inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fat Albert

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/10/06 at 9:40 pm

Just hired the 'Greatest Hits' from the video store - it was quite a nice little cartoon - with good old-fashioned morals, debatable music, and alot of corny jokes - but I felt it was missing something. The character of Fat Albert wasn't as 'defined' as he could be (I know it's a cartoon, lol). But overall, one of the better kids shows of the early 70s.

Subject: Re: Fat Albert

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/10/06 at 9:42 pm

I used to love watching this cartoon when I was younger.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/10/06 at 9:45 pm

I used to love watching this cartoon when I was younger.

Billy Cosby looked so young back then, lol, it was 34 years ago...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/10/06 at 9:45 pm

Billy Cosby looked so young back then, lol, it was 34 years ago...

oh I know! Hey, do you remember Bill Cosby and his "picture pages?"

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/10/06 at 9:49 pm

No, I don't think so. Was it a comic book or something?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/10/06 at 9:50 pm

No, I don't think so. Was it a comic book or something?

here's a link to a clip of it....I remember a different theme song on the ones that I used to see, but you get the picture. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBvjniQewsU

Written By: Davester on 07/10/06 at 10:02 pm

Yeah, Fat Albert was the last in the usual string of Saturday morning cartoons before it was time to get up, put the cereal bowl away, get changed and head outside to play...

I think it came on just before American Bandstand.  At that point, it was definitely time to jam...

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/10/06 at 10:20 pm

here's a link to a clip of it....I remember a different theme song on the ones that I used to see, but you get the picture. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBvjniQewsU

That must've been after Fat Albert ended in about 1984 I think (the date says 1988 on the thing, but Bill seemed a bit too young). Fat Albert ran on Saturday mornings from 1972-198?.

Written By: gemini on 07/11/06 at 7:49 am

I used to watch picture pages with my daughter in the 80s. I can still remember the theme song!  Actually, I can still hear her singing the theme song in my head!  ;D Awwww, memories  :( 

As for Fat Albert, I watched it every saturday morning! "Hey, hey, hey"  :D

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/11/06 at 11:51 am

I think it came on just before American Bandstand.  At that point, it was definitely time to jam...

Loved Fat Albert!  ;D  Since I was 12, 13, etc, I was "too old" for cartoons  ;)  but I made an exception here.  And Fat Albert was indeed followed by American Bandstand (oh yeah), and in my part of the world, that was followed by Soul Train (oh yeah).

Suffice it to say I was pretty hard to pry away from the TV on Saturdays during this time frame...  ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/06 at 12:53 pm

"He is like an out of work teacher-NO CLASS!"  ;D ;D

I remember one episode where they sang the Stones' "You Can't Always Get What you Want".

Cat

Written By: Sammy Reed on 07/17/06 at 11:38 am

That must've been after Fat Albert ended in about 1984 I think (the date says 1988 on the thing, but Bill seemed a bit too young).

1988 must've been when the video was made. The show itself was aired as a segment of "Captain Kangaroo" from 1979-81 or 82. They reran these when they were on Nickelodeon.
I know I made this comment on YouTube, but that was a STUPID idea to make a new theme like that, probobly because they didn't have the rights to use the real theme. They should've just used something instrumental.   

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/17/06 at 1:36 pm

That must've been after Fat Albert ended in about 1984 I think (the date says 1988 on the thing, but Bill seemed a bit too young). Fat Albert ran on Saturday mornings from 1972-198?.

Picture pages ran at the same time. It didn't start running in 1984 rather way before that.

Check for new replies or respond here...