inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What shaped the 70s?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/19/06 at 7:38 pm

When you look at a decade as a whole (any decade, not just the 70s), many times there's one event or several events that shape the way people view it.  Maybe it's political, maybe it's musical, maybe it's cultural......whatever.  In your opinion, what are some of the events, people, and moments that most shaped the way we view the 70s?  Was it Vietnam?  Watergate?  Oil/Gas crisis?  Munich Olympics?  Disco? 

Subject: Re: What shaped the 70s?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/19/06 at 8:07 pm

I tend to view the '70s in three different ways - I always associate the '70s with the pop culture of the time, as well as some major national and international events.

I often refer to the gas crisis' of 1973/79; Watergate; Disco, Disaster movies, Fashion by Halston, Studio 54, leftover Hippies from the '60s, roller derbies, plaid clothing and bell bottoms, Jimmy Carter, "All in the Family," "Good Times," and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," The Godfather I & II, Grease, Star Wars, James Bond, etc.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 11:45 pm

I tend to view the '70s in three different ways - I always associate the '70s with the pop culture of the time, as well as some major national and international events.

I often refer to the gas crisis' of 1973/79; Watergate; Disco, Disaster movies, Fashion by Halston, Studio 54, leftover Hippies from the '60s, roller derbies, plaid clothing and bell bottoms, Jimmy Carter, "All in the Family," "Good Times," and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," The Godfather I & II, Grease, Star Wars, James Bond, etc.

Yeah, that's a pretty good summation.

I think the economic downturn, a sort of 'soberity' mixed with a weird party/hedonistic vibe after the hippie era, an obsession with tech and the future - overall, there's a tangible bleakness about the decade as a whole, 50s nostalgia was strong (American Graffiti/Grease.etc), yet it was also a very forward looking decade. TV and cinema ranged from abhorrently explicit to saccharine and family friendly (e.g. Brady Bunch, H.R. Puff'n'Stuff), it was plasticky, gaudy, yet eminently blood soaked.

Written By: Dan Biesheuvel on 06/20/06 at 8:08 am

the Vietnam War
  Led Zepplin
      Watergate
        Aerosmith
            Elephant bell bottom jeans and those boots with square toes and brass ring straps
              Frisbee playing in the park with a case of Miller Long Neck bottled beer.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/21/06 at 9:38 am

Quite simply, my birth! lol  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/21/06 at 1:22 pm

An overarching sense of bleakness, and an infatuation with a sort of bleak, apocalyptic, Cold War world. I think that's why people wore bright fashions and partied their woes away...Maybe? I dunno, I didn't live through that tumult-filled decade.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/21/06 at 2:16 pm

Here's a description from Amazon.com of a book I was reading about called The Seventies: The Great Shift in American Culture, Society, and Politics by Bruce J. Schulman:

"During the era that Jonathan Livingston Seagull was soaring high on self-help platitudes, the Village People were bringing a campy sensibility to the discos, and 'Ms.' was replacing older forms of female address, the United States, according to Schulman, was undergoing some of the most drastic and profound changes in its history. A professor of history and director of American Studies at Boston University, Schulman has fashioned a sprightly, neatly detailed and enlightening history of a period that many historians have written off as an uneventful time. While Saturday Night Live embodied the 'contempt for authority' that was prevalent during the period, it was, he says, also part of a culture that 'reinvented America' in ways that were deeply progressive and political. From social movements like feminism, gay liberation and the 'gray panthers,' to the emergence of Jimmy Carter and the politics of the sunbelt, to the startling notion of 'diversity' 'the prospect of unlike, unassimilable groups as a good to be valued' the 1970s altered basic concepts about the individual, race, economics, politics and society. This book's power comes from its ability to capture both the myriad contradictions as well as the cultural and political syncopations of the time. Schulman's breadth of examples from popular and political culture and his ability to use them to illuminate one another make for astute analysis as well as colorful social history. Far more historically accurate, nuanced and judicious than David Frum's How We Got Here: The 70's (2000), this is an important contribution to modern American social history and the literature of popular culture."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/030681126X/ref=pd_rvi_gw_1/102-6664986-3160933?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

Written By: Davester on 06/21/06 at 3:34 pm

Heh...yeah, could be argued... :P

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/23/06 at 12:47 am

Heh...yeah, could be argued... :P

hahahaha  ;D  ;D

Thanks I needed a laugh today!!

Written By: ktelqueen on 06/23/06 at 12:52 am

disco  8) :D

Written By: whiteport on 06/23/06 at 8:55 am

Back in the 70's Me and my Stoner Friends would swear we shaped the decade, But looking back now I guess we were just a speck on it all.

What about these three ? http://www.comicgenius.com/DiscoFever/downloads/charlies_angels_1976.jpgThey were pretty Shapely back in the 70s  ;)

Written By: Davester on 06/23/06 at 4:48 pm

Back in the 70's Me and my Stoner Friends would swear we shaped the decade, But looking back now I guess we were just a speck on it all.

What about these three ? http://www.comicgenius.com/DiscoFever/downloads/charlies_angels_1976.jpgThey were pretty Shapely back in the 70s  ;)

No argument here...

Kate Jackson...*mmmmm-MMMMMMM*!!

Written By: tomario on 06/24/06 at 5:55 am

music sport and politics same as all other decades

but the seventies were mad and i had a hell of a time

no cctv no credit checks no computer monitoring no aids no worries no over priced sports men only 3 tv channels Kate Jackson...*mmmmm-MMMMMMM*!!
radio 1 was ok no sell by dates and my mum was still around (miss you mum :\'()

Written By: Cherie70 on 06/26/06 at 12:32 am

Me too when I was born.  But I love the fun that was associated with the seventies.  Now everything is political, can't people just have fun?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/26/06 at 6:53 pm

No argument here...

My dad said Kate was his favorite of the Charlies Angels, yet, I still think Jaclyn Smith is the prettiest of the three.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/27/06 at 3:41 pm

My dad said Kate was his favorite of the Charlies Angels, yet, I still think Jaclyn Smith is the prettiest of the three.

Jaclyn Smith was by far the hottest.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/27/06 at 3:42 pm

Jaclyn Smith was by far the hottest.

Yeah, I think so, too. Yet, SO many people think Farrah Fawcett was so beautiful. I don't really think so at all.

Written By: Howard on 09/03/17 at 2:47 pm

Was anybody on here able to visit Studio 54 back in the days? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...