inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Poseidon Adventure (1972)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/25/06 at 2:30 pm

With the new remake of the Poseidon Adventure in theatres now. What are your thoughts on this early '70s action/disaster movie?

I was rewatching it on AMC last night with my boyfriend and it was fun. Who can deny all that star power clumped in one movie!?

Oh - and what about "The Morning After?" A great song!

Subject: Re: Poseidon Adventure (1972)

Written By: star500 on 05/25/06 at 3:26 pm

I very much liked the first Poseidon movie. I did have a few problems with it though. The characters in the movie whined too much and complained too much and fought a lot. It's like, knock it off and get on with the movie and quit fighting all the time. I did like the song in the first movie, "The Morning After" but found it a little too slow and a tad dull. One thing that was better about the original was that it was much longer then the remake. The first movie was almost 2 hours and the remake was only 98 minutes! They could have made it so much longer.

I REALLY enjoyed the remake, which surprised me because I am not a big supporter of remakes. It was much faster-paced, more entertaining, the characters weren't quite so annoying and they worked more together and fought a lot less then in the first movie. Also the ending in this movie was much better then in the original. Also, the special effects were amazing!!!

So all in all, I enjoyed both movies for different reasons.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/25/06 at 4:01 pm

^ I am glad to know the new one is so short. It actually drives me insane when a movie drags for hours when they could easily tell it within an hour to an hour and a half (like the new remake).

Also, from your review, it sounds like it's worth putting out $8 to see. They're airing it on IMAX so we're going to trek over to Dublin and check it out in a few weeks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/06 at 5:58 pm

I remember when it came out-disaster films were the "in thing". (The Towering Inferno and Earthquake were known collectively as "Shake-n-Bake".) The movie itself was ok-not great, but ok. I did-and still do like the song. But WHY, WHY, WHY must Hollywood insist on recycling old scripts? Can't they come up with anything new?

Cat

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/25/06 at 6:08 pm

I remember when it came out-disaster films were the "in thing". (The Towering Inferno and Earthquake were known collectively as "Shake-n-Bake".) The movie itself was ok-not great, but ok. I did-and still do like the song. But WHY, WHY, WHY must Hollywood insist on recycling old scripts? Can't they come up with anything new?

Cat

Did Towering Inferno and Earthquake come out around 1974?
I've seen Inferno, but I don't remember seeing Earthquake. I like catching up on these movies. I have always skipped over a lot of '70s stuff because I always liked the classics pre-1970 so much. Now, I am changing my tune.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/06 at 6:15 pm

Did Towering Inferno and Earthquake come out around 1974?
I've seen Inferno, but I don't remember seeing Earthquake. I like catching up on these movies. I have always skipped over a lot of '70s stuff because I always liked the classics pre-1970 so much. Now, I am changing my tune.

Yup-both of them came out in '74.  I saw the Towering Inferno at the cimema but I don't think I ever saw Earthquake-not even when it came on T.V..

Cat

Written By: CeeKay on 05/25/06 at 11:02 pm

I very much liked the first Poseidon movie. I did have a few problems with it though. The characters in the movie whined too much and complained too much and fought a lot. It's like, knock it off and get on with the movie and quit fighting all the time.

I liked your reviews -- very nice.  I agree that the characters in the first movie were whiney.  I see it as a classic though....if only for the fact of having Shelly Winters and Ernest Borgnine together on the screen.

Haven't seen the new one yet.  I'll probably wait on that one.

Written By: Tia on 05/25/06 at 11:17 pm

the new movie's not all that bad, but it's kinda... grueling. gimme an old-timey disaster movie any day, where the acting's all wooden and the cruise ship looks like a toy boat in a bathtub. when it's all realistic it's just... kinda freaky.

Written By: robby76 on 05/27/06 at 12:00 pm

We used to play the beginning bit over and over as little kids in the early 80s. The people on tables, chandeliers and curtains strewn everywhere. And hearing "Auld Lang Syne" was never the same again. I love my 70s disaster movies too. We had so many on Betamax and VHS, especially all the aeroplane ones.

Written By: Tia on 05/27/06 at 12:52 pm

i like the one where the stewardess flies the plane.

Written By: vinyl lover on 05/29/06 at 11:53 pm

thats the spoof of disaster movies "Airplane"..that your talking about!......with the stewardess.....

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 1:01 am

To cash in on the remake, the original Poseidon Adventure is being shown on Channel4 this next weekend.

Written By: MidTennHitman on 05/30/06 at 10:51 am

"thats the spoof of disaster movies "Airplane"..that your talking about!......with the stewardess....."

vinyl, I think she's speaking of one of the "Airport" sequels, which were disaster films.......the original starred Charlton Heston, not sure about the subsequent sequels

Written By: Tia on 05/30/06 at 10:55 am

thats the spoof of disaster movies "Airplane"..that your talking about!......with the stewardess.....
airplane was spoofing the airport movie with the stewardess. i think it was airport '77.

airport '79 is way funnier than airplane. that movie is so prespammersite!

http://www.popmatters.com/film/reviews/a/airplane-dont-call-dvd.shtml

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/30/06 at 11:15 am

I have never experienced it myself but I have heard that around the time that all those Airport movies came out, some idiot thought it would be a good idea to show them as the in-flight movies on planes.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Tia on 05/30/06 at 11:22 am

I have never experienced it myself but I have heard that around the time that all those Airport movies came out, some idiot thought it would be a good idea to show them as the in-flight movies on planes.  ::)

Cat
ha! I watched "flight plan" on a flight recently. Loved it.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/30/06 at 2:13 pm

With the new remake of the Poseidon Adventure in theatres now. What are your thoughts on this early '70s action/disaster movie?

I was rewatching it on AMC last night with my boyfriend and it was fun. Who can deny all that star power clumped in one movie!?

Oh - and what about "The Morning After?" A great song!

I like the original movie (as you said, great cast!)...but I honestly don't care too much for Maureen McGovern's hit song from that...

Written By: Paul on 05/30/06 at 2:16 pm

I like the original movie (as you said, great cast!)...but I honestly don't care too much for Maureen McGovern's hit song from that...

I've a feeling (without looking it up!) that it won that year's Oscar for the best song...

It must have been a weak field...!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 2:21 pm

I've a feeling (without looking it up!) that it won that year's Oscar for the best song...

"The Morning After" from The Poseidon Adventure won Best Original Song in 1972.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/30/06 at 2:26 pm

I could think of lots of songs from that year that were so much better!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 2:35 pm

I could think of lots of songs from that year that were so much better!

The nominations for Best Song in 1972, with the winner* "The Morning After" from The Poseidon Adventure -- Music and Lyrics by Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn

"Ben" from Ben -- Music by Walter Scharf; Lyrics by Don Black 
"Come Follow, Follow Me" from The Little Ark -- Music by Fred Karlin; Lyrics by Marsha Karlin 
"Marmalade, Molasses & Honey" from The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean -- Music by Maurice Jarre; Lyrics by Marilyn Bergman and Alan Bergman 
"Strange Are the Ways of Love" from The Stepmother -- Music by Sammy Fain; Lyrics by Paul Francis Webster 

Written By: Paul on 05/30/06 at 2:38 pm

The nominations for Best Song in 1972, with the winner* "The Morning After" from The Poseidon Adventure -- Music and Lyrics by Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn

"Ben" from Ben -- Music by Walter Scharf; Lyrics by Don Black 
"Come Follow, Follow Me" from The Little Ark -- Music by Fred Karlin; Lyrics by Marsha Karlin 
"Marmalade, Molasses & Honey" from The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean -- Music by Maurice Jarre; Lyrics by Marilyn Bergman and Alan Bergman 
"Strange Are the Ways of Love" from The Stepmother -- Music by Sammy Fain; Lyrics by Paul Francis Webster 

Hm...looks like it was a weak field...!!

Mind you, some top composers making the cut...but apart from the ode to a rat, I can't readily place any of the others...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/06 at 2:42 pm

Hm...looks like it was a weak field...!!

Mind you, some top composers making the cut...but apart from the ode to a rat, I can't readily place any of the others...
Song composers known yes, but to ask me to whistle any of the songs (apart from Ben) will defeat me.

Subject: Poseidon Adventure (1972)

Written By: Dude111 on 12/20/17 at 10:27 pm

Much better than that crap remake!!!!!!!

I have it on VHS (Magnetic Video - 1979 release) and its goregous!!!

I saw the remake and was disgusted how they kept focusing on womens breasts all thru it. TOTALLY DISGUSTING!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...