inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Part of 'Stairway' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody'

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:25 pm

What is your favourite part of Stairway to Heaven and Bohemian Rhapsody?

For Stairway, mine would be start of the infamous guitar riff about 6 minutes into the song...

As for 'Bohemian', probably the bit which goes 'Mamma mia, mamma mia, something something has a devil for a son, for me...' lol

Subject: Re: Best Part of 'Stairway' and 'Bohemian Rhapsody'

Written By: Tia on 05/19/06 at 7:43 pm

which infamous guitar riff?

i like the part in stairway where the chorus guitar kicks in. and when the drums kick in. the jam at the end is overrated.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:44 pm

i like the part in stairway where the chorus guitar kicks in. and when the drums kick in. the jam at the end is overrated.

Is that just before the Jam? Yeah, the Jam's cool, but perhaps overrated. Are there any songs with a solo that beats Stairway's?

Written By: Tia on 05/19/06 at 7:48 pm

Is that just before the Jam? Yeah, the Jam's cool, but perhaps overrated. Are there any songs with a solo that beats Stairway's?
starship trooper (yes) has a better solo, in my opinion. in wurm, the bit at the end. it's fantastic.

it's where the electric guitar comes in, is the part i'm thinking of. it starts off with the fingerpicking acoustic guitar, and then when the electric comes in with the Am7 chord there's this really lush chorus effect on it. it's quite nice. it's probably like halfway through the song. ("and it makes me wonder..." that part.)

and to this day i always start doing the air drums for when the drums come in like two or three verses too early. they REALLY make you wait for it!

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/19/06 at 7:49 pm

starship trooper (yes) has a better solo, in my opinion. in wurm, the bit at the end. it's fantastic.

it's where the electric guitar comes in, is the part i'm thinking of. it starts off with the fingerpicking acoustic guitar, and then when the electric comes in with the Am7 chord there's this really lush chorus effect on it. it's quite nice. it's probably like halfway through the song. ("and it makes me wonder..." that part.)

and to this day i always start doing the air drums for when the drums come in like two or three verses too early. they REALLY make you wait for it!

Yeah they always do that, Stairway makes you wait nearly 6 minutes

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/19/06 at 8:33 pm

Best part of Stairway?

The whole thing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 9:07 pm

I prefer the version of "Stairway to Heaven" by Tiny Tim & Brave Combo!

http://www.counterpoint-music.com/specialties/images/tinytim2.jpg

It's in an uptempo lounge-jazz style, with Tiny's notorious vocal range! Breathes new life into a tired old song!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/06 at 9:08 pm

My favorite part of BoRhap is the verse that begins:
"Mama, just killed a man..."

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/06 at 9:47 am

There are no best bits from these two songs, there are both pop classics.

Written By: whiteport on 05/21/06 at 5:05 pm

There are no best bits from these two songs, there are both pop classics.

Yeah I agree.

Written By: Tia on 05/21/06 at 6:00 pm

i think StH is better than BR.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 05/21/06 at 9:11 pm

i think StH is better than BR.

Agree. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/22/06 at 9:17 am

It's the very sound of rock 'n' roll perfection, my friend!

Written By: Tia on 05/22/06 at 10:04 am

It's the very sound of rock 'n' roll perfection, my friend!
i know i'm in the minority but it's too freebirdy for my tastes. and the solo is kinda... banal.

i like the tasty overdub guitar accents though -- like the slide guitar that comes in near the end of the solo and that little riff jimmy throws in on the low strings with that slight bend just before the song ends.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/22/06 at 10:38 am

i know i'm in the minority but it's too freebirdy for my tastes. and the solo is kinda... banal.

i like the tasty overdub guitar accents though -- like the slide guitar that comes in near the end of the solo and that little riff jimmy throws in on the low strings with that slight bend just before the song ends.

Yeah, the dressing does sort of making a little difference.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/06 at 12:31 pm

There again Rolf Harris has covered both of these classics, in his own style.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/23/06 at 3:53 am

There again Rolf Harris has covered both of these classics, in his own style.

Ah yes, who could forget Rolf Harris'...shall we say, unique rendition...

Who recalls his 1960 hit 'Tie me Kangaroo Down Sport?' I know it was a long time ago, but it's still a classic!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/06 at 3:54 am

Ah yes, who could forget Rolf Harris'...shall we say, unique rendition...

Who recalls his 1960 hit 'Tie me Kangaroo Down Sport?' I know it was a long time ago, but it's still a classic!
...and Rolf Harris is still going strong with concerts on the university circuit, played Glastonbury in the past few years. Apart from his usual art progammes on TV.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/23/06 at 4:02 am

I like both songs well (although they can be overplayed and even when you don't hear it, you can play it in your head because you've heard it so much). Yet, maybe the part I like about "Stairway to Heaven" is like what Tia (or Tony now) said - the jammin' guitars and drums. The beginning is good, but it can be a bit too long.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" is less raw. It has some beautiful vocals by Mercury, but he really is at his best at the beginning.

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/26/06 at 4:42 am

I like both songs well (although they can be overplayed and even when you don't hear it, you can play it in your head because you've heard it so much). Yet, maybe the part I like about "Stairway to Heaven" is like what Tia (or Tony now) said - the jammin' guitars and drums. The beginning is good, but it can be a bit too long.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" is less raw. It has some beautiful vocals by Mercury, but he really is at his best at the beginning.

Yeah, Stairway does make you wait a bit long. I think 'Whole Lotta Love' is as good as Stairway in many ways.

Written By: Zoso on 05/26/06 at 8:12 am

Stairway - the shouting/jamming in the last 2 minutes
Rhapsody - The heavy rock part ("so you think you can...etc")

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/06 at 12:00 pm

Stairway - the shouting/jamming in the last 2 minutes
Rhapsody - The heavy rock part ("so you think you can...etc")
"...saving his life, for his own sausages..."

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 3:49 am

If 'Stairway' was the anthem of the early 70s, and 'Bohemian' of the mid-70s, what do you think is the rock-epic anthem of the late 70s?

Written By: Bobby on 05/29/06 at 1:09 pm

The best of both songs is usually the relief I get when they have both finished in my opinion - both sprawling and far too long.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/29/06 at 4:17 pm

Yeah, Stairway does make you wait a bit long. I think 'Whole Lotta Love' is as good as Stairway in many ways.

I like "Whole Lotta Love" because it sounds like he's having wild, animal sex in it  ;D j/k (I had a Howard moment there)

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/29/06 at 10:32 pm

I like "Whole Lotta Love" because it sounds like he's having wild, animal sex in it  ;D j/k (I had a Howard moment there)

Apparently, there was supposed to be a 'simulation of a woman having an orgasm' in the track somewhere, but I'm yet to find it (not that I spend all my time looking for things like that, lol).  ???

Check for new replies or respond here...