inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Boney M

Written By: whistledog on 07/07/06 at 2:04 am

Boney M was a Euro Disco group who gained fame in the 1970s.  Despite all their success, they only managed one Top 40 hit in America

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/01/19/BoneyM_wideweb__470x253,0.jpg

-- GROUP MEMBERS --

Marcia Barrett
Bobby Farrell
Maizie Williams
Reggie Tsiboe
Liz Mitchell

-- BIOGRAPHY --

The group was created by producer Frank Farian in 1975 and was composed of four West Indian artists working in London, Germany and the Netherlands: singers Marcia Barrett and Liz Mitchell, model Maizie Williams and DJ Bobby Farrell. Boney M. is noted for the mix of white and black music

Subject: Re: Boney M

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/07/06 at 2:05 am

The second to right looks kinda like Tim Meadows there...

Written By: Paul on 07/07/06 at 5:51 pm

"Rivers of Babylon", with lyrics partially based on Psalm 137, became the second highest selling single of all time in the UK in 1978. After Rivers of Babylon slipped back down the chart, the B-side "Brown Girl in the Ring" was given extensive airplay on radio and the single climbed back up the chart to #2. It eventually sold 500 copies short of 2 million.

There was actually a very good chance that some people bought the record twice, not realising that 'Brown Girl' was on the flip of 'Babylon'...they probably just went into the record shop asking for Boney M's 'new' record!

It's a Dickens of a job actually finding a compilation of their best work without some sort of cruddy remix being involved...can't some record companies leave well enough alone?

Written By: whistledog on 07/07/06 at 8:04 pm

There was actually a very good chance that some people bought the record twice, not realising that 'Brown Girl' was on the flip of 'Babylon'...they probably just went into the record shop asking for Boney M's 'new' record!

It's a Dickens of a job actually finding a compilation of their best work without some sort of cruddy remix being involved...can't some record companies leave well enough alone?

"The Magic of Boney M" is really the only one with non-remixes.  They have like too many remix albums.  It's almost ridiculous.  lol

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/09/11 at 11:51 pm

Boney M was a Euro Disco group who gained fame in the 1970s.  Despite all their success, they only managed one Top 40 hit in America

It took more than 30 years, but 2010-2011 brought 'em back with a vengeance, courtesy Duck Sauce.

October 2010: The original Duck Sauce take on Gotta Go Home.
uu_zwdmz0hE

November 2010:  T&A (TB1 & David A) found it and mixed it.
cagGtHtJMNo

It fiddled around on the dance floor for a few months, there are several remixes worth googling for, and we've got a few of them (including the album of Duck Sauce remixes) on our Spot the Sample: Your Favorite Songs Reborn thread.

March 2011:  Cali HD brings in the Charlie Sheen.
ESe5NGzBDTk

March 2011: One day later, so does Tom Loud.
-Tx7nZt6BRo

April 2011: Yup, Glee jumps in on the pile.

gks71y1le74

Sure, it probably jumped the shark about then, but if you've got more mix, we've got diskspace for a link to it.

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/11 at 8:13 pm

This thread is so old, it got cut off.  Here's a recap of their chart performance in North America, the UK and Netherlands

SINGLES

1975 - Baby Do You Wanna Bump
1976 - Daddy Cool
1976 - Sunny
1977 - Ma Baker
1977 - Belfast
1978 - Rivers of Babylon / Brown Girl in the Ring <Double AA Side>
1978 - Rivers of Babylon
1978 - Brown Girl in the Ring
1978 - Rasputin / Painter Man <Double AA Side>
1978 - Rasputin
1979 - Painter Man
1978 - Mary's Boy Child / Oh My Lord
1979 - Hooray! Hooray! (It's A Holi-Holiday)
1979 - El Lute / Gotta Go Home <Double AA Side>
1979 - Gotta Go Home
1979 - I'm Born Again / Bahama Mama <Double AA Side>
1979 - I'm Born Again
1980 - My Friend Jack
1980 - I See A Boat On The River
1981 - Children of Paradise
1981 - Malaika
1981 - We Kill the World (Don't Kill the World)
1984 - Kalimba De Luna
1988 - Mary's Boy Child (Megamix)
1989 - Rasputin (Re-issue)
1989 - Summer Megamix
1990 - Stories <Boney M and Liz Mitchell>
1992 - Boney M Megamix
1993 - Brown Girl in the Ring <remix>
1999 - Ma Baker / Somebody Screamed <Boney M vs. Horny United>
2001 - Daddy Cool 2001
2007 - Mary's Boy Child / Oh My Lord <re-issue>

ALBUMS

1976 - Take the Heat Off Me
1977 - Love For Sale
1978 - Nightflight to Venus
1979 - Oceans of Fantasy
1980 - The Magic of Boney M
1981 - Boonoonoonoos
1981 - Christmas Album
1986 - The Best of 10 Years
1993 - Boney M Gold
1993 - More Gold - 20 Superhits Volume II
1993 - Greatest Hits
2006 - The Magic of Boney M
2007 - Christmas with Boney M

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/11 at 8:16 pm

^ If you notice, all singles since 1988 are all remixes

With that Duck Sauce track, it did bring rise to 'Gotta Go Home' in the USA.  It took awhile, but 'Barbara Streisand' by Duck Sauce finally entered the US chart at #89.  Only time will tell how big of a hit it will become there.  It was already Top 50 in Canada, and Top 10 in the UK.

I'm just waiting to see if 'Gotta Go Home' will end up re-charting in the UK.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/12/11 at 8:26 pm

I hope someone connected with the original group is getting at least some royalties out of it.  They could stand on their own in their own time, but it's fascinating how they've achieved semi-immortality by working with, not against, remix culture.

Written By: Paul on 05/20/11 at 9:29 am

I hope someone connected with the original group is getting at least some royalties out of it.  They could stand on their own in their own time, but it's fascinating how they've achieved semi-immortality by working with, not against, remix culture.

I sadly doubt it...not if the all-conquering Frank Farian was involved! (Refer to the Milli Vanilli story for full, gory details...)

Written By: King Tut on 08/28/11 at 11:45 am

They didn't get enough air-time over the radio in Canada. I've discovered so many of their songs since the early 1980s.

Written By: Bobby on 09/01/11 at 8:22 pm

I have a 17 track 'best of' Boney M compilation with no-remixes, have had it for a few years now.

With that Duck Sauce track, it did bring rise to 'Gotta Go Home' in the USA.  It took awhile, but 'Barbara Streisand' by Duck Sauce finally entered the US chart at #89.  Only time will tell how big of a hit it will become there.  It was already Top 50 in Canada, and Top 10 in the UK.

I'm just waiting to see if 'Gotta Go Home' will end up re-charting in the UK.

I stumbled on the original song Boney M copied. This was made in 1973:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXiMQ0J2So

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/11 at 9:21 pm

I have a 17 track 'best of' Boney M compilation with no-remixes, have had it for a few years now.

I stumbled on the original song Boney M copied. This was made in 1973:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXiMQ0J2So

Alot of people don't know Gotta Go Home was based off another song, even now moreso since Duck Sauce have stated they sampled 'Barbra Streisand' from Boney M

Written By: Bobby on 09/01/11 at 9:30 pm

Alot of people don't know Gotta Go Home was based off another song, even now moreso since Duck Sauce have stated they sampled 'Barbra Streisand' from Boney M

The original seems way ahead of it's time. Disco in 1973...

I call it the 'Everything I own' dilemma. This is from when I heard the song 'Everything I own' covered by Boy George in 1987. From listening to my dad's records I was furious Boy George covered what I thought was a Ken Boothe original. Years later, I was thrown for a loop when I found out Bread were the original creators of the song not Ken Boothe, lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...