inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Being there - 1979

Written By: Bobby on 06/08/06 at 11:48 am

I will open up your forum if you wish, Tia, by reviewing the film 'Being there' featuring Peter Sellers, Shirley McClaine and Melvyn Douglas based on the book by Jerzy Kosinski.

The plot line involves a gardener called Chance who has lived reclusively in a house all his life until the owner passes away. I believe his character is autistic and is a compulsive television watcher - this is his only representation of life outside the house. Chance dresses up in clothes left behind by his owner and only takes with him a remote control. His adventures start when he gets injured by a parking limousine which belongs to Eve Rand the wife of industrialist Benjamin Rand.

This film is a brilliant satire of communication and the way people interpret others - fine examples include Chance's altercation with a street gang, Chance's literal ideas of gardening being misconstrued as a way to achieve economic success and the innocent, but suggestive, statement made to Eve stating 'He likes to watch'.

Sellers and Douglas are impeccable as Chance and Ben Rand respectively. As Chance, Sellers delivers his dead-pan simpleness consistently throughout the entire film while, in contrast, your heart warms at Ben's empathy and passion despite reaching the final months of his life. McClaine does her best with the character of Eve, a lady who married into money but now yearning for the youth that Sellers embodies.

The ending is a bit of a puzzle and is open to interpretation - however, it is probably one of the masterstrokes of the film.

The only criticism is that 'Being there' is quite long and deliberately paced (at a stonking 2 hours and 10 minutes). Anybody into action films will probably be too impatient to last the distance which is a shame because the film satisfies on a deep level.

All in all, I award this film 8/10.  :)

Subject: Re: Being there - 1979

Written By: Tia on 06/08/06 at 1:25 pm

being there is an amazing movie. one of the things i like most about the feel of the time movie-wise is the willingness to have mellow pacing, which really gives performances a chance to breathe and develop and the movie a chance to create a mood.

Written By: Bobby on 06/08/06 at 2:55 pm

being there is an amazing movie. one of the things i like most about the feel of the time movie-wise is the willingness to have mellow pacing, which really gives performances a chance to breathe and develop and the movie a chance to create a mood.

That's right.

A 'Chance' to create a mood? Was that an intentional pun? Lol.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/06 at 1:20 am

A charming film and sad for Peter Sellers was to died shortly after making it.

Written By: Bobby on 06/09/06 at 5:21 pm

A charming film and sad for Peter Sellers was to died shortly after making it.

I think he was ill while making the film.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl Guest on 07/01/06 at 9:17 am

He was indeed very ill while making this delightful film. He actually had a full on heart attack on set and was cut open by medicos and had his heart massaged back to normal in from of the cast and crew.  One of Shirley Maclaines memoirs has a very detailed chapter about this event as it deeply affected her.

Written By: Bobby on 07/03/06 at 5:13 am

He was indeed very ill while making this delightful film. He actually had a full on heart attack on set and was cut open by medicos and had his heart massaged back to normal in from of the cast and crew.  One of Shirley Maclaines memoirs has a very detailed chapter about this event as it deeply affected her.

Really? I knew Sellers was ill but . . . blimey.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/06 at 11:42 am

First time I have heard that PS needed open heart massage on set, if so, being a true PS fan, I should investigate this more.

Written By: Tia on 07/03/06 at 8:47 pm

they had the pink panther movie on in the UK the other day, whichever the one is where the chief goes insane and steals the doomsday ray and threatens to blow up england unless he's given clouseau.

"...but sir, zat ees not my dog!"

was peter sellers a big drinker or anything? why was his heart so weak? it would be so great if he was still alive, he'd probably be getting roles like peter fonda in "on golden pond" or jason robards in "magnolia."

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/06 at 1:39 am

they had the pink panther movie on in the UK the other day, whichever the one is where the chief goes insane and steals the doomsday ray and threatens to blow up england unless he's given clouseau.

"...but sir, zat ees not my dog!"

was peter sellers a big drinker or anything? why was his heart so weak? it would be so great if he was still alive, he'd probably be getting roles like peter fonda in "on golden pond" or jason robards in "magnolia."
Peter Sellers used to take pills to enhanced his performance when partaking in ladies and gentlemans and these pills may had weaken the heart.

Written By: Tia on 07/04/06 at 3:29 am

that's right! i'd heard he was quite the sex fiend. oh, well, i wish he'd just done it regular, then he'd still be around to make it with swedish twins and dreamy soccer stars and give us a few more movies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/06 at 11:50 am

that's right! i'd heard he was quite the sex fiend. oh, well, i wish he'd just done it regular, then he'd still be around to make it with swedish twins and dreamy soccer stars and give us a few more movies.
I have always wondered what Peter Sellers would be doing if he was still alive today, probably on the interview circuit and occassional cameo roles in films, it is sad his passing was so soon.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/08/06 at 6:01 am

First time I have heard that PS needed open heart massage on set, if so, being a true PS fan, I should investigate this more.

I have just been digging through my boxes of books as I couldnt remember which of Shirleys books mentions the story. I have all her books so the chapters do tend to blur into all one big book.  I am pretty sure it was in Its All In The Playing but it could be in My Lucky Stars.

I have always wondered what Peter Sellers would be doing if he was still alive today, probably on the interview circuit and occassional cameo roles in films, it is sad his passing was so soon.

Personally I think he would have become a recluse. He had all the tendencies of one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/06 at 6:03 am

Personally I think he would have become a recluse. He had all the tendencies of one.
...in Switzerland.

Check for new replies or respond here...