inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1's I LOVE THE '70s - Volume 2

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/11/06 at 5:23 pm

I was watching the first installment (1970) of this last night and it was pretty good. They actually brought up the original "floppy" disk and were making fun of it to death. I hadn't seen a floppy disk in years! I got almost teary eyed!  ;D

Subject: Re: VH1's I LOVE THE '70s - Volume 2

Written By: gemini on 07/11/06 at 5:35 pm

I was watching the first installment (1970) of this last night and it was pretty good. They actually brought up the original "floppy" disk and were making fun of it to death. I hadn't seen a floppy disk in years! I got almost teary eyed!  ;D

I saw that! That thing was huge!  ;D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/11/06 at 5:49 pm

I saw that! That thing was huge!  ;D

I forgot how big they were..  ;D

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/06 at 6:51 pm

I watching 1971 now, whats up with the Actors, Comedians and Musicians they are using to
describe the years. half of them weren't born yet and the rest were, what? 2 years old at the time.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/11/06 at 7:01 pm

I watching 1971 now, whats up with the Actors, Comedians and Musicians they are using to
describe the years. half of them weren't born yet and the rest were, what? 2 years old at the time.

So?  They can still talk about them.  It's not like Viewmasters were popular for only the 70s and if you weren't alive to have one then you're SOL.  I had a Viewmaster when I was little....in fact, I still have it.  I can talk about disco artists I like or 70s movies that I like or 70s fashions that I like; being born in a later decade doesn't make me ill-equipped.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/06 at 7:14 pm

So?  They can still talk about them.  It's not like Viewmasters were popular for only the 70s and if you weren't alive to have one then you're SOL.  I had a Viewmaster when I was little....in fact, I still have it.  I can talk about disco artists I like or 70s movies that I like or 70s fashions that I like; being born in a later decade doesn't make me ill-equipped.

A viewmaster is on thing, but when a twenty something tells me he couldn't sit down with a
super comb in his pocket or how uncomfortable Sears Toughskins were, I ain't buyin' it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/11/06 at 7:16 pm

A viewmaster is on thing, but when a twenty something tells me he couldn't sit down with a
super comb in his pocket or how uncomfortable Sears Toughskins were, I ain't buyin' it.

You don't think they had Toughskins/Super Combs in the 80s?  Perhaps they had older siblings and these things were hand-me-downs, or maybe they belonged to a parent......there's no reason to assume they're lying.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 7:27 pm

I see loki's point. I remember seeing Raven Symone and some other young'uns on I love the 80s discussing some topics as if they were directly involved in them when they FIRST came out, not when they learned them through hand me downs, etc. That's one of the laughable things about them.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/11/06 at 7:29 pm

I see loki's point. I remember seeing Raven Symone and some other young'uns on I love the 80s discussing some topics as if they were directly involved in them when they FIRST came out, not when they learned them through hand me downs, etc. That's one of the laughable things about them.

I don't think anyone watches these shows expecting to see people discussing what they actually lived through/experienced during that year.  And I don't remember hearing any of them come off like they were there as it happened.....unless they were. 

Written By: loki 13 on 07/11/06 at 7:32 pm

You don't think they had Toughskins/Super Combs in the 80s?  Perhaps they had older siblings and these things were hand-me-downs, or maybe they belonged to a parent......there's no reason to assume they're lying.

I don't Assume they are lying, I do,however, assume they are given a script, given the product
and told to say something about it. I would rather hear it from someone who actually used the
product or experienced the event. It would be like me describing the Kennedy Presidency, Who
would be more believable, me, who learned about it in school or my parents, who lived it first hand.

All I'm saying is, you can tell a lot of these "spokespeople" are seeing some of these things for the
first time and have no idea what it was like to to use or have these things on a day to day basis.

For the record, when the guy said the Toughskin pants  were made out of wood I don't think
he was to far off. they were the most uncomfortable pants ever made.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/11/06 at 7:45 pm

I don't think anyone watches these shows expecting to see people discussing what they actually lived through/experienced during that year.  And I don't remember hearing any of them come off like they were there as it happened.....unless they were. 

I do think a lot of it is scripted though.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 9:41 pm

I do think a lot of it is scripted though.

Again, I would refuse to talk about the '80s (on TV)...it's not like I was around from them. However, I would do I love the '90s, for the kid's stuff.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/11/06 at 9:57 pm

I don't Assume they are lying, I do,however, assume they are given a script, given the product
and told to say something about it. I would rather hear it from someone who actually used the
product or experienced the event. It would be like me describing the Kennedy Presidency, Who
would be more believable, me, who learned about it in school or my parents, who lived it first hand.

All I'm saying is, you can tell a lot of these "spokespeople" are seeing some of these things for the
first time and have no idea what it was like to to use or have these things on a day to day basis.

For the record, when the guy said the Toughskin pants  were made out of wood I don't think
he was to far off. they were the most uncomfortable pants ever made.

I agree with you Kevin.  Another thing I don't tend to like about these "I love the..."shows is that the actors/comedians, etc who are commenting are usually overly sarcastic and almost making fun of everything in that particular decade. I would much rather hear some valid points and memories from someone who lived it...rather than second-hand knowledge and sarcastic shit from the people they have currently.

Written By: Davester on 07/11/06 at 10:12 pm

It's an entertaining enough show, but the way everything ends up being turned into some sexual double entendre gets annoying...

Yeah, I get it...funny...

Written By: MidTennHitman on 07/13/06 at 9:55 am

So far, I Love the 70s  volume two out entertains any thing I've seen on at the same time slot

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/13/06 at 12:28 pm

I don't really care who the commentaters are on there. I know most of them were rather young, but they are more or less making fun of these items in a way where you don't or didn't have to be around them as a child or teenager. I do notice the '70s people are more older, like Luis Guzman, Peter Frampton, Run DMC, and those lesser known comedians who are probably in their late 30's early '40s. But, that Antigone Rising duo - who the hell are they? I've heard them once on Conan O' Brien and seeing them on VH1's I Love the... series kinda threw me off. Yet, they seem to gather some rather unknown names and throw them onto those shows.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/13/06 at 1:03 pm

I agree with you Kevin.  Another thing I don't tend to like about these "I love the..."shows is that the actors/comedians, etc who are commenting are usually overly sarcastic and almost making fun of everything in that particular decade. I would much rather hear some valid points and memories from someone who lived it...rather than second-hand knowledge and sarcastic shit from the people they have currently.

You basically just typed my thoughts with your post! Yay.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/13/06 at 1:06 pm

You basically just typed my thoughts with your post! Yay.

Yeah, it's too bad they couldn't make it more classy and something that maybe we could look back on in fondness rather than in embarrassment.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/13/06 at 1:07 pm

That's exactly what I thought!  ;D

I like the shows for the nostalgia trips they provide, but I think they could've chosen better commentators...

Written By: Dukefan on 07/13/06 at 6:54 pm

Yeah, it's too bad they couldn't make it more classy and something that maybe we could look back on in fondness rather than in embarrassment.

I agree.  I think that some of the comments made on certain subjects are more annoying than funny.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/13/06 at 7:03 pm

It's supposed to be cheesy and stupid.  You don't watch VH1 for thoughtful cultural analysis.  That's what real channels are for. 

Written By: zcrito on 07/13/06 at 10:32 pm

It's an entertaining enough show, but the way everything ends up being turned into some sexual double entendre gets annoying...

Yeah, I get it...funny...

So true.
It's a shame they can't find some people to make some intelligent comments rather than some lame joke. But VH1 knows what they're doing and they've been doing things that way for a long time now with all their shows. Kinda sad.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/13/06 at 10:35 pm

People.....................these "I Love The *random decade*" shows aren't supposed to be thoughtful, intelligent, provoking, moving or in any way smart.  They are supposed to be funny, stupid, cheesy and shlocky. 

I can't believe anyone is surprised.

Written By: Davester on 07/13/06 at 10:38 pm

So true.
It's a shame they can't find some people to make some intelligent comments rather than some lame joke. But VH1 knows what they're doing and they've been doing things that way for a long time now with all their shows. Kinda sad.

▪ Sister ◊ Morphine ▪ pretty much summed it up.  The popular "I Love The __'s" series are, and we musn't forget, not made for us... LOL!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/13/06 at 10:42 pm

▪ Sister ◊ Morphine ▪ pretty much summed it up.  The popular "I Love The __'s" series are, and we musn't forget, not made for us... LOL!

It's not that, it's just that I don't know anyone who watches these shows expecting to learn anything.  It's VH1 for cryin' out loud, not PBS.  They have actors, comedians, and musicians come in and poke fun at things from a particular year.  They aren't supposed to ask about the cultural zeitgeist that is the Sit and Spin.

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/06 at 10:46 pm

I don't get Vh-1, so what do they talk about?  Like big hits of the 70s, albums, styles, technology, etc?

If so, we have a similar series here in Canada called "Back in 19XX" where they profile the best and worst of each year

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/13/06 at 10:47 pm

I don't get Vh-1, so what do they talk about?  Like big hits of the 70s, albums, styles, technology, etc?

If so, we have a similar series here in Canada called "Back in 19XX" where they profile the best and worst of each year

They go year by year talking about the music, movies, TV, fashions, fads, sports, politics......stuff like that.  The reason they've done each decade more than once is because you can't fit everything that happened in a year in one hour.

Written By: zcrito on 07/13/06 at 11:02 pm

People.....................these "I Love The *random decade*" shows aren't supposed to be thoughtful, intelligent, provoking, moving or in any way smart.  They are supposed to be funny, stupid, cheesy and shlocky. 

I can't believe anyone is surprised.

"...aren't supposed to be thoughtful, intelligent, provoking, moving or in any way smart.  They are supposed to be funny, stupid, cheesy and shlocky".

I can't imagine people at VH1 sitting around saying, "let's make these shows as dumb and stupid as humanly possible", but from what I've seen I may be surprised.

Is it too much to ask for people who actually know something or care about the subject they are commenting on ?

Written By: Davester on 07/13/06 at 11:11 pm

"...aren't supposed to be thoughtful, intelligent, provoking, moving or in any way smart.  They are supposed to be funny, stupid, cheesy and shlocky".

I can't imagine people at VH1 sitting around saying, "let's make these shows as dumb and stupid as humanly possible", but from what I've seen I may be surprised.

Is it too much to ask for people who actually know something or care about the subject they are commenting on ?

That's what I was getting at.  This series is not written with Xers-on-a-nostalgia-bender in mind as much as for fodder for the recent 80's retro fad...and it is a fad.  This, too, shall pass...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/13/06 at 11:12 pm

They do know what they're talking about and they do care about the subject they're commenting on, but it's VH1, not PBS.  I think you're expecting too much from a channel that's airing Peter Brady's wedding.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/14/06 at 12:25 am

They do know what they're talking about and they do care about the subject they're commenting on, but it's VH1, not PBS.  I think you're expecting too much from a channel that's airing Peter Brady's wedding.

Can I karma you again...No, i don't think it's been 24 hours yet.

The show is great, I laugh so much while watching it. 

Oh Sister didn't you watch it yesterday? Peter Brady doesn't want to be called Peter Brady...his name is Christopher Knight.  LOL!!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/14/06 at 12:30 am

Can I karma you again...No, i don't think it's been 24 hours yet.

The show is great, I laugh so much while watching it. 

Oh Sister didn't you watch it yesterday? Peter Brady doesn't want to be called Peter Brady...his name is Christopher Knight.  LOL!!

;D  ;D

I love that part.  And love these shows.......I laugh my ass off at every one of them.  Oh, and isn't Hal Sparks hotter than hell? 

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/14/06 at 12:34 am

;D   ;D

I love that part.  And love these shows.......I laugh my ass off at every one of them.  Oh, and isn't Hal Sparks hotter than hell? 

You want any pork chops and applesauce?  LOL! 

Hell yeah!!  I just wanna eat him up!! 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/14/06 at 12:35 am

You want any pork chops and applesauce?  LOL! 

Hell yeah!!  I just wanna eat him up!! 

have you all seen him on Queer as Folk? ;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/14/06 at 12:37 am

Oh god.  Stop.  Just stop.  My TV melted once because of him.

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/14/06 at 12:38 am

NO!?!  I guess I need to watch...got any good stories?  LOL!!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/14/06 at 12:44 am

NO!?!  I guess I need to watch...got any good stories?  LOL!!

oh jeez....rent the seasons of QAF...you won't be sorry. ;)

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/14/06 at 12:53 am

oh jeez....rent the seasons of QAF...you won't be sorry. ;)

OK, will do.

http://www.sparksfan.com/pics/bigin05c.jpg

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/14/06 at 12:57 am

OK, will do.

http://www.sparksfan.com/pics/bigin05c.jpg

I can find a hotter picture:

http://www.photojunkie.ca/photoblog/halsparks03.jpg

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/14/06 at 12:59 am

http://tinyurl.com/l9eev (for Hal's bare booty; I can't post that pic of course)

Holy Toledo!!!!!!!!!!!!  :P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/14/06 at 6:54 am

hubba hubba!! ;)

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/14/06 at 10:38 am

I parts of '71 and '72....

Ha.. They were talking about Malibu Barbie and the such...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/14/06 at 1:47 pm

I parts of '71 and '72....

Ha.. They were talking about Malibu Barbie and the such...

I loved Malibu Barbie in the early 80's...she came with her little beach towel and sun glasses! LOL!

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/14/06 at 2:11 pm

I loved Malibu Barbie in the early 80's...she came with her little beach towel and sun glasses! LOL!

I had a rendition of Malibu barbie in the '80s, too, and also a Dentist Barbie (she changed her careers a lot!)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/14/06 at 5:27 pm

It's not that, it's just that I don't know anyone who watches these shows expecting to learn anything.  It's VH1 for cryin' out loud, not PBS.  They have actors, comedians, and musicians come in and poke fun at things from a particular year.  They aren't supposed to ask about the cultural zeitgeist that is the Sit and Spin.

I actually do go into it learning about something. I mean, there are things I didn't know about the floppy disc that I know now. But, I just don't wholeheartedly put my faith in what the people are saying about it in jest. I know they're being a bunch of smartasses about it all, so I can't take it all that seriously except to enjoy the products/events/people they're making fun of.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/14/06 at 5:29 pm

I actually do go into it learning about something. I mean, there are things I didn't know about the floppy disc that I know now. But, I just don't wholeheartedly put my faith in what the people are saying about it in jest. I know they're being a bunch of smartasses about it all, so I can't take it all that seriously except to enjoy the products/events/people they're making fun of.

I learn things too, but the way people were talking, you'd think this was supposed to be a hard-biting documentary directed by Sofia Coppola or something. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/14/06 at 5:32 pm

I learn things too, but the way people were talking, you'd think this was supposed to be a hard-biting documentary directed by Sofia Coppola or something. 

Yeah, I agree. Yet, in a way, if they could make a more serious documentary on this stuff, it would be pretty nifty.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/14/06 at 5:34 pm

Yeah, I agree. Yet, in a way, if they could make a more serious documentary on this stuff, it would be pretty nifty.

If they made a documentary on the 70s, I'd watch it.  I'm a sucker for that stuff.

Written By: Paul on 07/14/06 at 5:39 pm

We had a variant of this kind of programme on British TV not long back...

It was enjoyable to a degree, but I don't care for the 'talking heads' (regardless of whether they were around at the time, or not...) There seems to be much too much emphasis on them...

These programmes would do well to watch and learn from a fantastic programme called 'The Rock & Roll Years' which ran year-by-year from 1956 to 1989 (I think!)...

Quite simply, it used archive footage of relevant TV programmes and newsreels with the corresponding year's music playing away in the background, with some 'scrolling' information provided on-screen at times...

I do wish they'd re-run it...it's been too long!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/14/06 at 5:42 pm

We had a variant of this kind of programme on British TV not long back...

It was enjoyable to a degree, but I don't care for the 'talking heads' (regardless of whether they were around at the time, or not...) There seems to be much too much emphasis on them...

These programmes would do well to watch and learn from a fantastic programme called 'The Rock & Roll Years' which ran year-by-year from 1956 to 1989 (I think!)...

Quite simply, it used archive footage of relevant TV programmes and newsreels with the corresponding year's music playing away in the background, with some 'scrolling' information provided on-screen at times...

I do wish they'd re-run it...it's been too long!

I would love to see a show like that!  It sounds awesome!!  8)

Written By: Paul on 07/14/06 at 5:55 pm

I would love to see a show like that!  It sounds awesome!!  8)

It was a highly regarded programme, Karen...almost everyone I've spoken to who watched it has always sang its praises...

Wasn't so much an 'entertainment' programme...more like a enjoyable history lesson!

But like most popular (and enjoyable) things, it's been locked away until whenever!  :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/14/06 at 6:08 pm

It was a highly regarded programme, Karen...almost everyone I've spoken to who watched it has always sang its praises...

Wasn't so much an 'entertainment' programme...more like a enjoyable history lesson!

That's the sort of program I'd like...one that deals with the facts and not what everybody thinks about what happened back then... :)

But like most popular (and enjoyable) things, it's been locked away until whenever!  :-\\

How sad... :(

Written By: Paul on 07/14/06 at 6:16 pm

That's the sort of program I'd like...one that deals with the facts and not what everybody thinks about what happened back then... :)

I think that's why it's so fondly remembered by many people...it just does the job without 'interruptions'

How sad... :(

I think I'll start a one-man crusade to 'free it' from the archives!  ;)

It shouldn't be 'wasting away' in there...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 07/14/06 at 6:50 pm

I think I'll start a one-man crusade to 'free it' from the archives!  ;)

It shouldn't be 'wasting away' in there...

Should you have any luck, make sure to tape it and send it my way!  ;)

Written By: Davester on 07/14/06 at 7:47 pm

I used to watch a documentary series on The History Channel called Year-by-Year.  The hour long show would take a year, anywhere from the 1930's to the late 1980's, present a rough outline of noteworthy persons, world events, politics, television, movies, music, print, etc. and present it free of bad puns...

Naturally, I watched (and recorded) any which featured an 80's year.  Nice time capsules.  Perhaps you've heard of it...

Check for new replies or respond here...