintosh till they were taken over by the Swiss company.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 05/02/06 at 10:14 pm

Aero.....yum!  I used to eat those living in Canada...... 8)

Written By: zotsfreak on 05/03/06 at 8:32 am

i have a question if someone could help me out with this.  there was a candy bar out in the late 60's or early 70's.  it was whipped chocolate.  almost like air bubbles in it.  i can't remember the name and it's driving me crazy. :o  if anyone knows can ya please let me know.  i sure would appreciate it.  thanks,  mrs.uggy

Used to love them!! They were called "Choc-O-Lite" made by Nestle.

I remember the TV commercial jingle too....

"You've never felt so good about chocl - late;  'cause chocolate never felt so good as Choc-O-Lite"

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/03/06 at 9:57 am

You don't have Aero in the U.S.? How could you survive? Lol. I seldom eat Aero myself, but I like em nonetheless.

We had Hersheys for a short while, but now they've seemingly dissappeared; which was a pity, I quite liked Hersheys. Oreos have been a real successful import though. One thing the yanks miss out on are Tim Tams; those things are so addictive...

Written By: Marian on 05/03/06 at 2:34 pm

You don't have Aero in the U.S.? How could you survive? Lol. I seldom eat Aero myself, but I like em nonetheless.

We had Hersheys for a short while, but now they've seemingly dissappeared; which was a pity, I quite liked Hersheys. Oreos have been a real successful import though. One thing the yanks miss out on are Tim Tams; those things are so addictive...

Is Choco-lite the same as Aero?They have it at Cost Plus imports.

Written By: zotsfreak on 05/04/06 at 5:40 am

Is Choco-lite the same as Aero?They have it at Cost Plus imports.

Very similar to Aero; milk chocolate with loads of air bubbles. Choc O Lite also had very tiny bits of english toffee mixed in though.

Written By: Tam on 05/04/06 at 10:05 pm

If it's Nestle then it's a UK and Canada thing!
Oh how I miss Crispy Crunch, Caramilk, MacIntosh Toffee, Oh Henry, Special Crisp and Wunderbar!

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/06 at 10:18 pm

Oh how I miss Crispy Crunch, Caramilk, MacIntosh Toffee, Oh Henry, Special Crisp and Wunderbar!

You can't get any of those in America?  Man, how can anyone survive without Caramilk or Crispy Crunch.  Those things are awesome! 8)

Written By: zotsfreak on 05/05/06 at 5:54 am

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 8:52 am

So you telling me they don't have Nestle in America? Just chocolates, or all Nestle products? Can't think for the life of me why. You mean you don't have Kit-Kats, Violet Crumble, Smarties.etc?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/05/06 at 11:06 am

So you telling me they don't have Nestle in America? Just chocolates, or all Nestle products? Can't think for the life of me why. You mean you don't have Kit-Kats, Violet Crumble, Smarties.etc?

Of course we have Nestle in America  :D  including Kit-Kats and Smarties.  Never heard of Violet Crumble, though...   :-\\

I guess I'll add, I didn't know if Kit-Kats or Smarties were from Nestle, but perhaps they are - I just eat 'em!  ::)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/05/06 at 11:13 am

If it's Nestle then it's a UK and Canada thing!

Those product names sound like a play on the British names Rowntree Mackintosh (now Nestle) used for the UK  market.

Special Crisp - Toffee Crisp?  was a chunky bar of chocolate/toffee and rice crispies
Crispy Crunch - Dairy Crunch?  was a flat choc bar with rice crispies in it.
Caramilk - Caramac?  was a bit sickly and an orangey coloured chocolate bar.

not heard of the others.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 11:22 am

Those product names sound like a play on the British names Rowntree Mackintosh (now Nestle) used for the UK  market.

Special Crisp - Toffee Crisp?  was a chunky bar of chocolate/toffee and rice crispies
Crispy Crunch - Dairy Crunch?  was a flat choc bar with rice crispies in it.
Caramilk - Caramac?  was a bit sickly and an orangey coloured chocolate bar.

not heard of the others.

'Crispy Crunch' sounds alot of a chocolate we call a 'Crunch' - it's got the letters 'Crunch' on the chocolate bar, and the wrapping is blue and white with red letters. Is the 'Crisp Crunch' similarly packaged? Might just be a different name.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/05/06 at 11:25 am

'Crispy Crunch' sounds alot of a chocolate we call a 'Crunch' - it's got the letters 'Crunch' on the chocolate bar, and the wrapping is blue and white with red letters. Is the 'Crisp Crunch' similarly packaged? Might just be a different name.

That's the one!  :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 11:26 am

Did a bit of research...

http://images.skymall.com/images/products/8a/28/04/69765711x.jpg

Crunch

http://www.importladen.de/images/products/crispycrunch.jpg
Crispy Crunch

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/05/06 at 12:18 pm

http://images.skymall.com/images/products/8a/28/04/69765711x.jpg

Yes Nestle seem to like their brand name everywhere, years ago (long before this co. took over) this was known as Dairy Crunch and RowntreeMackintosh simply placed their name and address in small print on the back of the wrapper - oh how times have changed,  everything is hard sell thesedays.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 12:24 pm

mmm...Crunch

What do you think of Nestle vs. Cadbury? I personally prefer Nestle myself, Cadbury's a bit chalky and too sweet. Nestle's a good compromise between a quick fix and more 'refined' chocolate.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/05/06 at 12:28 pm

mmm...Crunch

What do you think of Nestle vs. Cadbury? I personally prefer Nestle myself, Cadbury's a bit chalky and too sweet. Nestle's a good compromise between a quite fix and more 'refined' chocolate.

Funny you should mention this, but I was on Cadbury's site yesterday, never knew they've been making chocolate since the 1800's!

Like both, but Cadbury has the best range of products imo.

Take a squint at this
http://www.cadbury.co.uk/EN/CTB2003/sitemap.htm

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/05/06 at 12:39 pm

Yes, they have a good range, some better than others. I just find the chocolate itself not as rich as Nestle...guess that's just me. Mmm, brings back memories when I visited the Cadbury chocolate factory...mmmm...

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/05/06 at 4:47 pm

Yes, they have a good range, some better than others. I just find the chocolate itself not as rich as Nestle...guess that's just me. Mmm, brings back memories when I visited the Cadbury chocolate factory...mmmm...

Tell you what I really love and that's melted chocolate, you know when you break it into squares and heat it and it goes all runny ready to pile on top of a cake, well half of it usually goes straight into my mouth    ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/06/06 at 4:38 am

Tell you what I really love and that's melted chocolate, you know when you break it into squares and heat it and it goes all runny ready to pile on top of a cake, well half of it usually goes straight into my mouth    ;D

I love those Lindt chocolate balls with the soft chocolate centres - it's like half-melted chocolate.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/07/06 at 1:21 pm

I love those Lindt chocolate balls with the soft chocolate centres - it's like half-melted chocolate.

Coincidence - one of the girls parents bought me one of those for Easter and yes they are deeleeshus.

Written By: happygirl on 05/07/06 at 6:45 pm

Ok, another candybar question...
Does anyone remember the Marathon Bar? It was braided?  No one I know remembers it, perhaps Im delusional?

Written By: Tam on 05/07/06 at 9:17 pm

Does anyone remember the Marathon Bar? It was braided?  No one I know remembers it, perhaps Im delusional?

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/images/candypix-pages/curly-wurly_small.jpg

I remember the Marathon Bar!
When I was young we would go to Watertown and it was the only chocolate bar I would buy!

Seems Curly Wurly has taken it's place now! ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/08/06 at 5:30 am

Curly Wurly's were like 'budget chocolate bars' - squarely aimed at the 'pocket-money chocoholics.' Back when you were 9, $1 seemed like a near fortune!

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/08/06 at 7:32 am

Marathon has been given the stupid new name of Snickers for some years now.  ::)

Curly Wurly were never Marathon?? as you see by the photo above it is a completely different product.

Written By: karen on 05/08/06 at 7:39 am

Marathon has been given the stupid new name of Snickers for some years now.   ::)

Curly Wurly were never Marathon?? as you see by the photo above it is a completely different product.

What we in Britain know as a Curly-Wurly apparently went by the name Marathon in the U.S.  There has been a discussion about that here before some time ago.  (See http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe70s/bbs0/webBBS_871.shtml )

Written By: fishryc on 05/08/06 at 9:42 am

What we in Britain know as a Curly-Wurly apparently went by the name Marathon in the U.S.  There has been a discussion about that here before some time ago.  (See http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe70s/bbs0/webBBS_871.shtml )

I also remember an identical candy bar called Wig Wag. I'm in NY State near the Ontario border and believe that they were a Canadian product that I saw advertised on a Toronto station.
Also, does anyone remember what I believe was also a Canadian import that I used to like. It was made by a company called Neilson. They were called "Neilson Cinnamon Danish". Back around 1972 when candy bars were about 20 cents, these carried the unheard of price of 50 cents; but we liked them and bought them. They were layers of crispy wafers similar to Coffee Crisp with a Cinnamon flavored cream between them, covered in white chocolate, and drizzled with a Cinnamon flavored icing in a leopard stripe type pattern. They may also have had some rice crispies mixed in the white chocolate coating. Very good; wish they still had them. Does anyone know if Neilson Co. still around?

Written By: Babooshka. on 05/08/06 at 9:51 am

Interesting, as Marathon/Snickers are made by MARS and Curly Wurly by CADBURY two entirely different companies - the plot thickens    ;D

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/09/06 at 4:36 am

..and just to add it was given the stupid name Snickers to appeal more to the American market.  ::)

Marathon Marathon Marathon Marathon  Marathon...

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 5:26 am

..and just to add it was given the stupid name Snickers to appeal more to the American market.  ::)

Marathon Marathon Marathon Marathon  Marathon...

I've only known it as Snickers...that's why I didn't know what a 'Marathon Bar' was.

Written By: karen on 05/09/06 at 6:33 am

I've only known it as Snickers...that's why I didn't know what a 'Marathon Bar' was.

Do any other Aus people know it as a Marathon bar?  Perhaps it was always called Snickers in Aus?

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/09/06 at 7:26 am

Do any other Aus people know it as a Marathon bar?  Perhaps it was always called Snickers in Aus?

Dunno, but I've always known em as Snickers' bars, and I've been eating them for a very long time...

Written By: karen on 05/10/06 at 3:38 am

Dunno, but I've always known em as Snickers' bars, and I've been eating them for a very long time...

So maybe we've been blaming the wrong people all this time?  It was really switched from Marathon to Snickers because that's what the Aussies called it?  :o

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/10/06 at 3:42 am

So maybe we've been blaming the wrong people all this time?  It was really switched from Marathon to Snickers because that's what the Aussies called it?  :o

Oh yes, I totally forgot! They just released a 'Snickers Marathon' here...I've been seeing them every day but it never clicked! Apparently it's a 'high energy' version of a normal Snickers' Bar, don't know what's so 'high energy' about them.

Written By: karen on 05/10/06 at 4:35 am

Oh yes, I totally forgot! They just released a 'Snickers Marathon' here...I've been seeing them every day but it never clicked! Apparently it's a 'high energy' version of a normal Snickers' Bar, don't know what's so 'high energy' about them.

Google "snickers marathon" +australia  and you get to a site with this information

"Features: Snickers

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/18/06 at 10:27 pm

I also remember an identical candy bar called Wig Wag. I'm in NY State near the Ontario border and believe that they were a Canadian product that I saw advertised on a Toronto station.
Also, does anyone remember what I believe was also a Canadian import that I used to like. It was made by a company called Neilson. They were called "Neilson Cinnamon Danish". Back around 1972 when candy bars were about 20 cents, these carried the unheard of price of 50 cents; but we liked them and bought them. They were layers of crispy wafers similar to Coffee Crisp with a Cinnamon flavored cream between them, covered in white chocolate, and drizzled with a Cinnamon flavored icing in a leopard stripe type pattern. They may also have had some rice crispies mixed in the white chocolate coating. Very good; wish they still had them. Does anyone know if Neilson Co. still around?

hi fishyrc,you might enjoy this site..

i have a few posts on it including references to the wigwag bar and the danish..along with may comments from other people about retro candy..  :)

http://ruk.ca/discuss/1417

Written By: Buffalo on 09/19/06 at 10:30 pm

Someone mentioned Coffee Crisp  :P One of my favorites. I am going back home to Niagara Falls at the end of the month and a box of Coffee Crisp is coming back with me. Does anyone remember a candy bar from the 70's called "Powerhouse"? I loved those things.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/21/06 at 9:41 pm

8) Zero bars..I dont know when they came out but I loved them..I dont eat sweets anymore..do they still make them????

Written By: Wiffle on 09/21/06 at 11:19 pm

Some of our grocery stores here in North Texas have some good imported candies. I can get all sorts of British candies, like Flake, Pastilles (if I recall) and I think they are called sherbets where you dip a piece of black licorice in a powder and l lick off the powder. I think I have seen Aero there too.

Written By: Marian on 09/23/06 at 2:49 pm

I remember that one.it came in a red wrapper.it cost 25 cents each.ON Halloween someonbe gave theose out--25 cents was a big deal then.

Written By: Marian on 09/23/06 at 2:51 pm

We have Kit Kats and smarties.Vilolet crumble is available at Cost plus and Lunardi's

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/23/06 at 11:27 pm

I remember that one.it came in a red wrapper.it cost 25 cents each.ON Halloween someonbe gave theose out--25 cents was a big deal then.
  8) I remember that too..it was quite good!

Written By: brokentoy on 01/07/07 at 5:52 pm

does anybody remember a candy called 7up?  My wife talks about it all the time but i have never heard of it. It was a candy that was in 7 pieces and each piece in its own compartment and had a different flavor. Anybody?

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/11/07 at 9:54 pm

As a Canadian who loves chocolate, I can confirm that yes, Aero bars are still available in Canada. They have two main flavors, regular and mint, and also sometimes they experiment with the recipe. The last flavor I remember to be tested was an orange flavored center. Very tasty bar. Hop across the border and grab a few, if you can.

Written By: karen on 01/16/07 at 11:26 am

does anybody remember a candy called 7up?  My wife talks about it all the time but i have never heard of it. It was a candy that was in 7 pieces and each piece in its own compartment and had a different flavor. Anybody?

It gets a mention on one of the other sites here

http://www.inthe70s.com/generated/food.shtml

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/16/07 at 5:13 pm

Anyone know the name of this candy bar...

It's probably from the UK since I purchased it from an Irish store, it was like someone took melted chocolate and poured it over and over so that it was almost folded on top of itself.  Gosh, I can't really describe it.  It was so light and almost flaky. 

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/16/07 at 5:15 pm

It's probably from the UK since I purchased it from an Irish store, it was like someone took melted chocolate and poured it over and over so that it was almost folded on top of itself.  Gosh, I can't really describe it.  It was so light and almost flaky. 

Nevermind, I just found it on the Cadbury site.  It's called Flake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/07 at 5:19 pm

Nevermind, I just found it on the Cadbury site.  It's called Flake.

Cadbury's Flake

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/28/11 at 10:34 pm

Seven Up had no relation to the soda of the similar name, but yes, it existed.  And the internet fills in all gaps.

Written By: Tori on 06/07/11 at 7:09 pm

I have been trying to think of the name of that candy bar for 20 yrs.
it has been griving me crazy. Did you ever figure it out. I know it was in a reddish orange wrapper and it said whipped chocolate. I think it was a single syllable word that really didn't make sense as to why it was called that.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/22/11 at 8:10 pm

I have been trying to think of the name of that candy bar for 20 yrs.
it has been griving me crazy. Did you ever figure it out. I know it was in a reddish orange wrapper and it said whipped chocolate. I think it was a single syllable word that really didn't make sense as to why it was called that.

This is a long shot, but could it be the U-NO (aka UNO) bar?

http://dessertreport.com/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/legacy/uno.jpg

(I finally found a picture of one and its insides.)

Although the depicted wrapper is silver instead of reddish-orange, the texture is described as whipped/creamy, and the results of a google image search for "whipped chocolate bar" reveal a different orange-on-silver wrapper.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/11 at 8:21 pm

Could be a Foo Bar?
:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/25/11 at 6:22 pm

Could be a Foo Bar?
:D

Y'know, I just spent ten minutes googling it - it's an obvious gag for any nerd into food - and (aside from a pub at 433 Park Ave, Worcester, MA that doesn't serve chocolate), I don't believe that's been done yet.  Not in commercial form on Thinkgeek.  Not even on the usual chocolate/foodie blogs.

/starts rummaging around for alphabetical chocolate molds
//want something done right, gotta do it yourself and all that

Check for new replies or respond here...