inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mr Yuk is mean, Mr Yuk is green

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/10/06 at 3:03 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkT4peQdbs

excellent commercial... going to have to make sure my youngster sees it when he hits 2

Subject: Re: Mr Yuk is mean, Mr Yuk is green

Written By: star500 on 07/10/06 at 6:00 pm

Its funny you should mention that.....I was just doing a random '70s commerical search on YouTube and I came across that commerical. I watched it and thought it was hilaurious....but don't show it to your 2 year old! That is cruel, LOL. It is fairly scary and may scare some young kids who see it. I wouldn't show it to a kid until they know the difference between real and imaginary.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/10/06 at 8:09 pm

I love Mr. Yuk!! I sent away for some stickers and had Vaughn put them on all of the poisonous items in the house!! ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/10/06 at 8:23 pm

but don't show it to your 2 year old! That is cruel, LOL. It is fairly scary and may scare some young kids who see it. I wouldn't show it to a kid until they know the difference between real and imaginary.

That's kind of the point though.  Put the fear into him of those stickers so he stays away. 

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/10/06 at 8:28 pm

Sweet!  Mr. Yuk used to be a member here back in the day.  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 07/10/06 at 10:34 pm

I remeber when Mr Yuk was a member.  That was a long time ago.  Those were the days.

Written By: gemini on 07/11/06 at 7:43 am

;D  How did I miss that? I was 10 years old in 1971 when that commercial was aired, and I don't remember it at all. Pretty cool though!  :D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/14/06 at 3:55 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkT4peQdbs

excellent commercial... going to have to make sure my youngster sees it when he hits 2

I actually remember that!  Even all these decades later, I still find myself humming it from time to time.

They actually made it because of several cases involving children getting poisoned, even though the items were labeled with the traditional "skull & crossbones" symbol.  It seems that some of the kids saw it, and thought it was "Pirate Candy".  So somebody thought that a more effective symbol would be "Mr. Yuk", which was not appealing at all.

Check for new replies or respond here...