inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was the '70s Really All About Disco?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/21/06 at 5:23 pm

Subject: Re: Was the '70s Really All About Disco?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/21/06 at 7:05 pm

No, not at all. It was also "all about" stadium rock, prog rock, singer-songwriters, cheesy pop like the Osmonds, cheesy A/C like Barbra Streisand and Elton John, punk, folkpop, etc. Disco has probably been exaggerated to be THE single biggest movement of the decade. It was around from about 1974 to the middle of 1979...stuff like "More More More" by Andrea True and "The Hustle" by Van McCoy was some of the first of it. However, it was a dramatic chart phenomenon on the level of teen pop, glam rap, Motown, the 1st and 2nd British Invasions, etc.

Written By: Davester on 06/22/06 at 5:48 am

No...

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/22/06 at 5:58 am

No!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/23/06 at 12:54 am

No, nope, non,

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/23/06 at 2:35 am

No, not at all. It was also "all about" stadium rock, prog rock, singer-songwriters, cheesy pop like the Osmonds, cheesy A/C like Barbra Streisand and Elton John, punk, folkpop, etc. Disco has probably been exaggerated to be THE single biggest movement of the decade. It was around from about 1974 to the middle of 1979...stuff like "More More More" by Andrea True and "The Hustle" by Van McCoy was some of the first of it. However, it was a dramatic chart phenomenon on the level of teen pop, glam rap, Motown, the 1st and 2nd British Invasions, etc.

Well said.

No, Disco was just the overall "cheesiest"/most datable thing of the '70s ;D, but I think sayinf the '70s was all Disco is kinda like saying the '80s was exactly like The Wedding Singer, or that the '90s were all Grunge and Starbucks.

Especially the earlier '70s were also political, completing the changes started in the '60s (now that I think about it, while it was close by c. 1971, I think the absolutely modern Political era began around 1974, after Nixon resigned, although by 1969-71 I'm sure it was changed enough for people to know open racism and colored seating were a thing of the past).

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/23/06 at 4:35 am

Well said.

No, Disco was just the overall "cheesiest"/most datable thing of the '70s ;D, but I think sayinf the '70s was all Disco is kinda like saying the '80s was exactly like The Wedding Singer, or that the '90s were all Grunge and Starbucks.

Especially the earlier '70s were also political, completing the changes started in the '60s (now that I think about it, while it was close by c. 1971, I think the absolutely modern Political era began around 1974, after Nixon resigned, although by 1969-71 I'm sure it was changed enough for people to know open racism and colored seating were a thing of the past).

Disco was to the 70s what the Hippie thing was to the 60s. Something so recognizeable that it came to stand for the decade. As James said, it was possibly the most cheesy thing in the 70s - bar early 90s teen-stars/family sitcoms/kids shows, and hence people like to 'take the piss out of it' or poke fun at it. I think the Disco aesthetic and lifestyle have become inseperable from peoples' ideals or perceptions of the 70s - a sense of freedom (e.g. Boogie Nights), experimentation, having a good time...a bit like how the Hippie Movement and 'Free Love' was sort of novelized. Disco itself WAS undoubtedly the most mainstream and dominant form of music in the late 70s from about 1976 to 1979 - punk is often cited as being extremely influential, but people forget it DID NOT DOMINATE THE AM RADIO CHARTS (or really even the FM charts) as did Disco, or even Prog Rock. Punk has always been an Underground thing, and Disco a very mainstream thing.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 7:01 am

Disco was to the 70s what the Hippie thing was to the 60s. Something so recognizeable that it came to stand for the decade. As James said, it was possibly the most cheesy thing in the 70s - bar early 90s teen-stars/family sitcoms/kids shows, and hence people like to 'take the piss out of it' or poke fun at it. I think the Disco aesthetic and lifestyle have become inseperable from peoples' ideals or perceptions of the 70s - a sense of freedom (e.g. Boogie Nights), experimentation, having a good time...a bit like how the Hippie Movement and 'Free Love' was sort of novelized. Disco itself WAS undoubtedly the most mainstream and dominant form of music in the late 70s from about 1976 to 1979 - punk is often cited as being extremely influential, but people forget it DID NOT DOMINATE THE AM RADIO CHARTS (or really even the FM charts) as did Disco, or even Prog Rock. Punk has always been an Underground thing, and Disco a very mainstream thing.

I always thought part of the reason say, grunge, didn't top charts is that while the albums were huge, the singles weren't. Almost everyone owned/owns Nevermind, and I think it might be the single biggest album of the '90s, but "Smells Like Teen Spirit" only got to #5. Ditto with punk, experimental new wave, etc.

Actually, in some ways disco (the music itself, not the fashion and culture surrounding it) is less dateable than stuff like the Osmonds, the Carpenters, Debby Boone, or John Denver, or something like "Kung Fu Fighting." Disco was the most influential music of the last 1/4 of the 20th century (if you're looking at charts, which don't focus on true rock as much), influencing almost all dance-pop today, along with club-wave (Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys), techno and electronica, house, and directly spawning all rap/hip-hop music.

Written By: Bobby on 06/24/06 at 4:37 pm

Oh dear, that's like asking "Was the 80s really all about New Wave?"

The answer: No

Written By: Cherie70 on 06/26/06 at 12:27 am

;D  The 70's was a time for expaneded expression and cultural changes that allow people to do what they want.  Let me elaborate, The movie industry started accepting black movies in the main stream.  Sexual expression was also widely accepted.  The disco music seemed to evolve from all these facets with clothing and open expression. So to say that Disco was about Disco is very off the mark.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/26/06 at 7:38 pm

I always thought part of the reason say, grunge, didn't top charts is that while the albums were huge, the singles weren't. Almost everyone owned/owns Nevermind, and I think it might be the single biggest album of the '90s, but "Smells Like Teen Spirit" only got to #5. Ditto with punk, experimental new wave, etc.

Actually, in some ways disco (the music itself, not the fashion and culture surrounding it) is less dateable than stuff like the Osmonds, the Carpenters, Debby Boone, or John Denver, or something like "Kung Fu Fighting." Disco was the most influential music of the last 1/4 of the 20th century (if you're looking at charts, which don't focus on true rock as much), influencing almost all dance-pop today, along with club-wave (Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys), techno and electronica, house, and directly spawning all rap/hip-hop music.

Yes, Disco is probably a less cheesy genre (with exceptions) than 80s dance pop music, or even early 70s pop (I bet some people couldn't tell when it was made), but of course when people listen to disco music they can't help think about platforms, and heavy gold chains and the like.

Check for new replies or respond here...