inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remember When?....

Written By: loki 13 on 06/18/06 at 12:50 pm

Take a trip down memory lane. Do You Remember When there were no computers,
no cell phones, and no cable TV. To occupy the youthful mind, entertainment was
made up and outdoors. Do you remember the rallying cry," olly, olly, ox-in free" meant
a game was about to happen, whether it was Baseball, Basketball, Soccer or Football. It
could mean, Jailbreak, Kick The Can, Break The Gate, Wireball, stoopball or just Kill The
Man with The Ball.

Do you remember,indoor activities included board games, such as Ker-Plunk, Break the Ice,
Sorry, Parcheesi, operation, or monopoly. Maybe it was G.I. Joe with the Kung Fu Grip,or
Johnny West and Butch Cavendish, Hot Wheels or Match Box.

Do you remember peace signs and bell bottoms, bare feet and long hair. How about
leisure suits and silk shirts, of course it was synthetic silk. Wide collars and platform shoes,
and the ever popular, home made tie-dyed jeans.

Now, let us know, what do you remember?

Subject: Re: Remember When?....

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/18/06 at 1:46 pm

I remember when we had only CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS.

I remember games of hopscotch, Chinese jumprope, jacks, and playing house.  Hide and Seek, Red Light-Green Light 123, and Mother May I.  Playing with Barbies for hours was a favorite activity.  Hula hoops and Hippity Hop.

I remember running after the ice cream man yelling "WAIT" at the top of my lungs.  Eating hotdogs cooked on the grill and dixie cups of Tang. 

Leaving the house at 10 AM and not coming back until dinner, and my mother didn't worry where I was.

I remember sundresses, pigtails and flipflops, my first (and only) bikini! 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/18/06 at 1:54 pm

I remember having to be home when the street lights came on. I also remember turning our bikes over and cranking the pedals and pretending it was an ice cream machine. Going bike riding with a helmet, elbow/knee pads. Knowing just about everyone who lived on the block.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 06/18/06 at 2:06 pm

Yes, I remember the Ice Cream man, Mr. Softee or Jack & Jill. We also had the
Waffle man, sold Belgian waffles with powdered sugar, the Clothes Prop Man,
do you remember clothes props,and The Knife Sharpening guy. We also had
pony rides, fire engine rides, and the whip, a carnival ride, all would drive down
the street at least once a week.

The milkman, breadman, and dry cleaning all door to door service. Doctors made
house calls. As a child, you were sent to the store for cigarettes.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/18/06 at 7:25 pm

Yes, we had the knife guy too. We rode the whip and they gave out icepops when the ride ended.  There was a guy with a horse and cart that all the kids would pile into for a ride around the neighborhood.

I'd walk around the block with my grandpa to look at the PINK house (only house in the neighborhood that was painted bright pink).  My grandpa would find coins along the way and we'd put them into the "green box" when he got home.

The milkman was not around anymore but everyone still had the little metal boxes on the front porch. 

Any time I was sick the doctor would come to my house, once we even had a woman doctor!  My parents gave us coke syrup for upset stomachs. 

Written By: loki 13 on 06/18/06 at 7:41 pm

Any time I was sick the doctor would come to my house, once we even had a woman doctor!  My parents gave us coke syrup for upset stomachs. 

The cola syrup, We had this stuff called Drink-A-Toast. God,that stuff was aweful.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/19/06 at 10:47 am

I remember being able to walk home from school without worry.  Covering miles of territory in my bike without ever leaving the neighborhood, having Big Wheel Races up and down the street. Listening to AM radio and my brothers and I were the remote control for my dad.  We were the ones who changed the channel.  Of course we only had a few to change.  :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 10:50 am

I never lived in the 70s, but feel as if I did. That's how nostalgia soaked my brain is with the 70s - that I 'make up' memories I wish I had. In this pretend history, I recall riding on my rusty ol' bike with my pals without helmets, listening to Disco, wearing a fro', wearing leather and spikes in the punk-era of the late 70s. I remember my pet rock, watching the Mary Tyler Moore Show, getting down on the dance-floor...

Written By: Tia on 06/19/06 at 11:04 am

I used to use two dominos to bat a third domino back and forth on a tile floor and pretend I was playing "pong," because my folks refused to buy the actual game.

I remember we only had the main networks, PBS and a couple of independent stations. My folks took the VHF knob off the t.v. so I could only watch public t.v., little suspecting that channels 20, 45, and 56 were loaded with lots of depravity and Godzilla movies and night of the living dead and stuff.

I used to flip over my bike and spin the pedals as fast as I could with my hand, just to see how fast I could make the wheels go.

I remember "disco sucks" bumper stickers on every other car. And Seymour and the sea monsters.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 11:09 am

I used to use two dominos to bat a third domino back and forth on a tile floor and pretend I was playing "pong," because my folks refused to buy the actual game.

I remember we only had the main networks, PBS and a couple of independent stations. My folks took the VHF knob off the t.v. so I could only watch public t.v., little suspecting that channels 20, 45, and 56 were loaded with lots of depravity and Godzilla movies and night of the living dead and stuff.

I used to flip over my bike and spin the pedals as fast as I could with my hand, just to see how fast I could make the wheels go.

I remember "disco sucks" bumper stickers on every other car. And Seymour and the sea monsters.

How old are you Tia? (if you don't mind my asking)

Written By: Tia on 06/19/06 at 11:15 am

How old are you Tia? (if you don't mind my asking)
I've been 25 for 12 years.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 11:20 am

I've been 25 for 12 years.

37 then?

Written By: Tia on 06/19/06 at 11:25 am

259 in dog years.

Written By: Tia on 06/19/06 at 11:51 am

I remember hifis with diamond needles and vacuum tubes and that warm analog sound.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/19/06 at 12:12 pm

Seymour and the Sea Monsters - I remember that too. What about H.R. Puff - N - Stuff?  I loved that show as a kid!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/06 at 12:19 pm

I remember our old B&W that we had to turn on by plugging it in (since the on/off knob was broken off), had to turn the channel (all 4 of them-and maybe a few UHF channels) with a pair of pliers, and had a hanger in place of the rabbit ears because they went the same place as the knobs.  ;D ;D  I was so happy went we finally got a new t.v.-color to boot. We were really moving up in the world.  ;D ;D

I also remember sitting on the top of the back seat on my dad's convertable. You wouldn't DARE do that today.

Records with pops and skips in them. To this day, I will still "hear" a skip on the music that we had on record that I have replaced on CD. It was like those skips were part of the song.

Cat

Written By: Tia on 06/19/06 at 12:20 pm

Seymour and the Sea Monsters - I remember that too. What about H.R. Puff - N - Stuff?  I loved that show as a kid!!
i watched S&SM recently and it's -- rather dreadful. ditto electrawoman and dynagirl.

land of the lost, on the other hand, is AMAZING. i LOVE it!

HR puff is on my queue. ditto lidsville.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/06 at 12:23 pm

i watched S&SM recently and it's -- rather dreadful. ditto electrawoman and dynagirl.

I used to watch Electrawoman and Dynagirl. Yeah, it was pretty stupid but I loved it at the time. I also LOVED Lidsville. Haven't seen it in DECADES. I'm sure I will think it is pretty stupid now. Never got into H.R. Puff-N-Stuff. Those dudes who wrote that were definately on SOMETHING!!

Cat

Written By: wndysbg on 06/19/06 at 2:05 pm

Oh - I forgot about Land of the Lost - that was a great one!!

Written By: Tia on 06/19/06 at 2:25 pm

they're remaking it. sorry, will farrell can never take the place of spence milligan.

spence!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0457400/

Written By: wndysbg on 06/19/06 at 5:55 pm

they're remaking it. sorry, will farrell can never take the place of spence milligan.

spence!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0457400/

Will Farrell?!?!?!  He does not fit in with Land of the Lost - sorry - but no!

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/19/06 at 6:37 pm

And Seymour and the sea monsters.

Actually it was called Sigmond and the Sea monsters.

I watched all of the Sid and Marty Krofft shows.  Remember The Bugaloos? How about The Lost Saucer with Ruth Buzzi and Jim Nabors?

Written By: Tia on 06/20/06 at 11:45 am

I watched all of the Sid and Marty Krofft shows.  Remember The Bugaloos? How about The Lost Saucer with Ruth Buzzi and Jim Nabors?
That was it. Sigmund.

DOOD.

http://www.70slivekidvid.com/ark/ark2intro.gif

I freaked out the other day when kkay sent me this link. I'd totally forgotten about ark ii and lost saucer. I used to watch them both CONSTANTLY.

http://www.70slivekidvid.com/

Written By: wndysbg on 06/20/06 at 11:48 am

Yes, yes - I remember all those great shows. Do you remember how each year they use to have specials that would show previews of the new and upcoming Saturday morning shows?  We would always watch it as a family and discuss which shows looked good and which ones didn't

Written By: Just Visiting Tia on 06/20/06 at 2:12 pm

Yes, yes - I remember all those great shows. Do you remember how each year they use to have specials that would show previews of the new and upcoming Saturday morning shows?  We would always watch it as a family and discuss which shows looked good and which ones didn't
http://www.retrojunk.com/list_tvshows/1970/pop-1/

this site is pretty amazing. you should check it out.

Written By: Davester on 06/20/06 at 3:50 pm

Yes Loki, I do remember all that...

I remember a Saturday morning ritual involving setting up camp in front of the wood console Zenith with a bowl of milk and a box of Cocoa Puffs...

I remember periodically staring at the Lava Lamp during reruns of Alice, Hee Haw and The Jeffersons...

I remember all the neighborhood moms standing on their porches and calling us home from our play at dusk every day, seemingly all at the same time...

I also remember my best friend's mom chasing him home with "The Belt" when he failed to respond to said calls...

I distinctly remember (I don't know why) hearing ELO's "Telephone Line" on the radio while sitting in the car waiting for it to warm-up on a chilly school morning...

I remember making a conscious effort not to miss a single episode of The Muppet Show...and never did...

I remember my dad dropping by occasionally and smelling beer and incense when he hugged me...

I remember where I was, what I was doing and even what program was on TV when the hospital called to inform my gramps that grandma had passed away...

I remember the United States' Bicentennial birthday...

I remember when a day was much, much longer, a week forever and a month nearly uncomprehensible...

I remember the world being much, much larger bigger than it seems to be now...

Written By: Tia on 06/20/06 at 4:23 pm

i remember the bicentennial. they had bicentennial grocery bags.

Written By: loki 13 on 06/20/06 at 4:47 pm

Bicentennial quarters that everyone hoarded when they got their hands on one thinking
they would be worth something, they are.....25 cents.

Major League Baseball wearing those stupid bicentennial hats.

Written By: Tia on 06/20/06 at 5:00 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=15884;type=avatar

i remember having this on vinyl back in those witch mountain, bicentennial days.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/20/06 at 5:49 pm

If I go way back I can remember the rag man who had a cart and horse. 
Chickens in the back yard.
Electric streetcars and sometimes the overhead cable would slip off and the driver had to get out and pull a rope to reseat it.
The milkman and garbageman( separate from trashman)
Policeman walking the beat, even in our very tame neighborhood.
The local druggist as subsitute for the doctor.
The doctor making house visits.
Teachers required to make at least one home visit to each students house.
The guy around the corner with the full dress Harley, my first real love, the bike not the quy, I was all of 4 years old and would wait for it to go by.
Being invited to the neighbors house to watch color TV.
A new tv show-Captain Kangaroo
The Today Show every morning with Dave Garroway, Jack Lescoulie, and Hugh Downs

Written By: wndysbg on 06/20/06 at 5:55 pm

Yes Loki, I do remember all that...

I remember a Saturday morning ritual involving setting up camp in front of the wood console Zenith with a bowl of milk and a box of Cocoa Puffs...

I remember periodically staring at the Lava Lamp during reruns of Alice, Hee Haw and The Jeffersons...

I remember all the neighborhood moms standing on their porches and calling us home from our play at dusk every day, seemingly all at the same time...

I also remember my best friend's mom chasing him home with "The Belt" when he failed to respond to said calls...

I distinctly remember (I don't know why) hearing ELO's "Telephone Line" on the radio while sitting in the car waiting for it to warm-up on a chilly school morning...

I remember making a conscious effort not to miss a single episode of The Muppet Show...and never did...

I remember my dad dropping by occasionally and smelling beer and incense when he hugged me...

I remember where I was, what I was doing and even what program was on TV when the hospital called to inform my gramps that grandma had passed away...

I remember when a day was much, much longer, a week forever and a month nearly uncomprehensible...

I remember the world being much, much larger bigger than it seems to be now...

Great memories Davester!  Takes me back in time to those fun filled never ending days

Written By: Darkbreed on 06/20/06 at 6:02 pm

wow dad for you to have remember at this stuff it must mean you old.. :P

Written By: loki 13 on 06/20/06 at 6:37 pm

I remember being able to walk home from school without worry.  Covering miles of territory in my bike without ever leaving the neighborhood, having Big Wheel Races up and down the street. Listening to AM radio and my brothers and I were the remote control for my dad.  We were the ones who changed the channel.  Of course we only had a few to change.  :)

Big Wheels, we used to saw them in half and insert a 2x4 to enlongate them. Then pile
on as many kids that could fit and ride down the hill.

I too, was a channel changer VHF channels 3, 6, 10, 12 (PBS). UHF channels 17, 29, 48

Bicycles with Banana Seats and High Sissy Bars.

Pogo Sticks, Duncan Yo-Yo's

Who could forget Shrunken Heads. Carved out apples that you shrunk in the oven then
decorated them with hair and added a chain so you could wear it around your neck.

Mr. Potato Head that needed real potatoes

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/20/06 at 6:48 pm

LOL!!  I remember my mom opening up the front window and leaning out as far as she could, yelling "CAROL!!!  TIME TO COME HOME!!!!".

I remember the moms hanging out on the brick wall in front of my neighbor's house.  My mother alway had on a "house coat" and rollers in her hair, or it seemed like she did!

Oh yeah, the Bicentennial.  I remember the fire hydrants being painted like Minute-men or Flags.  I was in first grade (Ms. Tramutola's class!) and we put on a big Bicentennial production, I wore a long polyester dress in red, white and blue plaid and a hat made from a paper plate and streamers.  It's funny the things you remember!!

Written By: loki 13 on 06/20/06 at 9:20 pm

Waiting in line for gas, only able to buy gas on odd or even days, depending on your
license plate number. Only able to 5 dollars maximum in the tank at a time. yet gas,
was still under a dollar a gallon.

Swine Flu (1976-77), Russian Flu (1977-78)

Elvis dies of an OD

Three Mile Island Nuclear Accident, Ironically, soon after the release of the China Syndrome.

Mid East Peace Conferences.

50 Hostages in Iran.

Written By: Tia on 06/20/06 at 10:28 pm

I too, was a channel changer VHF channels 3, 6, 10, 12 (PBS). UHF channels 17, 29, 48

it's depraved i remember this -- we were 4 (NBC), 5 (FOX -- before that WTTG, an independent), 7 (CBS?), 9 (ABC?), 2, 11, and 13 were baltimore stations we could sorta get, then 20 (DC20, columbia), 22 and 26 were PBS stations, 45 (an independent, VERY cool), 50 (also independent, VERY cool), and 56 (independent, sometimes arty but sometimes also VERY cool). i liked those weird stations at the upper echelons the most, but it's messed up i remember that. it's like 25 years back. damned if i could tell you what our phone number was.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/21/06 at 4:37 pm

LOL!!  I remember my mom opening up the front window and leaning out as far as she could, yelling "CAROL!!!  TIME TO COME HOME!!!!".

I remember the moms hanging out on the brick wall in front of my neighbor's house.  My mother alway had on a "house coat" and rollers in her hair, or it seemed like she did!

Oh yeah, the Bicentennial.  I remember the fire hydrants being painted like Minute-men or Flags.  I was in first grade (Ms. Tramutola's class!) and we put on a big Bicentennial production, I wore a long polyester dress in red, white and blue plaid and a hat made from a paper plate and streamers.  It's funny the things you remember!!

The Bicentennial - I was in 4th grade and myself and 2 friends dressed up as American Revolutionarty soldiers.  You know the one where the three men are walking - one carrying a flag, one playing a drum and one playing a flute.  That was our Halloween costume. 

Written By: loki 13 on 06/21/06 at 8:54 pm

Remember when, as a young child running through a field at night with a mason jar catching
lightning bugs.

Then as an older mischievous child, take a whiffle bat to the same field at night and make
a poor mans light saber out of the little insects.

Packing four or more kids in the trunk of the car to sneak into the drive-in.

Remember when there were Five and Dime Stores and Penny Candy.

Did any one else play stick ball with "Pimple Balls."

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 9:02 pm

Packing four or more kids in the trunk of the car to sneak into the drive-in.

My lowrent of an ex made me do that one time....because he was too cheap-ass to pay for the both of us. ::)

Written By: loki 13 on 06/21/06 at 9:11 pm

My lowrent of an ex made me do that one time....because he was too cheap-ass to pay for the both of us. ::)

Is this why he's an ex?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/21/06 at 9:15 pm

Is this why he's an ex?

one of the many reasons that he is an ex! LOL! :D

Written By: loki 13 on 06/21/06 at 9:35 pm

I am sitting here watching "America's Got Talent." It seems like a glorified "Gong Show."

Remember the Gong Show with Chuck Barris, Panelist Jamie Farr, Jaye P. Morgan and Arte Johnson

How about other shows, Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, The Smothers Brothers, Sonny And Cher's
Comedy Hour, Carol Burnette, Hee-Haw and Love American Style.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/22/06 at 11:12 am

Waiting in line for gas, only able to buy gas on odd or even days, depending on your
license plate number. Only able to 5 dollars maximum in the tank at a time. yet gas,
was still under a dollar a gallon.

Swine Flu (1976-77), Russian Flu (1977-78)

Elvis dies of an OD

Three Mile Island Nuclear Accident, Ironically, soon after the release of the China Syndrome.

Mid East Peace Conferences.

50 Hostages in Iran.

I remember sitting in the car - in summer heat -  no a/c - with my mom waiting for gas.  Looking back my mom had to have the patience of a saint sitting in a hot car with three young kids waiting in line for a few gallons of gas.

I also remember Elvis dying.  My mom and dad both were shocked.  He was part of their teenage years - an icon for them.  I don't think my mom cried, but she was very upset.

I remember watching the Hostages being released the minute Ronald Regan was sworn in as President.  We were watching the ceremony at school and as soon as he took the oath of office, they flashed to the hostages who were then released.  A very poignant memory.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/06 at 11:24 am

Followed by the Pepsi Syndrome on SNL.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/22/06 at 1:09 pm

Elvis dies of an OD

It's funny, I remember exactly where I was when I learned of Elvis' death.  I was on vacation, Washington DC.  We were on a day trip to Mt. Vernon, while riding on the boat (ferry?  maybe), the captain came over the loudspeaker and told the passengers that Elvis had died.  Many women and men were crying when they heard the news, I didn't really understand since I was just a kid.

Written By: MidTennHitman on 06/22/06 at 2:01 pm

Having to get up to change from one of the four channels(ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS) to another on TV

Written By: wndysbg on 06/22/06 at 3:04 pm

It's funny, I remember exactly where I was when I learned of Elvis' death.  I was on vacation, Washington DC.  We were on a day trip to Mt. Vernon, while riding on the boat (ferry?  maybe), the captain came over the loudspeaker and told the passengers that Elvis had died.  Many women and men were crying when they heard the news, I didn't really understand since I was just a kid.

It's strange the things that are etched in our memory.  I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I learned of Elvis's death and I was only a kiid.  I can still close my eyes and see it as clearly as if it happened yesterday.  I think it was my mom's reaction that etched it so deeply in my mind.

Just like most of us will never forget where we were on 9/11 2001.  :(

Written By: danootaandme on 06/22/06 at 4:43 pm

Remember when there were Five and Dime Stores and Penny Candy.

Did any one else play stick ball with "Pimple Balls."

I remember pimple balls, and we used an old broomstick, or piece of a picket fence, or something like that a bat.
The corner store(Silvies, short for Mr Silverstein)had penny candy.  In the square there was Kresges, and Woolworths.

Written By: Tia on 06/23/06 at 9:10 am

i remember bikes where you stopped them by turning the pedals backward.

Written By: KKay on 06/23/06 at 9:32 am

rock was young.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/23/06 at 11:43 am

i remember when 7-11 was only open from 7:00 to 11:00 - not 24 hours

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/06 at 3:05 pm

I remember food sticks, Peter Max, Grand Way, Burger Chef, Pat Paulson for President, banana seats on bikes, AM radio, Chicken-De-Lite, drive-ins, W. T. Grants, Railroad Salvage (I have a few stories about this place  ::) ), Cousin Brucie, Bradlees, Robert Hall, Dancerina, Crissy/Velvet Dolls, Flatsies-just to name a few.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 06/23/06 at 3:21 pm

I remember pimple balls, and we used an old broomstick, or piece of a picket fence, or something like that a bat.
The corner store(Silvies, short for Mr Silverstein)had penny candy.  In the square there was Kresges, and Woolworths.

Mothers all across town were screaming mad because all they had in the utility closet was a
broom or mop bottom. All the handles were used at bats.

Written By: Davester on 06/23/06 at 4:04 pm

Mothers all across town were screaming mad because all they had in the utility closet was a
broom or mop bottom. All the handles were used at bats.

Yeah, that's right...

And all mom's dish towels became super hero capes...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/06 at 4:08 pm

Yeah, that's right...

And all mom's dish towels became super hero capes...

Our bath towels were our super hero capes.  ;D

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/23/06 at 5:08 pm

Oh yeah!!

I rented a bike at the beach once (a couple of years ago), it had pedal breaks...nearly killed myself because I kept forgetting that!!  LOL!!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/06 at 11:19 pm

...when bikes were ridden on the road, not the pavements.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/23/06 at 11:26 pm

Roller skates with metal wheels and a key.

Blythe dolls, Holly Hobbie, Skip-it, Barbie's Country Camper, Shaker-maker, Easy Bake Oven, Kerbanker (Clackers).

Donnie and Marie.

Grease!!

Written By: loki 13 on 06/24/06 at 8:06 am

Roller skates with metal wheels and a key.

Blythe dolls, Holly Hobbie, Skip-it, Barbie's Country Camper, Shaker-maker, Easy Bake Oven, Kerbanker (Clackers).

Donnie and Marie.

Grease!!

Clackers, was that the toy with the metal balls that kids across the nation were knocking
themselves out whenever they used them?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/06 at 8:09 am

...record shops were still on top, and vinyl was all that they stocked.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/24/06 at 8:11 am

I kinda miss that  :(

Written By: loki 13 on 06/24/06 at 9:30 am

This one is for people who spent the 60's and 70's in a Catholic School.

Remember when certain Masses were High Masses, During a High Mass the whole service
is sung, and most of it in Latin.

Using a Fountain Pen and having to learn Old English Lettering.

How often were your knuckles whacked with a ruler or a pointer?

When Teachers were Nuns and not Laity.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/24/06 at 10:16 am

Clackers, was that the toy with the metal balls that kids across the nation were knocking
themselves out whenever they used them?

Mine were made of plastic, but the first ones were actually made of glass!!  But they pulled them from the shelves because they were shattering causing injuries...you would have thought that they would figure that out BEFORE selling them!  LOL!!

Here are the glass ones.
http://bigredtoybox.com/articles/clackers.jpg

Here are the ones I had (one the left) and the ones they're selling now.  The summer I got mine I had bruises all over my arm!
http://www.skooldays.com/images/ty1427.jpg

Written By: loki 13 on 06/24/06 at 11:00 am

Mine were made of plastic, but the first ones were actually made of glass!!  But they pulled them from the shelves because they were shattering causing injuries...you would have thought that they would figure that out BEFORE selling them!  LOL!!

Here are the glass ones.

Here are the ones I had (one the left) and the ones they're selling now.  The summer I got mine I had bruises all over my arm!

I knew there was some danger involved in those toys, another dangerous toy of the 70's
was shrinky-Dinks, The things you placed in an oven and watched them shrink. How many
kids went to the emergency room with burns on their hands?

With all these toys it's a wonder we ever made it out of the 70's unscathed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/06 at 11:05 am

Here are the glass ones.

I remember schools banning them

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/24/06 at 4:24 pm

This one is for people who spent the 60's and 70's in a Catholic School.

Remember when certain Masses were High Masses, During a High Mass the whole service
is sung, and most of it in Latin.

Using a Fountain Pen and having to learn Old English Lettering.

How often were your knuckles whacked with a ruler or a pointer.

When Teachers were Nuns and not Laity.

Luckily for me I went to Catholic school in the 80's so we did get abused by the nuns. 

The nuns at my school were Congregation Of Notre Dame and by the 80's they weren't even wearing habits anymore.

But I heard plenty of stories from my parents.  My mom was failing geometry and the nun actually stuck a compass into my mothers hand!!  OUCH!!

Written By: loki 13 on 06/24/06 at 5:08 pm

Luckily for me I went to Catholic school in the 80's so we did get abused by the nuns. 

The nuns at my school were Congregation Of Notre Dame and by the 80's they weren't even wearing habits anymore.

But I heard plenty of stories from my parents.  My mom was failing geometry and the nun actually stuck a compass into my mothers hand!!  OUCH!!

I think the Nuns were sadistic. I served my sentance of 8 years in Catholic School. When my final year (8th grade)
started in 1976, we had 2 nuns and 6 Layteachers, one was Jewish, imagine that. When I started 1st grade
in '68 all the teachers were those sadistic Nuns.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/06 at 5:51 pm

I had clackers (and the bruises that went with them), and Shrinky Dinks. I remember those kits that you had "goop" and put them in molds and then heat them. Some of them you could eat.  :P

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/25/06 at 12:47 am

I had clackers (and the bruises that went with them), and Shrinky Dinks. I remember those kits that you had "goop" and put them in molds and then heat them. Some of them you could eat.  :P

Cat

Ah yes, I remember those.  I think they were called "thing makers".

Written By: Davester on 06/25/06 at 2:07 am

Cat

Shrinky Dinks were pretty cool at the time.  Basically, you could make your own toys...

In school we also used melted Life Savers candy to make these stained glass-looking things.  Christmas decorations destined for the tree or refrigerator door...

Written By: berger on 06/25/06 at 12:12 pm

I remember calling for our friends." Oohh Liinndaa"!

I remember my Beautiful purple Schwinn Lil' Chik with a STP sticker on the seat and Osmond cards(only the Alan & Wayne ones) in the wheels

I remember the glass Klackers(god those hurt when they bounced off your wrist)

I remember the 4th of July as the greatest day of the summer. I lived 1 1/2 blocks from the park and the 4th was an all day event.
You could smell the cotton candy & every hour they did a huge boom! There was an Ice Cream social on the tennis courts and in the evening they had a dance for the kids/teenagers. Then eveyone gathered in the Pony league baseball diamond for the fireworks. This is when they shot off the fireworks over the crowd.

I remember living at the Pool & hating 3:pm, cuz that was the 15min rest period and everybody out of the pool. And after swimming, hitting the Nibble Nook store for candy

I remember Creepy Crawlers(pouring gobbledi goop in the trays and making spiders or for the girls-flowers)
Incredible Edibles (same premise as creepy crawlers except edible)

I remember my mom with her Bell & Howell 8mm movie camera w/ the floodlights(every indoor shot movie, eveyones shading their eyes)

I remember body paint and bottom less sandals

I remember the games Paddle Pool, Masterpiece, Skittle bowling, Gnip-Gnop

I remember Flatsy's, Weebles, Heidi Doll & I still have my Velvet doll(box and all)

I remember the candy secton of the Ben Franklin store

I remember buying "16" magazine and plastering the pics on my bedroom walls

My purple flower power sleepingbag

Definately being gone all day & not coming home till dark, then playing kick the can after dark.

Anyone else remember making plastic/cellophane flowers?
You formed a wire in the shape of a petal and dipped it in the jar and the goo hardened
to a kind of cellophane. then you taped them all together to make a flower.

Saturday mornings were the best, forgive me if I throw in some 60's cartoons
The Herculoids, Bugs Bunny & Road Runner Show. Of course HR Puf N Stuf (Jack Wild recently passed away)
Lidsville, Sigmund and the Seamonsters, Land of the Lost, Thundar the Barbarian

I could probably go on & on, so I'll stop here

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/06 at 3:45 pm

You formed a wire in the shape of a petal and dipped it in the jar and the goo hardened

I remember those. I don't think that I made any myself but I remember my sisters having some.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 06/25/06 at 8:39 pm

I remember being in kindergarten in 1976.  Our school pictures had the bicentennial flag in the back ground.  My parents going to work during the day and my sister and I having free run of the neighborhood. 

Then when my mom left my step dad we moved about 2 miles away from the grandparents.  My sister and I would ride our bikes over at least twice a week then play tired so mom would have to pick us up.  Grandma would make home made silly putty and we would just play all day.  Couldn't do that now.  It was a rural road then, now it is a scary busy road.

Cannonball and Harvey, a local kids entertainment show that was on every afternoon.

Getting up on Saturday morning to watch Bugs Bunny with my dad.  It was our time and no one was to disturb us.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/25/06 at 10:10 pm

Indeed!  :D  It was pretty common then that somewhere near the bins of 45s, the record store would stock a stack of paper copies of the top 40 hits (either national or local) and you could take a copy home.  I still have a few charts from then - a good source of memories  ::)

My record player was one of those "close and play" numbers where you could stack bunches of records.  In hindsight, not so good for the records.  But I liked it.  It was olive green with a white platter.  :)

Written By: Tia on 06/26/06 at 5:24 am

Saturday mornings were the best, forgive me if I throw in some 60's cartoons
The Herculoids, Bugs Bunny & Road Runner Show. Of course HR Puf N Stuf (Jack Wild recently passed away)
Lidsville, Sigmund and the Seamonsters, Land of the Lost, Thundar the Barbarian
what a great list. a lot of the ladies were broken-hearted at jack wild's passing -- if kathy coleman (holly from LotL) ever died i don't know what i'd do!

remember when the bugs bunny road runner hour became a 90-minute show?

Written By: karen on 06/26/06 at 6:38 am

I had a kit for doing this, probably either as a Christmas or birthday present.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/06 at 1:55 pm

I remember record players with the arm so you can stack them. I also remember getting cardboard records on the back of ceral boxes. The only one I recall was the Archies' Sugar, Sugar. Very appropate for a box of ceral-because that is what it was full ofl.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/06 at 2:14 pm

I remember record players with the arm so you can stack them. I also remember getting cardboard records on the back of ceral boxes. The only one I recall was the Archies' Sugar, Sugar. Very appropate for a box of ceral-because that is what it was full ofl.  ;D ;D

Cat
That cardboard record is probably worth good money now?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/06 at 2:17 pm

That cardboard record is probably worth good money now?

I know but it was lost many, many, MANY years ago.  :\'(  Unless one of my sisters have it somewhere.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/06 at 2:19 pm

I know but it was lost many, many, MANY years ago.  :\'(  Unless one of my sisters have it somewhere.

Cat
Why not pay a discreet visit to one of your sisters?

Written By: Paul on 06/26/06 at 2:34 pm

We had two and a half TV channels back in the day...nothing else!

There was also a time during the energy crisis when the TV stations would shut down at 10pm...

We used to attach ice lolly sticks to our back wheels in such a way that one end of the strick would drag along the spokes, making a noise that was supposed to sound like a 'souped-up' engine, but in reality sounded like a mutant wasp...

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/06 at 2:36 pm

We had two and a half TV channels back in the day...nothing else!

There was also a time during the energy crisis when the TV stations would shut down at 10pm...

Ah yes, the Three Day Week!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/06 at 2:37 pm

We used to attach ice lolly sticks to our back wheels in such a way that one end of the strick would drag along the spokes, making a noise that was supposed to sound like a 'souped-up' engine, but in reality sounded like a mutant wasp...
...and played havoc by damaging the spokes!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/06 at 2:52 pm

Why not pay a discreet visit to one of your sisters?

Well, it is not that easy. Two live in Conn. and two live in Okla. Besides, if any one of them had it, they probably sold it by now.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/06 at 2:54 pm

Well, it is not that easy. Two live in Conn. and two live in Okla. Besides, if any one of them had it, they probably sold it by now.

Cat
Too true, knowing its value.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/06 at 2:57 pm

Too true, knowing its value.

Getting off the topic a bit, one of my sisters pick up a doll at a yard sale for about a dollar or 2 (maybe less) and sold it for over $200.  :o :o :o 

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/06 at 2:58 pm

Getting off the topic a bit, one of my sisters pick up a doll at a yard sale for about a dollar or 2 (maybe less) and sold it for over $200.  :o :o :o 

Cat
Toys over here are a massive investment now, just do not allow the children to play with them, keep the toys in the box!

Written By: Paul on 06/26/06 at 3:00 pm

Very nice...

Boot (or garage) sales used to be great many years ago, when you could actually nab a bargain...

Nowadays, they're just full of old cack...anything of value is priced accordingly!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/06 at 3:02 pm

Very nice...

Boot (or garage) sales used to be great many years ago, when you could actually nab a bargain...

Nowadays, they're just full of old cack...anything of value is priced accordingly!
All the best items go very early, even brought by hte other stall holders.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/06 at 3:02 pm

Toys over here are a massive investment now, just do not allow the children to play with them, keep the toys in the box!

Same over here. People want those vintage toys.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 06/26/06 at 5:08 pm

Remember When, sleeping out for concert tickets was a must. If you were one of the first ten in
line you were guarenteed a seat in the first five rows. You couldn't beat the prices either.

$6.50 (Third Level)
$7.50 (Second Level)
$8.50 (First Level and Floor)

Written By: gemini on 06/26/06 at 6:24 pm

Cat

Wow, I think I had that too. We had a few of them. What about putting a quarter on the record player arm so the record wouldn't skip.

Written By: gemini on 06/26/06 at 6:35 pm

Drinking coke in the little bottles
Buying penny candy
Block parties with all the neighbors. . . actually knowing all of your neighbors
Trick or treating in those plastic costumes with the plastic masks with the little elastic string
Roller skates with the little fuzzy balls on them
My Red, white and blue Miss America bike with the banana seat
bean bag chairs
flicker lights
flower power stickers on everything
free glasses and dishtowels in laundry detergent boxes (Duz detergent) mom had tons of 'em! (60s thing I think)
Really cool toys in cereal boxes
Danish Go Rounds (were like poptarts, but better!)
Kool aid stands in the front yard
Running through the sprinkler
Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap
Building snow forts and sledding
Metal toys that were "dangerous" by todays standards
Ok, I could go on, and maybe I will later, when more memories come to me!  :)

Written By: loki 13 on 06/26/06 at 6:41 pm

How many 45 adapters have you lost, And how many multi-colored plastic adapters did you
buy because you kept losing the good ones?

How casette tapes did you have with scotch tape over the hole on top because you
changed your mind a decided to tape over something?

How many 8 tracks did you own, and what color was your  Panasonic Plunger Player?

Written By: Davester on 06/26/06 at 7:35 pm

How many of you had these..? 

http://cache.tias.com/stores/keyo/pictures/c124a.jpg

I thought everybody did.  Still see them around, today...

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/26/06 at 7:40 pm

What, plates? We still have quite a few in the kitchen I think. :D ;D

Written By: Davester on 06/26/06 at 8:02 pm

Not plates in general, but the Corelle "Gold Butterfly" pattern, in particular.  Common in the late 60's-70's...

edited: to add another "t" to pattern...

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/26/06 at 8:07 pm

Not plates in general, but the Corelle "Gold Butterfly" pattern, in particular.  Common in the late 60's-70's...

edited: to add another "t" to pattern...

Oh, you should have told me then  ;).

Written By: Davester on 06/26/06 at 8:14 pm

Oh, you should have told me then  ;).

Figured the pattern should be instantly recognizable.  Damn near everyone had a set of these in the 70's...

You're Down Under, though, so I'm not sure if these existed there...

Written By: loki 13 on 06/26/06 at 8:21 pm

My mother had a set of Corelle Dinnerware, but ours had a green pattern.

Written By: berger on 06/26/06 at 9:44 pm

Roller skates with the little fuzzy balls on them
Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap.....
Ok, I could go on, and maybe I will later, when more memories come to me!  :)

OMG I forgot about Fuzzy Wuzzy Soap
I remember the little toy inside the bar soap..Dial maybe or Safeguard
I remember the Wizard of Oz puppets that were on dish soap...Lux Maybe
I'm pretty sure I still have a pair of purple Skate poms, we still have a local Roller Rink.

Written By: berger on 06/26/06 at 10:30 pm

I remember Fizzies
I loved eating Fizzies.
They suked when you put them in water, but put'em on your tongue and they were great
I remember colored aluminum tumblers(cups)

Written By: karen on 06/27/06 at 3:53 am

Figured the pattern should be instantly recognizable.  Damn near everyone had a set of these in the 70's...

You're Down Under, though, so I'm not sure if these existed there...

I bet the British equivalent would be the smoked glass tumblers that you got free at petrol stations.  Everyone had those

Written By: gemini on 06/27/06 at 6:41 am

I remember colored aluminum tumblers(cups)

I was thinking of those yesterday after I posted. I loved those! And you had to have the little stretchy covers that went over them so they didn't sweat all over the place!

http://store1.yimg.com/I/comfort_1899_15131037

Of course you had to have something to put in them!

http://theimaginaryworld.com/pac55.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/pac56.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/pac57.jpg

Written By: berger on 06/27/06 at 9:16 am

I was thinking of those yesterday after I posted. I loved those! And you had to have the little stretchy covers that went over them so they didn't sweat all over the place!

http://store1.yimg.com/I/comfort_1899_15131037

http://theimaginaryworld.com/pac56.jpg

Wow I forgot about this too. Rootin' tootin' Rasberry was my favorite

I remember Shake-A-Pudding (That might be the late 60's)

Written By: KKay on 06/27/06 at 9:21 am

My mom STILL has them.  I think they came fromthe supermarket.

http://theimaginaryworld.com/pac55.jpg

mouth-watering delicious!!!!

Written By: KKay on 06/27/06 at 9:25 am

Did you have Incredible Edibles?  Part of the Thingmaker toys...
this stuff was amazing.  It came out in the late 60s so you youn'uns might not remember.
but you made plastic molds of monster body parts and worms and stuff...then you cooked it and ate it.
like your own gummy factory, but with some kind of combination of petroleum by-product and space-age polymer.

http://www.samstoybox.com/toypics/IncredibleEdiblesContentsFoil.jpg

Written By: Davester on 06/27/06 at 9:31 am

My mom STILL has them.  I think they came fromthe supermarket.

I checked on eBay and there's a TON of them for sale...entire sets...

mouth-watering delicious!!!!

Good stuff!  I remember having one of these... Send in a coupon on the back of a pouch + shipping...

http://cache.tias.com/stores/tnantiqueshack/thumbs/cc0009a.jpg

Written By: berger on 06/27/06 at 9:35 am

this stuff was amazing.  It came out in the late 60s so you youn'uns might not remember.
but you made plastic molds of monster body parts and worms and stuff...then you cooked it and ate it.
like your own gummy factory, but with some kind of combination of petroleum by-product and space-age polymer.

I had that & the Cake maker. God those cakes were horrible. The Incredible Edibles were pretty good.

Written By: KKay on 06/27/06 at 9:36 am

I checked on eBay and there's a TON of them for sale...entire sets...

Good stuff!  I remember having one of these... Send in a coupon on the back of a pouch + shipping...

http://cache.tias.com/stores/tnantiqueshack/thumbs/cc0009a.jpg

I think we still have one!!!
I still have my HairBears cup too.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/27/06 at 11:07 am

That was so cool.  I loved the Thingmaker.  And the Flower Power one.  Those were fun toys -- probably banned today because we did burn ourselves every now and then.  Bummer.  Kids should be allowed to play with electric heaters and hot gooey monster body parts.  8)

Written By: KKay on 06/27/06 at 12:28 pm

Kids should be allowed to play with electric heaters and hot gooey monster body parts.  8)

and then eat them

Written By: Davester on 06/27/06 at 12:33 pm

Kids should be allowed to play with electric heaters and hot gooey monster body parts.  8)

and then eat them

It builds character...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/27/06 at 2:18 pm

We STILL have these.

I remember getting GOOD prizes in Craker Jacks and the boxes were BIG. Now the boxes are small and the prizes are even smaller.
Pop Rocks
Wacky Packages
Bazooka Bubble Gum that cost a penny

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 06/27/06 at 4:50 pm

I remember getting GOOD prizes in Craker Jacks and the boxes were BIG. Now the boxes are small and the prizes are even smaller.

I was just thinking about Cracker Jacks today, it's not really a prize anymore, it's just a piece
of paper with some stupid riddles on it. Another thing, Where's the Peanuts, Cracker Jacks
used to be loaded with peanuts, now if you get one peanut, thats the prize.

Kelloggs Cereal, Remember when you could get 3-d baseball or football cards in the box or the
little round coins of baseball players. Other cereals also gave you prizes worth digging to the
bottom of the box to get out. Now if you get a toy, it's a piece plastic crap that's more of
a choking hazard than a toy.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/27/06 at 7:05 pm

I was just thinking about Cracker Jacks today, it's not really a prize anymore, it's just a piece
of paper with some stupid riddles on it. Another thing, Where's the Peanuts, Cracker Jacks
used to be loaded with peanuts, now if you get one peanut, thats the prize.

Kelloggs Cereal, Remember when you could get 3-d baseball or football cards in the box or the
little round coins of baseball players. Other cereals also gave you prizes worth digging to the
bottom of the box to get out. Now if you get a toy, it's a piece plastic crap that's more of
a choking hazard than a toy.

wow, I was just thinking about that the other day. I bought a "bag" of cracker jacks (how lame) and the prize that I got was this little piece of paper that was supposed to be a replicate of an old time baseball card.  I remember when we were young they had neato prizes in the cracker jack box...not what they give today.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/27/06 at 11:25 pm

wow, I was just thinking about that the other day. I bought a "bag" of cracker jacks (how lame) and the prize that I got was this little piece of paper that was supposed to be a replicate of an old time baseball card.  I remember when we were young they had neato prizes in the cracker jack box...not what they give today.

This is spooky -- I was just going add this exact comment.  So .... "Me too."

Written By: CeeKay on 06/27/06 at 11:28 pm

Just one quick Cracker Jacks memory.  I was a kid -- may 10 or 11.  My family went to the movies.  My dad offered to buy everyone a snack.  I asked for popcorn.  But my dad always wanted us to do the unusual thing.  He said, "Popcorn?  Everyone gets popcorn.  Don't get popcorn, get Cracker Jacks instead."  And he got me Cracker Jacks.  I wanted popcorn, but the Cracker Jacks were pretty good. (KK, can you relate?)(sorry, a silly early 70s memory)

Written By: ktelqueen on 06/27/06 at 11:28 pm

...you could call a radio station and request a song..and they'd play it  :o ;D

and for that matter,remember when the dj would actually say the name of the artist and the title of song they were playing!! 8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/28/06 at 12:56 pm

...you could call a radio station and request a song..and they'd play it  :o ;D

and for that matter,remember when the dj would actually say the name of the artist and the title of song they were playing!! 8)

I was playing on posting the exact same thing but you beat me to it. Sometimes we listen to the radio in the evening and it never fails, they NEVER announce the song/artist which IMO, is bad for the CDs companies. How are you supposed to run out and buy it if you don't know what it is?

Cat

Written By: gemini on 06/28/06 at 5:59 pm

Does anyone remember PF Flyers sneakers? When you bought a pair, you got a free whistle with them. It might have been a ring whistle, I can't remember for sure. . . . .tell me I'm not imagining this  :-\\

Written By: Davester on 06/28/06 at 11:48 pm

Does anyone remember PF Flyers sneakers? When you bought a pair, you got a free whistle with them. It might have been a ring whistle, I can't remember for sure. . . . .tell me I'm not imagining this  :-\\

Don't know about the whistle, but PF Flyers I've seen look much like Chuck Taylors...

Written By: CeeKay on 06/29/06 at 12:00 am

I remember PF Flyers.  How about Buster Brown shoes?  Or perhaps that was the late 60s...it all blends together. ???

Written By: CeeKay on 06/29/06 at 12:03 am

Once again, I'm not sure if this was late 60s or early 70s, but does anyone remember "Shake-a-Pudding"?  You put the pudding mix in the cup, added milk, put the top on, and shake! shake! shake! for three minutes and viola!  Pudding!

I remember it mostly because once I was shake-shake-shaking and the lid popped off the cup and voila! chocolate pudding all over the kitchen walls!  ;D

Written By: Tia on 06/29/06 at 6:14 am

I remember PF Flyers.  How about Buster Brown shoes?  Or perhaps that was the late 60s...it all blends together. ???
i remember PF flyers and buster brown shoes. i was a 70s kid all the way.

remember zips? i was convinced if i got some zips i'd be able to jump over bushes like steve austin. what a lie!

Written By: berger on 06/29/06 at 11:15 am

Wow I forgot about this too. Rootin' tootin' Rasberry was my favorite

I remember Shake-A-Pudding (That might be the late 60's)

Yeah

Written By: CeeKay on 06/29/06 at 3:33 pm

Yeah

;DSorry -- I guess I missed that!  So, yeah, I remember that too. 

Written By: berger on 06/29/06 at 9:26 pm

;DSorry -- I guess I missed that!  So, yeah, I remember that too. 

Funny thing I had a hard time finding my original post too.
Started wondering if I actually posted it or not :D

Anyone remember: hard to describe, it was red goo
It came in a white container(like french onion dip comes in) it was red powder, you added water, let it set for 20min
Then you had a red play-doh or kinda like todays slime.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/06 at 12:38 am

My favorite shampoo
http://geeyourhairsmellsterrific.com/catalog/images/shamp.jpg

Avon Pin Pals...
http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/86/2f/88_2.JPG

My favorite vitamins...
http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/pix372.jpg

Remember Crazy Foam...
http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/tic179.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/06 at 12:40 am

My favorite shampoo
http://geeyourhairsmellsterrific.com/catalog/images/shamp.jpg
What did it smell so terridifc of?

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/06 at 12:42 am

What did it smell so terridifc of?

Flowers, I suppose. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/06 at 12:42 am

Flowers, I suppose. 
Thanks, just wondered.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/06 at 12:47 am

Thanks, just wondered.

I really need to buy a bottle...it's available on e-bay.  I bet it doesn't smell as good as I remember it smelling.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/30/06 at 12:49 am

Remember Crazy Foam...
http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/tic179.jpg

Crazy Foam!  I used to get that in my stocking on Christmas!  I loved that stuff.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/06 at 12:56 am

Crazy Foam!  I used to get that in my stocking on Christmas!  I loved that stuff.
I bet it did not last long?

Written By: Tia on 06/30/06 at 6:39 am

anybody have one of these when they were a kid?

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/fisher-price/dept-1-Audio-Vis-Mus/f-movie-viewer/1-pics/fpt2150-fp460a-viewer.jpg

my uncle fleming got me one in like 1977 or something. it was my FAVORITE. GIFT. EVER.

Written By: KKay on 06/30/06 at 10:06 am

one of my all time favorite games:

http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/ideal/kerplunk185.jpg

Written By: berger on 06/30/06 at 10:20 am

I'm image challenged, so heres a link to Retro toys
I remember Kiddles, I had Lilac Locket Kiddle and a green & puprle Cosmic Kiddle
God, I loved my Kiddles!!!!
http://www.feelingretro.com/view_toy.cfm?id=92

Written By: KKay on 06/30/06 at 10:21 am

I remember Kiddles, I had Lilac Locket Kiddle and a green & puprle Cosmic Kiddle

oh man, my sister and I were sooooo Kiddle obsessed!

Written By: karen on 06/30/06 at 10:28 am

one of my all time favorite games:

http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/ideal/kerplunk185.jpg

I had that game - loved it. 

My daughter had one as a Christmas present.  I'm not sure if they've changed it but the straws/sticks take forever to put in.  I don't remember taking a long time when i played it as a kid

Written By: Davester on 06/30/06 at 10:36 am

http://www.thisoldtoy.com/fisher-price/dept-1-Audio-Vis-Mus/f-movie-viewer/1-pics/fpt2150-fp460a-viewer.jpg

my uncle fleming got me one in like 1977 or something. it was my FAVORITE. GIFT. EVER.

Oh yeah!  The ViewMaster...

Had a couple of Star Wars cartridges for this bad boy.  Pretty much wore the thing out...

Edited:  This is the ViewMaster-->http://static.flickr.com/31/50852732_0d0d622012_m.jpg

The toy in question, from what I can find, was simply called "Movie Viewer"...

Written By: KKay on 06/30/06 at 10:39 am

I had one...loved it...but i used it as a gun and hit people with it.
I think i hammered nails with it too.

by the way...Uncle Fleming is the greatest uncle name ever.

Written By: CeeKay on 06/30/06 at 11:00 am

I wish, wish, wish I still had my Kiddles.  We had them ALL (well, just about).  The ones that were characters (Bunsen Bernie, Calamity Jane), the ones that were scented, the ones that came in the little lockets.  Awesome

Written By: karen on 06/30/06 at 11:15 am

That retro toy site had another favourite.  Battling Tops.  Actually it was my brothers game but we all liked playing it

Written By: KKay on 06/30/06 at 12:02 pm

That retro toy site had another favourite.  Battling Tops.  Actually it was my brothers game but we all liked playing it

Ohhh! we played it all the time!  we also used the strings with pull tabs to tie around our fingers to see the fingertips turn blue.
ah, the joys of youth.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/06 at 12:28 pm

Oh, I had those.  Loved them!!

A few other favorites of mine were Dawn Dolls and Rock Flowers.
http://www.persephone.com/dawn/images/CastDawn.jpg
http://www.bigredtoybox.com/articles/rockflower.jpg

Written By: KKay on 06/30/06 at 12:36 pm

Ahhh, Dawn. Yes...we really had to defend those with our lives..

Did you have a Chrissy doll?

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/06 at 2:03 pm

Ahhh, Dawn. Yes...we really had to defend those with our lives..

Did you have a Chrissy doll?

My sister and I had Chrissy and Velvet...not sure who had which one though.

Remember The Sunshine Family?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/06 at 3:53 pm

Ah, Liddle Kiddles. My sister and I argued for YEARS about a Kiddle with green hair. She said it was hers and I said it was mine. She finally wanted to stop the fued and bought me Kiddle (with green hair of course), maybe about 10 years ago. But, we will STILL argue over that little doll we had so many years ago.  ;D ;D ;D

BTW, my sister sells vintage dolls-including Liddle Kiddles, Crissy/Velvet dolls, Dawn dolls, etc. Check out her website.

http://www.dollsntoys.com/

(Yeah, have to make a plug for my sister's site-it is the least I could do for someone who STOLE my Liddle Kiddle doll back when we were kids.  :D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 06/30/06 at 4:29 pm

I never fell for the gimmicks or fads but a lot of people did, were you one of the
millions who had a "Mood Ring" or a "Pet Rock."

Written By: gemini on 06/30/06 at 4:34 pm

I had the lavender Liddle Kiddle in a bottle. I had it even up to the time I had my first daughter and it even still smelled like lilac. Somehow she got ahold of it, and I never saw it again.   :\'(  I also had tons of those Avon pins with the solid perfume in them. Mom used to order Avon from the Avon lady that came around the neighborhood, and she bought me probably every single one of those pins.
This was one of my favorite toys

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/articles/snocone.jpg

How about these?
http://www.bigredtoybox.com/articles/wizzzer.jpg

Here's another
http://www.bigredtoybox.com/articles/8ball.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/06 at 4:34 pm

I never fell for the gimmicks or fads but a lot of people did, were you one of the

Yeah, I had a mood ring (I think it was given to me) but it never worked. It was usually black-so I guess that was my mood all the time, then. lol. But, I NEVER had a Pet Rock. One time we gave one of my sisters a "Pet Gouda" and she thought it was something live instead of cheese that you could eat. lol.

Cat

Written By: gemini on 06/30/06 at 4:35 pm

I had a mood ring, but not a pet rock.

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/06 at 4:49 pm

I had a mood ring and I desperately wanted a Pet Rock.  My parents refused to get me one, so I made my own.  I walked into the backyard and adopted my Pet Rock from the garden!  LOL!! 

Written By: loki 13 on 06/30/06 at 5:06 pm

I had a mood ring and I desperately wanted a Pet Rock.  My parents refused to get me one, so I made my own.  I walked into the backyard and adopted my Pet Rock from the garden!  LOL!! 

I don't know why more people didn't do that. All those poor homeless rocks just
laying around, waiting to adopted and put into a good home. But no, people
had to spend millions of dollars buying groomed, imported rocks. What, domestic
rocks weren't good enough?  :(

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/30/06 at 5:07 pm

http://www.bigredtoybox.com/articles/snocone.jpg

Oh my neighbor had that, I loved when she got it out and we made sno-cones.

We had this thing that you used to make shaved ice.  It was shaped like a bird and you had a big block of ice that you used it on.  I can't think of the name.

I found it...
http://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/7b/96/21_2.JPG

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/30/06 at 6:40 pm

believe it or not, I found a Dawn doll with tons of clothing in this old Barbie carrying case that I picked up at Goodwill for a buck! :o ;)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/01/06 at 3:01 pm

How many houses in your neighborhood had that giant CB antenna on the roof. Almost
every house on our street had two antennae, one for TV an one for a CB radio. My brother
had a CB, he let me talk on it sometime. My handle was "Ghost Rider," Our "Ears" were usually
on to channel 10 but sometimes we would listen to channel 19.

So now, we be 10-10 on the side good buddy.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/01/06 at 4:48 pm

How many houses in your neighborhood had that giant CB antenna on the roof. Almost
every house on our street had two antennae, one for TV an one for a CB radio. My brother
had a CB, he let me talk on it sometime. My handle was "Ghost Rider," Our "Ears" were usually
on to channel 10 but sometimes we would listen to channel 19.

So now, we be 10-10 on the side good buddy.

My brother was REALLY into CBs. His handle was "Razer Face". (I still don't know how he came up with that one-I should ask him one of these years). I never really had a handle but one time my sister was using my brother's CB and I was with her and she was talking to someone and told them that I was Dolly (a nickname I had when I was a small fry). My brother got my dad into it and he went by "Deep Breather" (he was really into Yoga at the time).

Personally, I think the internet is today's answer to the CB radio. We talk to people we have never met and we have user names (handles). And we have our own language-instead of 10-20 we have A/S/L etc. etc.

Catch ya on the flip side and watch for Smokey out there.  ;)

Cat

Written By: gemini on 07/01/06 at 5:08 pm

My brother was REALLY into CBs. His handle was "Razer Face". (I still don't know how he came up with that one-I should ask him one of these years). I never really had a handle but one time my sister was using my brother's CB and I was with her and she was talking to someone and told them that I was Dolly (a nickname I had when I was a small fry). My brother got my dad into it and he went by "Deep Breather" (he was really into Yoga at the time).

Personally, I think the internet is today's answer to the CB radio. We talk to people we have never met and we have user names (handles). And we have our own language-instead of 10-20 we have A/S/L etc. etc.

Catch ya on the flip side and watch for Smokey out there.  ;)

Cat

Razor Face is an Elton John song from the Madman Across The Water album.  We didn't have the CB radio antenna, but I remember having the big antenna for the tv and someone would have to go out and turn it occasionally while someone yelled out the window, " a little to the left, ok, that's good"  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/01/06 at 5:10 pm

Razor Face is an Elton John song from the Madman Across The Water album.  We didn't have the CB radio antenna, but I remember having the big antenna for the tv and someone would have to go out and turn it occasionally while someone yelled out the window, " a little to the left, ok, that's good"  ;D

You had rabbit ears with foil on the ends. When the rabbit ears broke off, a clothes hanger would replace it.  ;D

Cat

Written By: gemini on 07/01/06 at 5:12 pm

You had rabbit ears with foil on the ends. When the rabbit ears broke off, a clothes hanger would replace it.  ;D

Cat

Yep, had that too!  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/01/06 at 5:19 pm

Yep, had that too!  ;D

I forgot to add that when someone was adjusting the rabbit ears and they reached their hand out, whoever was watching said, "Perfect. Now stay there and don't move."  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/03/06 at 11:18 am

How about these?
http://www.bigredtoybox.com/articles/wizzzer.jpg

We had two of these.  Loved them

Written By: fishryc on 07/04/06 at 9:15 am

We had two of these.  Loved them

Had one two and liked it a lot. But, what we had growing up in the 1960's and 1970's that kids these days don't have are the so called "Dangerous" toys. Many of these were a lot of fun: Junior Archery sets, WAMMO brand sling shots with the accessory that allowed shooting of arrows, dart guns, little plastic airplanes that launched at Warp Speed with a powerfull elastic on a wooden stick, Whirley Birds, pressurized water rockets, chemistry sets, etc. 

Written By: karen on 07/04/06 at 11:24 am

I can still remember one brother running to throw up in the bathroom after my other brother made a stink bomb with his chemistry set!!

I wasn't allowed to touch it (being the youngest) but I did nick a beaker to make a huge block of pink soap.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/06 at 12:05 pm

I can still remember one brother running to throw up in the bathroom after my other brother made a stink bomb with his chemistry set!!

I wasn't allowed to touch it (being the youngest) but I did nick a beaker to make a huge block of pink soap.
A chemistry set was one of my wishes when young, and never had one, thus given me complete ignorance on Chemistry and the like.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/04/06 at 12:19 pm

I remember about a year before the Bicentennial, they had these 1 minute programs called "200 Years Ago Today" giving a bit of history leading up to the BIG celebration. They had just about everyone doing at least one of those shows.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 07/04/06 at 6:43 pm

This relating to an earlier post, I was out on the Harley today and I drove by my old
neighborhood and I noticed that most of the houses still had the old TV and CB
antennae on the their roof. Amazing, 30 years and the antennae are still there.

Written By: Davester on 07/04/06 at 8:56 pm

This relating to an earlier post, I was out on the Harley today and I drove by my old
neighborhood and I noticed that most of the houses still had the old TV and CB
antennae on the their roof. Amazing, 30 years and the antennae are still there.

Ah, that's cool...

This remids me of a discovery I made while walking through the old hood about three years ago...

I passed by an old tree that we used to play on and around in the early 80s and discovered an old nail with a piece of string attached protruding from one of the limbs.  I had put that there over 20 years ago and it has been there ever since...

Written By: KKay on 07/05/06 at 10:20 am

My favorite game show became my all time favorite board game.  I wish I still had it; I really really loved it..

Beat the Clock home version!!!!

Written By: loki 13 on 07/05/06 at 3:20 pm

My favorite game show became my all time favorite board game.  I wish I still had it; I really really loved it..

Beat the clock was one of the shows Ricki Lake hosted a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed seeing it
but Ricki Lake is not a game show host.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/05/06 at 3:25 pm

I was just watching that show last night on the Gameshow Network!  :D

Written By: nally on 07/05/06 at 3:26 pm

Beat the clock was one of the shows Ricki Lake hosted a couple weeks ago. I enjoyed seeing it
but Ricki Lake is not a game show host.

Yes, it was part of a miniseries on CBS entitled "Gameshow Marathon." Among the classic game shows featured were "Match Game" (the 70s version, with modern questions) and "Card Sharks" (which began in the late 70s with host Jim Perry).

Written By: nally on 07/05/06 at 3:27 pm

I was just watching that show last night on the GSN!  :D

We sometimes watch that, but we like "What's My Line" better. We've been taping that show off of GSN for a couple years now. :)

Written By: CeeKay on 07/05/06 at 8:02 pm

Wasn't that the most fun??  There's nothing like it.  I loved Beat the Clock -- trying to do random stunts with cardboard props before to the tick-tick-tick of the timer.  Let's find one and bring it on vacation! ;D

Written By: gemini on 07/06/06 at 2:22 pm

Remember Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers, Jean Nate', or those roll on lip glosses that were so glossy it looked like it was going to drip off! I had strawberry, which was probably the only flavor, not really sure. Remember using sealing wax to seal up letters, it would have a metal sealer with a design on it. Gouchos with the matching vest, usually worn with a cowl neck sweater, and boots.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/06/06 at 2:25 pm

Remember Bonnie Bell Lip Smackers, Jean Nate', or those roll on lip glosses that were so glossy it looked like it was going to drip off! I had strawberry, which was probably the only flavor, not really sure. Remember using sealing wax to seal up letters, it would have a metal sealer with a design on it. Gouchos with the matching vest, usually worn with a cowl neck sweater, and boots.

I remember Bonnie Bell. Had some of that stuff myself. As for Jean Nate, I used to get my sister some Jean Nate EVERY year for Christmas. I knew she liked it. One year she told me, "I was hoping you would continue because I just ran out."  I don't get it for her anymore because I think she developed allergies to it.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: CeeKay on 07/06/06 at 2:26 pm

Oh yeah.  Remember it all!  Those letter sealer kits with the wax -- good memory!  I used them when I had penpals.  Speaking of which...remember when it was really popular to have penpals.  You could get them through the teen magazines.  We sent actual hand written letters since we didn't have e-mail yet.

Gouchos & vests.  Sure.  At that same time we also had the midi-skirts with a bit of flair.  And platform shoes.

Written By: gemini on 07/06/06 at 2:29 pm

Oh yeah.  Remember it all!  Those letter sealer kits with the wax -- good memory!  I used them when I had penpals.  Speaking of which...remember when it was really popular to have penpals.  You could get them through the teen magazines.  We sent actual hand written letters since we didn't have e-mail yet.

Gouchos & vests.  Sure.  At that same time we also had the midi-skirts with a bit of flair.  And platform shoes.

Yea, I still remember my sealer kit had orange wax and a flower sealer. My sister had a maxi coat that unzipped, once to turn into a midi, then again to turn into a regular knee length coat.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/06/06 at 2:46 pm

Bonnie Bell...Orange Crush!!  I had cola flavored roll-on lip gloss.  I had bright blue polyester gouchos and the vest!  LOL!!  Also, Tickle deodorant.

http://www.classroomtools.com/subad2b.jpg

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/06/06 at 2:48 pm

We sometimes watch that, but we like "What's My Line" better. We've been taping that show off of GSN for a couple years now. :)

Yes, I prefer What's My Line? as well... :)

Written By: gemini on 07/06/06 at 2:51 pm

Bonnie Bell...Orange Crush!!  I had cola flavored roll-on lip gloss.  I had bright blue polyester gouchos and the vest!  LOL!!  Also, Tickle deodorant.

http://www.classroomtools.com/subad2b.jpg

OMG! Yes, tickle deodorant! That was so cool looking!  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/06/06 at 3:11 pm

OMG! Yes, tickle deodorant! That was so cool looking!  :)

I remember seeing that deodorant on the shelves, but I never really cared for the 'roll-on' stuff (I like Secret solid)... :)

Written By: Tia on 07/06/06 at 3:13 pm

how about "i'm not going to pay a lot for this muffler"? i thought of that yesterday because i think my muffler is on the fritz (i suspect screws) and i bet i end up paying a lot for it.

Written By: gemini on 07/06/06 at 3:23 pm

Oh, check this out! Remember Coty Sweet Earth Perfume? I loved that stuff! The "grass" scent was the best!  :)

http://www.auntjudysattic.com/solid_perfume/cotysweetearthrareflowers.jpg

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/06/06 at 3:28 pm

I remember seeing that deodorant on the shelves, but I never really cared for the 'roll-on' stuff (I like Secret solid)... :)

I don't like roll-on now, but I wore it when I was younger.  I remember having to keep my arms up until it dried.  LOL!!

Written By: berger on 07/06/06 at 9:45 pm

Oh, check this out! Remember Coty Sweet Earth Perfume? I loved that stuff! The "grass" scent was the best!  :)

OMG I remember those.
How about Loves Earth, Wind, Rain & Fire
Rain was my favorite.
Then Jovans Musk.
I buy Jovan's Musk for Men for the boyfriend :-*

Written By: CeeKay on 07/07/06 at 10:52 am

Wow.  You have truly taken me back in time!  :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/07/06 at 12:12 pm

I think the Nuns were sadistic. I served my sentance of 8 years in Catholic School. When my final year (8th grade)
started in 1976, we had 2 nuns and 6 Layteachers, one was Jewish, imagine that. When I started 1st grade
in '68 all the teachers were those sadistic Nuns.

Last night I was thinking about tht I'll need to sign my daughter up for Religious Instructions next year so she can get ready for her Communion.  I then began remembering my first year of Rel. Inst. at Our Lady of Pity Church...the priests were sadistic.  Father Paluso and Monsignor Ricotti would sit behind the alter in big red velvet chairs and they would scream at the kids for talking.  If they pointed at you, you had to kneel on the bare wood floor with your arms held up above your head.  You had to stay that way until the end of class. 

I told my mom about that and the very next day we changed Parishes.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/07/06 at 2:21 pm

Roll-on-YUCK!  I too, use Secret Solid.  ;D

Cat

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/07/06 at 4:37 pm

Roll-on-YUCK!  I too, use Secret Solid.  ;D

Cat

;)

Written By: loki 13 on 07/08/06 at 9:26 am

Last night I was thinking about tht I'll need to sign my daughter up for Religious Instructions next year so she can get ready for her Communion.  I then began remembering my first year of Rel. Inst. at Our Lady of Pity Church...the priests were sadistic.  Father Paluso and Monsignor Ricotti would sit behind the alter in big red velvet chairs and they would scream at the kids for talking.  If they pointed at you, you had to kneel on the bare wood floor with your arms held up above your head.  You had to stay that way until the end of class. 

I told my mom about that and the very next day we changed Parishes.

I think all the Nuns and Priest were taught by the Spanish Inquisition.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/06 at 4:01 pm

I think all the Nuns and Priest were taught by the Spanish Inquisition.  ;D

The Inquisition (What a show)
The Inquisition (Here we go)
We know you

Written By: KKay on 07/08/06 at 5:35 pm

OK..I got my hands on some Sweet Honesty.  now somone PLEASE get me some Love's Baby Soft!
AND I really want the T-shirt for either.

Written By: gemini on 07/08/06 at 7:04 pm

OK..I got my hands on some Sweet Honesty.  now somone PLEASE get me some Love's Baby Soft!

Sweet Honesty, that was Avon, right? I think I had a little roll on perfume of that scent. I remember Charlie being popular in the 70s. My sister loved it.Her friends even nicknamed her Charlie!  ;D  I was thinking of this eyeshadow I remember. It was like 5 little crayons that all fit together, they were creamy and when you wore it, it always creased really bad!  :P  Frosty pastel blues, greens, lavender, even yellow!

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/08/06 at 7:26 pm

Here is a place you can order Love's...
http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/wf_items.html?cat=01543&cur_letter=l&item_type=&gender=W&gs_gen=w

Written By: KKay on 07/08/06 at 7:51 pm

Here is a place you can order Love's...
http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/wf_items.html?cat=01543&cur_letter=l&item_type=&gender=W&gs_gen=w

I'm sure you hear this all the time, but YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/08/06 at 7:59 pm

I'm sure you hear this all the time, but YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!! http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/headbang.gif

Hey, I just like to help out.  I wonder if it smells as good as I remember...I might have to get some for myself.

Written By: berger on 07/09/06 at 10:07 am

Hey, I just like to help out.  I wonder if it smells as good as I remember...I might have to get some for myself.

Can you find me some Heaven Scent? :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/09/06 at 1:07 pm

Can you find me some Heaven Scent? :)

Sure thing...

http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/wf_items.html?cat=01147&cur_letter=H&gs_gen=W

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/06 at 1:50 pm

Sweet Honesty, that was Avon, right? I think I had a little roll on perfume of that scent. I remember Charlie being popular in the 70s. My sister loved it.Her friends even nicknamed her Charlie!  ;D  I was thinking of this eyeshadow I remember. It was like 5 little crayons that all fit together, they were creamy and when you wore it, it always creased really bad!  :P  Frosty pastel blues, greens, lavender, even yellow!

I remember Sweet Honesty and Zany (also from Avon). I never used Zany myself but I was working a theatre one time and we were putting on the play "Chapter Two" (a Neil Simon play). There is one scene where one of the characters sprays perfume all over the place. Our prop director got a battle of Zany for that scene. So every night (except for Mondays) and twice on Wednesdays for two weeks solid (not to mention another week of rehersals), I kept smelling Zany. It was a good thing that I liked it.  ;D  Now, I'm sure if I smelled it, it would take me right back to that theatre. They say that the sense of smell has the longest memory than any of the other senses.

Cat

Written By: freeridemt on 07/09/06 at 10:57 pm

I remember my wife would wear Charlie or Windsong back when we started going out in Jan 78. I still remember that jingle, I can't seem to forget you windsong stays.....Gah so long ago

Written By: oneno on 07/10/06 at 1:52 pm

Not to break the present chat on fragrant scents but who else as kids use to chase around the guys spraying DEET from the back of city trucks fogging for mosquito's having know idea what the fog contained on your stingray. It was annual summer event to try to lose each other in the (now known as deadly fog). We were always told that the fog was harmless.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/10/06 at 4:23 pm

Not to break the present chat on fragrant scents but who else as kids use to chase around the guys spraying DEET from the back of city trucks fogging for mosquito's having know idea what the fog contained on your stingray. It was annual summer event to try to lose each other in the (now known as deadly fog). We were always told that the fog was harmless.

You must be psychic, I was just talking about this at work today. That fog attracted more kids
than the Ice Cream Man.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/10/06 at 7:08 pm

Wow, Love's Baby Soft, Heaven Sent, Windsong, Charlie... oh how that takes me back!  (Some of the others already mentioned, too).  So often on my Christmas list!  ;D

Turns out, as much as I wanted to LOVE Charlie, I never liked it when I put it on.  :-\\  On the other hand, Windsong was divine (to me)!

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/10/06 at 9:43 pm

...Cheeseburgers cost 50 cents? I saw an old McDonalds ad from 1971, and they were advertising cheeseburgers for 50 cents, lol.

Written By: gemini on 07/11/06 at 11:27 am

I was telling my sister about this thread sunday, and she reminded of this hot roller set she had, so I googled it and I actually found one on Ebay. Here's a pic, I think hers was pink with flowers though.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/ae/e4/d7_1.JPG

http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/07/ae/fd/f7_1.JPG

Written By: freeridemt on 07/11/06 at 12:04 pm

What about the toys that came out then.
Battling tops
Creepy  Crawlers
Ssp's
I am not sure when suzy homemaker started but I think it started around the same time as easy bake ovens did.
One of my favorites was the nerf balls, We use to play with nerf football till it fell to pieces.
Johnny Lighting cars..They didn't last very long.

Written By: KKay on 07/11/06 at 12:07 pm

Here is a memory ...i was reminded by a coworker..

we were talking about amusement parks and she said she was not interested in going on rides but
"I'll be the one that stands under a tree with all the pocketbooks."

LOL

Written By: gemini on 07/11/06 at 12:19 pm

Here is a memory ...i was reminded by a coworker..

we were talking about amusement parks and she said she was not interested in going on rides but
"I'll be the one that stands under a tree with all the pocketbooks."

LOL

;D  ;D Now, those days are coming, aren't they!  :o

Written By: KKay on 07/11/06 at 12:20 pm

;D  ;D Now, those days are coming, aren't they!  :o

I cracked up...then i thought of the days out dancing when all the girls dance in a circle with their bags on the floor in the middle...
soooo funny

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/06 at 6:46 pm

...Cheeseburgers cost 50 cents? I saw an old McDonalds ad from 1971, and they were advertising cheeseburgers for 50 cents, lol.

McDonald's had two commercials in the 70's that stand out in my mind, one was you could
feed a family of four with five dollars and get change.

The other was, you went to a McDonalds and sung the Big Mac Song in a certain amount of time
you got the Big Mac free.

Two All Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions, On A Sesame Seed Bun.

Written By: freeridemt on 07/11/06 at 11:39 pm

I just remember back in the 70's the big three of fast foods, where McDonald's, Burger King and Jack in the box. Hey wait what ever happened to Jack in the box anyways?

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/12/06 at 10:13 am

I just remember back in the 70's the big three of fast foods, where McDonald's, Burger King and Jack in the box. Hey wait what ever happened to Jack in the box anyways?

I've been to Jack in the Box while driving through North and South Carolina. 

Written By: freeridemt on 07/12/06 at 10:19 am

We used to have alot of them here in NH. But now u can't find em here in upper New England. Last time at one was in 1988 in SD Ca.

Written By: berger on 07/12/06 at 10:28 am

Sure thing...

http://www.fragrancenet.com/f/net/wf_items.html?cat=01147&cur_letter=H&gs_gen=W

What does reformulated mean?

I wore Cachet exclusively in High School

Written By: berger on 07/12/06 at 10:29 am

What about the toys that came out then.......
Johnny Lighting cars..They didn't last very long.

Johnny Lightning cars are still around today

Written By: gemini on 07/12/06 at 11:11 am

McDonald's had two commercials in the 70's that stand out in my mind, one was you could
feed a family of four with five dollars and get change.

The other was, you went to a McDonalds and sung the Big Mac Song in a certain amount of time
you got the Big Mac free.

Two All Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions, On A Sesame Seed Bun.

How about Burger King's little jingle  ;D

Hold The Pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/06 at 12:43 pm

How about Burger King's little jingle  ;D

Hold The Pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us

"Have it your way".  I wonder if they still do that. I haven't been to BK in so long.

Cat

Written By: freeridemt on 07/12/06 at 5:24 pm

Have no clue if they do or not. My fast food now a days is either pizza or subs. Have not gone for burgers since forever. :P

Written By: gemini on 07/13/06 at 3:19 pm

Ok, I had a major flashback last night, had to post it. Remember getting the Christmas Wish Book. Sears, JC Penney and Montgomery Ward. Oh man, we couldn't wait for it to come in the mail, so we could look through it, page by page, usually more than once, carefully looking over all the awesome toys we wanted for Christmas, circling almost every one of them and thinking we were actually going to get everything we circled!  ;D What a great memory  :)

Written By: wndysbg on 07/13/06 at 3:20 pm

They are still here on the West Coast - California, Oregon and Washington all have them.  There is an entire new add campaign with Jack himself - pretty cute.  They also have GREAT milkshakes.  :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/06 at 3:32 pm

Ok, I had a major flashback last night, had to post it. Remember getting the Christmas Wish Book. Sears, JC Penney and Montgomery Ward. Oh man, we couldn't wait for it to come in the mail, so we could look through it, page by page, usually more than once, carefully looking over all the awesome toys we wanted for Christmas, circling almost every one of them and thinking we were actually going to get everything we circled!  ;D What a great memory  :)

I remember having a LONG Christmas list.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: wndysbg on 07/13/06 at 3:44 pm

I remember both of my grandmothers saving the catalogs and my brothers and I would spend hours looking over them so Grandma and Grandpa could get us what we really wanted.  TODAY it is the  Toys R Us catalog which my kids spend so much time pouring over.

Written By: gemini on 07/13/06 at 3:50 pm

I remember both of my grandmothers saving the catalogs and my brothers and I would spend hours looking over them so Grandma and Grandpa could get us what we really wanted.   TODAY it is the  Toys R Us catalog which my kids spend so much time pouring over.

I remember it was in a plain brown sleeve when it showed up, probably thought they could disquise it so the kids wouldn't know what it was!  ;D  ;D  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/06 at 4:49 pm

I remember it was in a plain brown sleeve when it showed up, probably thought they could disquise it so the kids wouldn't know what it was!  ;D  ;D  ;)

I thought it was... um..."other" things that came in the plain brown sleeve.  ;)  I remember when we discovered where my dad hid his Playboy magazines.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 07/13/06 at 6:49 pm

Remember this jingle:

Once upon a time there was an engineer
Choo Choo Charlie was his name, we hear.
He had an engine and he sure had fun
He used Good & Plenty candy to make his train run.
Charlie says "Love my Good & Plenty!"
Charlie says "Really rings my bell!"
Don't know any other candy that I love so well

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/13/06 at 8:47 pm

oh gosh,  I used to LOVE perusing those catalogs when I was a kid!! You know you can find vintage wish books on Ebay? I think it would be fun to get one and reminisce all of the toys you once played with as a child..that would be fun!!

Written By: Davester on 07/13/06 at 9:16 pm

oh gosh,  I used to LOVE perusing those catalogs when I was a kid!! You know you can find vintage wish books on Ebay? I think it would be fun to get one and reminisce all of the toys you once played with as a child..that would be fun!!

Yeah, I was going to mention the eBay auctions.  I do alot of browsing just to see what I can find...

I've found, with few exceptions, any wish books which include anything Star Wars is going to be hotly contested (read - sniped) before one can refresh ones browser...

Written By: oneno on 07/14/06 at 11:02 am

I don't know how far removed we were here in the midwest from the norm in the 60's, but I remember picking up buckeyes scattered below the tree of same name and rubbing them on the road and getting them real hot from the friction and then handing them to an ususpecting friend like a hot potatoe, we called them "hot rocks".

Written By: gemini on 07/14/06 at 4:03 pm

Yeah, I was going to mention the eBay auctions.  I do alot of browsing just to see what I can find...

I've found, with few exceptions, any wish books which include anything Star Wars is going to be hotly contested (read - sniped) before one can refresh ones browser...

I had the same idea! I really want one now! I'll let you know if I have any luck  :)

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/14/06 at 4:08 pm

What does reformulated mean?

I wore Cachet exclusively in High School

I guess all the things that could cause cancer have been removed as well as all the animal products that aren't used anymore...

Written By: Davester on 07/14/06 at 10:35 pm

Remember this jingle:

This ad was a little before my time.  I remember the candy, though...

Interesting tidbit: This candy, "Good & Plenty", has been around since 1893..! :o

Written By: berger on 07/15/06 at 11:43 am

Remember this jingle:

I remember the Ad
It was a blk, white & pink commercial

Loved the commercial, but Good & Fruity was my favorite

Written By: CeeKay on 07/18/06 at 1:33 pm

Remember this jingle:

I totally remember that song.  If you gave me just the first line I could have sung the rest.  Great memory!

Written By: KKay on 07/18/06 at 1:34 pm

I totally remember that song.  If you gave me just the first line I could have sung the rest.  Great memory!

They brought that commercial back in the late 80s.  I used to sing it to the kids on my bus route...they thought it was hysterical.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/18/06 at 6:50 pm

This may be a regional thing but I Remember a part of of my childhood that involved the
selling of YUM-YUM, maybe Italian Ice elsewhere but here it was YUM-YUM. I would go
to a go a house, put up ten dollars for the YUM-YUM and a fifteen dollar deposit and I was
off to sell my YUM-YUM. 10 cent single scoops and twenty five cents for a full cup. If you sold
the whole barrel you earn about fifty bucks.

Written By: Tinkerbell on 07/19/06 at 1:04 pm

Hi, everybody, I am happy to find this board!  I am a real vintage 70's nut, graduated HS in 1977.  What a fun time that was. 

I remember my friends and I sitting in the school bathroom while a friend cut "feathers" in our hair with a pair of scissors.  We thought we were so hot with our flippy wings.  That chunk of hair on each side of our heads was very important!  ::) 

Famalore shoes, Candie's slides in all colors, wavy platform soles.  Kissing potion, in the bottle with the roller top- lips so greasy you could fry potatoes on them!  :o  Midnight movies with the air thick with smoke.  Concert tickets for $6, $7, and $8.  Where you lived and bought the tickets at determined where you would sit at the concert, so when you went, all your friends were there, too.  Always, always, music playing.  It was woven into the very fabric of who we were.  The boys were always in a big conflict with the adults to grow their hair long.  Chevy Novas, Custom vans, Ford Pintos, 8-track quad sound systems, (Hey, if you were cool, you had quad! And if you were REALLY cool, later, you had it with cassette), A large supply of incense and air fresheners at all times,  ???  Being just absolutely optomistic and naive enough to think nothing bad would ever touch us, and that we would be young forever.  We honestly thought nothing would ever change in the world from the way it was that very moment. 

Written By: Tinkerbell on 07/19/06 at 1:10 pm

But now many of us have grandkids.  :o  LOL!

Written By: CeeKay on 07/19/06 at 1:13 pm

Hi, everybody, I am happy to find this board!  I am a real vintage 70's nut, graduated HS in 1977.  What a fun time that was. 

Midnight movies with the air thick with smoke. 

Yeah.  Remember when you could smoke ANYWHERE?  Like, working in an office, where everybody smoked.  You'd have a whole row of secretaries' desks w/ cigs burning in the ashtrays.  Now....BLAH....DISGUSTING!  But at the time...totally normal.

Written By: Tinkerbell on 07/19/06 at 1:20 pm

Yep, I know I'm getting old, because I couldn't handle all that smoke now.  :P

Written By: haha on 07/19/06 at 1:38 pm

Take a trip down memory lane. Do You Remember When there were no computers,
no cell phones, and no cable TV. To occupy the youthful mind, entertainment was
made up and outdoors. Do you remember the rallying cry," olly, olly, ox-in free" meant
a game was about to happen, whether it was Baseball, Basketball, Soccer or Football. It
could mean, Jailbreak, Kick The Can, Break The Gate, Wireball, stoopball or just Kill The
Man with The Ball.

Do you remember,indoor activities included board games, such as Ker-Plunk, Break the Ice,
Sorry, Parcheesi, operation, or monopoly. Maybe it was G.I. Joe with the Kung Fu Grip,or
Johnny West and Butch Cavendish, Hot Wheels or Match Box.

*** I remember some indoor activities, there were these little plastic pieces(like dominoes) you set them up and they had bridges and all sorts of stuff and you let a ball go down all of these wacky things and know all of the dominoe's down. making friendship bracelets..... joanne fabrics must of made a killing then!!
watching fraggle rock, pinwheel, and pee wee's playhouse(which is back on). boardgames: how about mouse hunt, MASH(on a sheet of paper), mad libs. we used to build forts and "rough" it all day outdoors.......and we always tried to stay out a little later after the street lights came on.

Do you remember peace signs and bell bottoms, bare feet and long hair. How about
leisure suits and silk shirts, of course it was synthetic silk. Wide collars and platform shoes,
and the ever popular, home made tie-dyed jeans.

Now, let us know, what do you remember?

Written By: gemini on 07/19/06 at 4:49 pm

I remember my friends and I sitting in the school bathroom while a friend cut "feathers" in our hair with a pair of scissors.  We thought we were so hot with our flippy wings.  That chunk of hair on each side of our heads was very important!   ::) 

Famalore shoes, Candie's slides in all colors, wavy platform soles.  Kissing potion, in the bottle with the roller top- lips so greasy you could fry potatoes on them!  :o  Midnight movies with the air thick with smoke.  Concert tickets for $6, $7, and $8.  Where you lived and bought the tickets at determined where you would sit at the concert, so when you went, all your friends were there, too.  Always, always, music playing.  It was woven into the very fabric of who we were.  The boys were always in a big conflict with the adults to grow their hair long.  Chevy Novas, Custom vans, Ford Pintos, 8-track quad sound systems, (Hey, if you were cool, you had quad! And if you were REALLY cool, later, you had it with cassette), A large supply of incense and air fresheners at all times,  ???  Being just absolutely optomistic and naive enough to think nothing bad would ever touch us, and that we would be young forever.  We honestly thought nothing would ever change in the world from the way it was that very moment. 

You found a good place to hang out, sounds like we lived the same life back then! 1979 grad here! I love those shoes, I had a pair pretty much the same but without the wavy bottom. Also had the feathers, hubby had a Nova and a Gremlin! We had a friend with a yellow Chevy van with "Mellow Yellow" painted on the side, quite the little party on wheels!  ;D Thanks for the memories  :)

Written By: wndysbg on 07/21/06 at 7:01 pm

Yeah.  Remember when you could smoke ANYWHERE?  Like, working in an office, where everybody smoked.  You'd have a whole row of secretaries' desks w/ cigs burning in the ashtrays.  Now....BLAH....DISGUSTING!  But at the time...totally normal.

My high school had a designated smoking area for the students.  I graduated in 1984.  Teachers and students a like would sit in this area and smoke at breaks, lunch and between classes.

Written By: Davester on 07/22/06 at 10:00 pm

'Goose with Moto-Mags.  Damn fine ride.  This pic is almost an exact match of the one I had from 1979 through 1985 down to the color and the pads...

A few of my friends had one (and one a RedLine) but I was the only one bussin' the Moto-Mags...

Was stolen in late '85 when I hid it in the bushes next to the high school so I could watch the football game unencumbered.

You are gone, mighty 'goose, but not forgotten... :-http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/blue_goose_001_lg.jpg

Written By: Tia on 07/22/06 at 10:03 pm

hot damn i had a mongoose. as i recall they had 1s through 4s, the 1 was the best one and the 4 was the cheapest one and i had a 3. :-[ i think my folks thought if i had a really good one i would kill myself.

Written By: Davester on 07/22/06 at 10:05 pm

hot damn i had a mongoose. as i recall they had 1s through 4s, the 1 was the best one and the 4 was the cheapest one and i had a 3. :-[ i think my folks thought if i had a really good one i would kill myself.

Man, I don't remember 1's thru 4's...

I must investigate this...

Thanky...

Written By: Banks on 07/23/06 at 4:26 am

I remember...

I live in Australia and was 5 in 1977 and 7 years 7 months when the 1970's ended....So....

Playing pong in black and white......Looking at colour TVs in catalogues and thinking Id NEVER be able to watch one of them in my own home......Star Wars and playing Star Wars in the street BEFORE we had the action figures.....One Saturday a month going to the drive-in......Playing with Smurf figurines that youu could only buy at BP service stations......Playing out in the street until the lights came on in Winter......In Summer playing spotlight in the school grounds behind my house after dark (under parent supervision of course)......Watching cartoons in the morning before school and on weekend mornings......Watching It Is Written (a TV evangelist show from the USA, I live in Australia) when I woke up too early for cartoons......Waiting at the babysitters watching the door for my Mum to come home from work......Playing with cane hoola-hoops at school......Looking at the cover of The Amityville Horror novel and thinking it didnt look THAT scary......The news lasted for half an hour at 6:30PM then at 7PM a show called Willisee at 7 would come on......Watching Dukes Of Hazard and the next day playing a game based around the Dukes with our bikes on the dirt track around the corner from my home......Playing with Godaikin, which was a Godzilla type of plastic toy which was about a foot tall and you could shoot its hands off and little rockets which were put into slots around its body......

and much much more....

Written By: Davester on 07/23/06 at 5:12 am

I remember...

I live in Australia and was 5 in 1977 and 7 years 7 months when the 1970's ended....So....

Star Wars and playing Star Wars in the street BEFORE we had the action figures

Before..?  Yeah, there was a year's wait, huh..?

Playing out in the street until the lights came on in Winter

Yeah, same here...then out came the moms just to make sure we didn't forget...

In Summer playing spotlight in the school grounds behind my house after dark (under parent supervision of course)......Watching cartoons in the morning before school and on weekend mornings

If "spotlight" is similar to "flashlight tag" then I remember this, too...

Watching It Is Written (a TV evangelist show from the USA, I live in Australia) when I woke up too early for cartoons

It Is Written sounds r-e-e-e-ally familliar...

Looking at the cover of The Amityville Horror novel and thinking it didnt look THAT scary

Yup.  I thought it looked creepy with those 2nd floor windows looking like eyes...

Watching Dukes Of Hazard and the next day playing a game based around the Dukes with our bikes on the dirt track around the corner from my home......

Heh...yeah, us too.  Refer to Mongoose pictured above.  It could serve as the General Lee or Roscoe's patrol car at a moment's notice...

Playing with Godaikin, which was a Godzilla type of plastic toy which was about a foot tall and you could shoot its hands off and little rockets which were put into slots around its body......

This is cool...

I had Poseidon.  There were also "Shogun Warriors".  Basically the same except they were, like, two or three feet tall...

and much much more....

You've reminded me of a few things I had forgotten, since.  Sounds like you grew-up on my block...

Keep grooving... :)

Written By: Tia on 07/23/06 at 6:22 am

how about the godzilla with the lever on the back of its head where you flicked it and a little tab with flames painted on it stuck out of his mouth?

Written By: Banks on 07/23/06 at 7:15 am

how about the godzilla with the lever on the back of its head where you flicked it and a little tab with flames painted on it stuck out of his mouth?

Oh My God!!! I remember that!!! I had one!!!!

I also had a rubber King Kong in a pose from atop the World Trade Center.

AN

Written By: Davester on 07/23/06 at 7:26 am

My best friend, the Godzilla/Johnny Sako/Ultraman freak, had one of those bad boys...

Part of the Shogun Warriors line, perhaps..?  Can't 'member...

Written By: danootaandme on 07/23/06 at 9:51 am

It Is Written sounds r-e-e-e-ally familliar...

Ever see Lawrence of Arabia?  The part where Lawrence saves a guys life, but the other guys say the man was going to die because "It was written", later the same guy gets into some trouble and dies and the other guy says "see, it was written".  Way cool scene. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/23/06 at 11:59 am

Ever see Lawrence of Arabia?  The part where Lawrence saves a guys life, but the other guys say the man was going to die because "It was written", later the same guy gets into some trouble and dies and the other guy says "see, it was written".  Way cool scene. 
Great film, but a bit on the long side!

Written By: Davester on 07/23/06 at 6:09 pm

Egads...yes, I've seen LoA but don't ask me to quote anything from it 'cause it's been awhile...

*I must purchase that DVD..*

Strange thing.  After my nap I went to continue my very Brady weekend on TV Land (made all-the-better-while medicated), turned on the TV, which was tuned to channel 2 and, lo and behold..!  It Is Written was just ending..!  I just caught the closing credits...  I s**t you not..!

That was, uh, weird...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/06 at 6:36 pm

Egads...yes, I've seen LoA but don't ask me to quote anything from it 'cause it's been awhile...

*I must purchase that DVD..*

Strange thing.  After my nap I went to continue my very Brady weekend on TV Land (made all-the-better-while medicated), turned on the TV, which was tuned to channel 2 and, lo and behold..!  It Is Written was just ending..!  I just caught the closing credits...  I s**t you not..!

That was, uh, weird...

***Cue theme from The Twilight Zone**** (which I do remember  ;D ;D ;D)

Cat

Written By: Tia on 07/23/06 at 8:51 pm

After my nap I went to continue my very Brady weekend on TV Land (made all-the-better-while medicated)
man after my own heart. i was watching voyage to the bottoms of the seas all week, because i'm waiting for my review copy of "the flying nun" to get here.

Written By: Davester on 07/23/06 at 9:03 pm

man after my own heart. i was watching voyage to the bottoms of the seas all week, because i'm waiting for my review copy of "the flying nun" to get here.

its immnportent weall knowe how ot aprieshiate good camp inmy Humbel oppineun...

gooV one... :)

Written By: Tia on 07/23/06 at 9:08 pm

its immnportent weall knowe how ot aprieshiate good camp inmy Humbel oppineun...

gooV one... :)
ah, yes. i forgot the medication.

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 2:13 am

***Cue theme from The Twilight Zone**** (which I do remember  ;D ;D ;D)

Cat

It was the Twilight Zone...http://members.aol.com/radiodrama/serlingtwo.jpg

I really did feel the blood drain from my face.  I mean, Alright Now had just mentioned it a few hours earlier...

Should've bought a lottery ticket...

Written By: wndysbg on 07/24/06 at 1:43 pm

I remember when Arco gas stations use to give out Noah Ark animals - these little tiny animals - that you could collect and put in your Ark - everytime you got gas.  I think my mom still has the Ark and some of the little animals.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/06 at 5:01 pm

I remember when Arco gas stations use to give out Noah Ark animals - these little tiny animals - that you could collect and put in your Ark - everytime you got gas.  I think my mom still has the Ark and some of the little animals.

I remember those. Had a whole bunch of them. Have no idea what happened to them but man, if I still had them, I could sell them on e-bay for $$.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: gemini on 07/24/06 at 5:09 pm

I got it!!! I got the 1969 Penneys Christmas Catalog!! You should see some of the pics, you'll crack up! Anyone want to see anything in it, let me know, I'll scan a few pics! Ohhhh. . . . . the clothes!!  ;D

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 5:19 pm

I got it!!! I got the 1969 Penneys Christmas Catalog!! You should see some of the pics, you'll crack up! Anyone want to see anything in it, let me know, I'll scan a few pics! Ohhhh. . . . . the clothes!!  ;D

Me-me-me-me-me..! :D  The toys, gemini, the toys...

The '69 issue, no less.  Cool..!

Let's see...that would've made me around three months old... :P

Written By: gemini on 07/24/06 at 5:21 pm

Me-me-me-me-me..! :D

The '69 issue, no less.  Cool..!

Let's see...that would've made me around three months old... :P

;D  Yea, I thought the same thing when I saw the year. . . . .ohhhh, that was the year you were born  ;)  ;D  I was 8 years old then.  Ok, ok, toys it is then!  What kind of toys?

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 5:24 pm

;D  Yea, I thought the same thing when I saw the year. . . . .ohhhh, that was the year you were born  ;)  ;D  I was 8 years old then.  Ok, ok, toys it is then!

Maybe I'll see a familiar looking rattle or pacifier, or something... :D

Written By: gemini on 07/24/06 at 5:36 pm

How about bikes? Very cool  8)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/rfk1961/1969bikes1.jpg

Written By: gemini on 07/24/06 at 5:49 pm

Mens clothes?  I don't remember my dad wearing anything like this!  ;)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/rfk1961/mensclothes1.jpg

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 5:50 pm

How about bikes? Very cool  8)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/rfk1961/1969bikes1.jpg

Look what I missed.  LOL I like the name...the "Swinger"...

Those stick shifts are crazy...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/06 at 5:56 pm

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/rfk1961/mensclothes1.jpg

OMG! Call the Fashion Police-and quick!

Cat

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 5:57 pm

It's a Ralph Furley look-alike convention...

Written By: gemini on 07/24/06 at 5:57 pm

Looks like a Ralph Furley look-alike convention...

Those are men and womens matching outfits, BTW. There are 2 pages of them. My brother had some similar, I had purple with yellow and white stripes a few years later.  ;D Maybe I should just start the catalog its own thread.

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 6:01 pm

Those are men and womens matching outfits, BTW. There are 2 pages of them. My brother had some similar, I had purple with yellow and white stripes a few years later.  ;D

What are the neckerchiefs they're wearing called..?  Neckerchiefs?  Or ascots..?

Written By: gemini on 07/24/06 at 6:02 pm

What are the neckerchiefs they're wearing called..?  Neckerchiefs?  Or ascots..?

Ascots I think  :P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/06 at 6:02 pm

A piece of sh*t.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 6:07 pm

A piece of sh*t.  :D ;D ;D

Cat

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/FUREY.jpg
N-o-0-o it's not..!!!                     

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/06 at 6:10 pm

http://xbd.xanga.com/aa8b73e4c5d3239646345/b27089535.jpg
N-o-0-o it's not..!!!                   

Barney or Mr. Ferley? My guess, Mr. Ferley.

Cat

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 6:18 pm

Sorry 'bout that, Catwoman... >:(

Also, gemini, I'm interested in the electronics section of that wishbook...

I've been scouring eBay for over a year, now, for the Hitachi stereo receiver that my grandparents owned.  They gave it to me when they upgraded.  Eventually became my first "rack" system, coupled with my dad's old Panasonic turntable...

I'd appreciate it... :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/06 at 6:23 pm

You could also have something like this.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1250_ossieclark/img/designs/clients/label_5.jpg

Once again, Call the Fashion Police.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/06 at 6:30 pm

I've been scouring eBay for over a year, now, for the Hitachi stereo receiver that my grandparents owned.  They gave it to me when they upgraded.  Eventually became my first "rack" system, coupled with my dad's old Panasonic turntable...

If I know which one you are looking for, I can keep an eye out for ya.

Cat

Written By: gemini on 07/24/06 at 6:32 pm

No Hitachi's in there. Just JC Penney brand, Penncrest? Only a couple of pages and they all look pretty much like this. Sorry, not a very good scan.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/rfk1961/stereo1.jpg

Written By: Davester on 07/24/06 at 6:43 pm

If I know which one you are looking for, I can keep an eye out for ya.

Cat

You know, I cannot even find a piccy of the thing.  Anywhere...

When I find one, I'll post it here.  Merci beaucoup..!

No Hitachi's in there. Just JC Penney brand, Penncrest? Only a couple of pages and they all look pretty much like this. Sorry, not a very good scan.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/rfk1961/stereo1.jpg

Wow...

Top-left with the bookshelf speakers is getting warmer.  They all more-or-less looked the same around the same period.  I can, perhaps, narrow my old stereo down to the late 60's...

It helps in my search...

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/25/06 at 8:43 am

You could also have something like this.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1250_ossieclark/img/designs/clients/label_5.jpg

Once again, Call the Fashion Police.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

OMG That is so neat! I'd wear it.

Written By: Tia on 07/26/06 at 2:17 pm

OMG That is so neat! I'd wear it.
well YOU'D look good in it.

Written By: KKay on 07/26/06 at 2:26 pm

got anything short with fringe in that catalogue?
I also like the low hip huggers.
and something pretty for a night out.

Written By: gemini on 07/26/06 at 4:56 pm

got anything short with fringe in that catalogue?
I also like the low hip huggers.
and something pretty for a night out.

Unbelievably, there are no hip huggers in there  :o  Alot of polyester though  ;D I'm looking at more catalogs on ebay though, so maybe I'll get lucky and win another one. Here's something pretty for a night out, 1969 style!  :)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j257/rfk1961/whiteoutfit.jpg

Written By: KKay on 07/26/06 at 5:02 pm

Here's something pretty for a night out, 1969 style!  :)

I love it! 
who wouldn't look good in THAT!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/06 at 5:03 pm

Unbelievably, there are no hip huggers in there  :o  Alot of polyester though  ;D I'm looking at more catalogs on ebay though, so maybe I'll get lucky and win another one. Here's something pretty for a night out, 1969 style!  :)

The top isn't too bad but gouchos?  :P  If it was just a skirt-maybe.

Cat

Written By: gemini on 07/26/06 at 5:10 pm

The top isn't too bad but gouchos?  :P  If it was just a skirt-maybe.

Cat

Remember, we're talking 1969 here!  ;)  We all wore stuff that we thought was cool back then, but now?

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 07/26/06 at 6:37 pm

well YOU'D look good in it.

Heh, thanks!

Written By: loki 13 on 08/01/06 at 7:37 pm

This is my fringed suede jacket that I bought from the J.C.Penny Catalog in 1976,
check it out, it still fits.....kind of ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/03/06 at 9:17 am

Ok, how many people owned a pair of Earth Shoes?  I did-and yeah, they were pretty UGLY!!!

Cat

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/03/06 at 9:19 am

This is my fringed suede jacket that I bought from the J.C.Penny Catalog in 1976,
check it out, it still fits.....kind of ;D

Here's that Joe Buck!  :D

Written By: Davester on 08/06/06 at 2:04 am

Ok, how many people owned a pair of Earth Shoes?  I did-and yeah, they were pretty UGLY!!!

Cat

Are Earth Shoes similar to Wallaby's..?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/06/06 at 12:50 pm

Are Earth Shoes similar to Wallaby's..?

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:vyYOGj95FPaZsM:www.earthbeach.com/Library/images/old_earth_shoes.jpg
Earth Shoes

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:rxXNgxZ7xlOxvM:image.abcaz.co.uk/productimages/150/10329750.jpg
Wallaby's

They do look similar (at least this style of Wallaby's. There are other styles which do not look anything like the Earth Shoe.)

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/06 at 3:42 pm

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:vyYOGj95FPaZsM:www.earthbeach.com/Library/images/old_earth_shoes.jpg
Earth Shoes

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:rxXNgxZ7xlOxvM:image.abcaz.co.uk/productimages/150/10329750.jpg
Wallaby's

They do look similar (at least this style of Wallaby's. There are other styles which do not look anything like the Earth Shoe.)

Cat
I have never worn them before.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 08/06/06 at 4:08 pm

I have never worn them before.

And I would never want to!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/06 at 7:33 am

And I would never want to!
I bet their hurt your feet?

Written By: Davester on 08/11/06 at 11:12 am

Remember when "frozen entrees" were "TV Dinners"..?

go ;) ...

Written By: Tia on 08/11/06 at 11:21 am

http://www.wacotrib.com/opin/content/news/opinion/stories/2005/07/22/20050722wacrowland22.html

the guy who invented t.v. dinners died not too long ago.

Written By: Davester on 08/11/06 at 11:40 am

http://www.wacotrib.com/opin/content/news/opinion/stories/2005/07/22/20050722wacrowland22.html

the guy who invented t.v. dinners died not too long ago.

Oh, cool linkie...

I, Davester, hereby dedicate my next salisbury steak and apple cobbler with peas mixed in it to Mr. Thomas...

groove ;) on...

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/11/06 at 11:51 am

Remember when "frozen entrees" were "TV Dinners"..?

go ;) ...

And they took forever to cook in the oven...heck you coulda cooked a homemade meal in that time.  LOL!!

Written By: Tia on 08/11/06 at 11:53 am

i miss the aluminum foil ones you made in the oven.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/11/06 at 11:59 am

They were pretty good, except for the hot chocolate pudding with that skin on it...GAG!!!!

Written By: gemini on 08/12/06 at 10:18 am

Haha! Me too! I remember thinking it was a treat when we had them. God forbid, we had to eat the wonderful home cooked meals mom cooked, always with fresh veggies from the garden!  ;)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/12/06 at 10:52 am

Yeah, me too - but what was REALLY in those mashed potatoes, anyway?  ;)

Written By: Davester on 08/12/06 at 11:55 am

And they took forever to cook in the oven...heck you coulda cooked a homemade meal in that time.  LOL!!

Those are the very ones I had in mind...

You know the drill...cook/charbroil T.V. dinner, carry into faux oak wall-paneled and green shagged living room, sit down on orange naugahyde chair, place dinner on wood fold out tray, burn fingers while rolling back the foil cover before enjoying meal while watching All in the Family, Sanford and Son or The Wonderful World of Disney on the wood console Zenith...

Each time Archie says "meathead" take one bite of mystery meat.  Take two bites when he says "styfle" groove ;) on...

Written By: Tia on 08/12/06 at 1:06 pm

i liked the three-enchilada dinners. they went good with wonderful world of disney and "in search of".

Written By: Tia on 08/12/06 at 1:08 pm

although i believe we had a hitachi. you pulled on the volume knob to turn it on. it had a red-green-blue insignia on the bottom because it was... in COLOR! (oo.)

Written By: KKay on 08/12/06 at 8:10 pm

there were no laugh tracks....everything was
"recorded live in front of a studio audience"

(is 'recorded live' an oxymoron?)

Written By: Davester on 08/13/06 at 12:32 am

i liked the three-enchilada dinners. they went good with wonderful world of disney and "in search of".

LOL!  In Search Of's weird, Giorgio Moroder-like theme and the mystery meat...

although i believe we had a hitachi. you pulled on the volume knob to turn it on. it had a red-green-blue insignia on the bottom because it was... in COLOR! (oo.)

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/Hitachi.JPG

This color symbol..?  Our old Zenith had a similar symbol, but was round, if I'm not mistaken...

'Recorded Live'..?  Yeah, think so...LOL!  Reminds me of "Free Gift"...

Someone would always say, "Recorded live in front of a studio audience..." during the closing credits.  Usually a cast member..? groove ;) on...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/13/06 at 11:53 am

Hair - and lots of it - was really IN?  :D  (In particular, for guys...)

Either long locks down to there, or a giant afro.  Plus lotsa facial hair for guys.  For example:

http://users.dls.net/~faulkners/BillyPreston.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/06 at 12:05 pm

...you were young, you shone like the sun.

Written By: CeeKay on 08/14/06 at 1:43 pm

I miss that.  I think it should become a new tv fad.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/14/06 at 1:58 pm

"Filmed in living color" (as opposed to dead color  :D ;D ;D)

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 08/19/06 at 10:55 am

Remember when people carried cash. Paper money is becoming obsolete. Today it's
credit cards, debit cards, gift cards and check cards. almost no one carries cash anymore.

I guess I'm the last of a dying breed, I refuse to carry credit cards. In stores, if I can't buy it with cash
I don't buy it at all.

Written By: KKay on 08/19/06 at 12:12 pm

i could walk to visit relatives

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/06 at 8:45 am

i could walk to visit relatives
Now they were happier dyas!

Written By: loki 13 on 08/29/06 at 8:04 pm

I was looking through my closet when I came across my comic books, so do you remember

10 cent comic books, by the late 70's the prices raised all the way up to a quarter.

Every kid had to have, X-Ray Specs and Sea Monkeys.

Bubble gum cards actually had a piece of bubble gum inside and it was the size of the card.

You can have an Atlas body in seven days.

Bubble gum cigarettes with the powder inside, blow out the powder for simulated smoke.

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/29/06 at 8:47 pm

Every kid had to have, X-Ray Specs and Sea Monkees.

I almost bought my daughter Sea-monkeys this weekend!!

Written By: loki 13 on 08/29/06 at 9:15 pm

I almost bought my daughter Sea-monkeys this weekend!!

I didn't know the things still existed.  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/29/06 at 10:09 pm

I didn't know the things still existed.  ;D

Oh yes...and they even have a website!

http://www.sea-monkey.com/

I remember trying to "raise" Sea Monkeys...nothing ever happened.  LOL!!

Do you remember velvet flocked wallpaper?

http://www.flockedwallpaper.com/image/68-1007.jpg

How about the giant wooden fork and spoon hanging on the kitchen wall?

And Moms who went to 'Ceramics' and made these...

http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/22/6c/d6_2.JPG

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/30/06 at 2:03 pm

Oh yes...and they even have a website!

http://www.sea-monkey.com/

I remember trying to "raise" Sea Monkeys...nothing ever happened.  LOL!!

And Moms who went to 'Ceramics' and made these...

http://i10.ebayimg.com/02/i/08/22/6c/d6_2.JPG

You have been to my mother's house, haven't you?

We did live in a place at one time with that velvet wallpaper (but moved away many, many, many moons ago) but ours was red.  My mother also has the giant wooden fork and spoon hanging on the kitchen wall (my step-dad brought them in the Phillipines when he was stationed there in the 60s). And every Christmas, my mother brings out the ceramic Christmas tree that my step-aunt made.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 08/30/06 at 6:24 pm

My mother had the fork and spoon on our kitchen wall. my brother did somthing wrong and my
mother whacked him with the spoon and broke it in half. She then hit him with a pot for breaking
her spoon.

Written By: Tam on 08/30/06 at 11:28 pm

We had that exact wallpaper in our apartment and I believe my mom still has her fork and spoon. I'll have to call her and ask! ;)

I remember Buster Brown's and Mother's Pizzeria
Making tree forts in the field out back and having milkweed fights!
I remember faux swede clogs with actual solid wood heels and
my doll carriage - a metal one that was blue and silver.
Mostly - I remember my Gramma and her home remedies!
<---

So long ago and yet like it was yesterday!

Written By: KKay on 08/31/06 at 9:41 am

how great it was to get new clothes for school....and wearing your new shoes the first day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/06 at 12:50 pm

how great it was to get new clothes for school....and wearing your new shoes the first day.

...and then having to wear the old pair of shoes on the second day of school-term.

Written By: Tam on 08/31/06 at 1:30 pm

I made soup for lunch today..

and I remembered - when I was little I would put ice cubes in my soup to cool it down!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/06 at 1:36 pm

I made soup for lunch today..

and I remembered - when I was little I would put ice cubes in my soup to cool it down!
Sacrilege!

Written By: loki 13 on 08/31/06 at 3:51 pm

Character lunch boxes with the matching thermos. The thermos had a fragile, glass lining
that broke when the thermos fell. Then having to go home and tell your mom that your
thermos was broken. Oh, and the lunch boxes were made of metal, great for beating your
brother over the head with.  ;D

Written By: CeeKay on 08/31/06 at 4:13 pm

Character lunch boxes with the matching thermos. The thermos had a fragile, glass lining
that broke when the thermos fell. Then having to go home and tell your mom that your
thermos was broken. Oh, and the lunch boxes were made of metal, great for beating your

;D  Good one.  I can remember so many times telling my mom I broke another thermos.  She must've gotten so sick of buying new ones!  (But wasn't getting a new lunch box and thermos so fun?)

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/31/06 at 4:18 pm

My mother had the fork and spoon on our kitchen wall. my brother did somthing wrong and my
mother whacked him with the spoon and broke it in half. She then hit him with a pot for breaking
her spoon.

Sorry but I could help laughing...sort of reminds me of a childhood story of mine...I was about 3 or so and was taking a nap one afternoon.  My father and sister went out while I was asleep and I woke up while they were gone.  As soon as my dad walked in I put my hands on my hips and asked him "Where did you go?".  My dad got annoyed and whacked me on the bottom and I peed my pants when he did, he proceeded to whack me again for peeing.  Parents, gotta love 'em.  LOL!!

Written By: loki 13 on 08/31/06 at 4:26 pm

Sorry but I could help laughing...sort of reminds me of a childhood story of mine...I was about 3 or so and was taking a nap one afternoon.  My father and sister went out while I was asleep and I woke up while they were gone.  As soon as my dad walked in I put my hands on my hips and asked him "Where did you go?".  My dad got annoyed and whacked me on the bottom and I peed my pants when he did, he proceeded to whack me again for peeing.  Parents, gotta love 'em.  LOL!!

Parents then were quick to spank and no one said anything about it. If your parents were not around
your friends mom would be more than happy to give you a good whack. It's getting to the point now
were you can't even raise your voice to your children.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/31/06 at 4:28 pm

;D  Good one.  I can remember so many times telling my mom I broke another thermos.  She must've gotten so sick of buying new ones!  (But wasn't getting a new lunch box and thermos so fun?)

I broke too many, I was brown bagging by the time I reached second grade.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/06 at 7:33 pm

Too bad I still didn't have my old lunch boxes. They go for quite a lot of $$$ on e-bay.  ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/06 at 1:22 am

...but these Lunch Boxes are still around today

Written By: Gis on 09/01/06 at 4:09 am

...but these Lunch Boxes are still around today
Ahh but now they are plastic and the thermos doesn't break so easy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/06 at 1:17 pm

Ahh but now they are plastic and the thermos doesn't break so easy.
Not having yooung children at the moment, I would not know that.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/04/06 at 2:50 pm

Speaking of metal objects. Tonka Trucks were made of durable metal, metal axle rod
and real rubber tires. Remember the commercial for Tonka Trucks, To prove they were
indestructible they had an elephant stand on one.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/04/06 at 3:30 pm

Speaking of metal objects. Tonka Trucks were made of durable metal, metal axle rod
and real rubber tires. Remember the commercial for Tonka Trucks, To prove they were
indestructible they had an elephant stand on one.

That same elephant stood on a Timex watch and failed the test. When asked what time it was, the guy said, "Time to get a new watch".  ;D  Timex: Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.    ;)

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 09/05/06 at 6:15 pm

Remember when you were able to write to professional sports teams and ask for a picture
of your favorite players and they would send them to you, sometimes autographed, though
it probably was the batboy who autographed it. I'll have to dig my photo's out one day and
post them. Some of the players I remember having are:

Baseball:                        Football:                      Hockey:
  Hank Aaron                        O.J. simpson              Rick Mcleash       
  Tom Seaver                      Joe Namath                Bob Clarke
  Brooks Robinson                Bob Hayes
  Ken Brett                          Bob Lily
  Roberto Clemente              Mel Renfro
  Willie Stargell                    Calvin Hill
  Manny Sanguillen               
  Al Oliver                           
  Ollie Brown                       
  Greg Luzinsky                   
  Steve Carlton

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/06 at 6:27 pm

Remember when you were able to write to professional sports teams and ask for a picture
of your favorite players and they would send them to you, sometimes autographed, though
it probably was the batboy who autographed it. I'll have to dig my photo's out one day and
post them. Some of the players I remember having are:

Baseball:                        Football:                      Hockey:
  Hank Aaron                        O.J. simpson              Rick Mcleash       
  Tom Seaver                      Joe Namath                Bob Clark
  Brooks Robinson                Bob Hayes
  Ken Brett                          Bob Lily
  Roberto Clemente              Mel Renfro
  Willie Stargell                    Calvin Hayes
  Manny Sanguillen               
  Al Oliver                           
  Ollie Brown                       
  Greg Luzinsky                   
  Steve Carlton

Some of those could be worth $$$$ if you are willing to part with them.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 09/05/06 at 6:34 pm

I've never really thought about selling them. I have a photo album filled with pictures the
teams sent me, most of which have a signatures. I'll have to get it out one day and try
to find out what they may be worth.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/05/06 at 10:25 pm

Too bad I still didn't have my old lunch boxes. They go for quite a lot of $$$ on e-bay.  ;D ;D

Cat

I used to have a Beatles lunchbox.  :D  I beat it up to death until it was junk.  :-[  (Of course I was seven then.)  If I only knew what it would be worth...  ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/07/06 at 11:18 pm

...the Beatles had these awesome shoes everyone called Beatle boots & I begged and pleaded for my mom to buy me some, of course they weren't leather but she buckled under pressure & took me to get some. I thought I was cool  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RqsO7gBFuaQAPIijzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12bgqiue2/EXP=1157775246/**http%3a//www.worldoftile.com/Art/Shopping/beatleboots.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rqp97gBFvrkANWejzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12380h3ri/EXP=1157775357/**http%3a//www.beatwear.co.uk/acatalog/winklesm.jpg

Written By: Gis on 09/08/06 at 6:27 am

...the Beatles had these awesome shoes everyone called Beatle boots & I begged and pleaded for my mom to buy me some, of course they weren't leather but she buckled under pressure & took me to get some. I thought I was cool   http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RqsO7gBFuaQAPIijzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12bgqiue2/EXP=1157775246/**http%3a//www.worldoftile.com/Art/Shopping/beatleboots.jpg

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rqp97gBFvrkANWejzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12380h3ri/EXP=1157775357/**http%3a//www.beatwear.co.uk/acatalog/winklesm.jpg
In the U.K they were called Chelsea Boots.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/13/06 at 7:05 pm

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and they were putting the school supplies away and they were
stocking the shelves with Halloween and Christmas items.

So, remember when Halloween things were sold at the beginning of October and Christmas
Decorations didn't come out until mid to late November. Christmas Specials were shown
in December, usually they started in the second week of December.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/13/06 at 11:51 pm

In the U.K they were called Chelsea Boots.
that's what they still call them at the online stores. and of course there are varying styles, some pointer, some higher, I was happy to have my little cheap imitations back in 1965  8)

...newspapers were delivered by a kid on a bicycle.

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/14/06 at 12:48 am

Cat
8) I have a Joe Namath pic autographed...My parents owned a sporting goods store when I was little and I saw CC Ryder...I thought he was SOO cool..My dad sent for a pic and I got it..I even had 2 hermit crabs named CC and little CC..how goofy!

Written By: Banks on 09/14/06 at 1:26 am

I remember when Christmas meant watching all those Rudolph The Red-nose Raindeer and Little Drummer Boy claymations. It also meant movies like The greatest Story Ever Told and other religious movies were played for a week or two before the actual day. Now, they arent allowed to be played on Australian TV as much as they used to for fear that it might offend other religions. Now thats taking all this PC junk too far. Thank god for DVD and VHS.

hjl

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/14/06 at 2:08 am

I remember when Christmas meant watching all those Rudolph The Red-nose Raindeer and Little Drummer Boy claymations. It also meant movies like The greatest Story Ever Told and other religious movies were played for a week or two before the actual day. Now, they arent allowed to be played on Australian TV as much as they used to for fear that it might offend other religions. Now thats taking all this PC junk too far. Thank god for DVD and VHS.

hjl

yes it is taking PC way too far and spoiling so many good traditions. They still show them all here and I never knew there were so many different claymation shows. My kid loves them.

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/14/06 at 3:05 am

8) I have a Joe Namath pic autographed...

ok Bobby Brady  :D ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 09/14/06 at 3:06 am

I remember when Christmas meant watching all those Rudolph The Red-nose Raindeer and Little Drummer Boy claymations.. Thank god for DVD and VHS.

hjl

totally..i have the videos..they're the best!! 8)

Written By: GREEN67 on 09/14/06 at 5:42 am

ok Bobby Brady  :D ;D
  ;D I just luv ya!................. ::)

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/15/06 at 6:02 pm

I went to Wal-Mart yesterday and they were putting the school supplies away and they were
stocking the shelves with Halloween and Christmas items.

So, remember when Halloween things were sold at the beginning of October and Christmas
Decorations didn't come out until mid to late November. Christmas Specials were shown
in December, usually they started in the second week of December.

I swear, the summer isn't even over yet and they have the Halloween stuff out.

I remember years ago the stores weren't even decorated until the day after Thanksgiving.

Watching Christmas Specials were a big deal in our house when we were kids.  If you didn't see it that one night it was shown, you missed your chance until next year.

How about the Norelco ads with the Santa sliding down the hill in the razor?  Anyone remember that one?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/15/06 at 6:10 pm

I swear, the summer isn't even over yet and they have the Halloween stuff out.

I remember years ago the stores weren't even decorated until the day after Thanksgiving.

Watching Christmas Specials were a big deal in our house when we were kids.  If you didn't see it that one night it was shown, you missed your chance until next year.

How about the Norelco ads with the Santa sliding down the hill in the razor?  Anyone remember that one?

Classic ad with Santa. Yeah, I also remember when you missed the Christmas specials that was it. And your parents knew that you HAD to watch them or you were going to just die.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 09/16/06 at 10:10 am

Do you remember having to know where your towns Fallout Shelter was located. Every few months
your school would have drills on what to do in case of attack. We didn't have to hide under our
desk, that was a little before my time, but we did have to go outside at the sound of the siren,
line up in single file and wait for instructions. Our Fallout Shelter was two blocks away, so we never
actually made the walk but the teachers told us if we were ever attacked we must make the walk
in a calm, orderly fashion.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/06 at 11:40 am

Do you remember having to know where your towns Fallout Shelter was located. Every few months
your school would have drills on what to do in case of attack. We didn't have to hide under our
desk, that was a little before my time, but we did have to go outside at the sound of the siren,
line up in single file and wait for instructions. Our Fallout Shelter was two blocks away, so we never
actually made the walk but the teachers told us if we were ever attacked we must make the walk
in a calm, orderly fashion.

Yeah, right. A "calm, orderly fashion" my @$$. I can just see it now. If we were ever attacted, I'm sure it would be the teachers who would be running the entire 2 blocks. Those drills were always a farce. Did anyone actually believe they would be safe under a desk or in a fallout shelter for that matter?

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 09/16/06 at 11:45 am

Yeah, right. A "calm, orderly fashion" my @$$. I can just see it now. If we were ever attacted, I'm sure it would be the teachers who would be running the entire 2 blocks. Those drills were always a farce. Did anyone actually believe they would be safe under a desk or in a fallout shelter for that matter?

Cat

;D

The fallout shelter was just the basement of the biggest building in town. I always wondered why they
ran these drills because your right, how much protectection does a desk provide?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/06 at 2:11 pm

...the Beatles had these awesome shoes everyone called Beatle boots & I begged and pleaded for my mom to buy me some, of course they weren't leather but she buckled under pressure & took me to get some. I thought I was cool   http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RqsO7gBFuaQAPIijzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12bgqiue2/EXP=1157775246/**http%3a//www.worldoftile.com/Art/Shopping/beatleboots.jpg

I can only see a red cross now.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/18/06 at 12:14 am

...cigarette commercials were a normal adverstisement on TV
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5qdHKQ5FfskAUe2jzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=11s0ic63n/EXP=1158642375/**http%3a//rutgerbooy.nl/MG%2520Tareyton.jpg

and the hottest bicycle had a stick-shift, of course they originated in the late 60's but 1970 saw a few made.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mXKKg5FVvEAxeajzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12dk1bu82/EXP=1158642762/**http%3a//4x4icon.com/offroad/1970_Schwinn_Orange_Krate1.jpg

Written By: loki 13 on 09/18/06 at 4:33 pm

and the hottest bicycle had a stick-shift, of course they originated in the late 60's but 1970 saw a few made.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5mXKKg5FVvEAxeajzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NDgyNWN0BHNlYwNwcm9m/SIG=12dk1bu82/EXP=1158642762/**http%3a//4x4icon.com/offroad/1970_Schwinn_Orange_Krate1.jpg

My brother had a bike that looked similar, his was called a "Blue Beard." He kept it in great shape, he
washed it all the time and made sure the chain was well oiled. I, on the other hand, use to beat my
bikes up, jumping ramps and curbs, riding down hills and through woods. One day I need parts for my
bike. A new ramp was built and my bike had a bent seat post, bent rims and flat tires. Needless to say,
my brothers bike didn't look like this anymore.  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 10/14/06 at 10:25 am

a discussion came up about the baseball play-offs, in case of a rain out would they play
a double-header. that had me thinking,

remember when baseball use to schedule double-headers. They would play at least
three scheduled double-headers a year.

Written By: Lindee on 10/16/06 at 11:08 am

10 cent candy bars,
Wood Nickel stores where every pair of pants costs only $5.99
45 and 33 records
magazines were only 50 cents
concert tickets were cheap (no extra charge)
pay phones
Wacky Packages
commercials for all the Ronco products

Written By: spaceace on 10/16/06 at 7:33 pm

I remember when all the kids in my neighborhood wanted a "Hotdog" it was a type of skateboard.  The Banana Splits came on at 5:00pm.  I remember hearing about TMI, and my parents panicing about it.  I remember when friendship bracelets were the thing to give.

Written By: KKay on 10/16/06 at 7:57 pm

i loved the mr. microphone commercial!!!

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/06 at 2:23 pm

...the feel good, positivity singing group  UP WITH PEOPLE!!  toured the world and brought their message of peace and harmony and goodwill everywhere they sang their concerts.  My sister was in one of the casts and toured the country and some other nations.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/06 at 2:29 pm

...the feel good, positivity singing group  UP WITH PEOPLE!!  toured the world and brought their message of peace and harmony and goodwill everywhere they sang their concerts.  My sister was in one of the casts and toured the country and some other nations.

My step-daughter's ex-husband toured with Up With People, too.

Cat

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 11/07/06 at 2:47 pm

My step-daughter's ex-husband toured with Up With People, too.

Cat
cool  8)  my family saw them when my sisters cast performed anywhere near us in Northern Cal.  i was about 10-12 at the time and thought they were awesome. we had their albums. 

Written By: wndysbg on 11/15/06 at 4:58 pm

I remember when all the kids in my neighborhood wanted a "Hotdog" it was a type of skateboard.  The Banana Splits came on at 5:00pm.  I remember hearing about TMI, and my parents panicing about it.  I remember when friendship bracelets were the thing to give.

I loved the Banana Splits - GREAT SHOW!  I remember all of us running through the neighborhood yelling ,
"Uh-Oh Tawngo!"  Then trying to do Tawngo's yell from Danger Island.

Written By: Davester on 12/04/06 at 4:48 am

Remember when Bubble Yum bubblegum was infested with spider eggs..?

I wonder if that one went nationwide...

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/04/06 at 9:07 am

Yep- mid 70's, and it was discovered that there were shipments of bubble gum that somehow had spider eggs in it. But that was ok, I liked Bazooka Joe better. It had comics in it with a fortune, and if you sent in a gajillion wrappers, they would send you a cool prize!

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/04/06 at 9:20 am

Parents then were quick to spank and no one said anything about it. If your parents were not around
your friends mom would be more than happy to give you a good whack. It's getting to the point now
were you can't even raise your voice to your children.

Oh yes... I remember those days, but not with a fondness. I tell you what though, kids were better off knowing that parents everywhere were keeping them in line. And if they couldn't catch you, they would yell out "I'll tell your parents!". They would too, because everybody knew everybody else, and Dad would be waiting for you at home with his belt in his hand!

And just a side note on your comment about not being able to raise your voice to your kids- DCF, the Department of Children and Families, can and will come to your house, just because of a kids made up story, or a vengful person being a jerk. They will strip your child to check for marks, check your pantries, and remove the child if they just think there is a problem. They then place the child into a home that is usually more dangerous than the one they were removed from. There were something like 48 child deaths over a 5 year period, due to Social Workers negligence- or ignorance. Like the DCF worker who told a Mom she could continue to smoke crack as long as she left the child next door. And the worst part of this, is that all the workers are kept anonymous in these reports, and may be subject to suspension or reprimand, but never criminally punished or even fired.

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/04/06 at 12:02 pm

Now, I'm sure if I smelled it, it would take me right back to that theatre. They say that the sense of smell has the longest memory than any of the other senses.

Cat

Who else remembers sniffing the mimiographs? Or an E Ticket?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/04/06 at 1:03 pm

Who else remembers sniffing the mimiographs? Or an E Ticket?

Yup-used to do that. I don't remember an "E Ticket". I always thought that was a California thing and since I never lived in California... :-\\  Actually, my first out there was only about 7 years ago.

Cat

Written By: Banks on 12/04/06 at 11:44 pm

'Oh yes... I remember those days, but not with a fondness. I tell you what though, kids were better off knowing that parents everywhere were keeping them in line. And if they couldn't catch you, they would yell out "I'll tell your parents!". They would too, because everybody knew everybody else, and Dad would be waiting for you at home with his belt in his hand!'

I remember that happening to me. I also remember running from my Mum when I was about 7 because Id told her to 'get lost' in not so nice terms. It was about 7PM on a friday night, and because it was getting dark I went to my friends house and planned to sleep under his house (Id seen this on TV a few weeks before). Unfortunately for me his mother found me and told me that my Mum had rang her (at this point I was wishing the day we'd gotten a telephone a year earlier hadnt happened), and that she had something for me...At this point I copped a wholloping from my friends Mum. Then she drove me home, where I copped it again. Needless to say I never swore at or around my Mum again.

Ive noticed that, at least here in Australia, you can track teenage and 20 something crimes rising from around the time that 'smacking' became a taboo thing in Australian society. Caining of children at school went out in the mid to late 1980's, and its those kids and those that have come after, who are the ones causing a majority of the crime problems at least here in Australia.

AN

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/07/06 at 3:40 am

I remember....

The board game "Bonkers".

The game "Mr. Mouth". (Always looked kinda like H.R. Pufnstuf, to me.)

Cars called "Crickets". (We used to own one, when I was about 3.)

Coke bottles being glass, and having to actually open them at the store, as the good bottle/can opener was reserved for Dad's beer.

Beers with no flip-tabs or pull-rings.

Candies called "Buttons", that came on wax paper, and usually about 8 to a row.

Penny candy.

2XL, the Learning Robot with 8-Track tapes.

8-Track Tapes.

The original versions of the games "Pay Day", "Careers", and "Life".

The TV show "Mork & Mindy".

The TV show "Bosom Buddies".

Underoos.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/07/06 at 11:31 am

I remember....

Candies called "Buttons", that came on wax paper, and usually about 8 to a row.

Oh em gee, I remember those things. And sometimes the paper pulled off with the candy. That sucked.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/06 at 12:05 pm

Oh em gee, I remember those things. And sometimes the paper pulled off with the candy. That sucked.

We called them "Dots" but yeah, the paper came off, too.  :P  Extra fiber?  :D

Cat

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/07/06 at 12:36 pm

Buttons go right up there with wax lips, liquid filled wax bottles and tubes... and anyone else remember the wax harmonicas?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/06 at 12:53 pm

Buttons go right up there with wax lips, liquid filled wax bottles and tubes... and anyone else remember the wax harmonicas?

Yeah, I remember those. I thought they were cool. I also remember candy necklaces/bracelets and candy cigerattes.  :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 12/07/06 at 1:00 pm

I totally remember the wax bottles. I was never too fond of them, though.

I still wear/eat candy necklaces, and I used to eat candy cigarettes, until I got the real ones XD

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/07/06 at 1:39 pm

The wax bottles with the sugar syrup in 'em!
And you always had to chew the wax up, just to make sure you got that last little excess that soaked into the wax!

Candy cigarettes! I used one of those, when I played in "Grease". It had a fake "cherry" on it, and when you exhaled on it, it actually blew "smoke". People thought I was gross, when I ate it. :D

Candy jewellery...it's a good thing we didn't worry about blood-borne diseases like we do now.
Those things are the ones you'd save 'til 5 pm. It'd be nasty, bugs on it, and you'd tell your friends, "Yeah, go ahead! Get some!"
You'd get 12 kids biting, putting slobber on your neck!

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/07/06 at 2:18 pm

I used to get those wax harmonicas at the corner Teneco gas station, and they used to have these little film viewers for under a buck. It was sort of like the viewmaster, but instead of a stereophonic picture disk, it had a film strip. The only film I can remember is Bonanza, but I know I had several of them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/06 at 2:34 pm

I used to get those wax harmonicas at the corner Teneco gas station, and they used to have these little film viewers for under a buck. It was sort of like the viewmaster, but instead of a stereophonic picture disk, it had a film strip. The only film I can remember is Bonanza, but I know I had several of them.

I have a couple of those film strips. They came in a box of books we got at an auction-but no viewer, though.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/07/06 at 3:15 pm

Which strips do you have?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/07/06 at 3:42 pm

Which strips do you have?

Alvin & the Chipmonks and Mighty Mouse.

Cat

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/08/06 at 2:10 pm

I remember...those "Elvis" trading cards with that nasty-arse bubble gum that was more of a chewing exercise, and couldn't blow bubbles worth a spit!

Written By: Capt Quirk on 12/08/06 at 3:02 pm

Was the Elvis gum any worse than the gum that came with the Garbage Pail Kids stickers, or the Superhero cards, or the Charlie's Angels cards? Or any of the other trading cards for that matter?

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 12/08/06 at 3:03 pm

Dunno...that's the only one I remember.

Although, I DO remember chipping a tooth on that gum!

Written By: Banks on 12/09/06 at 2:11 am

I still have some of them too!!!

The ones I have ame out (here in Australia) around the early 1980's Im pretty sure. They were released here as part of the View Master franchise. The films were in 'film canasters' which could be connected to the viewer at the front. When you pressed the button the film would roll through and you had to hold it up to the light to see the footage. It was in an endless loop which ran about 30 seconds to a minute. I still have cartoons of Superman, Spiderman, The Smurfs, Monkey Magic and Speed Racer. The non-animated ones I have are of Good Times, shots of The Buggles music video for Video Killed The Radio Star and a 'dirty' movie with nude women walking and jumping around that looks like its from the 1960's. Dont ask me how I came to own the rude film. I think my elder cousin had it and he left it at my house one time.

I used to have a lot more film reels though.

I also remember they released a version which had a soundtrack during the mid 1980's as well.

AN

Written By: bubbarx on 01/10/07 at 8:34 pm

I can only see a red cross now.

same here, 5th grade, got them right before Christmas, thought I was the coolest thing ever!!!
;D

Written By: malibumike65 on 01/11/07 at 10:04 pm

I'm Canadian, so we only had two english TV channels growing up in the early 70's, CBC and CTV. We had those freakin rabbit ears that were never good at bringing in a clear reception. On Saturday nights, my job was to, in case of interference, hold the antenna at different angles while the old man watched his hockey games. Man, I was glad when cable TV came along. I also can't say that I miss the 8-track players either. Having to jimmy a knife, or folded up cardboard into the slot to stop the tape from dragging was a pain. 

Check for new replies or respond here...