inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why I Don't Like the 70s Board

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/06 at 4:46 am

I know some will just say 'too bad', but I the 70s board has just become 'one thread - one artist' - what's your favourite **** song, blah blah. But anyway, that's why I don't frequent this board half as much as I used to...

Subject: Re: Why I Don't Like the 70s Board

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/17/06 at 4:49 am

Should we start up a few "Decadeology" type threads in here then?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/06 at 5:12 am

Yes, we probably should.  :)

Written By: Happy Girl on 06/17/06 at 6:22 am

I know some will just say 'too bad', but I the 70s board has just become 'one thread - one artist' - what's your favourite **** song, blah blah. But anyway, that's why I don't frequent this board half as much as I used to...

agreed.. I thought I had found a fun place to visit, but its simply a list of songs people listened to today.  Oh well.. rally on.... :(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/17/06 at 1:16 pm

You're right, I am going to say "too bad".  You don't need to say why you don't like coming here. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 1:01 am

agreed.. I thought I had found a fun place to visit, but its simply a list of songs people listened to today.  Oh well.. rally on.... :(

At least some one is speaking some sense. Too bad it's only a guest.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/18/06 at 2:17 am

At least some one is speaking some sense. Too bad it's only a guest.

Let me ask you this:  What did you hope to accomplish from starting a thread saying why you think this particular board sucks?  This board is more than just a thread where people post what 70s song they're listening to at the moment.  If you think something's lacking.....start some threads. 

This whole thread seems like a non-issue, to be honest.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/06 at 2:21 am

May be it is down to the age factor here. I did live through the 70s and can easily contribute towards some discussions on that board. Also I do listen to a lot of 70s music.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 5:33 am

Let me ask you this:  What did you hope to accomplish from starting a thread saying why you think this particular board sucks?  This board is more than just a thread where people post what 70s song they're listening to at the moment.  If you think something's lacking.....start some threads. 

Just trying to get people to be more creative with their topics...but I guess there aren't enough people who grew up in the 70s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 5:34 am

May be it is down to the age factor here. I did live through the 70s and can easily contribute towards some discussions on that board. Also I do listen to a lot of 70s music.

I'd love to hear about your experience growing up in the 70s, Phillip.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/06 at 5:36 am

I'd love to hear about your experience growing up in the 70s, Phillip.  :)
In general terms, just follow my posts/replies, I do mentioned my experiences back then from time to time.

Written By: happygirl on 06/18/06 at 9:12 am

Hi again, Im not a guest I just didnt log in..
I dont want this to seem gripey.. I think this is a great place to pop in for some nostalgia and I do appreciate the information provided here.  Its a rather closed environment thats all.  Ive attempted to add to or start threads with little or no response.  All is well though, no malice.  I was a kid in the 70s I just came here to get a laugh on how silly that decade was.  I hate that "this sucks' theory, if it did I wouldnt peer in occasionally.  Its just somewhat like stopping by someones house uninvited.

Written By: fishryc on 06/18/06 at 11:23 am

If you look at it, the whole first page is all about music and song topics. Maybe that means that music was a very important part of the lives of people whom grew up in the 1970's. I was born in 1961, so I did grow up in the 70's. We did spend much time going to concerts, listening to, and buying LP's. However, the music that I personally listened to is never really discussed. (Probably my top 10 bands of that era are, and not really in any order: King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Genesis before Phil Collins, Yes, Emmerson, Lake, and Palmer, Lou Reed, Brian Eno, and on a very different note: Ramones, Talking Heads, and 801.

Written By: Davester on 06/19/06 at 6:48 am

Just trying to get people to be more creative with their topics...but I guess there aren't enough people who grew up in the 70s.

More creative topics?  You haven't been at the Decades Board long, have you..?  The boards are beginning to look more like a Clearasil convention on a Saturday night in a 7-11 parking lot than a retrospective discussion...

Like Sis said, one does not need bother posting one's disapproval with any topic/forum...just ignore it and go on with your life...

Thanks!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 8:12 am

More creative topics?  You haven't been at the Decades Board long, have you..?  The boards are beginning to look more like a Clearasil convention on a Saturday night in a 7-11 parking lot than a retrospective discussion...

Like Sis said, one does not need bother posting one's disapproval with any topic/forum...just ignore it and go on with your life...

Thanks!

I've been here since February 2005, so I think I have a very good idea of the history of the decades boards.

Written By: Tia on 06/19/06 at 10:07 am

yeah, all the decades threads seem to be about polls and quizzes and such. PPP and the politics board seem to be where most of th interesting stuff happens.
i personally would be down with seeing more hsitorical stuff

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 10:09 am

yeah, all the decades threads seem to be about polls and quizzes and such. PPP and the politics board seem to be where most of th interesting stuff happens.

Written By: karen on 06/19/06 at 10:23 am

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/19/06 at 10:29 am

I've come across many threads and forums that I haven't found particularly interesting, yet the thought of presumptuously informing the board of this fact in order to "get people to be more creative with their topics" has never occurred to me.

Written By: Tia on 06/19/06 at 10:38 am

So start a thread on it
kinda busy at work today, i might do something about politics and movies on my cry of the penguins board. but i'm still behind on my soundbite quiz!

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 10:43 am

I've come across many threads and forums that I haven't found particularly interesting, yet the thought of presumptuously informing the board of this fact in order to "get people to be more creative with their topics" has never occurred to me.

your point being... ???

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/19/06 at 10:53 am

your point being... ???

That telling everyone you don't like the forum is a little presumptuous. Who cares if you don't like the '70s forum? Do you think this thread is more interesting than the ones you're complaining about? Most people simply contribute one or two threads that do interest them, or they move along to another forum.

Written By: Loven1 on 06/19/06 at 7:20 pm

NO THANKS!  ;D

The other boards are clogged up with nothing but "Decadeology" threads - it's to the point that you don't discuss what actually happened in the decade itself anymore!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/19/06 at 7:48 pm

Maybe if more people started threads that dealt with issues other than music, this board might be a little more well-rounded.  I just started a thread that I think could get some good replies and some good coversation.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/19/06 at 8:12 pm

Maybe it's because there are some things he may not be able to relate to directly with the '70s. I once made a thread asking why Donnie Darko never discusses the '70s or focuses on that heavily, and he just said, (I believe) that he just doesn't have an interest in it at the moment.

Who knows..

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/19/06 at 8:17 pm

Maybe it's because there are some things he may not be able to relate to directly with the '70s. I once made a thread asking why Donnie Darko never discusses the '70s or focuses on that heavily, and he just said, (I believe) that he just doesn't have an interest in it at the moment.

Who knows..

I can't relate directly to the 70s because I was born in 82, but I can talk about the decade and discuss what happened during the decade.  There's plenty of people here who remember the 70s very well, so start a thread and hope that people from all ages can come in and post what they know.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 11:47 pm

I can't relate directly to the 70s because I was born in 82, but I can talk about the decade and discuss what happened during the decade.  There's plenty of people here who remember the 70s very well, so start a thread and hope that people from all ages can come in and post what they know.

Of course I was born 16 years too late for the 70s, but I am absolutely fanatical about it. The whole look, the feel, the 'vibe' - it's probably no secret I'd probably go back in time 35 years if I could. I know alot of people my age who hold an equal fascination for the 70s.

Written By: fishryc on 06/25/06 at 2:54 pm

Hi Sis M.!
I'm just wondering what you mean by "There's plenty of people here who remember the 70's very well".  How can people "from all ages" and, that haven't lived the 1970's, and again as you say, "Remember" the the 70's very well"?
This is not an attack on your post; I just wish to understand a bit better. Please explain further, Sister Morphine.
Thank you
S

Written By: Brian Mannix Girl Guest on 07/01/06 at 1:48 am

Hi Sis M.!
I'm just wondering what you mean by "There's plenty of people here who remember the 70's very well".  How can people "from all ages" and, that haven't lived the 1970's, and again as you say, "Remember" the the 70's very well"?
This is not an attack on your post; I just wish to understand a bit better. Please explain further, Sister Morphine.
Thank you
S

What part of it didnt make sense to you ? She was simply saying that a lot of board members were around in the 70s and that we are "of all ages" and yes many of us were born before the 70s and therefor remember the 70s well.

There seems to be an assumption by those under 25 that they are the only members on forums and message boards. I encounter this here as well as many other forums out there in the world wide web.

This forum has a huge population and an extremely varied age group.

As for Trimac announcing his dislike for a forum. I find that rather self serving, presumptuous and childish. If you dont like a forum or the topics posted by its members - go build one yourself somewhere else. This is Chucky's board not yours.

I've been here since February 2005, so I think I have a very good idea of the history of the decades boards.

What an old timer - not ! There are people who have been posting here for 6 years or more.

Never mistake a post count for maturity or time spent somewhere.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/01/06 at 1:58 am

Hi Sis M.!
Thank you
S

The name's Beth.

And further more, you don't have to have lived through the 70s in order to talk about it.  If you had bothered to actually read the post I made, you would have seen that I said that no matter what age you are or what decades you lived through, there are bound to be some aspects of the 70s everyone can talk about.  Sports, music, movies, clothes, TV, politics, etc.  So I asked the person to start a thread and let people just discuss.  No one holds a monopoly on information about any one thing.

Written By: berger on 07/01/06 at 11:24 am

I love the 70's board!
I pop in here to discuss the exact thing you think we shouldn't
I want to talk about the toys, the music, the movies and the feeling that surrounded growing up in the 70's
I was born in 1962 and the late 60's and the 70"s were my childhood and teenage years
Very happy memories.

If I want to discuss deep topics as how the gas crisis affected the 70's or the Vietnam war or Wategate I'll go to the P&R forum
But hey, feel free to start any thread you feel you'd like to discuss.

Check for new replies or respond here...