inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: DUEL!

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/06 at 3:50 am

Does anyone else love the 1971 TV movie Duel?

Dennis Weaver plays a man who is pursued down the highway by an unknown truck driver.  Thrills, Chills, Suspense, Mystery, Action .. It's all here and it's excellent.  I loved every moment in this movie O0

This movie is also best known as the breakthrough for Director Steven Spirlberg

http://www.jahsonic.com/DuelPoster.jpg

Subject: Re: DUEL!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/06 at 6:15 am

I saw this on the cinema screen during a retrospective on Steven Spirlberg. The screen ratio was that as a normal movie for the day and not a then TV screen size, and in some sequences Spirlberg can be seen sitting in the back seat directing the film, not noticeable on TV but seen on the karger screen.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/11/06 at 4:10 pm

Yeah, me and a high school friend of mine mocked\loved this movie so much that we would imitate some of the parts during our roadtrips.

Written By: jackas on 06/12/06 at 6:43 am

I knew I would find this here. ;D  This movie is pure toture!!!!!  Dennis Weaver is a pussy who gets chased by a crazy truckdriver through the whole movie.  Why he doesn't attemt to turn around and head toward home is beyond me.  I hate this movie with every fiber of my being.  I watch it everytime it comes on. ;D ;D

Written By: zcrito on 06/15/06 at 7:56 pm

I knew I would find this here. ;D  This movie is pure toture!!!!!  Dennis Weaver is a pussy who gets chased by a crazy truckdriver through the whole movie.  Why he doesn't attemt to turn around and head toward home is beyond me.  I hate this movie with every fiber of my being.  I watch it everytime it comes on. ;D ;D

"Dennis Weaver is a pussy who gets chased by a crazy truckdriver through the whole movie.  Why he doesn't attemt to turn around and head toward home is beyond me."

Huh?
He doesn't turn around since he's gotta fight "the dragon" (or his demon). That ain't no pussy, but the car was...

Duel is one of my favs of Steven Spielberg.

Written By: Davester on 06/19/06 at 6:15 am

Throwing Duel on the DVD player is always a pleasure.  I never tire of watching it and always catch myself clutching the arm rests of my recliner by the ending.

Thing is, this is such a quality production for a TV "Movie of the Week"...  Didn't Spielberg intend Duel for the big screen?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/06 at 2:11 pm

Throwing Duel on the DVD player is always a pleasure.  I never tire of watching it and always catch myself clutching the arm rests of my recliner by the ending.

Thing is, this is such a quality production for a TV "Movie of the Week"...  Didn't Spielberg intend Duel for the big screen?
Yes, Spielberg did intend it for the big screen, as mentioned in hte above post, he shot it in the normal cinema screen ratio, than that of the TV screen.

Written By: zcrito on 06/19/06 at 8:02 pm

Yes, Spielberg did intend it for the big screen, as mentioned in hte above post, he shot it in the normal cinema screen ratio, than that of the TV screen.

Are you sure about that?

I thought he was more interested in making a name for himself and it was probably a full year before they added the few minutes intro (leaving the house and driving down the streets before reaching the interstates), to it and turned it into a pay-to-see movie.

You may be right though. I'll check.

Written By: jackas on 06/20/06 at 2:25 pm

Here's a description off of SpilebergFilms.com.  BTW, henpecked = big effing wuss.

Before there were the rampaging horrors of the Great White shark or the T. rex, there was a 40-ton truck. "Duel," which was made for television in 1971, is the first indication of great things to come from the young 24-year-old director.

The teleplay for "Duel" by genre luminary Richard Matheson is based on his short story published in the April 1971 issue of Playboy. The idea came to Matheson in 1963, on the already tense weekend when President Kennedy was assassinated, when a trucker dangerously cut him off on a California freeway. By Matheson using this personal experience, he tapped into an auto-obsessed society's fear of death on the roads at the hands of a mad motorist, a phenomenon that would later be so widespread as to earn the trendy catch phrase "road rage."

Steven Spielberg

Written By: zcrito on 06/20/06 at 5:12 pm

Here's a description off of SpilebergFilms.com.   BTW, henpecked = big effing wuss.

Sorry but from the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary...

Main Entry: hen

Written By: jackas on 06/20/06 at 5:42 pm

Sorry but from the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary...

Main Entry: hen

Check for new replies or respond here...