inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: TV Shows with characters you never see

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/06 at 11:10 am

I put this in the 70's section, but all decades can apply ...

Ever notice how some TV shows past and present have Characters that you hear of, but you never see?  Here are a few of them ...

The Gooch (Different Strokes)

Principal John Q. Lazarus (Welcome Back, Kotter)

Norm Peterson's wife, Vera (Cheers)

Niles Crane's ex-wife Merris (Frasier)

Ugly Naked Guy (Friends)

Mr. Bell (Drew Carey Show) Kevin Pollak was the voice of Mr. Bell, and in the Season 1 finale, he made his one and only on-screen appearance in the role.  He comes out of his office after getting fired, and says "What's the matter Carey, you act like you've never seen me before"

Subject: Re: TV Shows with characters you never see

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/03/06 at 11:26 am

Mrs. Boylen (Iola's mom on Mama's Family)

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/06 at 11:34 am

Mrs. Boylen (Iola's mom on Mama's Family)

OMG I forgot about that one.  I always wondered what she looked like, which makes me think of another one ...

Al Borland's Mother (Home Improvement)

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/06 at 11:36 am

Just thought of another one ...

Jenny Piccolo (Happy Days) Joanie was always talking about her, but you never saw her.  Then in the 7th season, Jenny made an appearance, and became a regular cast member

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/06 at 11:50 am

"This is Carlton, your doorman"-Rhoda. You only HEARD him, not seen him (the voice was the guy who did the voice of Garfield.

Charlie from Charlie's Angels-again you only HEARD him. (Then we all got to see what he looked like when Dynasty came out.  ;) )

Can you add Chuck from Happy Days? He was seen in the first season then went off to college never seen nor heard from again-and the family seemed to have forgotten about him, too.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: whiteport on 05/03/06 at 1:27 pm

Orson on Mork & Mindy

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/03/06 at 1:33 pm

I'm not sure how many people remember the show Hot L Baltimore. Charlotte Rae's character had a son Moose that you never saw-but Moose was ALWAYS doing something. One time, water was leaking from the ceiling and Charlotte Rae said that Moose was playing "Posideon Adventure".

Cat

Written By: Marian on 05/03/06 at 2:33 pm

I'm not sure how many people remember the show Hot L Baltimore. Charlotte Rae's character had a son Moose that you never saw-but Moose was ALWAYS doing something. One time, water was leaking from the ceiling and Charlotte Rae said that Moose was playing "Posideon Adventure".

Cat
I remember that one.It was onm for about 6 months,i think.

Written By: Allie Fox on 05/04/06 at 10:03 am

Robin Masters from Magnum P.I.

I have never seen the finale so I don't know if it was revealed then.

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/06 at 11:22 am

How about on the sitcom TAXI.  Mr. Ratledge, the owner of the sunshine cab company had an office upstairs.  On several occasions, characters would go up to see him, but he was only ever seen once, in a role played by Allen Garfield (whom you might remember as Chief Lutz in Beverly Hills Cop II)

Written By: gemini on 05/04/06 at 12:22 pm

On Home Improvement, the neighbor Wilson was always covered up by the fence. They usually only showed the top of his head.

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/06 at 1:10 pm

On Home Improvement, the neighbor Wilson was always covered up by the fence. They usually only showed the top of his head.

I remember one year at one of those awards shows, when Home Improvement won for best show, the cast came up on stage, and as a gag, Wilson had a little piece of fence wood taped to his face ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/04/06 at 1:50 pm

[quote author=wһіѕ

Written By: Tia on 05/04/06 at 2:35 pm

sob! this is such a great idea for a thread but i have no good suggestions of names to add -- except the parents in the "peanuts" cartoons, and that's so lame.

so i'm just gonna post in this thread so it will come up in my latest threads updates. er, sorry. had to be done.

Written By: KKay on 05/04/06 at 2:39 pm

all the callers on Frasier's radio show

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/06 at 8:03 pm

How about The Banker on 'Deal or No Deal', that is unless he really is a shadowy silhouette? ;D

or, how about on Seinfeid, Kramer's friend Bob Sacamanto

Written By: Skippy on 05/04/06 at 11:18 pm

What about Charlie in "Charlies Angels''? I didn't watch it much, did he ever show his face?

Written By: Nostalgic on 05/05/06 at 1:11 pm

Did Chuckles The Clown ever show himself on the Mary Tyler Moore Show? If he did, I didn't see that episode.

Written By: whistledog on 05/06/06 at 12:39 pm

Emily Weston on Empty Nest.  She was Harry Weston's youngest daughter.  Was often heard of, but never seen, until 1993, when the character was introduced for one season

Check for new replies or respond here...